RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Women's Gymnastics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/12 7:23 pm    ::: Women's Gymnastics Reply Reply with quote

The FIG has released the list of the gymnast who will compete in London.

Argentina
Valeria Pereyra

Australia
Georgia Bonora
Ashleigh Brennan
Emily Little
Larrissa Miller
Lauren Mitchell

Austria
Barbara Gasser

Belgium
Gaelle Mys

Belarus
Nastassia Marachkouskaya

Brazil
Lais da Silva Souza
Daiane Dos Santos
Bruna Kuroiwa Yamamoto Leal
Daniele Matias Hypolito
Adrian Geovana Nunes Gomes

Bulgaria
Ralitsa Mileva

Canada
Elsabeth Black
Victoria Moors
Dominique Pegg
Brittany Rogers
Kristina Vaculik

Chile
Simona Castro Lazo

China
Deng Lin Lin
He Kexin
Huang Qiushaung
Sui Lu
Yao Jinnan

Colombia
Jessica Gil Ortiz

Croatia
Tina Erceg

Czech Republic
Kristyna Palesova

Dominican Republic
Yamilet Pena Abreu

Egypt
Sherine Ahmed
Salma Mahmoud El Said Mohame

Spain
Maria Paula Vargas

Finland
Annika Urvikko

France
Mira Boumejmajen
Youna Dufournet
Anne Kuhm
Aurelie Malaussena
Sophia Serseri

Great Britain
Imogen Cairns
Jennifer Pinches
Rebecca Tunney
Elizabeth Tweddle
Hannah Whelan

Germany
Janine Berger
Kim Bui
Oksana Chusovitina
Nadine Jarosch
Elisabeth Seitz

Greece
Vasiliki Millousi

Guatemala
Ana Sofia Gomez Porras

Hong Kong
Hiu Ying Angel Wong

Hungry
Dorina Boczogo

Israel
Valeriia Maksiuta

Italy
Francesca Deagostini
Erika Fasana
Carlotta Ferlito
Vanessa Ferrari
Elisabetta Preziosa

Japan
Yu Minobe
Yuko Shintake
Rie Tanaka
Asuka Teramoto
Koko Tsurumi

Kazakhstan
Moldir Azimbay

Korea
Seonmi Heo

Lithuania
Laura Svilpaite

Mexico
Elsa Garcia Rodriguez Blancas

Netherlands
Celine Van Gerner

Poland
Marta Pihan-Kulesza

Portugal
Zoi Mafalda Marques de Lima

Puerto Rico
Lorena Quinones Moreno

Romania
Diana Laura Bulimar
Diana Maria Chelaru
Larisa Andreea Iordache
Sandra Raluca Izbasa
Catalina Ponor

Russa
Kseniia Afanaseva
Anastasia Grishina
Victoria Komova
Aliya Mustafina
Maria Paseka

Singapore
Heem Wei Lim Sin

Slovenia
Sasa Golob

Switzerland
Giulia Steingruber

Slovakia
Maria Homolova

Sweeden
Jonna Adlerteg

Turkey
Goksu Uctas

Ukraine
Nataliya Kononenko

United States
Gabrielle Douglas
McKayla Maroney
Alexandra Raisman
Kyla Ross
Jordyn Wieber

Uzbekistan
Luiza Galiulina

Venezuela
Jessica Lopez

Vietnam
Thi Ngan Thuong
Thi Ha thanh

http://www.fig-gymnastics.com/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,5187-187975-19728-49291-316937-20935-5233-layout210-205197-news-item,00.html

http://www.fig-docs.com/Media/London/LON%202012%20OG%20participants%20WAG%20for%20web%20new.pdf



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 2254



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/19/12 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby Douglas will be interviewed on Rock Center tonight)Fri) at 10pm on NBC.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/25/12 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Qualifications starts on Sunday July 29. (times posted are Pacific time)

1:30am Subdivision 1
Mixed Group 2: Vault
Mixed Group 6: Uneven Bars
Mixed Group 1: Balance Beam
Brazil: Floor Exercise

3:15am Subdivision 2
Mixed Group 4: Vault
Italy: Uneven Bars
Mixed Group 3: Balance Beam
Australia: Floor Exercise

6:45am Subdivision 3
USA: Vault
Canada: Uneven Bars
Great Britain: Balance Beam
France: Floor Exercise

8:30am Subdivision 4
Mixed Group 7: Vault
Germany: Uneven Bars
China: Balance Beam
Russia: Floor Exercise

102pm Subdivision 5
Mixed Group 5: Vault
Japan: Uneven Bars
Mixed Group 8: Balance Beam
Romania: Floor Exercise



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/27/12 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McKayla Maroney will be limited to just vault after aggravating a broken toe, her right big toe, she originally broke it in May and on Thursday she split the bone even further on a beam dismount during training. She is the defending World Champion on vault and will bring in a big score, but with her being limited to one event it can put more pressure on the other four athletes, she was most likely going to compete on vault and floor, she finished 1st and 5th at Olympic Trials on each event, in prelims, which changes things, but she probably would have only done vault in team finals, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but she could stepped in on balance beam and floor if needed.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/gymnastics/mckayla-maroney-to-compete-with-broken-toe.html



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 3:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a link to keep track of scores of qualification round.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics/event/women-qualification/index.html

Live streams for each session are available online, you can either watch an individual event or the main stream.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/online-listings/sport=gymnastics/index.html



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 5:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

***Spoiler Alert, results of subdivision 1 are listed below***



Subdivision 1 has been completed, the teams standings and individual standings are below, top 5 for all around and individual events will be listed for each.

Team:
1. Brazil 161.295

All Around:
1. Ana Sofia Gomez Porras, Guatemala 56.132
2. Gaelle Mys, Belgium 53.698
3. Vasiliki Millousi, Greece 53.524
4. Bruna Kuroiwa Yamamoto Leal, Brazil 52.765
5. Daniele Matias Hypolito, Brazil 52.732

Vault:
1. Yamilet Pena Abreu, Dominican Republic 14.699
2. Hiu Ying Angel Wong, Hong Kong 13.533
3. Dorina Boczogo, Hungary 12.916

Uneven Bars:
1. Kristyna Palesova, Czech Republic 14.133
2. Jonna Adlerteg, Sweden 13.933
3. Vasiliki Millousi, Greece 13.425
4. Valeria Pereyra, Argentina 13.266
4. Gaelle Mys, Belgium 13.266

Balance Beam:
1. Vasiliki Millousi, Greece 14.366
2. Ana Sofia Gomez Porras, Guatemala 14.333
3. Daniele Matias Hypolito, Brazil 14.166
4. Gaelle Mys, Belgium 13.733
5. Ethiene Christina Gonser Franco, Brazil 13.000

Floor:
1. Daiane dos Santos, Brazil 14.166
2. Ana Sofia Gomez Porras, Argentina 14.000
3. Elsa Garcia Rodriguez Blancas, Mexico 13.733
4. Bruna Kuriowa Yamamoto Leal, Brazil 13.433
5. Seonmi Heo, Korea 13.233



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

***Spoiler Alert, results after subdivision 2 are listed below***



Subdivision 2 has been completed, the teams standings and individual standings are below, top 8 for all around and individual events will be listed for each.

Team:
1. Italy 168.397
2. Australia 166.721
3. Brazil 161.295

All Around:
1. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 57.932
2. Ana Sofia Gomez Porras, Guatemala 56.132
3. Carlotta Ferlito, Italy 55.500
4. Giulia Steingruber, Switzerland 54.715
5. Emily Little, Australia 54.498
6. Marta Pihan-Kulesza, Poland 54.365
7. Ashleigh Brennan, Australia 54.232
8. Erika Fasana, Italy 53.965

Vault:
1. Yamilet Pena Abreu, Dominican Republic 14.699
2. Giulia Steingruber, Switzerland 13.924
3. Hiu Ying Angel Wong, Hong Kong 13.533
4. Tina Erceg, Croatia 13.516
5. Zoi Mafalda Marques de Lima, Portugal 13.316
6. Valeriia Maksiuta, Israel 13.300
7. Dorina Boczogo, Hungary 12.916

Uneven Bars:
1. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 14.233
2. Kristyna Palesova, Czech Republic 14.133
3. Marta Pihan-Kulesza, Poland 14.033
4. Larrissa Miller, Australia 14.025
5. Jonna Adlerteg, Sweden 13.933
6. Erika Fasana, Italy 13.666
7. Emily Little, Australia 13.433
8. Nataliya Kononenko, Ukraine 13.433

Balance Beam:
1. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 14.433
2. Carlotta Ferlito, Italy 14.425
3. Vasiliki Millousi, Greece 14.366
4. Ana Sofia Gomez Porras, Guatemala 14.333
5. Lauren Mitchell, Australia 14.300
6. Daniele Matias Hypolito, Brazil 14.166
7. Giulia Steingruber, Switzerland 13.766
8. Gaelle Mys, Belgium 13.733

Floor:
1. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 14.900
2. Lauren Mitchell, Australia 14.833
3. Marta Pihan-Kulesza, Poland 14.333
4. Ashleigh Brennan, Australia 14.200
5. Daiane dos Santos, Brazil 14.166
6. Erika Fasana, Italy 14.033
7. Ana Sofia Gomez Porras, Argentina 14.000
8. Carlotta Ferlito, Italy 13.900



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 45338
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luiza Galiulina of Uzbekistan suspended for positive drug test

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19038114



_________________
Magic, madness, heaven, sin
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 17337
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*SPOILER IF YOU'RE AMERICAN AND THEY HAVEN'T SHOWN THIS YET*












































Big shock, as Jordyn Wieber fails to make the top two among Americans in qualifying, and hence won't compete in the all-around final. Now for the period where we wait and see if either of the Americans who did qualify come down with an 'injury' to let her in...



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
*SPOILER IF YOU'RE AMERICAN AND THEY HAVEN'T SHOWN THIS YET*












































Big shock, as Jordyn Wieber fails to make the top two among Americans in qualifying, and hence won't compete in the all-around final. Now for the period where we wait and see if either of the Americans who did qualify come down with an 'injury' to let her in...


A substitution can be made if Jordyn finishes in the top 24, without an "injury" though I would be surprised if Marta Karolyi made a substitution.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

***Spoiler Alert, results after subdivision 3 are listed below***



Subdivision 3 has been completed, the teams standings and individual standings are below, top 8 for all around and individual events will be listed for each.

Team:
1. USA 181.863
2. Great Britain 170.656
3. Italy 168.397
4. Canada 167.696
5. Australia 166.721
6. France 164.796
7. Brazil 161.295

All Around:
1. Aly Raisman, USA 60.391
2. Gabby Douglas, USA 60.265
3. Jordyn Wieber, USA 60.032
4. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 57.932
5. Rebecca Tunney, Great Britain 56.391
6. Ana Sofia Gomez Porras, Guatemala 56.132
7. Hannah Whelan, Great Britain 55.699
8. Dominique Pegg, Canada 55.657

Vault:
1. McKayla Maroney, USA 15.800
2. Yamilet Pena Abreu, Dominican Republic 14.699
3. Brittany Rogers, Canada 14.483
4. Elsabeth Black, Canada 14.366
5. Giulia Steingruber, Switzerland 13.924
6. Kristina Vaculik, Canada 13.800
7. Hiu Ying Angel Wong, Hong Kong 13.533
8. Tina Erceg, Croatia 13.516

Uneven Bars:
1. Beth Tweddle, Great Britain 16.133
2. Gabby Douglas, USA 15.333
3. Kyla Ross, USA 14.866
4. Jordyn Wieber, USA 14.833
5. Rebecca Tunney, Great Britain 14.825
6. Brittany Rogers, Canada 14.500
7. Youna Dufournet, France 14.500
8. Kristina Vaculick, Canada 14.366

Balance Beam:
1. Gabby Douglas, USA 15.266
2. Aly Raisman, USA 15.100
3. Kyla Ross, USA 15.075
4. Jordyn Wieber, USA 14.700
5. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 14.433
6. Carlotta Ferlito, Italy 14.425
7. Vasiliki Millousi, Greece 14.366
8. Ana Sofia Gomez Porras, Guatemala 14.333

Floor:
1. Aly Raisman, USA 15.325
2. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 14.900
3. Lauren Mitchell, Australia 14.833
4. Jordyn Wieber, USA 14.666
5. Beth Tweddle, Great Britain 14.433
6. Marta Pihan-Kulesza, Poland 14.333
7. Dominique Pegg, Canada 14.233
8. Elsabeth Black, Canada 14.233



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 17337
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love me some Beth Tweddle. That bars routine is insane, and if she hits it she's got every chance to take home gold in the individual. Good performance from our whole team, actually, following in the guys' footsteps from yesterday.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
blaase22



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 2638
Location: Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I miss the old scoring format in gymnastics.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

***Spoiler Alert, results after subdivision 4 are listed below***



Subdivision 4 has been completed, the teams standings and individual standings are below, top 8 for all around and individual events will be listed for each.

Team:
1. USA 181.863
2. Russia 180.429
3. China 176.637
4. Great Britain 170.656
5. Italy 168.397
6. Canada 167.696
7. Germany 167.331
8. Australia 166.721

All Around:
1. Viktoria Komova, Russia 60.632
2. Aly Raisman, USA 60.391
3. Gabby Douglas, USA 60.265
4. Jordyn Wieber, USA 60.032
5. Aliya Mustafina, Russia 59.966
6. Deng Linlin, China 57.998
7. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 57.932
8. Huang Qiushuang, China 57.707

Vault:
1. McKayla Maroney, USA 15.800
2. Maria Paseka, Russia 15.049
3. Oksana Chusovitina, Germany 14.808
4. Yamilet Pena Abreu, Dominican Republic 14.699
5. Janine Berger, Germany 14.483
6. Brittany Rogers, Canada 14.483
7. Elsabeth Black, Canada 14.366
8. Giulia Steingruber, Switzerland 13.924

Uneven Bars:
1. Beth Tweddle, Great Britain 16.133
2. He Kexin, China 15.966
3. Viktoria Komova, Russia 15.833
4. Yao Jinnan, China 15.766
5. Aliya Mustafina, Russia 15.700
6. Gabby Douglas, USA 15.333
7. Huang Qiushuang, China 15.266
8. Elisabeth Seitz, Germany 15.166

Balance Beam:
1. Sui Lu, China 15.400
2. Viktoria Komova, Russia 15.266
3. Gabby Douglas, USA 15.266
4. Deng Linlin, China 15.166
5. Aly Raisman, USA 15.100
6. Kyla Ross, USA 15.075
7. Ksenia Afanasyeva, Russia 15.066
8. Anastasia Grishina, Russia 14.900

Floor:
1. Aly Raisman, USA 15.325
2. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 14.900
3. Ksenia Afanasyeva, Russia 14.833
4. Lauren Mitchell, Australia 14.833
5. Jordyn Wieber, USA 14.666
6. Aliya Mustafina, Russia 14.433
7. Beth Tweddle, Great Britain 14.433
8. Marta Pihan-Kulesza, Poland 14.333



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Love me some Beth Tweddle. That bars routine is insane, and if she hits it she's got every chance to take home gold in the individual. Good performance from our whole team, actually, following in the guys' footsteps from yesterday.


Beth did awesome, I'm glad they showed her routine on the stream and I'm happy she hit, she should battle for gold if she hits like she did today.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
blaase22



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 2638
Location: Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
***Spoiler Alert, results after subdivision 4 are listed below***



Subdivision 4 has been completed, the teams standings and individual standings are below, top 8 for all around and individual events will be listed for each.

Team:
1. USA 181.863
2. Russia 180.429
3. China 176.637
4. Great Britain 170.656
5. Italy 168.397
6. Canada 167.696
7. Germany 167.331
8. Australia 166.721

All Around:
1. Viktoria Komova, Russia 60.632
2. Aly Raisman, USA 60.391
3. Gabby Douglas, USA 60.265
4. Jordyn Wieber, USA 60.032
5. Aliya Mustafina, Russia 59.966
6. Deng Linlin, China 57.998
7. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 57.932
8. Huang Qiushuang, China 57.707

Vault:
1. McKayla Maroney, USA 15.800
2. Maria Paseka, Russia 15.049
3. Oksana Chusovitina, Germany 14.808
4. Yamilet Pena Abreu, Dominican Republic 14.699
5. Janine Berger, Germany 14.483
6. Brittany Rogers, Canada 14.483
7. Elsabeth Black, Canada 14.366
8. Giulia Steingruber, Switzerland 13.924

Uneven Bars:
1. Beth Tweddle, Great Britain 16.133
2. He Kexin, China 15.966
3. Viktoria Komova, Russia 15.833
4. Yao Jinnan, China 15.766
5. Aliya Mustafina, Russia 15.700
6. Gabby Douglas, USA 15.333
7. Huang Qiushuang, China 15.266
8. Elisabeth Seitz, Germany 15.166

Balance Beam:
1. Sui Lu, China 15.400
2. Viktoria Komova, Russia 15.266
3. Gabby Douglas, USA 15.266
4. Deng Linlin, China 15.166
5. Aly Raisman, USA 15.100
6. Kyla Ross, USA 15.075
7. Ksenia Afanasyeva, Russia 15.066
8. Anastasia Grishina, Russia 14.900

Floor:
1. Aly Raisman, USA 15.325
2. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 14.900
3. Ksenia Afanasyeva, Russia 14.833
4. Lauren Mitchell, Australia 14.833
5. Jordyn Wieber, USA 14.666
6. Aliya Mustafina, Russia 14.433
7. Beth Tweddle, Great Britain 14.433
8. Marta Pihan-Kulesza, Poland 14.333



Wow so no Romania in the finals? Shocked

I think it's unfair and retarded to only let 2 women from the same country in the all around finals, if you qualify it shouldn't matter.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 17337
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Wow so no Romania in the finals? Shocked

They were in the fifth subdivision that GEF34 hasn't got to yet. Romania in 4th and Japan in 6th pushed Germany and Australia out of the Team Final.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

***Spoiler Alert, final results after subdivision 5 are listed below***



Subdivision 5 has been completed, the teams standings and individual standings. The top 8 teams advance to the finals, top 24 for all around and and top 8 for individual events, for individual events the 2 per country rule is in effect, so the standings below will reflect that, also substitutions can be made (a gymnast who has also qualified in the top 8 or 24 for all around can be substituted for a teammate who finished higher, so the standings listed below may not be the exact line-up for all around and event finals.

Team:
1. USA 181.863
2. Russia 180.429
3. China 176.637
4. Romania 176.264
5. Great Britain 170.656
6. Japan 170.196
7. Italy 168.397
8. Canada 167.696

All Around:
1. Viktoria Komova, Russia 60.632
2. Aly Raisman, USA 60.391
3. Gabby Douglas, USA 60.265
4. Jordyn Wieber, USA 60.032 (didn't qualify, 3rd American gymnast)
5. Aliya Mustafina, Russia 59.966
6. Deng Linlin, China 57.998
7. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 57.932
8. Asuka Teramoto, Japan 57.865
9. Larisa Iordache, Romania 57.800
10. Huang Qiushuang, China 57.707
11. Sandra Izbasa, Romania 57.532
12. Anastasia Grishina, Russia 57.332 (didn't qualify, 3rd Russian gymnast)
13. Jessica Lopez, Venezuela 56.665
14. Elisabeth Seitz, Germany 56.466
15. Rebecca Tunney, Great Britain 56.391
16. Ana Sofia Gomez Porras, Guatemala 56.132
17. Hannah Whelan, Great Britain 55.699
18. Dominique Pegg, Canada 55.657
19. Celine van Gerner, Netherlands 55.632
20. Carlotta Ferlito, Italy 55.500
21. Jennifer Pinches, Great Britain 55.266 (didn't qualify, 3rd British gymnast)
22. Yao Jinnan, China 54.798 (didn't qualify, 3rd Chinese gymnast)
23. Giulie Steingruber, Switzerland 54.715
24. Emily Little, Australia 54.498
25. Aurelie Malaussena, France 54.399
26. Marta Pihan-Kulesza, Poland 54.365
27. Rie Tanaka, Japan 54.333
28. Ashleigh Brennan, Australia 54.232

Vault:
1. McKayla Maroney, USA 15.800
2. Sandra Izbasa, Romania 15.316
3. Maria Paseka, Russia 15.049
4. Oksana Chusovitina, Germany 14.808
5. Yamilet Pena Abreu, Dominican Republic 14.699
6. Janine Berger, Germany 14.483
7. Brittany Rogers, Canada 14.483
8. Elsabeth Black, Canada 14.366

Uneven Bars:
1. Beth Tweddle, Great Britain 16.133
2. He Kexin, China 15.966
3. Viktoria Komova, Russia 15.833
4. Yao Jinnan, China 15.766
5. Aliya Mustafina, Russia 15.700
6. Gabby Douglas, USA 15.333
7. Huang Qiushuang, China 15.266 (didn't qualify, 3rd Chinese gymnast)
8. Elisabeth Seitz, Germany 15.166
9. Koko Tsurumi, Japan 15.033

Balance Beam:
1. Sui Lu, China 15.400
2. Viktoria Komova, Russia 15.266
3. Gabby Douglas, USA 15.266
4. Deng Linlin, China 15.166
5. Aly Raisman, USA 15.100
6. Kyla Ross, USA 15.075 (didn't qualify, 3rd American gymnast)
7. Ksenia Afanasyeva, Russia 15.066
8. Catalina Ponor, Romania 15.033
9. Anastasia Grishina, Russia 14.900 (didn't qualify, 3rd Russian gymnast)
10. Diana Laura Bulimar, Romania 14.866

Floor:
1. Aly Raisman, USA 15.325
2. Sandra Izbasa, Romania 15.066
3. Vanessa Ferrari, Italy 14.900
4. Ksenia Afanasyeva, Russia 14.833
5. Lauren Mitchell, Australia 14.833
6. Jordyn Wieber, USA 14.666
7. Catalina Ponor, Romania 14.600
8. Aliya Mustafina, Russia 14.433



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 13799



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You gotta root for a girl named Ferrari.


blaase22



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 2638
Location: Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugh Kyla Ross should be able to compete for a medal in Balance beam, what a stupid rule. Mad


bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 2254



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
*SPOILER IF YOU'RE AMERICAN AND THEY HAVEN'T SHOWN THIS YET*












































Big shock, as Jordyn Wieber fails to make the top two among Americans in qualifying, and hence won't compete in the all-around final. Now for the period where we wait and see if either of the Americans who did qualify come down with an 'injury' to let her in...


Stay out of my mind Very Happy Darn if I didn't think the same thing, especially after all the hoopla about her not making it. How about letting the 2 who preformed BETTER have their spot which THEY earned. I feel bad for Jordyn but not at the expense of those who had a better showing. I will be really pissed if Jordyn is "slipped" into the all around due to "injury" of either of the 2 who made it on their preformance.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 17337
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the tiebreaker that makes Mustafina's 14.433 on floor better than Tweddle's 14.433? Because whatever that difference is kept Beth out of another individual apparatus final.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:

Stay out of my mind Very Happy Darn if I didn't think the same thing, especially after all the hoopla about her not making it. How about letting the 2 who preformed BETTER have their spot which THEY earned. I feel bad for Jordyn but not at the expense of those who had a better showing. I will be really pissed if Jordyn is "slipped" into the all around due to "injury" of either of the 2 who made it on their preformance.


A substitution does not have to be made due to injury, the USA can make a substitution simply because Jordyn finished in the top 24. If a substitution is made for injury that gymnast can not compete in the event finals she qualified for, if she is substituted just because than she can compete in the event finals she qualified for. I don't know if Martha Karolyi will made the substitution, but I guarantee you if she does it won't be because of an "injury" because every US gymnast who qualified for an even final will compete in even finals unless they are substituted as well, but the only event a substitute can be made is beam.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
aryia11



Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 232



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

why did only one US girl do a second vault to qualify for vault?
Any of them would have qualified for the event finals.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

aryia11 wrote:
why did only one US girl do a second vault to qualify for vault?
Any of them would have qualified for the event finals.


Because the vaults have to be from 2 different families (entry onto the vaulting table), and for most of the gymnast who are all-around will only train and perfect or get as close to perfection as possible and spend their time working on other events, to qualify for the all around and in the all around a gymnast just needs on really good vault, not real reason to work on another one.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 2254



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

Stay out of my mind Very Happy Darn if I didn't think the same thing, especially after all the hoopla about her not making it. How about letting the 2 who preformed BETTER have their spot which THEY earned. I feel bad for Jordyn but not at the expense of those who had a better showing. I will be really pissed if Jordyn is "slipped" into the all around due to "injury" of either of the 2 who made it on their preformance.


A substitution does not have to be made due to injury, the USA can make a substitution simply because Jordyn finished in the top 24. If a substitution is made for injury that gymnast can not compete in the event finals she qualified for, if she is substituted just because than she can compete in the event finals she qualified for. I don't know if Martha Karolyi will made the substitution, but I guarantee you if she does it won't be because of an "injury" because every US gymnast who qualified for an even final will compete in even finals unless they are substituted as well, but the only event a substitute can be made is beam.


Why on earth would she make a substitution "just because". If she were the parent of either of the 2 who made it and the coach did a just because switch I am sure she wouldn't like it. What reason would she have to make a substitution anyway, it's not like the all around has anything to do with the team, it is an individual medal. If she did that just to allow Jordyn to compete it would be unprofessional IMO. You don't reward someone who didn't do their best by knocking out someone else who did. The ladies have to EARN the right to compete in all arounds not have it just given to them. Ally and Gabby both earned their opportunity.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
What's the tiebreaker that makes Mustafina's 14.433 on floor better than Tweddle's 14.433? Because whatever that difference is kept Beth out of another individual apparatus final.


from what I gathered on another message board, both had the same e-score, but Aliya Mustafina had a higher d score, so Aliya gets the higher placement.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

Stay out of my mind Very Happy Darn if I didn't think the same thing, especially after all the hoopla about her not making it. How about letting the 2 who preformed BETTER have their spot which THEY earned. I feel bad for Jordyn but not at the expense of those who had a better showing. I will be really pissed if Jordyn is "slipped" into the all around due to "injury" of either of the 2 who made it on their preformance.


A substitution does not have to be made due to injury, the USA can make a substitution simply because Jordyn finished in the top 24. If a substitution is made for injury that gymnast can not compete in the event finals she qualified for, if she is substituted just because than she can compete in the event finals she qualified for. I don't know if Martha Karolyi will made the substitution, but I guarantee you if she does it won't be because of an "injury" because every US gymnast who qualified for an even final will compete in even finals unless they are substituted as well, but the only event a substitute can be made is beam.


Why on earth would she make a substitution "just because". If she were the parent of either of the 2 who made it and the coach did a just because switch I am sure she wouldn't like it. What reason would she have to make a substitution anyway, it's not like the all around has anything to do with the team, it is an individual medal. If she did that just to allow Jordyn to compete it would be unprofessional IMO. You don't reward someone who didn't do their best by knocking out someone else who did. The ladies have to EARN the right to compete in all arounds not have it just given to them. Ally and Gabby both earned their opportunity.


It happens all the time in gymnastics, if a gymnast qualifies, but isn't among the top 2, she can replace a teammate who placed her higher than her. Sometimes a coach will do it because they believe that gymnast has a better chance of winning, or that gymnast has a better reputation, or other various reasons. She is the national team coordinator so she has final say whether a substitution is made, granted it's not a team event, but it's not like she no longer has power over the team once the team competition is over.

With that said I don't see her making a substitution, but it has been done in gymnastics and a gymnast doesn't have to be "injured" to be substituted.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
UTexRulz23



Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 2605
Location: Austin, Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

Stay out of my mind Very Happy Darn if I didn't think the same thing, especially after all the hoopla about her not making it. How about letting the 2 who preformed BETTER have their spot which THEY earned. I feel bad for Jordyn but not at the expense of those who had a better showing. I will be really pissed if Jordyn is "slipped" into the all around due to "injury" of either of the 2 who made it on their preformance.


A substitution does not have to be made due to injury, the USA can make a substitution simply because Jordyn finished in the top 24. If a substitution is made for injury that gymnast can not compete in the event finals she qualified for, if she is substituted just because than she can compete in the event finals she qualified for. I don't know if Martha Karolyi will made the substitution, but I guarantee you if she does it won't be because of an "injury" because every US gymnast who qualified for an even final will compete in even finals unless they are substituted as well, but the only event a substitute can be made is beam.


Why on earth would she make a substitution "just because". If she were the parent of either of the 2 who made it and the coach did a just because switch I am sure she wouldn't like it. What reason would she have to make a substitution anyway, it's not like the all around has anything to do with the team, it is an individual medal. If she did that just to allow Jordyn to compete it would be unprofessional IMO. You don't reward someone who didn't do their best by knocking out someone else who did. The ladies have to EARN the right to compete in all arounds not have it just given to them. Ally and Gabby both earned their opportunity.


It happens all the time in gymnastics, if a gymnast qualifies, but isn't among the top 2, she can replace a teammate who placed her higher than her. Sometimes a coach will do it because they believe that gymnast has a better chance of winning, or that gymnast has a better reputation, or other various reasons. She is the national team coordinator so she has final say whether a substitution is made, granted it's not a team event, but it's not like she no longer has power over the team once the team competition is over.

With that said I don't see her making a substitution, but it has been done in gymnastics and a gymnast doesn't have to be "injured" to be substituted.


Isn't Wieber's personal coach also the head coach of the whole team? I mean, obviously Martha is calling the shots, but, just something to consider. But, for the record, I don't think a substitution will happen.



_________________
The Houston Comets disbanding will always be the biggest black cloud in the history of the WNBA. Pitiful.
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

Stay out of my mind Very Happy Darn if I didn't think the same thing, especially after all the hoopla about her not making it. How about letting the 2 who preformed BETTER have their spot which THEY earned. I feel bad for Jordyn but not at the expense of those who had a better showing. I will be really pissed if Jordyn is "slipped" into the all around due to "injury" of either of the 2 who made it on their preformance.


A substitution does not have to be made due to injury, the USA can make a substitution simply because Jordyn finished in the top 24. If a substitution is made for injury that gymnast can not compete in the event finals she qualified for, if she is substituted just because than she can compete in the event finals she qualified for. I don't know if Martha Karolyi will made the substitution, but I guarantee you if she does it won't be because of an "injury" because every US gymnast who qualified for an even final will compete in even finals unless they are substituted as well, but the only event a substitute can be made is beam.


Why on earth would she make a substitution "just because". If she were the parent of either of the 2 who made it and the coach did a just because switch I am sure she wouldn't like it. What reason would she have to make a substitution anyway, it's not like the all around has anything to do with the team, it is an individual medal. If she did that just to allow Jordyn to compete it would be unprofessional IMO. You don't reward someone who didn't do their best by knocking out someone else who did. The ladies have to EARN the right to compete in all arounds not have it just given to them. Ally and Gabby both earned their opportunity.


It happens all the time in gymnastics, if a gymnast qualifies, but isn't among the top 2, she can replace a teammate who placed her higher than her. Sometimes a coach will do it because they believe that gymnast has a better chance of winning, or that gymnast has a better reputation, or other various reasons. She is the national team coordinator so she has final say whether a substitution is made, granted it's not a team event, but it's not like she no longer has power over the team once the team competition is over.

With that said I don't see her making a substitution, but it has been done in gymnastics and a gymnast doesn't have to be "injured" to be substituted.


Isn't Wieber's personal coach also the head coach of the whole team? I mean, obviously Martha is calling the shots, but, just something to consider. But, for the record, I don't think a substitution will happen.


He is the team head coach, but she has final say, he can't make a substitution on his own because he is head coach, it has to come from her.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 2254



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One other question. Gabby had the highest score on vault 15.900 (team) why is there only 1 us gymnast in the vault final. Shouldn't she be in that final along with McKayla who scored 15.800. I know McKayla is the vault specialist but if the top 2 qualify why isn't Gabby there. At first I thought it was because she was in the AA but she is also in beam and bars for individual. Are they trying to keep down the number of medals she could win? McKayla is the vault specialist but Gabby had a higher score on vault than McKayla. I guess they don't want to face the chance that she might win the individual in vault.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
One other question. Gabby had the highest score on vault 15.900 (team) why is there only 1 us gymnast in the vault final. Shouldn't she be in that final along with McKayla who scored 15.800. I know McKayla is the vault specialist but if the top 2 qualify why isn't Gabby there. At first I thought it was because she was in the AA but she is also in beam and bars for individual. Are they trying to keep down the number of medals she could win? McKayla is the vault specialist but Gabby had a higher score on vault than McKayla. I guess they don't want to face the chance that she might win the individual in vault.


To qualify for vault finals a gymnast has to complete 2 vaults from different families (entry onto the vault table), McKayla Maroney is the only gymnast on the US team that competes 2 vaults to qualify for vault finals. It is most likely Gabby's choice to only train one vault and concentrate on doing that as best she can as well as increasing/improving/perfecting the other 3 events to increase her all around chances.

BTW in terms of team competition McKayla and Gabby both scored a 15.9.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
scullyfu



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 7876
Location: buffalo


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bela karoly was on with bob costas and blasting the two-per-team rule, stating that the competition is supposed to be for the 24 best gymnasts, that a person shouldn't be penalized just because they come from a strong team. he also questioned the scoring and deductions on all of jordyn's events.


Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 1777
Location: Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 2:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not an expert in Gymnastics, nor will I ever be, but even to me as an intersted observer this rule doesn't seem right.

You want the top 24 to be competing in the AA. Is it fair to penalize a country with a talented group of gymnasts?

In the interview with Károlyi, they compared the sitiuation to the NCAA Tournement. They said something like "Now to put this in perspective it would be like only the Top Two Teams from each confrence getting into the NCAA Tourement.

That would mean only Notre Dame and UConn would get in from the Big East, adn obviously they aren't the only ones from the confrence that are deserving of a berth. They may be themost deserving, but the the only deserving ones.

This comparrison really put it into perspective for me.

Oh and on a sidenote, I sure do miss Nastia Liukin Crying or Very sad
blaase22



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 2638
Location: Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a retarded rule. I really am losing interest in gymnastics with all these rule changes. I don't like lowering the number of gymnasts per country to 5 from 7 , or not allowing gymnasts younger than 16. If they're good enough they should be allowed to compete regardless of their age IMO. It is incredibly unfair to gymnasts that are 14/15 in an olympic year when the peak age of the sport is 16/17:?


Tally24 wrote:
I'm not an expert in Gymnastics, nor will I ever be, but even to me as an intersted observer this rule doesn't seem right.

You want the top 24 to be competing in the AA. Is it fair to penalize a country with a talented group of gymnasts?

In the interview with Károlyi, they compared the sitiuation to the NCAA Tournement. They said something like "Now to put this in perspective it would be like only the Top Two Teams from each confrence getting into the NCAA Tourement.

That would mean only Notre Dame and UConn would get in from the Big East, adn obviously they aren't the only ones from the confrence that are deserving of a berth. They may be themost deserving, but the the only deserving ones.

This comparrison really put it into perspective for me.

Oh and on a sidenote, I sure do miss Nastia Liukin Crying or Very sad


Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 1777
Location: Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
It's a retarded rule. I really am losing interest in gymnastics with all these rule changes. I don't like lowering the number of gymnasts per country to 5 from 7 , or not allowing gymnasts younger than 16. If they're good enough they should be allowed to compete regardless of their age IMO. It is incredibly unfair to gymnasts that are 14/15 in an olympic year when the peak age of the sport is 16/17:?


Tally24 wrote:
I'm not an expert in Gymnastics, nor will I ever be, but even to me as an intersted observer this rule doesn't seem right.

You want the top 24 to be competing in the AA. Is it fair to penalize a country with a talented group of gymnasts?

In the interview with Károlyi, they compared the sitiuation to the NCAA Tournement. They said something like "Now to put this in perspective it would be like only the Top Two Teams from each confrence getting into the NCAA Tourement.

That would mean only Notre Dame and UConn would get in from the Big East, adn obviously they aren't the only ones from the confrence that are deserving of a berth. They may be themost deserving, but the the only deserving ones.

This comparrison really put it into perspective for me.

Oh and on a sidenote, I sure do miss Nastia Liukin Crying or Very sad


I find it terrifingly amamzing that once you hit your 20's you might be on the decline as a gymnast! (I think, but not sure)
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 2319



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 4:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK

The rule is stupid the whole point of the Olympics is to let the best athletes in the world compete and Jordyn came in 4th for crying out loud and there are 24 spots. It is devastating to watch someone have their dreamed ripped away from them based on a technicality. She did her best to keep it classy even though you know she was dying inside.

There was a moment after the beam when Jordyn spoke with her coach on the sidelines and he basically said that her score were opening up the door for the other girl, I think he psyched her out and while this kind of motivation works for some athletes I think he put some negatives in her mind when she needed to be getting focused for her floor exercise. On the other hand The girl who sort of came out of no where Aly said in her final interview that she wasn't even aware of the scores and I think that helped her. I also think being under the radar helped her, and you saw on her beam and floor exercise that she had that kill it expression on her face. She wasn't going to let anyone stop her from making the all around when that power was in her hands. Those are the kind of moments when you see someone rise up against their percieved limitations that make athletics transcend into the drama of the human condition, and gives the whole thing deeper meaning then whose the best at tumbling on a mat. The irony is the Jordyn will probably have an amazing team competition because she'll have something to prove, and the pressure will be off.

I feel terrible for Jordyn but I love watching an athlete seize the moment and that is exactly what Aly did. With that said the rule is lame, no way should someone who comes in 4th be replaced by someone who comes in 25th that is just absurd, and it does taint the sport.


scullyfu



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 7876
Location: buffalo


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think a coach knows his player, and how to motivate her, better than any one of us. he's been with her for years, day in, day out. he most definitely knows her psyche, what to tell her and how much she can take.

my gripe with these subjective scoring sports (gymnastics, ice skating, diving) is that it is just that, subjective. back in the day, the lop-sided scoring was very much blatantly straight down geo-political lines. not so much anymore, but many an athlete's heart was broken with the old scoring system.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
It's a retarded rule. I really am losing interest in gymnastics with all these rule changes. I don't like lowering the number of gymnasts per country to 5 from 7 , or not allowing gymnasts younger than 16. If they're good enough they should be allowed to compete regardless of their age IMO. It is incredibly unfair to gymnasts that are 14/15 in an olympic year when the peak age of the sport is 16/17:?


Is it really fair to say a gymnasts peak age is 16-17 though, look at how many women are competing and are doing better gymnastics in their early to mid-20s than they did when they were 16-17. I think now gymnasts are really showing 16-17 isn't really a peak age anymore as it was in the past, but with that said I think a lot of the rules are unfair to gymnasts and country. With the exception of changing the size of the team, the rules have been in effect since 1997, and teams were changed from 7 to 6 in 1997 as well, so really the only new rule is changing the team size from 6 to 5.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 2254



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
One other question. Gabby had the highest score on vault 15.900 (team) why is there only 1 us gymnast in the vault final. Shouldn't she be in that final along with McKayla who scored 15.800. I know McKayla is the vault specialist but if the top 2 qualify why isn't Gabby there. At first I thought it was because she was in the AA but she is also in beam and bars for individual. Are they trying to keep down the number of medals she could win? McKayla is the vault specialist but Gabby had a higher score on vault than McKayla. I guess they don't want to face the chance that she might win the individual in vault.


To qualify for vault finals a gymnast has to complete 2 vaults from different families (entry onto the vault table), McKayla Maroney is the only gymnast on the US team that competes 2 vaults to qualify for vault finals. It is most likely Gabby's choice to only train one vault and concentrate on doing that as best she can as well as increasing/improving/perfecting the other 3 events to increase her all around chances.

BTW in terms of team competition McKayla and Gabby both scored a 15.9.


Thanks for the explanation. Oh, I saw my mistake in the scores.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
One other question. Gabby had the highest score on vault 15.900 (team) why is there only 1 us gymnast in the vault final. Shouldn't she be in that final along with McKayla who scored 15.800. I know McKayla is the vault specialist but if the top 2 qualify why isn't Gabby there. At first I thought it was because she was in the AA but she is also in beam and bars for individual. Are they trying to keep down the number of medals she could win? McKayla is the vault specialist but Gabby had a higher score on vault than McKayla. I guess they don't want to face the chance that she might win the individual in vault.


To qualify for vault finals a gymnast has to complete 2 vaults from different families (entry onto the vault table), McKayla Maroney is the only gymnast on the US team that competes 2 vaults to qualify for vault finals. It is most likely Gabby's choice to only train one vault and concentrate on doing that as best she can as well as increasing/improving/perfecting the other 3 events to increase her all around chances.

BTW in terms of team competition McKayla and Gabby both scored a 15.9.


Thanks for the explanation. Oh, I saw my mistake in the scores.


You're welcome, and if you have any other questions feel free to ask, either or in the men's thread if you have a question about men's gymnastics, and I'll do my best to answer or find the answer for you.

Also I just figured you looked at McKayla's average in the vault finalist list, no biggie. Wink



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the start list for the Finals which will be on Tuesday (7/31) at 8:30am pacific time.

Rotation 1:
Vault: USA, Russia
Uneven Bars: China, Romania
Balance Beam: Great Britain, Japan
Floor: Italy, Canada

Complete rotation list:
http://www.fig-docs.com/microsites/london12/results/files/sl/wag/sl_wag_team_f.pdf

Live scoring:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics/event/women-team/index.html

Live stream:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/online-listings/sport=gymnastics/day=july-31/index.html



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 2254



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/12 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen the lineup and assignments for the team final. Gabby is doing all 4 rotations, Jordyn is doing 3, Ally and Kayla are doing 2 each and McKyala is doing 1.

It would seem to me that Jordyn, being the World Champion, would participate in all 4 rotations. I really, really hope that Gabby isn't being set up for injury. I hope I am wrong but I just have a gut feeling that somehow Jordyn is going to get into the all around at the expense of someone else. Keeping my fingers crossed that that is not the case.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 8316



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/12 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

***SPOILER***


























USA women just won team gold. Russia won silver, Romania won bronze.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!
blaase22



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 2638
Location: Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/12 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw the BBC1 broadcast online and it's so much better than NBC it's not even funny. The american girls stepped up to the plate unlike the men, total domination,Congrats to them. I hope Gabby and Ally finish 1 and 2 in the all around, the Russian girls seem like trainwrecks.


SouthernFan



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 308



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/12 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the American ladies. Incredibly talented group!


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/12 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

***Spoiler Alert, results of team finals are listed below***




The Final women's standings are listed below


Team:
1. USA 183.596
2. Russia 178.530
3. Romania 176.414
4. China 174.430
5. Canada 170.804
6. Great Britain 170.495
7. Italy 167.930
8. Japan 166.646

The USA wins the team Olympic gold for the 2nd time in history, the first time was in 1996. As the saying goes history repeats itself, the last time USA won gold in Atlanta the top 4 teams finished in exactly the same order.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 11981
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/12 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
The american girls stepped up to the plate unlike the men, total domination,Congrats to them. I hope Gabby and Ally finish 1 and 2 in the all around, the Russian girls seem like trainwrecks.


It's a shame that the men are characterized based on one night. No one cares what happened in the past, it's just this one night and they are branded for life, they didn't fall apart last year at the World Championships when they won the team bronze, but now they are chokers and they can't step up to the plate. This is the same thing that happened to Alicia Sacramone and led her to coming back, she was a world championship, she was an anchor for the USA, hitting the gold medal clinching floor routine at the 2007 world championships, but she was only know as the girl who fell on beam in Beijing. She has even said, she doesn't understand how can one bad night write her career, no one cared she led the team to gold at the world championships, no one cared she won individual gold medals the last 3 years, all she was known as the girl who fell on beam. The same can also be said for the Russian women, one night doesn't write their careers, there are world champions and world medalist on the team that won the silver medal, they have had great careers in the past 2 years, but one bad night and now they are called trainwrecks.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
PalaceAthena



Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 1084



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/12 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, for anyone that cares...

The rule about only 2 gymnasts per country allowed to compete in the All Around was changed after the 2000 Sydney Olympics when Romania swept the podium: Andrea Raducan won gold, Simona Amanar took silver and Maria Olaru bronze. Raducan, infamously and sadly, had her gold stripped for testing positive for Sudafed, of all things, which was given to her by the team doctor because she had a cold. So the fourth place girl from China was moved up to bronze. The rest of the story...Raducan had to return her gold, but initially Amanar and Olaru refused to upgrade their medals insisting their teammate was the true all-around champion. Amanar eventually did take the gold but said it was just so she could bring it back to Romania where it belonged. And she supposedly gave the gold back to Raducan once back in Romania.

Andrea Raducan photo then...
http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-athletes-who-lost-their-olympic-medal.php/andreea-raducan-top-tenz-2

And photo now...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreea_R%C4%83ducan


bridgehere



Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 4729



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/12 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

Stay out of my mind Very Happy Darn if I didn't think the same thing, especially after all the hoopla about her not making it. How about letting the 2 who preformed BETTER have their spot which THEY earned. I feel bad for Jordyn but not at the expense of those who had a better showing. I will be really pissed if Jordyn is "slipped" into the all around due to "injury" of either of the 2 who made it on their preformance.


A substitution does not have to be made due to injury, the USA can make a substitution simply because Jordyn finished in the top 24. If a substitution is made for injury that gymnast can not compete in the event finals she qualified for, if she is substituted just because than she can compete in the event finals she qualified for. I don't know if Martha Karolyi will made the substitution, but I guarantee you if she does it won't be because of an "injury" because every US gymnast who qualified for an even final will compete in even finals unless they are substituted as well, but the only event a substitute can be made is beam.


I don't see any way that they substitute Jordyn in, unless someone is really injured. Did you see Aly's parents when she performed? They would kill before they would let that happen. Of course, I guess they could substitute for Gabby but she was expected to be in the all-around from what the announcers were saying. I agree there won't be substitutions unless from a real injury.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin