RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Women's basketball: Guard play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/08/12 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm suprised Kristi Harrower is still playing. I don't know how old she is, but I think this is going to be her last Olympics. The Aussies couldn't find a better guard?

I will be beyond shocked if she is on a WNBA team sometime this year or next year.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/08/12 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In these Olympics, Kim Smith was a superstar. That should tell you all you really need to know about the quality of competition.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
In these Olympics, Kim Smith was a superstar. That should tell you all you really need to know about the quality of competition.

!!!! Very Happy

If I could put this in my siggy, I would.

Mathies to LA 2013
StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/08/12 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I never thought I'd live to see the day when the words "Kim Smith" and "superstar" would appear in the same sentence. Razz

And now, it's happened twice. Wink

Shades

PostPosted: 08/08/12 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
I'm suprised Kristi Harrower is still playing. I don't know how old she is, but I think this is going to be her last Olympics. The Aussies couldn't find a better guard?

Apparently not a dedicated (enough) one.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 08/08/12 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Embarassed .

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/08/12 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:
There are many ways to be the best, and for some athletes, resting for a couple months a year puts them on that path. Not only does it allow them to physically build strength and recover, it also allows them to mentally recharge their batteries.

And let's not forget how much of a grind the WNBA is. The schedule is much more demanding than in Europe, with much more travel, and coaches demand a lot more effort, especially on defense. At some level, your job is supposed to be enjoyable, and if the WNBA is a whole lot of work for a decent amount of money -- but in a foreign country where you don't understand the language and never feel at home -- I can see why you wouldn't want to do it.

America isn't necessarily the promised land, and some people just aren't that interested in spending time here. Some people are, and that's great, but I don't see any huge benefit for established European players to come over. I also am not convinced it makes sense for a young player to annoy her national federation by skipping national team commitments to come either (do you think Erin Phillips would have liked to play in the Olympics?), though she could leverage her European income with a couple strong WNBA seasons.

Finally, to return to an earlier point, it's a lot easier to play in the WNBA if you speak English because life in America is going to be much smoother, and that's why I think we see more Australians than Europeans.

From what I have experienced, it seems like most europeans learn english as a second language early on. I'm not sure what's happening that some don't, like that Spanish player the Lynx had in training camp this year.

As far as players making more money in europe (or china), nobody's ever really explained why that is or why it is guaranteed to stay that way. It seems like they have a less sustainable business model than the wnba. Whatever happened to the the club maya was just on? Seems like it just disappeared without much thought of the implications or whether it will be a future trend. Is it just a bunch of glen taylors over in europe owning teams just for an expensive hobby?

English is taught early on in Europe. In spain and for example Italy they hardly speak any english.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: