RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno opens mouth, brain falls out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vallee

PostPosted: 08/08/12 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just read his rant in the article. If I had a co-worker rambling like that, I'd be notifying HR.

I personally find this statement offensive: "His team, Auriemma said, contained “no feminists.” They were not “running around” and “burning bras” and “trying to make the world believe in them.”". As someone who played before Title IX and witnessed the struggle to increase sports opportunities, I heard similar disparaging, dismissive remarks 40 years ago about girls and women who wanted to play sports. It's a shame we have to hear that in 2012.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/08/12 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Geno is hilarious. Who fuc*ing cares if he will never be Coach K?!

Uh, Geno does.

Mathies to LA 2013
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/08/12 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I personally think he just loves attention. I'm always amused when I hear people say "Geno does this to draw attention away from the athletes so they can perform better." Who knew that level of psychology (where one has to say off the wall things to the media to divert attention) would be needed in women's basketball. Shocked

PostPosted: 08/08/12 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
I personally think he just loves attention. I'm always amused when I hear people say "Geno does this to draw attention away from the athletes so they can perform better." Who knew that level of psychology (where one has to say off the wall things to the media to divert attention) would be needed in women's basketball. Shocked

Bingo. This is HIS way of getting the media attention HE thinks HE deserves for HIS accomplishments.

Mathies to LA 2013
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Bingo. This is HIS way of getting the media attention HE thinks HE deserves for HIS accomplishments.

and quite a mountain of accomplishments it is.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Love is too much of a stretch, but I appreciate Geno. He's a fantastic character, and I mean that in the literary sense. I've long felt that he and Bill Laimbeer leaped straight from the pages of a sports novel. (And that C.Viv is also an excellent character, albeit one written by an author who does like to pile on the angst.)

Great insight. So true! What great characters. There are others to add to that list too. Summit & Mulkey are two off the top of my head. And Lin Dunn wouldn't be bad either. Characters with the capital 'C'. This could be a lot of fun.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/08/12 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Sure. Second-best women's basketball coach of all time. The media won't place him above Pat nor will they put him on par with the best men's basketball coaches of the current era (let alone those of the past like John Wooden). He'll just continue to bitch and complain until people finally get hip to his act.

Mathies to LA 2013
vanyogan

PostPosted: 08/08/12 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like his analogy of being handed a Lamborghini, his only goal is to not crash it into a tree.

Coaching an underdog is easy, coaching teams that are not expected to lose, and continuously winning, is fucking hard.

IMO, we have the best coach, coaching the best women's team ever.

That is what I think, and that is all I want to say.

ETA: Holy crap! I spelled Lamborghini right the first crack at it, talk about dumb luck!

http://www.lamborghini.com/en/home/

PostPosted: 08/08/12 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

And the problem with wanting attention? He doesn't go about it by nefarious means, he just talks...alot. So what?
Seems people take him way to seriously Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/08/12 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

And the problem with wanting attention? He doesn't go about it by nefarious means, he just talks...alot. So what?
Seems people take him way to seriously Rolling Eyes

I think that can be the problem..and usually the difference between people who like him and people who don't.

I mean seriously guys, he suggested he should burn his own bra because it doesn't fit. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/08/12 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally i like Geno and his antics. I dont take it so seriously. He absolutely loves the game and his players. He just has a way to get the best out of them. And maybe thats by being an ass to them and giving them a hard time but in the end they will appreciate that (example Charles) and almost see him as family.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWD5c3vEzCs

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
boogiezen

PostPosted: 08/08/12 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:

Uh, Geno does.

You know this because??????????????

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/08/12 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:

Uh, Geno does.

His past actions and current hissy fits indicate as much??????????????

Mathies to LA 2013
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/08/12 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Geno is hilarious. Who fuc*ing cares if he will never be Coach K?! I just appreciate his gamesmanship.

Priceless. Laughing

Exactly. Idea

And besides, Coach K will always be jealous of Geno's hair.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/08/12 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:

Uh, Geno does.

His past actions and current hissy fits indicate as much??????????????

He may want the same respect as the men's coaches, that doesn't mean he wants to be like Coach K. Not everyone wants to be like Duke. Razz

And honestly, 50 years from now, it wouldn't shock me if Geno is looked back at as a better coach that Coach K.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Geno defenders should just accept that when they offer opinions in Geno's defense, they are just wild supposition with no basis of behavior or statements from Geno or his players. But when naysayers offer their opinions about the same, well they are speaking about their suppositions based on the same lack of clear evidence, but because they are negative and dismissive, their opinions clearly carry more weight. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing sometimes the self-righteousness around here is highly entertaining.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
I think the Geno defenders should just accept that when they offer opinions in Geno's defense, they are just wild supposition with no basis of behavior or statements from Geno or his players. But when naysayers offer their opinions about the same, well they are speaking about their suppositions based on the same lack of clear evidence, but because they are negative and dismissive, their opinions clearly carry more weight. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing sometimes the self-righteousness around here is highly entertaining.

Bingo.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/09/12 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Love is too much of a stretch, but I appreciate Geno. He's a fantastic character, and I mean that in the literary sense. I've long felt that he and Bill Laimbeer leaped straight from the pages of a sports novel. (And that C.Viv is also an excellent character, albeit one written by an author who does like to pile on the angst.)

Great insight. So true! What great characters. There are others to add to that list too. Summit & Mulkey are two off the top of my head. And Lin Dunn wouldn't be bad either. Characters with the capital 'C'. This could be a lot of fun.

Co-Sign, well put.

vallee

PostPosted: 08/09/12 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, but I can't agree that all of these comments are just "colorful" musing of a "fantastic character". I admit to blowing off 99% of what he says, but when I hear a coach making statements about the beliefs, not characteristics, of the entire team, I cringe.

Coaches are in a position of authority, and I think they should not use that authority to impose their personal beliefs on the players. Renee Portland did that for years, and I think most people on the board didn't support its impact on many of her players. Making statements such as Gino made, even as a joke, creates an atmosphere that communicates that certain beliefs unrelated to the team are acceptable, and certain are not acceptable. I understand that the individuals on the Olympic team are adults (the youngest is 23) who I hope feel free to publicly differ with their coach. But do you think any 17 or 18 year old freshmen coming into the Storrs system would feel comfortable identifying themselves as a feminist after his statement?

I know my comments will be labeled negative, and do not carry more weight than those of his supporters, but wanted to express my opinion about the importance of coaches openly supporting diversity. Thanks.

caune

PostPosted: 08/09/12 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vallee wrote:
Sorry, but I can't agree that all of these comments are just "colorful" musing of a "fantastic character". I admit to blowing off 99% of what he says, but when I hear a coach making statements about the beliefs, not characteristics, of the entire team, I cringe.

Coaches are in a position of authority, and I think they should not use that authority to impose their personal beliefs on the players. Renee Portland did that for years, and I think most people on the board didn't support its impact on many of her players. Making statements such as Gino made, even as a joke, creates an atmosphere that communicates that certain beliefs unrelated to the team are acceptable, and certain are not acceptable. I understand that the individuals on the Olympic team are adults (the youngest is 23) who I hope feel free to publicly differ with their coach. But do you think any 17 or 18 year old freshmen coming into the Storrs system would feel comfortable identifying themselves as a feminist after his statement?

I know my comments will be labeled negative, and do not carry more weight than those of his supporters, but wanted to express my opinion about the importance of coaches openly supporting diversity. Thanks.

First, I really think he was not exactly serious with his statements, or maybe doesn't know the definition of feminist?.

Second,I don;t think his silly rantings would deter a feminist, because if they self identify as a feminist in high school they'd be pretty strong in the first place.

PostPosted: 08/09/12 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that if taken seriously his comments about feminists could be harmful, and are certainly in poor taste. I honestly took his coda about burning his own bra to mean "don't take anything I just said seriously".

Though I do have to admit to being annoyed at the lack of knowledge of the definition of feminism in the US. I blame Rush Limbaugh and his ilk. Thus, I do cringe a bit when it's used inappropriately, and agree that using another word would have been better. You can't "just kidding" everything. Words do have import.

At the end of the day, though, it's just more Geno hot air. I worked with a similar guy who rarely said a serious word in his life, and admitted it, saying the way to get along with him was to realize that even if he has a straight face, he doesn't mean it (in a social setting). After that, we got along great. Some people just like to BS. And I happen to enjoy that.

PostPosted: 08/09/12 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OFFS!

Oh for fucks sake!

What part of Geno do folks not get?

Geno takes the best players in the world, and he makes them better.

As if that is an easy thing to do?

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/09/12 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Sure. Second-best women's basketball coach of all time. The media won't place him above Pat nor will they put him on par with the best men's basketball coaches of the current era (let alone those of the past like John Wooden). He'll just continue to bitch and complain until people finally get hip to his act.

When Geno retires w/ the most NCs in the history of US college basketball history- probably with 10, like his hero, the great John Wooden, even ignorant fans of WCB, such as "the media", will acknowledge Geno was the best WCB coach of all-time.

the only ones left bitching will be the haters like you.

and btw, FUCK the goddamn camera following the scorer down the court, especially during a full-court press!

PostPosted: 08/09/12 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
OFFS!

Oh for fucks sake!

What part of Geno do folks not get?

Geno takes the best players in the world, and he makes them better.

As if that is an easy thing to do?

X______________

PostPosted: 08/09/12 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just saw this thread. On a certain level it's just Geno running his mouth, and I don't care. (And, as I've said before, there's a certain scampish quality about him that I kind of like.)

But I find his statement that his players aren't feminists, and the way he explains it, really, really annoying.

First, it plays into a stupid stereotype of feminism that wasn't true 40 years ago and isn't true now. (What is with people and bra burning, anyway? I think it happened about twice.)

Second, I'm really tired of the successful women not being feminists trope. Of course, a lot of that is because of the stereotype, but go ahead and ask the players about key feminist issues - equal opportunity, equal pay, etc. and I bet you that they'll be in agreement with feminist goals on the vast majority of them. (Abortion rights might be the one where there isn't near unanimity, but then again I don't know.) Whatever label you want to give yourself, if you agree with the basic feminist positions, you're a feminist.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: