RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno opens mouth, brain falls out
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/07/12 4:41 pm    ::: Geno opens mouth, brain falls out Reply Reply with quote

Coach Keeps Talking; Team Keeps Winning

LONDON — The United States women’s basketball team battered another overmatched opponent Tuesday, and afterward Geno Auriemma talked the way only Geno Auriemma can.

He described his coaching style in these Olympics as “more British,” and by that he meant calmer, more understated. He called the T-shirt someone left in his room recently, the one with the “Road to Respect” slogan, “kind of dumb.”

After Auriemma’s team conquered Canada in the quarterfinals, 91-48, one night after the Americans won a women’s soccer classic from Canada, someone asked about expectations. It was, after all, the 20th anniversary of the last time the United States played for any Olympic medal other than a gold one. That was four golds ago.

Auriemma mentioned the lack of news media coverage and dismissed the notion just as quickly. His answer devolved from there. His team, Auriemma said, contained “no feminists.” They were not “running around” and “burning bras” and “trying to make the world believe in them.” Auriemma then said he would burn his own bra because it no longer fit. ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/sports/olympics/us-womens-basketball-team-reaches-olympic-semifinals.html?smid=pl-share

What the hell? Razz

Genero36

PostPosted: 08/07/12 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What comes out of his mouth doesn't deserve any attention. There shouldn't be any mystery as to why he rubbed Pat Summitt the wrong way.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/07/12 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
What comes out of his mouth doesn't deserve any attention. There shouldn't be any mystery as to why he rubbed Pat Summitt the wrong way.

Prepare for the wrath from this board. Wink

PostPosted: 08/07/12 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

Prepare for the wrath from this board. Wink

Let 'em come! This man has a history of running his mouth.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/07/12 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, Geno gets more irritating as the years go by. At first, his little "woe is me" act was cute. Now, it's just annoying.

We get it, Geno. Women's basketball isn't popular. It's never going to dominate headlines. Your accompishments aren't celebrated nearly enough--or nearly as much as you'd like. You'll never be Coach K. You'll never be Coach K. You'll never be Coach K! YOU'LL NEVER BE COACH K!

YOU'LL NEVER BE COACH K!

Mathies to LA 2013
Martini Man

PostPosted: 08/07/12 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out why anyone even cares about what he says. I just enjoy watching his teams being the best teams in the history of wcbb and just enjoy watching his coaching, which is barely arguably the best wcbb coach there ever was.

What he says is of no concern to me. What concerns me is watching his teams win and break records and make people everywhere notice women's basketball.

PostPosted: 08/07/12 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with him talking. I like it when people say what they think instead of always being PC even if it doesn't make sense. Makes it much more interesting. I love the pic at the top of the article though, with him lecturing at DT and her totally ignoring him. And look at Bruno's eyes in the background. It's the best thing about the article really!

scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/07/12 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tina's not paying a lot of attention to geno either. they know how he rolls. Smile

PostPosted: 08/07/12 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

90% of the time Geno makes me laugh or at least entertains me with his BS. The other small percentage of the time I just roll my eyes.

This quote in the article amused me more:
Quote:
“We know we’ve got great players,” he said. “We know we’ve got defending world champions on our team. I don’t know that Croatia got the memo. We need to do a better job of sending out e-mails to the teams we’re playing, saying, by the way, you know, everybody expects you to get blown out.”

PostPosted: 08/07/12 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
tina's not paying a lot of attention to geno either. they know how he rolls. Smile

Well I hope Jennifer is paying attentionLOL. It can't hurt learn a thing or two from a master.

But I agree with Myrtle, I have no problem with his talking, he's a talker. Pat was a non talker. Both are winners, so who am I to judge, I've never won anything but a raffle . Laughing

PostPosted: 08/07/12 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also think he's happy where he's at. He doesn't want/need to be Coach K. Seems like a weird sentiment to scream at him about.

Here's another telling quote, which seems to match many attitudes around here (or all since it really illustrates both sides of the like/hate Geno spectrum):
Quote:
Auriemma said he never expected to coach the national team, not with his history of outlandish statements and bridges burned.

Personally, I think it's cool that he's getting to live his own American dream.

PostPosted: 08/07/12 9:01 pm    ::: Re: Geno opens mouth, brain falls out Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
His team, Auriemma said, contained “no feminists.” They were not “running around” and “burning bras” and “trying to make the world believe in them.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/sports/olympics/us-womens-basketball-team-reaches-olympic-semifinals.html?smid=pl-share

Good for Geno. Glad he said it. It's like beating a dead horse.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/07/12 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
I also think he's happy where he's at. He doesn't want/need to be Coach K. Seems like a weird sentiment to scream at him about.

That's what you believe and that's fine. That's not what I believe. I think he's irritated by that fact that he'll never be on par with a man who he's said time and time again that he holds in high regard.

I also see no harm in reminding him that he can't shine Coach K's shoes. Cool

Mathies to LA 2013
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/07/12 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

having 4 NCs is nice, but geno will likely have 9 when he retires.

geno is entertaining.

he talks alot of bs and alot of incredibly cogent stuff.

i'm glad he's at uconn, and there is no coach out there i'd rather have.

PostPosted: 08/07/12 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I <3 Geno.

If he wanted to be a men's coach and get that attention he would have left and done so.

But I'm glad he hasn't. Women's basketball needs him.

PostPosted: 08/07/12 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You'd have to kind of be a Uconn fan or be totally indifferent to the sport to LOVE Geno. That mouth with that winning record would rub Mother Teresa the wrong way... if she was still around. Wink

PostPosted: 08/07/12 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
You'd have to kind of be a Uconn fan or be totally indifferent to the sport to LOVE Geno. That mouth with that winning record would rub Mother Teresa the wrong way... if she was still around. Wink

Actually I'd probably love him.

I know his personality rubs a lot of people the wrong way (Probably for good reason..), but I find it hilarious.

That is of course unless I was a Tennessee fan. Wink

And in this case, I really don't think it's the fact that his accomplishments aren't seen as "just as great as men's basketball coaches" in fact, he's made comments before about not deserving the same amount of money as Calhoun.

I think it legitimately bothers him that Taurasi, Bird, and even Parker Wink don't get recognized the way he thinks they should. And he's really one of the better people to say something, because usually anything he says gets some press and he's not a woman so it doesn't come off as "feminist bitching.."

PostPosted: 08/07/12 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:

Here's another telling quote, which seems to match many attitudes around here (or all since it really illustrates both sides of the like/hate Geno spectrum):
Quote:
Auriemma said he never expected to coach the national team, not with his history of outlandish statements and bridges burned.

Personally, I think it's cool that he's getting to live his own American dream.

X_______X

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/07/12 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="mercfan3
I think it legitimately bothers him that Taurasi, Bird, and even Parker Wink don't get recognized the way he thinks they should. And he's really one of the better people to say something, because usually anything he says gets some press and he's not a woman so it doesn't come off as "feminist bitching.."[/quote]

This is good. I agree that it's always about the players for him. For instance, he shoots his mouth off before big games and deflects attention/pressure away from his players and they are able to make the big plays most of the time, even when they don't have the most talent on the floor. I completely agree that he would do anything to have these players get the recognition he feels they deserve.

I know I've been among those questioning the inclusion of Swin/Asjha on this team, which I believe is legitimate to question. But what I do not question is his brilliant coaching and ability to push the right buttons to get the max from his players.

While deep down and in private he may have some envy for the notoriety that Coach K has. But I think that whatever he says in public, it's to increase the respect for the players. I find him to be entertaining most of the time, much like Diana. They both have a knack for the timely quip, such as when Diana was asked what was different when she broke her drought and hit a bunch of shots, she said "the shots went in - that's the difference. I guess it was watching the archers hit the bulls eye. I just kept shooting."

~rAf
Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:

I don't. There was one interview done where he seemed to be hinting that if North Carolina or Duke would come calling he'd be interested. In multiple interviews he seems to come off as incredibly insecure. Sherri Coale even made mention of it once. I would agree that he wants to be Coach K. in a program with history (so recruits flock to it).

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/08/12 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love is too much of a stretch, but I appreciate Geno. He's a fantastic character, and I mean that in the literary sense. I've long felt that he and Bill Laimbeer leaped straight from the pages of a sports novel. (And that C.Viv is also an excellent character, albeit one written by an author who does like to pile on the angst.)

PostPosted: 08/08/12 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
norwester wrote:

I don't. There was one interview done where he seemed to be hinting that if North Carolina or Duke would come calling he'd be interested. In multiple interviews he seems to come off as incredibly insecure. Sherri Coale even made mention of it once. I would agree that he wants to be Coach K. in a program with history (so recruits flock to it).

Maybe. I'll concede to envy, definitely. But I also think he enjoys the role of big fish in the relatively smaller pool of women's basketball.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno is hilarious. Who fuc*ing cares if he will never be Coach K?! I just appreciate his gamesmanship.

Priceless. Laughing

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/08/12 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
norwester wrote:

He's said before the only coaching job he'd consider leaving Uconn for was Duke.

This was after he was asked if he would take the Men's Uconn coaching job, and he said "No, because then I'd just ruin both programs" Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/08/12 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Geno is hilarious. Who fuc*ing cares if he will never be Coach K?! I just appreciate his gamesmanship.

Priceless. Laughing

Lol!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: