RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 Coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should coach the USA in 2016?
Kim Mulkey
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Holly Warlick
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mike Thibault
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Dawn Staley
22%
 22%  [ 12 ]
Geno Auriemma
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Corey Gaines
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Muffett McGraw
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Gary Blair
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Brenda Frese
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Marynell Meadows
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Doug Bruno
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Carol Ross
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Some one else
14%
 14%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 54

sipfinest

PostPosted: 08/14/12 2:44 pm    ::: 2016 Coach Reply Reply with quote

Who will be the 2016 coach?

PostPosted: 08/14/12 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I say Kim Mulkey but Dawn Staley is a close 2nd

PostPosted: 08/14/12 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I assume Meadows means Meadors. She seems like a likely candidate.

PostPosted: 08/14/12 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point in time, I'd guess Dawn Staley or Kim Mulkey.

It would reunite Mulkey with Griner and Sims which America will love, however, I'd go with Staley personally for various reasons...

Last edited by RavenDog on 08/14/12 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 08/14/12 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see what Dawn Staley has done as a coach to merit a job like this.

PostPosted: 08/14/12 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Cheryl Reeve?

No Dan Hughes?

No Nell Fortner?

No Lin Dunn?

No Brian Agler?

Most shockingly omitted, no Trudi Lacey?

mb1

PostPosted: 08/14/12 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno Auriemma (2012), Theresa Grentz (1992), Anne Donovan (2008), Van Chancellor (2004), Nell Fortner (2000), Billie Jean Moore (1976) and Pat Summitt (1984).

From a photo on Facebook posted by NCAA.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
pilight

PostPosted: 08/14/12 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Geno Auriemma (2012), Theresa Grentz (1992), Anne Donovan (2008), Van Chancellor (2004), Nell Fortner (2000), Billie Jean Moore (1976) and Pat Summitt (1984).

From a photo on Facebook posted by NCAA.

Where's Tara?

PostPosted: 08/14/12 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Thank you.

RP

PostPosted: 08/14/12 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sticking with one of the assistants from 2008 (Staley, Thibault and Goestenkors), but it wouldn't be shocking to see Auriemma back. My vote goes to Staley.

wadethered

PostPosted: 08/14/12 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree about Staley's lack of resume, however I attribute that more to her lack of recruiting that lack of coaching ability. I'd like to see what she can do with some actual talent.

It doesn't really matter all that much who the coach is, though. Team USA is gonna dominate just as hard in Rio as they did in London no matter what.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/14/12 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
I agree about Staley's lack of resume, however I attribute that more to her lack of recruiting that lack of coaching ability. I'd like to see what she can do with some actual talent.

I'd like to see her drive over 50 before I give her the keys to the Maserati.

PostPosted: 08/14/12 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I assume Meadows means Meadors. She seems like a likely candidate.

Lol... My bad, I was typing fast.

PostPosted: 08/14/12 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

This.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Shades

PostPosted: 08/14/12 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/14/12 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Reeve

I Minnesota wins another title this year, Reeve would definitely be on the short list. That she has never participated in a USA Basketball coaching staff (she hasn't, right?) would be an obstacle though.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 08/14/12 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
wadethered wrote:

The 2016 USA Olympic team players (right now) could have won the Gold with Nolan Richardson at the wheel of that shiny red sports car. And since when does someone have to be one of the winningest coaches in history to get a spot in the Olympics? Especially if they've already led Olympic teams to Gold on the floor, been an assistant Olympic coach previously and is a class act in regards to representing the USA..

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/14/12 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:
wadethered wrote:

The 2016 USA Olympic team players (right now) could have won the Gold with Nolan Richardson at the wheel of that shiny red sports car. And since when does someone have to be one of the winningest coaches in history to get a spot in the Olympics? Especially if they've already led Olympic teams to Gold on the floor, been an assistant Olympic coach previously and is a class act in regards to representing the USA..

And Andrea Riley could win a gold medal if you put her on the bench as the 12th woman. How about getting the best coach and the coach who deserves the opportunity to win that medal?

pilight

PostPosted: 08/14/12 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:
wadethered wrote:

Staley was one of the assistants when we lost to Russia in the 2006 World Championships, with several of these same players. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of her ability to coach on this stage. It also demonstrates that Team USA is not unbeatable, especially if we pick the wrong coach.

PostPosted: 08/14/12 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve!

RavenDog

PostPosted: 08/14/12 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:
wadethered wrote:

Staley was one of the assistants when we lost to Russia in the 2006 World Championships, with several of these same players. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of her ability to coach on this stage. It also demonstrates that Team USA is not unbeatable, especially if we pick the wrong coach.

Laughing Come on! You can do better than that! You're blaming an assistant coach for the loss? Come on! Laughing

How many Gold medals did Dawn win while leading on the floor? How many did Meadors win? Zero? And, how many black women Olympic head coaches were there?

Shades

PostPosted: 08/15/12 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:
wadethered wrote:

Laughing Come on! You can do better than that! You're blaming an assistant coach for the loss? Come on! Laughing

How many Gold medals did Dawn win while leading on the floor? How many did Meadors win? Zero? And, how many black women Olympic head coaches were there?

Using pilight logic, that means Gillom deserves a lot of credit for this year's win. I guess that makes her a leading candidate for a head coaching job in the wnba. Razz

pilight

PostPosted: 08/15/12 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Staley was the starting PG for one Olympic gold medal winning team, in 2004.

Meadors was long out of playing when the Olympics began including WBB in 1976. She was busy winning conference championships coaching Middle Tennessee at the time. Her record as a mid-major coach is comparable to Staley.

We haven't had a black woman head coach for Team USA basketball. Staley would be a curious place to start. Why not C Vivian Stringer? She's been a Team USA assistant before and is much more proven than Staley.

PostPosted: 08/15/12 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:
wadethered wrote:

The assistant coach is probably not the first place one would search, but when you take a team so talented that even I could coach it to a gold medal, and it gets a bronze, then it's fair to ask some questions of all involved.
On the other hand, if you take a team so talented that even I could coach it to a gold medal, and it gets a gold medal, it's kinda hard to determine just how great a coaching performance it was.

PostPosted: 08/15/12 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I kinda wonder if pilight's staunch anti-Staley-ism has anything to do with her love of Whalen, because pilight is clearly the anti-Whalen also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWqW9R0jecY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: