RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

random olympic thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 07/30/12 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Linzin wrote:
ETA: Although apparently there's something else called American handball. Wtf. Shocked The only handball I knew growing up was the Olympic version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_handball

yes, this. four walls (indoors), with gloves ('cause that little ball wasn't exactly soft!)

i also played softball as a kid, but i dunno if anybody plays that today - not the kind i played, with a 16- to 18-inch soft softball, no glove. sometimes it was called mushball.

how times have changed.

PostPosted: 07/30/12 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
SORF wrote:

The only gripe I have is all the political ads by both parties...can't they let us have a campaign free Olympics?????? Evil or Very Mad

You must be in a swing state, I have not noticed any politics during my Olympic coverage here in Arizona

The NRC has a commercial for Mitt Romney, and Obama has a commercial for his Presidential Plan. I don't want to see either one during the Olympics...let us enjoy the games without the campaigning. I haven't seen the commercials on the other stations...just NBC. But then again, I have been watching the games about 70% of my TV time.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/30/12 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marjie wrote:
Anyone see the womens' water polo? Some of the players need more coverage in the swim wear. Big thong swimsuit butts are not appealing! Cover some cheeks.

I think the reason is because the less material there is the less change of getting your suit pulled under water. I had a friend who played water polo in high school and she said players used to come out of the water from a match with giant holes in their suits because opponents would grab on to the suit while they tried to swim after a ball, or jump out of the water. No one monitors what happens under water so a lot of extracurricular activities happen under water, other than grabbing swim suits, players are punched, kicked, pinched, grabbed, among other things. I've even heard stories in men's water polo guys will specific target an opponents private area and squeeze them or hit him there to slow him down.

caune

PostPosted: 07/31/12 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SORF wrote:
caune wrote:
SORF wrote:

The only gripe I have is all the political ads by both parties...can't they let us have a campaign free Olympics?????? Evil or Very Mad

You must be in a swing state, I have not noticed any politics during my Olympic coverage here in Arizona

The NRC has a commercial for Mitt Romney, and Obama has a commercial for his Presidential Plan. I don't want to see either one during the Olympics...let us enjoy the games without the campaigning. I haven't seen the commercials on the other stations...just NBC. But then again, I have been watching the games about 70% of my TV time.

I guess there is an advantage to living in a solid red state? No politics with my Olympics, yeah!

PostPosted: 07/31/12 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
SORF wrote:
caune wrote:
SORF wrote:

I guess there is an advantage to living in a solid red state? No politics with my Olympics, yeah!

Not necessarily. I live in about as blue an area as it gets for this election, and we are getting Romney and Obama ads in Chicago as well.

jaye

PostPosted: 07/31/12 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Linzin wrote:
sambista wrote:
then i gotta see this, because the only team handball i knew was two people, ball the size of a fist. this sounds almost like dodgeball!

Sounds like you're talking about fives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fives

...which is super minor sport that I didn't know people even played in the US. Huh.

ETA: Although apparently there's something else called American handball. Wtf. Shocked The only handball I knew growing up was the Olympic version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_handball

I've always thought it was called handball, I used to see a lot of people play fives in the park when I was a kid, not sure how popular it is overall in the US, but I did see it a lot as a kid.

Team handball, the Olympic version is awesome, part of me wants to try it, I think I would suck, but it looks like a lot of fun to play.

And of course good old American handball, I used to play all the time as a kid, we used to have some crazy games on the playground. Very Happy Laughing

PostPosted: 07/31/12 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
SORF wrote:
caune wrote:
SORF wrote:

Yea, but the down side is we have no competition where I live. Here local Democrats run as Libertarians Laughing

PostPosted: 07/31/12 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
caune wrote:
SORF wrote:
caune wrote:
SORF wrote:

Not necessarily. I live in about as blue an area as it gets for this election, and we are getting Romney and Obama ads in Chicago as well.

So far I've only gotten Obama ads here in New York. But that doesn't mean I like seeing them during the Olympics.

PostPosted: 07/31/12 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

o hai double post, how *you* doin'?

PostPosted: 07/31/12 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm, Houston, NYC, and Chicago...big cities, big money! Maybe they are running the ads in big donor markets.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/01/12 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i saw on nbc news the other day that organizers are under fire for the empty seats at these games.

they interview one lady who said, she put in for 3 different events and was told they were not available. but, there were empty seats all over.

the organizers said that they had reserve tickets for sponsors...but, now they are going to give the military and students a chance to pick them up, and then the general public.

that seems like a weird way of going about it, particularly AFTER most events have already started.

Ottie

PostPosted: 08/01/12 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
i saw on nbc news the other day that organizers are under fire for the empty seats at these games.

they interview one lady who said, she put in for 3 different events and was told they were not available. but, there were empty seats all over.

the organizers said that they had reserve tickets for sponsors...but, now they are going to give the military and students a chance to pick them up, and then the general public.

that seems like a weird way of going about it, particularly AFTER most events have already started.

Maybe it took lighting a fire under the sponsors' arses to relinquish tickets they weren't going to use. But agreed, you would think they should try and claw back sponsor tickets ahead of time where possible.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/01/12 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The number of empty seats in the first few days were definitely disappointing, especially in the case of games - like GB-Canada women's basketball - where I'd been trying to get hold of tickets. And there still doesn't seem to have been any wholesale agreement on who it was that didn't show up (most of the groups people have blamed have quickly come out and said "it wasn't us!").

But to the organisers' credit, they have tried to to fix it. There've been tickets popping up on the official UK ticket site this week, as long as you're online at the right time. You have to get lucky and/or be insanely persistent, but they've been there.

Ticketing for this whole thing has been a bit of a mess from the start, but it must be a nightmare to organise. In the end, I don't think they've done too badly.

PostPosted: 08/01/12 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ticketing thing is an issue at every Olympics. If you watched the Beijing games you saw plenty of seats available for pretty much everything. When I went to the Atlanta games I saw the same thing in person.

PostPosted: 08/01/12 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In Vancouver, I was able to get tickets quite easily, even to the big name events like halfpipe snowboarding... from a scalper. Idea

Genero36

PostPosted: 08/04/12 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So glad that I don't have to hear Rowdy Gaines voice after tonight. He is so fake with his color commentary that it's beyond nauseating.

He screams at instant re-plays.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/04/12 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LJ got to meet William and Kate:

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/08/04/a-royal-surprise-as-australian-athletes?videoId=236860072&feedType=VideoRSS&feedName=TopNews&videoChannel=1&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+reuters/USVideoTopNews+(Video+/+US+/+Top+News)

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/04/12 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
LJ got to meet William and Kate:

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/08/04/a-royal-surprise-as-australian-athletes?videoId=236860072&feedType=VideoRSS&feedName=TopNews&videoChannel=1&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+reuters/USVideoTopNews+(Video+/+US+/+Top+News)

Prince William is only 6'3" yet about the same height as Lauren... he must be wearing lifters in his shoes. Call TMZ and give them the scoop Razz

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/05/12 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
random thought... i am tired of hearing the names of the following:

phelps
the 1992 dream team
hope solo

add lolo jones to that... she's the anna kournikova of track....

Well, except Kournikova has sex. Twisted Evil
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/05/12 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The complaining about nationalism being on display is hilarious.

I'm interested in the US athletes. If they aren't competing, do I really care about the other athletes? No not really. Sure there may be one or two that I might actually have heard of before and want to know how they did.

However, since most of these events I don't follow except at the Olympics, I could care less about someone from NeverHeardOfTheCountryUntilNow-istan coming in 15th.
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/05/12 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

I'm interested in the US athletes. If they aren't competing, do I really care about the other athletes? No not really. Sure there may be one or two that I might actually have heard of before and want to know how they did.

However, since most of these events I don't follow except at the Olympics, I could care less about someone from NeverHeardOfTheCountryUntilNow-istan coming in 15th.

Whereas I am interested in the best athletes, which means that after a race, I don't want to hear from a third-place finisher just because they happen to be American (especially if the gold medalist speaks English).

PostPosted: 08/05/12 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Whereas I am interested in the best athletes, which means that after a race, I don't want to hear from a third-place finisher just because they happen to be American (especially if the gold medalist speaks English).

Whereas some Americans expect all athletes to speak English, most of them don't, so the reporters have been making the right decisions on who to interview. Idea

Marjie

PostPosted: 08/06/12 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where's Waldo?

You will find him hiding with the USA Womens' Soccer Team!

vallee

PostPosted: 08/07/12 6:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I looooove LJ's "OMG" after meeting the royals.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/07/12 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen more beach volleyball in prime time than I care to. last night was the men's team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: