RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Semi-final USA-Opals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boogiezen

PostPosted: 08/10/12 2:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too much favoritism...

I can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/10/12 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had a fantastic seat for this game - 7th row center court. Across from me was a ton of empty seats as the sports federations once again were no-shows. So many prime seats going to waste. But fear not - the rest of the stands were packed.

The Opals guards played much better today and were able to get the ball into Cambage in the first half. Lauren's role seemed to be to deal with the defenders to free up Cambage. She was consistently in the better position for the rebounds, too. Had Cambage been in better condition and had they had Taylor and Phillips the outcome could really have been different. But maybe not as Geno adjusted his defense very well at the half.

Taurasi allowed herself to be mentally taken out of the game by fouls that were or were not called. You could see her just glaring at the refs and hanging back on transition. Bringing Whalen in and shifting Sue to shooting guard was a good move tonight. Not sure why we saw so little of Angel and Jones's defensive impact may not have shown up in the box score but it was very real.

Many fans obviously expected France to be in this game and Australia the next. There were lots of folks looking to swap tickets at the tube station (selling/buying is ilegal).

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/10/12 3:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nsw43 wrote:
Jones definitely made a difference in the game. But Whalen and Augustus saved the day.

Yes, I think Jones' biggest contribution was being on the floor with the right group and fitting in well. And that's not as easy as it may sound...

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/10/12 4:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
nsw43 wrote:
Jones definitely made a difference in the game. But Whalen and Augustus saved the day.

seems like whalen or augustus or angel always save the day...

Bird was 5 of 5 shooting(10 pts) in the first half and she kept them close in the first half. But i agree that i want to see more minutes for Whalen.
When she came in for DT in the 2nd half and she and Sue played together things began to flow. They both can play off the ball and be agressive and score

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant

Last edited by Michelle89 on 08/10/12 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/10/12 4:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Taurasi was convinced her teammates could do a better job of negating the Aussies' bigs, the duo strode into the locker room at halftime and unloaded on their star-studded roster.

"I went off for about eight minutes, and then Sue went at it for a good four,'' Taurasi said. "It was basketball stuff, you know? Australia's a big team. If you think you can just come down and play them one-on-one, then you're out of your mind.''
Quote:
So the team's leading scorer, who absolutely hates to sit, who had drilled two monster 3-pointers to jump-start the U.S. in the third, was yanked from the game at one of its most critical junctures.

But herein lies the beauty of this U.S. team. It is so deep the Americans managed just fine without one of their most strong-willed leaders.

Lindsay Whalen, who is playing some of the best basketball of her career, checked in and scored six straight points for the Americans. Tri-captain Tamika Catchings and Angel McCoughtry ratcheted up the defensive pressure and Charles starting working over Cambage in the post.
Quote:
Order was restored once Seimone Augustus added some key baskets, and Jones, who has not logged significant minutes during these Games, displayed the kind of defensive toughness that earned her a spot on this team in first place. She forced two turnovers, blocked a shot and boxed the Aussie bigs off the glass.
Quote:
Asked if she sensed Auriemma might go to her, Jones said, "Actually, I think Dee told Coach to put me in.''

"I gave him the little nod,'' Taurasi confirmed.
Laughing
Quote:
By the time Taurasi checked back in with 4:48 left in the game, the U.S. was on top 76-66 and had matters in hand. That did not stop her from sticking her nose back into the fray, jostling with Australian forward Rachel Jarry and trading shoves with Samantha Richards.

"The pushing makes me crazy. Dee is so important to us, and if the wrong thing happens " Bird said, trailing off. "Dee just has to live on the edge.
Quote:
That doesn't mean that Taurasi has any intentions of toning it down. As the final ticks clicked off, Australia's defenders bumped Taurasi numerous times with the intent of stopping the clock and sending her to the line. When the referees failed to call the initial contact, Taurasi harrumphed at them incredulously. When they finally blew the whistle, she flashed them one of her smartest wise-guy grins and kicked the ball back soccer style. Asked if she wanted to kill Taurasi when she did that, Bird rolled her eyes and answered quite simply, "Yes.''

"If they're going to [expletive] me up for one whole possession, well, then, that's what happens,'' Taurasi said. "I mean, come on, right?"
Thats the DT we all know Laughing
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/espnw/story/_/id/8251001/2012-summer-olympics-diana-taurasi-brings-winning-attitude-us-women

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/10/12 5:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
pilight wrote:
Taurasi sits, and Team USA spurts out to their largest lead of the day. hmmm

Sun posts + Lynx perimeter...

I talked about this before the Games even started, and I'm surprised Geno hasn't done more of it - using team units who already have familiarity with each other. It just makes sense when you have so little preparation time. And it's far, far more recent familiarity than UConn. It was the Whalen/Augustus/Moore and Jones/Charles units that took the game away from Australia.

But then, I think Geno's gameplan - if there even was one for this game - was awful. The US did virtually nothing to exploit Australia's weaknesses, and eventually scraped by through basic depth of talent (as always). They got away with this one.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/basketball/highlights-u-s-women-advance-to-gold-medal-game.html

anyone else see the elbow shove Cambage gave to Charles? it's at the 3:04 mark at the end of the game.

To me, it looked like Charles had her arm hooked up and Cambage was trying to free her arm.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned what appeared to be Cambage almost punching Catchings at some point in the second half. The refs called a foul but didn't appear to see what the camera saw - which was Cambage's fist connecting with Catching's stomach. They replayed it on the nbcolympics.com live feed a few times and the commentators seemed convinced it was a punch. I'm not sure myself, but it looked like Cambage had a fist.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 08/10/12 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"LAUREN Jackson has warned that she might have played her last Olympic basketball tournament after a semi-final loss to the United States gave her losses to the Americans at four straight Olympics.
But the flag-bearer for the Australian team at the London opening ceremony said she would be pushing her teammates to concentrate on lifting themselves for their bronze-medal, using blunt language to put the US loss in perspective.

'Shit happens,' she said, as she stressed at a press conference that the players have to get over the 86-73 semi-final loss."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/london-games/lauren-jackson-flags-quitting-after-opals-semi-final-loss-to-us/story-fne3ajoz-1226447308539

PostPosted: 08/10/12 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a Cambage Rampage... Shocked

I think Penny Taylor would have made the difference in giving AUS the best chance to upset the USA, especially in this game. And once again, I'm hoping that some Tulsa trade lands Lauren and Liz together in Seattle..

I'm sure Lauren will be back for Rio... I mean it was just a few years ago that she said she's looking for a 6'6" Brazilian after fans kept on asking her to marry them Razz

BTW, if anyone didn't mention this before, Ann Meyer's sidekick, Bob Fitzgerald, is the play-by-play for the Golden State Warriors. I always thought he was good.

TonyL222

PostPosted: 08/10/12 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ccollin13 wrote:
Shades wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/basketball/highlights-u-s-women-advance-to-gold-medal-game.html

anyone else see the elbow shove Cambage gave to Charles? it's at the 3:04 mark at the end of the game.

To me, it looked like Charles had her arm hooked up and Cambage was trying to free her arm.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned what appeared to be Cambage almost punching Catchings at some point in the second half. The refs called a foul but didn't appear to see what the camera saw - which was Cambage's fist connecting with Catching's stomach. They replayed it on the nbcolympics.com live feed a few times and the commentators seemed convinced it was a punch. I'm not sure myself, but it looked like Cambage had a fist.

It didn't look intentional to me. I'd like to see more of the Bird/Whalen combo. Whalen gets it done.

Charles did a great job on Cambage in the 2nd half, but she's gotta be tired as hell! She had to work at 300% for 20 minutes.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got to watch this game at work, I work at an Adult day care center, and if I had a dollar for every person in the room who made a comment about how hard the women play, or how they are so much tougher then they thought, well I could buy a juicy steak dinner with all those dollars, lol.

I LOVE that the Olympics gives people a chance to really see the sport in all it's glory!

PostPosted: 08/10/12 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ccollin13 wrote:
Shades wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:

Looked like a normal "brace yourself" type play to me. Cambage is camped out in the paint. Catchings (as is her wont) is barreling down on her. Cambage puts her arms up in the classic "screen" position and Catchings runs into her. If Cambage had been moving less I'd question there even being a foul called. Sometimes you get hurt running into bigger players, because...they're bigger. Wink

I was more entertained by watching Lauren screen Sue off a couple of times. Or when Sue knocked the ball out of Lauren's hands and they both went after it ended with LJ diving out of bounds. They were both laughing. Less funny was Taurasi deliberately running into Lauren a couple of times until a foul was called on her. Rolling Eyes I like that Sue calls D out for her antics. Laughing (P.S. don't flame me: I like Taurasi).

PostPosted: 08/10/12 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
Asjha Jones answered the questions about why she's on the team in the 4th quarter

you listenin', RAF??? Cool

Didn't get to see the game. Daggone work! But, I'll take everyone's word for it that Asjha finally earned her spot on the squad. Go Asjha! So, now we just have Swin who doesn't seem to belong. Prove me wrong!

It might have been sarcasm. She had:
0 pts (0-0), 0 reb, 1 ast, 1 to, 1 stl, 1 blk in 9:48

No, it wasn't. Jones did an outstanding job yesterday defending, screening and doing the little things.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/10/12 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

I was more entertained by watching Lauren screen Sue off a couple of times. Or when Sue knocked the ball out of Lauren's hands and they both went after it ended with LJ diving out of bounds. They were both laughing. Less funny was Taurasi deliberately running into Lauren a couple of times until a foul was called on her. Rolling Eyes I like that Sue calls D out for her antics. Laughing (P.S. don't flame me: I like Taurasi).

It was good to see LJ having fun during the game normally she is all intense and focussed but on those plays with Sue and her reaction to Cambage balling out of her mind in the first half was great to see Smile

Yes that 3rd foul on Taurasi was just stupid Rolling Eyes being in the top of the zone just pushing, shoving and running into LJ untill she got called for the foul and then still not believing why she got the foul Laughing I was holding my breath that they wouldnt get into it right there cuz they both have a temper. Luckily it didnt get out of hand

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/10/12 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jenny Screen a day after the game
https://twitter.com/#!/laurenej15/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2F77cnDldS

Good to see that the Opals are having fun
Laughing
https://twitter.com/laurenej15/status/233924575946211328/photo/1/large

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/10/12 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
pilight wrote:

I talked about this before the Games even started, and I'm surprised Geno hasn't done more of it - using team units who already have familiarity with each other. It just makes sense when you have so little preparation time. And it's far, far more recent familiarity than UConn. It was the Whalen/Augustus/Moore and Jones/Charles units that took the game away from Australia.

And to connect the two, the Moore-Charles UConn connection is much more recent and more likely to still work that the other UCONN players.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/10/12 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
Angel and Whalen need more playing time. USA seemed to do so much better when Whalen is in the game. And as much as Angel irritates me during a WNBA season, she is having a great tournament and not getting enough minutes.

Bird had a great game against the Opals. She's also the team's starting point guard and the leader.

Whalen's been excellent. But the reality is, Bird's going to get more minutes.

Angel, I like her energy off the bench, and she's been awesome too. But once again, I'm not going to give Taurasi less minutes, and I'm not going to give Catchings or SA less minutes. Depending on the game I might give Maya less minutes, but that's very much dependant on the game, particularly because Maya and Angel's games are so different, that the choice becomes what do you need.

But really, can we quit complaining about the playing time. It's ridiculous. This team is extremely talented and no, minutes aren't going to be completely balanced.

Any other coach and there wouldn't be this crying. And any other coach would be playing Taurasi and Bird the majority of the guard minutes. So just knock it off and enjoy the gold medal game. There's been no saving the day, THIS game was the only close game of the tournament besides Croatia. So..lol. And Taurasi has been our best player for the 3 games prior to Australia.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I'm not going to give Taurasi less minutes

Why on Earth not? Taurasi has not really played very well for the most part. She shot lights out in the meaningless game against China and did pretty well against Canada, but overall her shot has been off.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
I'm not going to give Taurasi less minutes

Why on Earth not? Taurasi has not really played very well for the most part. She shot lights out in the meaningless game against China and did pretty well against Canada, but overall her shot has been off.

Well, that's part of the master plan, so she can claim injury and sit out the rest of the year, don't you know that?

Seriously, she definitely isn't playing at the best she can; but I'm not sure I wouldn't want her in more than anyone else on the team with the game on the line....if it comes to that.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/10/12 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:
Angel and Whalen need more playing time. USA seemed to do so much better when Whalen is in the game. And as much as Angel irritates me during a WNBA season, she is having a great tournament and not getting enough minutes.

Bird had a great game against the Opals. She's also the team's starting point guard and the leader.

Angel, I like her energy off the bench, and she's been awesome too. But once again, I'm not going to give Taurasi less minutes, and I'm not going to give Catchings or SA less minutes. Depending on the game I might give Maya less minutes, but that's very much dependant on the game, particularly because Maya and Angel's games are so different, that the choice becomes what do you need.

But really, can we quit complaining about the playing time. It's ridiculous. This team is extremely talented and no, minutes aren't going to be completely balanced.

Any other coach and there wouldn't be this crying. And any other coach would be playing Taurasi and Bird the majority of the guard minutes. So just knock it off and enjoy the gold medal game. There's been no saving the day, THIS game was the only close game of the tournament besides Croatia. So..lol. And Taurasi has been our best player for the 3 games prior to Australia.

I could be misunderstanding things, but I haven't heard people calling for Birdie to play less or saying anything about Whalen should be the starting PG. Both are great and very, very different PG's. I do hear people wanting to recognize how well Whalen is playing. L-Whay has outplayed Birdie in the WNBA the least season and a half, but Birdie still sets the bar and she IS the starting PG for this team and her assists are constant, if unspectacular and her shot has been red hot. I only wish one of them could play defense so they could be on the court at the same time more often.

Regarding Angel - she has had an AWESOME Olympics! She has earned more playing time, no matter who gets less. She has changed games on both sides of the ball, just about every time she stepped on the court. But has Taurasi earned the right to be on the court at the end of a close game? Absolutely YES. The bigger the arena, the more she shows up. Dee = Money.

~rAf
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/10/12 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

I could be misunderstanding things, but I haven't heard people calling for Birdie to play less or saying anything about Whalen should be the starting PG. Both are great and very, very different PG's. I do hear people wanting to recognize how well Whalen is playing. L-Whay has outplayed Birdie in the WNBA the least season and a half, but Birdie still sets the bar and she IS the starting PG for this team and her assists are constant, if unspectacular and her shot has been red hot. I only wish one of them could play defense so they could be on the court at the same time more often.

Regarding Angel - she has had an AWESOME Olympics! She has earned more playing time, no matter who gets less. She has changed games on both sides of the ball, just about every time she stepped on the court. But has Taurasi earned the right to be on the court at the end of a close game? Absolutely YES. The bigger the arena, the more she shows up. Dee = Money.

The reality is, if one person gets more playing time another gets less. You play Whalen more, Bird plays less.

You can't give Angel more minutes without giving Taurasi/Maya/Catchings/Seimone less time.

pilight...she's played well for half the tournament. Not as well as she's capable of..but well. She's only lead the US in scoring the past what four games? She's also the team leader and best player. She's not going to lose minutes. And she wouldn't lose minutes REGARDLESS of the coach.

That's my point. Quit bitching about "favoritism." Bird and Taurasi would be getting the most minutes regardless of coach.

Also..quit bitching because US is playing for gold. So even if it's not how you would have done it, the US is where they are supposed to be. There's no reason to bitch.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
That's my point. Quit bitching about "favoritism." Bird and Taurasi would be getting the most minutes regardless of coach.

Matter of opinion.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
"'Shit happens,' she [Lauren Jackson] said, as she stressed at a press conference that the players have to get over the 86-73 semi-final loss."

She's so articulate! I can't stand it!!! Wink

PostPosted: 08/11/12 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:
"'Shit happens,' she [Lauren Jackson] said, as she stressed at a press conference that the players have to get over the 86-73 semi-final loss."

She's so articulate! I can't stand it!!! Wink

I do enjoy how LJ put that. Love that she said it too.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/11/12 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
pilight wrote:

And to connect the two, the Moore-Charles UConn connection is much more recent and more likely to still work that the other UCONN players.

Plus, Jones and Whalen were WNBA teammates for six years...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: