RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Heart And Soul of Women's Hoops
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 08/11/12 7:39 pm    ::: The Heart And Soul of Women's Hoops Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Taurasi is six-feet, 165 pounds of raw energy, her face an ever-changing Rorschach, her game a combination of Showtime and Slowtime, for she can play either way, though she vastly prefers the former. Her game against France was typical Taurasi: 9 points, 6 assists, 3 rebounds, three gorgeous pick-and-roll passes to Parker, skin-tight defense on Frances star, point guard Celine Dumerc, who was held to eight points and, most tellingly, one assist.

And all the while, Taurasi never stopped chattering. She is a right-hander who can go left, but she is definitely a right-brainer, a player of instinct and imagination.

Moreover, Taurasi represents the paradigm for what the womens game has become at its highest level, which is to say the Team USA level. Her childhood heroes were Jordan and Magic. (For the record she is much more like Magic, controlling the game without necessarily scoring.) She starred at UConn, venturing east from her native California because thats where the big-time game was. She has now been a mainstay on three straight gold-medal winning teams. She won two championships with the Phoenix Mercury of the WNBA. She is the driving force for a pro team in Russia where she has been adopted like a native.

The worst thing about it? Only in Russia is her true basketball genius recognized.

Taurasi and her teammates have written themselves into American sports history as one of our greatest teams ever. If you havent noticed, thats on you. The victory over France was Team USAs 41st straight without a loss dating back to a bronze-medal win in the 1992 Games, and this gold is its fifth in a row.

This is the usually the point when you write, And we will not see their likes again. Except we might.

There is a chance that all of them will be returning and one of them is coming back for sure.

Hell, yes, Im going to be in Rio, said Taurasi, her arms draped around veteran teammates Sue Bird and Tamika Catchings.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/basketball/taurasi-is-heart-soul-of-worlds-best-team.html

Randy

PostPosted: 08/12/12 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never been a Taurais fan, but I really did like her comment about feeling sorry for the Aussies. There is no room for sympathy in basketball......

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/12/12 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I've never been a Taurais fan, but I really did like her comment about feeling sorry for the Aussies. There is no room for sympathy in basketball......

I loved her comment. "I don't feel sorry for anyone, we came here to win gold".

Then the comment about going to Rio.

Then Taurasi visibly moved to tears during the medal ceremony.
norwester

PostPosted: 08/12/12 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I think her "no sympathy" comment was a little bit in poor taste...a little too personally vindictive. Doesn't make me like Taurasi any less, but I'd hardly applaud her for it. I was grimacing right along with Sue Bird. I was amused by the Rio comments, though. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/12/12 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there actually writing on the flag she is holding? Not cool.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out how she's the "heart & soul" of the team?

Last edited by luvDhoops on 08/12/12 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/12/12 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

suemar wrote:

Apparently that's been the slogan for the women's team even though Geno thinks it's idiotic. Laughing

Was Dee trying to have her own Brandi moment when she was lifting up her shirt.. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/12/12 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Well, I think her "no sympathy" comment was a little bit in poor taste...a little too personally vindictive. Doesn't make me like Taurasi any less, but I'd hardly applaud her for it. I was grimacing right along with Sue Bird. I was amused by the Rio comments, though. Laughing

Dee didn't volunteer a "no sympathy" comment. She was ASKED by the idiot interviewer if she felt sympathy for the Australians because they came up short of a gold medal again. Her answer to this absurd question was honest.

Did anyone ask Kobe or Lebron if they felt any sympathy for Spain today?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/12/12 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
norwester wrote:

Dee didn't volunteer a "no sympathy" comment. She was ASKED by the idiot interviewer if she felt sympathy for the Australians because they came up short of a gold medal again. Her answer to this absurd question was honest.

If they had, I'd imagine they'd get a similar answer.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Question There's honest, and there's honest. You're mileage clearly varies. That's fine, I guess. Pretend there are no undercurrents at play.

Also there are no equivalents to US-Aus rivalry/interpersonal entanglements in the men's game. I don't know why you'd bring them up. Though Argentina was the semis game, not Spain.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
suemar wrote:

Apparently that's been the slogan for the women's team even though Geno thinks it's idiotic. Laughing

How about respecting the flag? Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/12/12 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
suemar wrote:

How about respecting the flag? Wink

Well I figured that was the issue. I was just referencing the slogan that was disrespecting it.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:

Not for you to figure out.
Her teammates think so and her Coaches think so which pretty much means, she is.

seriously, we aren't at practice, or on the team bus, or at team dinners or in the huddle, so how can we judge?

PostPosted: 08/12/12 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Not for you to figure out.
Her teammates think so and her Coaches think so which pretty much means, she is.

seriously, we aren't at practice, or on the team bus, or at team dinners or in the huddle, so how can we judge?

I asked a simple question. There was no judgement. Thanks.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="norwester
Also there are no equivalents to US-Aus rivalry/interpersonal entanglements in the men's game. .[/quote]

Kobe and Pau???
sbjules

PostPosted: 08/12/12 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
norwester wrote:

Good Point
Pau & Kobe are very close friends, much like Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/12/12 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
norwester wrote:

Good Point
Pau & Kobe are very close friends, much like Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson.

I didn't know there was an issue with Taurasi and Jackson until this Olympics. Confused

That's a shame. Sucks for Birdy.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I'm sure the Australian players don't need her or anyone else feeling sorry for them either, that would feel patronising to me.

Ottie

PostPosted: 08/12/12 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

x________________

suemar

PostPosted: 08/13/12 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The disrepect of the flag was totally amazing and I cant recall seeing a team writing on one during the Olympics. It shouldnt have happened. period.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

suemar wrote:
The disrepect of the flag was totally amazing and I cant recall seeing a team writing on one during the Olympics. It shouldnt have happened. period.

X__________

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/13/12 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
suemar wrote:

X__________

Several other countries had it done too; you could see it in the crowds.

Just saying, doesn't make it right, and I don't agree with it either.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/13/12 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:

Right on the money. Thats why Sue had that look on her face

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
grrlagent

PostPosted: 08/13/12 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
suemar wrote:

X__________

Several other countries had it done too; you could see it in the crowds.

Just saying, doesn't make it right, and I don't agree with it either.

Not defending anyone, but it MAY be possible that they aren't aware of the complexities of flag etiquette. I know many people who don't know you aren't supposed to let a flag touch the ground, etc. Seriously, I doubt if anybody on that team or affiliated with the program knew it was disrespectful in the least they would not have allowed it to happen. Flag etiquette is not taught in elementary school. I think people should give them the benefit of the doubt, especially Taurasi. I'm pretty sure she bleeds red, white, and blue. [/i]

#NATC

PostPosted: 08/13/12 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only way I knew there was such a thing as flag etiquette was from reading it on this message board.
I would expect Taurasi to know about it, as clearly keeping up with the hot topics at Rebkell is something she should be doing. But for the average schmo running around London I can easily understand why they might make a flag faux pas.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: