RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Diana Taurasi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/16/12 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find the 'late return from London' thing even more hilarious than the 'injured' thing. Uh, she's coming from the same place as Sue Bird, heading to the same place as Sue Bird: and Bird's been around for a couple of days. There's an awful lot of flights from London to the US, trust me. The only reason to have a 'late return' is if they told her (or she chose) not to hurry back. Or even dawdle back. More like a vague amble along the scenic route, with a couple of detours, and a stop to see the World's Biggest Ball of Yarn.

PostPosted: 08/16/12 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I find the 'late return from London' thing even more hilarious than the 'injured' thing. Uh, she's coming from the same place as Sue Bird, heading to the same place as Sue Bird: and Bird's been around for a couple of days. There's an awful lot of flights from London to the US, trust me. The only reason to have a 'late return' is if they told her (or she chose) not to hurry back. Or even dawdle back. More like a vague amble along the scenic route, with a couple of detours, and a stop to see the World's Biggest Ball of Yarn.

She went by boat. Then train to Phoenix.

Seriously, though, I am not surprised by them doing this as another loss to Seattle practically ensures their place in the lottery. I was expecting them to play DT a few games and then pull the "we need to shut her down" excuse but it sounds like Corey is already trying to spin it like she wasn't 100% even in the Olympics. Yet, the dot com thinks she looked impressive.

http://www.wnba.com/features/midseason-report-mercury.html

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/16/12 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did ask Geno today about Diana returning, as he mentioned how much fun he had with her. (BTW, he said Lily Taurasi told him she still hates him)

He said he does not know if she is coming back this year, it was never discussed.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/16/12 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I did ask Geno today about Diana returning, as he mentioned how much fun he had with her. (BTW, he said Lily Taurasi told him she still hates him)

He said he does not know if she is coming back this year, it was never discussed.

Why does Lilly hate Geno? He's such a nice guy!

Did Geno have any comment on DT's play or health status during the tournament? Maybe an explanation for why she missed too many 3s?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/16/12 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Did Geno have any comment on DT's play or health status during the tournament? Maybe an explanation for why she missed too many 3s?

Too many people, too little time to break down players' games.

When asked about the rest of the world catching up, he did comment that if they decide they've had enough, there's no Birds, Taurasis, or Catchingseseseses out there.

I did ask if anyone surprised him, and his answer is the video we have on hoopfeed now.

http://t.co/IvhADTxZ

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/16/12 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

She ended up shooting 43% from behind the arc (15 of 35) The best of the team Laughing 2nd best 3P% was 33% and that was Sue Bird. Lets just say that team USA shot poorly from behind the arc. DT was bad in the first 3 games (3 of 15) and then went 12 of 20 in the last 5 games.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/16/12 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I asked the Mercury PR guy, and this is the complete answer:

"Diana did not make the trip to Seattle due to a late return from London so she won't play tonight. As of now, no specific timetable has been set for her return."

I mentioned that it would be hard to justify an injury given that she played the most minutes in London, but as you can see, he did not respond.

PostPosted: 08/16/12 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

"Diana did not make the trip to Seattle due to a late return from London so she won't play tonight. As of now, no specific timetable has been set for her return."

I wonder how uncomfortable Mechelle Voepel will be seeing this answer. A must-win game for Phoenix (if they had playoffs in sight) and Taurasi is being casual about returning.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/16/12 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or in other words, "The Mercury announced today that Diana Taurasi will miss 6-8 weeks with jet lag."

PostPosted: 08/16/12 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
When asked about the rest of the world catching up, he did comment that if they decide they've had enough, there's no Birds, Taurasis, or Catchingseseseses out there.

Yeah, and a generation ago there were no more Edwardses, Coopers or McClains out there...

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 08/16/12 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I mentioned that it would be hard to justify an injury given that she played the most minutes in London, but as you can see, he did not respond.

Pathetic.

ccollin13

PostPosted: 08/16/12 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Or in other words, "The Mercury announced today that Diana Taurasi will miss 6-8 weeks with jet lag."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

coffy73

PostPosted: 08/16/12 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Pathetic.

Very pathetic!

tfan

PostPosted: 08/16/12 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coffy73 wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Pathetic.

Very pathetic!

Extremely pathetic.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/16/12 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and the Mercury's 2013 starting line-up will be: Prahalis-Taurasi-Taylor-Dupree-Griner. Their bench will consist of Hornbuckle-Bonner-Houston-Thomas-Warley-#13 pick(guard). Sanford & Gray-Lawson are dumped.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/17/12 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
and the Mercury's 2013 starting line-up will be: Prahalis-Taurasi-Taylor-Dupree-Griner. Their bench will consist of Hornbuckle-Bonner-Houston-Thomas-Warley-#13 pick(guard). Sanford & Gray-Lawson are dumped.

We're gonna have to find someone better than Hornbuckle.. Razz

It's probably good for DT in the long run to get some rest. no point in her playing either. But I will miss seeing her on the court. I've still got Sammy tho.

PostPosted: 08/17/12 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It's probably good for DT in the long run to get some rest. no point in her playing either. But I will miss seeing her on the court. I've still got Sammy tho.

The Mercury will never get Griner! and if they tank and get the first pick the League will take it away...how can Taurasi tank and call herself be a professional? The League can not have this happen

Tally24

PostPosted: 08/17/12 4:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

The Mercury will never get Griner! and if they tank and get the first pick the League will take it away...how can Taurasi tank and call herself be a professional? The League can not have this happen

How do we know that Taurasi isn't being "urged" to sit out by the FO?
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 08/17/12 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

How do we know that Taurasi isn't being "urged" to sit out by the FO?

I firmly believe that whatever Taurasi has done this season (or not), and whatever she has yet to do (or not), is with the tacit approval (if not encouragement) of the Merc's front office. And if she misses a bunch more games, the WNBA should take a page out of the Olympic Badminton playbook.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/17/12 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The lib and mystic fans are becoming more competitive about the lottery than they are about actually winning games. Where are the tulsa fans? Very Happy

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 08/17/12 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The lib and mystic fans are becoming more competitive about the lottery than they are about actually winning games. Where are the tulsa fans? Very Happy

Don't get me wrong. Trudi Lacey may well be the Mystics' Diana Taurasi. It's just harder to prove. (And harder to believe that The Sheila has an actual basketball plan....)

Shades

PostPosted: 08/17/12 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Shades wrote:

Don't get me wrong. Trudi Lacey may well be the Mystics' Diana Taurasi. It's just harder to prove. (And harder to believe that The Sheila has an actual basketball plan....)

The plan probably is to see what lacey can do with this team and a top 3 2013 lottery pick. In particular, if lacey has griner with no injuries to the team and she still can't make the playoffs, I think it'll be pretty easy to find somebody eager to coach/gm Griner.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 08/17/12 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When is the next time she can become a free agent? It seems to me like free agency would be a much easier and ethical manner in which to pursue another ring.

PostPosted: 08/17/12 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Though Taurasi should definitely play this year, and there's no excuse for missing this game, Phoenix is still horrible. Even with her, they can't really compete, as Seattle was without LJ and Wauters and Bird played 10 minutes.

Taylor and Dupree are both still out (as is Charde Houston, but that's not a critical loss), and a jet-lagged DT (none of the Olympians played well last night, I don't think) wouldn't have made a difference.

And the loss pretty much eliminated any miraculous run at a playoff spot. Even the best teams can't be expected to go 15-2 or 14-3.

Now, it's about the Mercury front office and Taurasi honoring their commitment to the fans, sponsors and ESPN, and suiting her up for most of the rest of the season.

PostPosted: 08/17/12 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
a jet-lagged DT (none of the Olympians played well last night, I don't think) wouldn't have made a difference.

Catchings played well, and the player considered "the heart and soul" of Team USA surely wold have made a difference. Just having 9 active players instead of 8 makes a big difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: