RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Women's Gymnastics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linzin

PostPosted: 08/03/12 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:
mb1 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
F*CK the tiebreaker. they should have given both of them the bronze.

x________x

I agree.

I don't know what event it was or what happened but the US won the gold in a women's event but there were 4 people on the podium and 4 flags raised and two women were on the same podium. I had just turned the tv on and the US national anthem was being played and then it went to commercial after that, so I have no idea of the event or what actually happened.

So, I am wondering if they actually did give two of the same medals in some event.

Judo has two bronze medals for every event. I still find it completely bizarre.

PostPosted: 08/03/12 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
F*CK the tiebreaker. they should have given both of them the bronze.

F*CK the tiebreaker, Ali should have won the bronze by herself. She didn't fall off anything. Razz And the other girl had screw up after screw up.

Although at the end of the day, her fault. She should have kept that extra move in there.

In her or her coaches defense on her front flip after her double Arabian, the move she took out, she had a horrific fall on it, nearly landing on her neck in warms during team finals perhaps it was taken out as a safety precaution.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/03/12 3:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those interested Friday's (8/3) NBC Primetime coverage will begin with a film on the Magnificent 7, the first USA Team to win Olympic Gold, the team was made up of Amanda Borden, Amy Chow, Dominique Dawes, Shannon Miller, Dominique Moceanu, Jaycie Phelps and Kerri Strug.

On a side note this is my favorite gymnastics team ever, so I'm really excited to watch this. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Genero36

PostPosted: 08/03/12 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/03/12 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overall the documentary wasn't what I was expecting, but other than the first part that focused on Kerri Strug I liked the interviews with the gymnast about the team finals, and I was a bit surprised to see Svetlana Khorkina do an interview. I liked it, but I wish they either did a little feature on all 7 or none at all, not just one gymnast with a little glimpse at a 2nd just because they trained in the same gym.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/04/12 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The documentary had appearances by Strug, Moceanu, Borden (Who looked drop dead gorgeous) and Miller.

And as I was one who was utterly enthralled by Svetlana Khorkina back in 96, it was an especially nice thrill to see her now.
GEF34

PostPosted: 08/04/12 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Day 1 of event finals will be on Sunday (8/5) at 6:50am pacific time. (There are 3 days of event finals and the women's events are broken down as 1-1-2)

Here is the start list:

Vault:
1. Brittany Rogers, Canada
2. Janine Berger, Germany
3. Elisabeth Black, Canada
4. Yamilet Pena Abreu, Dominican Republic
5. Oksana Chusovitina, Germany
6. Maria Paseka, Russia
7. McKayla Maroney, USA
8. Sandra Raluca Izbasa, Romania

Here is the rest of the start list:
http://www.fig-docs.com/microsites/london12/results/files/sl/mag/sl_app_d1_f.pdf

Live Scoring:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics/event/women-vault/phase=gaw002100/index.html

Live Stream:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/online-listings/sport=gymnastics/day=august-5/index.html

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/05/12 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching some of the Olympics NBC aired earlier today, and they did a little feature on Oksana Chusovitina of Germany, she is competing in her 6th Olympics and will be competing in the vault finals tomorrow. I thought it was great to highlight a gymnast from another country and tell her story of why she is still competing today.

blaase22

PostPosted: 08/05/12 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked
I feel bad for Maroney.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/05/12 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Shocked
I feel bad for Maroney.

Once she landed on her ass, I'm glad she didn't win though. That would've been a little ridiculous, and led to calls to alter the scoring system yet again. Silver's bad enough. Izbasa deserved the gold in a competition that requires some consistency, not just one outstanding vault and one 'not quite atrocious enough to give it away' vault.

Now come on Louis!

PostPosted: 08/05/12 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Shocked
I feel bad for Maroney.

Once she landed on her ass, I'm glad she didn't win though. That would've been a little ridiculous, and led to calls to alter the scoring system yet again. Silver's bad enough. Izbasa deserved the gold in a competition that requires some consistency, not just one outstanding vault and one 'not quite atrocious enough to give it away' vault.

Now come on Louis!

Well I feel bad that she choked not that she didn't win gold.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/05/12 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I know, sorry, I just came in this thread to make that point and your post was sitting there waiting for me Wink.

Maroney really is a very impressive vaulter when she hits.

PostPosted: 08/05/12 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

***Spoiler Alert, final results of event finals day 1 are listed below***

Event Finals Day 1 results below:

Vault:
1. Sandra Izbasa, Romania 15.191
2. McKayla Maroney, USA 15.083
3. Maria Paseka, Russia 15.050
4. Janine Berger, Germany 15.016
5. Oksana Chusovitina, Germany 14.783
6. Yamilet Pena Abreu, Dominican Republic 14.516
7. Brittany Rogers, Canada 14.483
8. Elsabeth Black, Canada 0.000

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/05/12 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Day 2 of event finals will be on Monday (8/6) at 6:50am pacific time. (There are 3 days of event finals and the women's events are broken down as 1-1-2)

Here is the start list:

Uneven Bars:
1. He Kexin, China
2. Viktoria Komova, Russia
3. Elisabeth Seitz, Germany
4. Yao Jinnan, China
5. Elizabeth Tweddle, Great Britain
6. Aliya Mustafina, Russia
7. Koko Tsurumi, Japan
8. Gabby Douglas, USA

Here is the rest of the start list:
http://www.fig-docs.com/microsites/london12/results/files/sl/mag/sl_app_d2_f.pdf

Live Scoring:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics/event/women-uneven-bars/phase=gaw007100/index.html

Live Stream:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/online-listings/sport=gymnastics/day=august-6/index.html

scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/05/12 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Watching some of the Olympics NBC aired earlier today, and they did a little feature on Oksana Chusovitina of Germany, she is competing in her 6th Olympics and will be competing in the vault finals tomorrow. I thought it was great to highlight a gymnast from another country and tell her story of why she is still competing today.

that was a nice change of pace. i find it interesting that she said she had to leave her country and continue to compete (now in germany) in order to get her 13yo son the health care he needed.

PostPosted: 08/05/12 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

that was a nice change of pace. i find it interesting that she said she had to leave her country and continue to compete (now in germany) in order to get her 13yo son the health care he needed.

Yes, when she did that it was a big story, she felt she owed it to Germany to represent them for them helping her son. Also I don't know if NBC will be showing her vaults, I hope they will, because it was announced during the live stream she is retiring, so these were her last gymnastics performances of her career.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/05/12 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what is Khorkina up to these days? Or did that come up in the interview. I thought she was an awesome gymnast back in the day.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/05/12 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the segment they did on olga corbut was good, too.

PostPosted: 08/05/12 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really wish Tim Dagget, Elfi Schlegel and Al Trautwig would all catch laryngitis. Could you do your job and stop rooting? DUMB ASSES!!! Rolling Eyes

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/05/12 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

Did they include a clip of her on Celebrity Boxing fighting Darva Conger? Laughing

TigerVol

PostPosted: 08/05/12 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

Agreed. I knew she was a key kind of turning point talent but I assumed this was all sponsored by Russia.

As it turns out it was her coaches pretty much bucking the status quo all over the place. Definitely a trail blazer and talk about a meet where her routines just reflected kind of a joyous innocence (less the one bar disaster).

Kind of cool to see something you'd expect to see today that was SO not the norm back then.

PostPosted: 08/05/12 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Daggett is soo freaking annoying. He totally jinxed Mckayla.
I wonder if the choke job will motivate her to come back for Rio.

Genero36

PostPosted: 08/05/12 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Daggett is soo freaking annoying. He totally jinxed Mckayla.
I wonder if the choke job will motivate her to come back for Rio.

Her attitude jinxed her. She seemed a bit cocky for my liking. Like she knew all she had to do is just show up and she'd get the gold. Sometimes those who exalt themselves get humbled.

What an example of poor sportsmanship by her after the Russian came to congratulate her. Someone should remind her that she isn't just representing her entitled self.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/06/12 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Strange, long silent hug by the Romanian Gold Medalist... No smile, no words by Maroney. Russian half-snubbed, German coach given another silent expressionless hug. Shocked

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/06/12 3:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

I read on another board that in a feature on Olga Korbut she talks about the lack of artistry in women's gymnastics, the one I saw today I don't recall hearing any of that, was there another feature on her I missed, or did I just miss that part?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: