RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Opening Ceremonies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/27/12 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Good grief, the local NBC news station just came on with a news update, and forcasted the current [London] weather for "the rest of the Opening Ceremonies".

Embarassed Rolling Eyes Wink

Do you wish you had one of those big TVs now? Twisted Evil

sambista

PostPosted: 07/27/12 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
sambista wrote:
bridgehere wrote:
If PC is going to be the an element, I can see Brazil having problems having anything but a blah ceremony.

no, no impact whatsoever.

I didn't like the '07 Pan-Am opening ceremony, so they definitely have to do better than that. Of course the Olympics is a different ball-game, but I'd hate for the world to keep thinking we walk around half naked and live in the rainforest or the beach. Really, if they can stay clear of stereotyping the heck out of it, I'd appreciate it. No Carnaval-themed stuff would be a good place to start.
I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought London did a good job. Not quite as visually stunning as Beijing and definitely PC, but it was good. Too bad they forgot to tell the Queen that was not a school parade or part of her Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

c'mon, b. they can't NOT do something carnaval themed. i hear you, though, and i'm sure the planners will want to take full advantage of showing the world that brasil is more than samba and carnaval. but i'm thinking they could at least fill the oval with one go-round (or two) of an olympic samba school parade, complete with all the representative groups and figureheards, cars, bateria and samba-enredo. they've got to. it'll be really interesting to see who they put in charge of the extravaganza - and how much behind-the-scenes hijinks will go on over it. too bad joaozinho trinta didn't live to see this.

what will make me happy is seeing a true rainbow of people.

Last edited by sambista on 07/28/12 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/28/12 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really liked the lighting of the cauldron. And fireworks are always good! Very Happy

blaase22

PostPosted: 07/28/12 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That sucked ass,
I already hated that dweeb Danny Boyle for not paying the Slumdog millionaire kids the money he promised them now hate him even more for the worst opening ceremonies ever.
Ugh NBC hired that bitch Seachrest to interview athletes. Rolling Eyes

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/28/12 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
That sucked ass,
I already hated that dweeb Danny Boyle for not paying the Slumdog millionaire kids the money he promised them now hate him even more for the worst opening ceremonies ever.
Ugh NBC hired that bitch Seachrest to interview athletes. Rolling Eyes

If anyone has seen the 2007 movie 'Sunshine', you know Danny Boyle is terrible at endings... Twisted Evil

vanyogan

PostPosted: 07/28/12 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
Good grief, the local NBC news station just came on with a news update, and forcasted the current [London] weather for "the rest of the Opening Ceremonies".

Embarassed Rolling Eyes Wink

Do you wish you had one of those big TVs now? Twisted Evil

Not to see that lefty themed crap, if there was a theme. The sound was the best part Laughing

PostPosted: 07/28/12 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Realcomplicated wrote:
I'm glad I got a sneak preview so I don't have to waste anytime watching it...

Oh, I don't think any country will ever be able to top China...JMO

It'll be a long time before any country comes close to China.

my favorite moment from Beijing opening ceremony...the drummers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iySCiDaaldw&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL4278356CC803FBFA

vanyogan

PostPosted: 07/28/12 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
bridgehere wrote:
Somehow I DOUBT that being PC kept Great Britain from having a more entertaining opening ceremony.

agreed.

bridgehere wrote:
If PC is going to be the an element, I can see Brazil having problems having anything but a blah ceremony.

no, no impact whatsoever.

bridgehere wrote:
Finally, interesting that one of the individuals carrying the flag was an environmentalist. Wondering what she thought of 7 BILLION pieces of paper being released over the stadium. Shocked

but it was recycled paper!

Quote:
The ceremony, too, reflected the deeply left-leaning sensibilities of Mr. Boyle. It pointedly included trade union members among a parade of people celebrating political agitators from the past, a parade that also included suffragists, Afro-Caribbean immigrants who fought for minority rights, and the Jarrow hunger marchers, who protested against unemployment in 1936.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/sports/olympics/in-olympic-opening-ceremony-britain-asserts-its-eccentric-identity.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

Quote:
Olympic opening ceremony grapples with weighty issues

(AFP) – 6 hours ago

LONDON — A celebration of free healthcare, the trade union struggle, the battle for women's rights and a fleeting lesbian kiss: the Olympics opening ceremony Friday did not shy away from weighty social issues.

Unsurprisingly, the show devised by Oscar-winning British director Danny Boyle drew accusations from the British political right that it had strayed into "leftie" issues.

Aidan Burley, a lawmaker from Prime Minister David Cameron's ruling Conservative party, tweeted: "The most leftie opening ceremony I have ever seen -- more than Beijing, the capital of a communist state! Welfare tribute next?"

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hK3ZHgHyRLFGgFylJyPxUfH0kOtg?docId=CNG.2249ee77cd214cd016f6cfc488472e87.2a1

Maybe PC was the wrong term.

How about lefty dirty diaper Laughing

PostPosted: 07/28/12 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After the ceremonies, all those athletes will be wishing they bought and used the Samson Zoom Q3HD instead of their iPhones...

2 to 1 odds their iPhones run out of batteries during the Paul McCartney concert Idea

The Q3HD runs on AAs, so you just bring a bag of batteries and an extra SD card with you and you can record indefinitely. Not to mention it gets better sound. Cool

SuziQ

PostPosted: 07/28/12 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boyle just pissed away $42 million on that jumbled bunch of let's take the most boring parts of GB's history.

Paul McfuckingCartney. Of all the Beatles songs your hoary old ass could trot out, we get "Hey Jude"!? Jayzuz!

The video portions were good. And while the cauldron lighting was more understated than I would have liked, the cauldron itself is cool.

So happy for Lauren!

I spotted Diana!

Lastly, Ali, I love you with all my heart, but seeing your continued decline is not inspirational. Sorry, it just makes me sadder than hell.

PostPosted: 07/28/12 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:

I spotted Diana!

I think I did too, if that was her, then she was chewing the hell out of her gum for the few seconds I saw her.[/b]
Tally24

PostPosted: 07/28/12 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't believe we got no homage to the Spice Girls Crying or Very sad

The Big Baby was weird. I wish they would have picked a, maybe theme is the right word.
blaase22

PostPosted: 07/28/12 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
SuziQ wrote:

I spotted Diana!

I think I did too, if that was her, then she was chewing the hell out of her gum for the few seconds I saw her.[/b]

I spotted Big Syl for a second too, and Destiny Hooker and Megan Hodge from the Volleyball team.

Also noticed Prince Harry and Prince William are both getting fugly. Crying or Very sad Dad's genes kicking in. Laughing

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/28/12 2:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Tally24"]I can't believe we got no homage to the Spice Girls Crying or Very sad

The Big Baby was weird. I wish they would have picked a, maybe theme is the right word.[/quote

Or the Bee Gees.. Razz

But you're in luck, because I believe the Spice Girls are lined up for the Closing Ceremonies.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/28/12 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
SuziQ wrote:

I spotted Diana!

I saw CP3. Exclamation

Tally24

PostPosted: 07/28/12 2:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
SuziQ wrote:

I spotted Diana!

I saw CP3. Exclamation

I saw Angel two or three times.
Tally24

PostPosted: 07/28/12 2:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Admiral_Needa"]
Tally24 wrote:
I can't believe we got no homage to the Spice Girls Crying or Very sad

The Big Baby was weird. I wish they would have picked a, maybe theme is the right word.[/quote

But you're in luck, because I believe the Spice Girls are lined up for the Closing Ceremonies.

Excuse me while I fanboy out............. Wink
JohnyK

PostPosted: 07/28/12 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awesome ceremony.

PostPosted: 07/28/12 6:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I stopped watching before the Parade of Nations started. I was bored to tears.
sbjules

PostPosted: 07/28/12 10:04 am    ::: Re: Opening Ceremonies Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Why couldn't NBC show it live, AND taped tonight on prime time?

NBC makes me crazy every 4 years; I wondered the same thing.

uncommonclay

PostPosted: 07/28/12 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

were the sex pistols featured at all ???

SuziQ

PostPosted: 07/28/12 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

uncommonclay wrote:
were the sex pistols featured at all ???

"God bless the Queen, she ain't no human being ...."
Ummmm, no.

No Magna Carta? No WW2 or Churchill or Stonehenge? A tribute to the national health service? And that creepy baby head.

I've never been a huge fan of Rowan Atkinson, but he did provide some much needed levity.

PostPosted: 07/28/12 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:
Lastly, Ali, I love you with all my heart, but seeing your continued decline is not inspirational. Sorry, it just makes me sadder than hell.

Same here. I kept thinking, why are they making him go through all that? Again? It was sad in Atlanta, but uplifting at the same time. This time it was just plain sad.

PostPosted: 07/28/12 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, nothing could match China because China basically broke the bank to put it on. In this economy it would have been frowned upon. And I was curious how PC they were going to be because a lot of their history was very imperialistic. Any hint of trade/exploration could be interpreted as colonization/exploitation. And World War 2 could have stirred up trouble with the former Axis powers (and reminded the world of Neville Chamberlain). They did include Churchill during the Bond sequence as a statue that came to life. But all in all these things need to be shorter.

About all they had to work with therefore was their culture: fairy tails, literature, and music. And yeah, that was boring as heck. I watched a live feed from BBC One (no commercials) and was very disappointed in how much NBC cut out. Lauer and Viera seemed to think that silence was bad and that we wanted to hear their opinions on the music, the sights, whatever. Explaining some of the symbolism was enlightening but that was the only thing superior to the BBC broadcast.

As for McCartney and "Hey Jude," that was not done for OUR benefit but rather because it is a cool song to sing along to even if you spoke no English. It must have been awesome to be there for that singalong.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 07/28/12 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
SuziQ wrote:

Same here. I kept thinking, why are they making him go through all that? Again? It was sad in Atlanta, but uplifting at the same time. This time it was just plain sad.

The context made no sense. The flag was being carried by various activists and not ex-Olympians. And he didn't even seem able to raise his hand to put it on the flag. Plus I kept on wondering if there wasn't a British national who had broken down barriers who would qualify?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: