RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

It Appears That Jeneba Tarmoh Has Been Dropped From Relays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 08/07/12 5:01 pm    ::: It Appears That Jeneba Tarmoh Has Been Dropped From Relays Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
This afternoon, Tarmoh put out a series of angry Tweets from her Twitter feed indicating that the U.S. has decided to go in a different direction with their lineup for the 4x100m, which begins with first round racing on Thursday.

Allyson Felix and Jeneba Tarmoh finish in a dead heat for third place in the women's 100m at the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials, creating a tie for the final 100m Olympic spot.

According to USA Track & Field spokesperson, Jill Geer, nothing has been officially decided.

"Our relay lineup for the first round will be announced the morning of the race," Geer said. "All six women in the relay pool will run at some point in London. Our relay coach (John Drummond), head coach (Amy Deem) and chief of sport performance (Benita Fitzgerald-Mosley) work together on developing lineups. The head coach is the ultimate decision-maker."

Tarmoh's Tweets seem to indicate otherwise.

Her first Tweet read, “USATF boy. Never been this upset in my life. Time for a change.”

That was followed almost immediately by a second Tweet reading, “Got third at trials and still gotta deal with politics. smh...” the abbreviation meaning shaking my head.

A third successive Tweet read, “Wow..life isn't fair. My time will come.” About an hour after that, Tarmoh Tweeted, “Enough is enough.”

Has Jeneba Tarmoh's rotten luck gotten worse? - Track & Field News | NBC Olympics

jap

PostPosted: 08/07/12 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like Jeneba wants to beat somebody up.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tarmoh ran the second leg of Thursday's preliminary race. The U.S. advanced to Friday's final.

As noted, up to six may participate in the two races (preliminary and final). Allyson Felix and Carmelita Jeter didn't run yesterday. They'll surely run tonight, which means two of the four who competed yesterday must sit tonight.

Maybe Tarmoh is angry because she was told she won't race in the final. She might think, since she finished in the top four at the Olympic Trials, she should be one of the four runners in the final. I don't know. I do know she ran in the prelim.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/10/12 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPOILER

The US team, without Tarmoh, won Gold and broke the World record at 40.82 seconds

PostPosted: 08/10/12 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, her tweets might shed some light on why she didn't run the finals: maturity. She is still stating that she finished third in the trials, clearly rejecting the rather plausible explanation that an appeal was filed and the results amended to be a dead heat. She showed immaturity in pouting instead of making any sort of an attempt to fight for that third place. I could see such an attitude being a consideration when trying to put together a team for the pressure-filled finals.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/10/12 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Actually, her tweets might shed some light on why she didn't run the finals: maturity. She is still stating that she finished third in the trials, clearly rejecting the rather plausible explanation that an appeal was filed and the results amended to be a dead heat. She showed immaturity in pouting instead of making any sort of an attempt to fight for that third place. I could see such an attitude being a consideration when trying to put together a team for the pressure-filled finals.

Whether it was a dead heat or not she still finished 3rd, there has never been a question of Allyson Felix finishing 3rd ahead of Jeneba Tarmoh, the question is whether it was a tie for 3rd or Jeneba in 3rd all by herself.

Regarding her tweets perhaps it wasn't the best decision for her to make, or maybe it was the best decision for her to make. People can have opinions all they want, but if she feels she did the right thing in posting those tweets who are we to judge.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/10/12 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People are always talking about what someone else should have done or said when those people were in the heat of anger and disappointment. Until you're in those shoes, you have no idea.

Twitter and social media definitely hasn't made it easer to cool down before you give your two cents on how you feel about something either.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The four quickest people in a flat, straight, 100m race don't necessarily make the fastest 4x100m team, where you need a starter, back straight runner, bend runner, and anchor. Plus you need to be confident in their ability to complete the baton changeovers as quickly and smoothly as possible (God knows both the US and GB have screwed that up about a thousand times in the past).

Considering the team that was picked blew the 27-year old record to smithereens, seems like the coaches got it right.

Just in general, athletes should stay the hell away from twitter when they're upset. Nothing good is going to come of it. Call your mom or your best friend, find a barman to bitch to, find a deserted roof to scream from - something other than whining to the entire world.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPOILER ALERT

The Women have had trouble with passing the baton & I heard on the radio that they were flawless tonight; maybe that was why they chose who they did.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/10/12 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

Whether it was a dead heat or not she still finished 3rd, there has never been a question of Allyson Felix finishing 3rd ahead of Jeneba Tarmoh, the question is whether it was a tie for 3rd or Jeneba in 3rd all by herself.

Whether it was a dead heat or not? Confused Your whole 'it was never a question' logic is kind of way off.

Whether Jeneba was initially declared in 3rd place or not is the only valid way to preface a point here. Questions and thinking and initial race results were answered and rendered invalid by the photo finish that clearly showed both runners hitting the wire at the exact same instant. It's advantage: no one, at that point.

If USATF asked for one of them to gracedully cede their spot to the other, i didn't hear about it. My understanding is that they determined that there would be two options for resolving the tie, race or coin flip. Jenaba, at that point, simply QUIT. She refused to participate in either of USATF proscribed solutions to the tie. Is that correct?

That, to me, was stunning. When I heard it I was like, wow, very selfless but then I thought... wait a minute... is she ceding gracefully, or refusing?

Turns out she wasn't ceding gracefully. She just refused and quit the process of determining who would earn that 3rd spot. It's just wrong, man. She's lucky they used her in last night's race if you ask me. And now all this Twitter shit.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Whether it was a dead heat or not? Confused Your whole 'it was never a question' logic is kind of way off.

Whether Jeneba was initially declared in 3rd place or not is the only valid way to preface a point here. Questions and thinking and initial race results were answered and rendered invalid by the photo finish that clearly showed both runners hitting the wire at the exact same instant. It's advantage: no one, at that point.

If USATF asked for one of them to gracedully cede their spot to the other, i didn't hear about it. My understanding is that they determined that there would be two options for resolving the tie, race or coin flip. Jenaba, at that point, simply QUIT. She refused to participate in either of USATF proscribed solutions to the tie. Is that correct?

That, to me, was stunning. When I heard it I was like, wow, very selfless but then I thought... wait a minute... is she ceding gracefully, or refusing?

Turns out she wasn't ceding gracefully. She just refused and quit the process of determining who would earn that 3rd spot. It's just wrong, man. She's lucky they used her in last night's race if you ask me. And now all this Twitter shit.

I'm not understanding what you are saying. The fact that it was a dead heat doesn't change the fact that she finished 3rd. It was a photo finished and it was concluded that both finished at the same time, but they finished at the same time for 3rd place.

Also I don't think she has a problem with not running the 100m as in individual, she hasn't made issue with it she hasn't even brought it up. As a top 4 runner in the 100m I think as well as others assume she had a spot in the relay finals, and it sounds like she lost the spot before she ran in the prelims so it's not like they went based on time and said her time wasn't fast enough they made the decision before she ran that she wasn't going to be in the finals.

As far as whether she ceded gracefully or not, it sounded like she was pressured into saying she would participate in the run off when she initially was going to step down because she didn't feel she was properly prepared for it.

jaye

PostPosted: 08/10/12 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

regardless of her attitude... her handling of it.... or her maturity... it was definitely politics at work... and it's understandable that she's upset.. .and the way she reacts to it is her business... imo

PostPosted: 08/10/12 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

I'm not understanding what you are saying. The fact that it was a dead heat doesn't change the fact that she finished 3rd. It was a photo finished and it was concluded that both finished at the same time, but they finished at the same time for 3rd place.

Also I don't think she has a problem with not running the 100m as in individual, she hasn't made issue with it she hasn't even brought it up. As a top 4 runner in the 100m I think as well as others assume she had a spot in the relay finals, and it sounds like she lost the spot before she ran in the prelims so it's not like they went based on time and said her time wasn't fast enough they made the decision before she ran that she wasn't going to be in the finals.

As far as whether she ceded gracefully or not, it sounded like she was pressured into saying she would participate in the run off when she initially was going to step down because she didn't feel she was properly prepared for it.

Uh.. I think you're being very kind. I think we have a pretty good idea where her emotions have been since the very moment her 3rd place finish was challenged.

What I started out with was a reaction to what appeared to me to be you saying that the fact she was initially declared the 3rd place finisher, ALONE, carried some weight in everything that happened subsequent to that and I was asserting that it shouldn't have and obviously didn't.

If USATF offered a run off or a coin flip she should have done one or the other, and would have, had she not had some sort of animus developed at that point over being placed in the situation she was placed in due to the race going to a very rarely inconclusive photo finish.

She was pissed. But, in the first place, she did no better than tie Felix for that third spot and she should have proceeded according to the solutions offered by the governing body. And she should have been a good sport about it at least publicly and procedurally.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we don't all react to things in the same way.... some people stand on principle... some people feel that to do that is being unduly rigid.... she feels she was wronged... and while i agree that she should have gone through the process... i'm not in her shoes.... and in the end... the only person that has to pay for her actions is her....

one thing tho... if she's waiting for the world to get fair... she'll be waiting a long time... you can rally against this world... but you've got to be ready to take what comes back....

PostPosted: 08/10/12 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

What I started out with was a reaction to what appeared to me to be you saying that the fact she was initially declared the 3rd place finisher, ALONE, carried some weight in everything that happened subsequent to that and I was asserting that it shouldn't have and obviously didn't.

No that's not what I was saying, I was responding to people saying that she shouldn't consider her self as finishing 3rd because it was a dead heat. My response to that is there was never a question of her finish in the race in terms of her specifically it was either 3rd by herself or tied for 3rd, no one every thought or questioned Allyson Felix finishing ahead of her, so for her to say she finished 3rd is not a lie or misuse of facts because she and Allyson Felix finished in 3rd based on the photo finish. I'm not saying her initial thought of finishing 3rd on her own lead to the subsequent actions, but I believe her finishing in the top 4 did lead her to believe she would be running on the finals relay team, I know that's what I thought based on history and what I have heard over the years.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/10/12 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

No that's not what I was saying, I was responding to people saying that she shouldn't consider her self as finishing 3rd because it was a dead heat. My response to that is there was never a question of her finish in the race in terms of her specifically it was either 3rd by herself or tied for 3rd, no one every thought or questioned Allyson Felix finishing ahead of her, so for her to say she finished 3rd is not a lie or misuse of facts because she and Allyson Felix finished in 3rd based on the photo finish. I'm not saying her initial thought of finishing 3rd on her own lead to the subsequent actions, but I believe her finishing in the top 4 did lead her to believe she would be running on the finals relay team, I know that's what I thought based on history and what I have heard over the years.

Okay, sorry. Misunderstood you.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Okay, sorry. Misunderstood you.

No worries, glad we go that cleared up. Very Happy

Genero36

PostPosted: 08/11/12 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Felix walks away from these games with three gold medals, which is the most by any American woman in Track & Field since Florence Griffith-Joyner.

Genero36

PostPosted: 08/11/12 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dkfYbDCwOcs

The fact that she is always making accusations on Twitter and in interviews is what's causing friction and showing she's not willing to cave to pessure.

I mean she accused Allison of betraying her and said that led to her declining the run-off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: