RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

US Men's Basketball Team
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/06/12 6:33 pm    ::: US Men's Basketball Team Reply Reply with quote

Carmelo Anthony: The forward is considered a lock to join the team.

Kobe Bryant: There were fans lined up at 10:00 AM outside of the gym an hour before practice started hoping to catch a glimpse of the legendary guard. He’s a lock to make the squad.

Tyson Chandler: With injuries to Chris Bosh, Lamar Odom, and Dwight Howard, Tyson is now considered a sure-fire Olympian. He’s one of five former or current Hornets (counting Kobe) who is a finalist this year.

Anthony Davis: Even after the ankle injury, Davis has a solid chance to make the squad. He’d likely play the role that Christian Laettner filled for the original dream team– running the occasional errand for the vets (There’s a story of the team sending Laettner to the store to get playing cards), being on the receiving end of jokes from the veterans, playing spot minutes, and learning everything possible from some of the greatest players on earth. Everyone is expecting Davis to be an Olympian for years to come, and it’s clearly advantageous for him to get the experience now, instead of when the team is truly counting on him to perform. If the ankle isn’t bad– and reports are now saying it’s not– I think he has a solid chance.

Kevin Durant: He would probably make the team even if all he had was the zone-breaking shooting ability. Add in that he’s physically unguardable for 99% of players that he’ll run into internationally, and it’s clear he’ll have a spot. Oh, he’s being referred to as “Golden Boy”.

Rudy Gay: Frankly, I don’t see the point of having Gay on the team. There’s really nothing that he does that others can’t do. Still, word on the street is that he’s likely to get a spot. He’s a solid slasher who can create his own shot and play defense. Gay is clearly a nice guy to have on your team, but I guess I just don’t see a ton of reason for a squad with so many wings to take Gay when they seem more in need of a big man.

Eric Gordon: Obviously I like Gordon’s game, but he’s known for getting hurt, barely played last season, and only has a bit of experience on the 2010 team. He’ll be battling for the final spot on the team against Gay and Harden. Because of his injury concern and the reality that he just hasn’t played much lately, I don’t think he makes it. Sorry, Suns Hornets fans. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Blake Griffin: Need another reason to hate Blake? He’s the guy battling Davis for a spot on the team. Frankly he can’t hit a jumper and has next to no experience with the international game. Still, he probably has the advantage over Davis just because he’s a more developed player. I’ll say “bah humbug” if he makes it and Davis doesn’t. It will truly be a waste of a spot, since Davis has the brighter future and has more to gain as a player by being around the likes of Kobe, Lebron, and Paul, than Griffin does.

James Harden: Sixth man of the year who can hit the open shot? Yes, please. I don’t think they’ll hold his subpar finals against him, but it’s not out of the question. The positive of playing so recently is that he’s probably still in game-shape. I think he’ll battle with Iguodala for a spot. I’d say the odds are against him.

Andre Iguodala: Speaking of the man… Iggy is a shut-down defender with a good bit of international experience. I expect he’ll come off the bench to relieve Kobe. While I won’t call him a lock, he’s the closest one to being assured a spot in my opinion.

LeBron: I won’t waste too much time here– He’s the best player in the world, so he makes it.

Kevin Love: When you have the option to take a big man who can shoot from the outside, mess up zones, and rebound with anyone in the world, you do it. Love will be on the team.

Chris Paul: Yup.

Russell Westbrook: Although I think taking three point guards is a bit redundant, especially when you have LeBron capable of playing the same position, Westbrook will make the team.

Deron Williams: Williams played well in the 2008 Olympics, and there’s no reason to think he won’t make the cut this time as well. He’s a lock in my book.

So there you have it: 15 players, 12 spots, 9 locks.

The Breakdown

3 point guards (all locks)

3 shooting guards (1 lock, 2 bubble)

4 small forwards (3 locks, 1 bubble)

3 power forwards (1 lock, 2 bubbles)

1 center (lock)

The DeSelect Team is made up of DeJuan Blair, DeMarcus Cousins, DeMar DeRozen (see why I said the “de” select team???), Derrick Favors, Paul George, Taj Gibson, Gordon Hayward, Jrue Holliday, Kyrie Irving, Kawhi Leaonard, Lance Thomas, Klay Thompson and John Wall.

If you’re wondering why Thomas is on the team, it has to do with the Pan Am Games. The US Men’s Team captured a bronze medal. This triggered an agreement to take two players from the bronze-winning team to be on the Select Team. Thomas was chosen to fill one of these slots from that small population.

We’ll have some updates later in the day, but be sure to follow us here and follow the team in London. It’s a matter of national and Hornets pride, plus it’s the first glimpse of what Davis will be doing with NOLA slapped across his chest once he’s does some justice for the USA.

About Team USA Olympic Trials in Las Vegas | New Orleans Hornets | Hornets247.com

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/06/12 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
LAS VEGAS (AP) - The U.S. men's Olympic basketball team has opened training camp and quickly had its first injury.

Chris Paul was forced to leave to get an X-ray after hurting his thumb. The Americans don't believe the injury is serious and hope Paul can practice Saturday.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/48101040/ns/sports/

toad455

PostPosted: 07/06/12 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

based on their lack of posts and over stocking of guards; here's my guess for the final 12 are:

PG: DWilliams/Paul/Westbrook
SG: Bryant/Durant/Harden*
SF: James/Anthony
PF: Griffin/Davis
C: Love/Chandler

EDITED: Wade has been ruled out for the Olympics with a knee inury & Chris Paul injured his thumb during their first practice. Paul is expected to be ok by the Olympics. I'd replace Wade with Harden.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/07/12 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
RT @briancmahoney: AP source: Iguodala, Griffin, Harden take last three Olympic spots. Gay, Gordon, Davis miss out (CO-SIGN 100 PERCENT)

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/07/12 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
RT @briancmahoney: AP source: Iguodala, Griffin, Harden take last three Olympic spots. Gay, Gordon, Davis miss out (CO-SIGN 100 PERCENT)

Are you co-signing? Or what is it Mahoney? Laughing

Realcomplicated

PostPosted: 07/07/12 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay like I said previously in a thread I foolishly posted on the NBA board, I don't know how I feel about this team yet! Confused

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/07/12 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Realcomplicated wrote:
Okay like I said previously in a thread I foolishly posted on the NBA board, I don't know how I feel about this team yet! Confused

This team is definitely lacking a strong inside presence, but it makes up for it with incredible versatility.

Last edited by Iluvacc on 07/07/12 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 07/07/12 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

were there no other posts they could have tried out?? Roy Hibbert?? Andrew Bynum?? Joakim Noah?? LeBron won't be happy having to play PF!!!

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/07/12 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
were there no other posts they could have tried out?? Roy Hibbert?? Andrew Bynum?? Joakim Noah?? LeBron won't be happy having to play PF!!!

Joakim Noah was going to play for France, before he pulled out because of an injury.

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/07/12 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Joakim Noah was going to play for France, before he pulled out because of an injury.

Yep, and Bynum didn't want to participate. He turned down an invite, earlier in the year. He's concerned about his knees holding up.

I watched Coach K on NBATV during the announcement, and he said that everyone but Paul and Chandler can and probably will play multiple positions.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/09/12 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They look pretty weak in the post. They are gonna have some trouble there. Dont really see the use of Griffin against international competition. It doesnt suit well at all..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/11/12 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
In an interview on The Mike Missanelli Show on 97.5 The Fanatic Philadelphia, Dream Team member Charles Barkley said his squad would win by double digits.

"Oh yeah, that's no disrespect," Barkley said. "I ain't got to badmouth them. But like I said, their point guards weren't going to beat us. That's a no-brainer."

Barkley also brushed aside Bryant's comments about the Dream Team's age.

"I just started laughing," Barkley said. "How old is Kobe Bryant? He's 34? And he's calling us old? At the time, we were only like 28, 29. Michael Jordan and me were the same age. We were both 29. ...

"Other than Kobe, LeBron (James) and Kevin Durant, I don't think anybody else on that team makes our team."

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8158008/charles-barkley-says-1992-dream-team-beat-2012-olympic-team-double-digits

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/12/12 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA Y! Sources: Clippers star Blake Griffin injures left knee in Team USA scrimmage, sent to Los Angeles for MRI exam. http://tinyurl.com/7ddwshj

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 07/12/12 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA Y! Sources: Clippers star Blake Griffin injures left knee in Team USA scrimmage, sent to Los Angeles for MRI exam. http://tinyurl.com/7ddwshj

I'm hoping it isn't serious enough to affect his 2012-13 season, but I wouldn't shed tears if this caused him to miss the Olympics. I'd rather have Anthony Davis.

Mathies to LA 2013
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/12/12 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
I'm hoping it isn't serious enough to affect his 2012-13 season, but I wouldn't shed tears if this caused him to miss the Olympics. I'd rather have Anthony Davis.

Those in attendance said that it looked serious as an ACL tear.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 07/12/12 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Those in attendance said that it looked serious as an ACL tear.

Obviously, I hope it's not an ACL and reading this

Quote:
The Clippers forward went through a full practice Wednesday before reporting discomfort, USA Basketball said.

makes it hard to believe it is.

But we shall see soon enough.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120712/SPORTS09/207120462/1361/Olympic-hoops--Michael-Jordan-defends-Dream-Team--Blake-Griffin-hurts-knee

Mathies to LA 2013
ddubdawg

PostPosted: 07/13/12 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shallow I know, but what the hell was up with the shorts and the blue ass backside? Those look so damn ridiculous. I sure hope the women don't have the similar coloring, but I am guessing they will.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 07/13/12 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ddubdawg wrote:
Shallow I know, but what the hell was up with the shorts and the blue ass backside? Those look so damn ridiculous. I sure hope the women don't have the similar coloring, but I am guessing they will.

Nike being Nike.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 07/13/12 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/13/blake-griffin-off-olympic-team-with-knee-injury211514/?test=olymp

The knee injury isn't serious enough to keep him from starting training camp at full strength. As far as Team USA is concerned, a weak defender is swapped out for a stronger defender with TONS of upside.

Sucks for Blake, but it's wonderful news for Team USA (IMO), the LA Clippers, and Anthony Davis.

Mathies to LA 2013
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/22/12 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The only thing Bryant can't seem to explain to reporters is why he's so much more popular than his teammates on the Olympic basketball team.

"I don't know. I don't know where it comes from or how that happens," he said Saturday with a laugh. "It all started with the Dream Team in terms of basketball becoming so global. When I came into the NBA, I kind of inherited kind of the globalization of the game, and then having grown up overseas they really kind of laid claim to me because this is where I learned how to play the game, is overseas."

Quote:
"Well, he's been doing it for 16 years in the NBA and in those 16 years the accomplishments are incredible. I mean, they're worthy of a top-five player in the history of the game, really," U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "And then he's been so visible, been all over the world. In others words, he's traveled all over in the offseason. Even when we're on this tour, he's a guy that gets out, meets people. I think he has just made a commitment to being out there and as a result, you know, people follow him."

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/basketball/kobe-bryant-global-star-of-u-s-mens-basketball.html

jaye

PostPosted: 07/22/12 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and just maybe it's because he's gotten more media coverage worldwide than anyone else in the game....

PostPosted: 07/22/12 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He's "more popular" than the rest of his Olympic teammates because he's willing to give the media the quotes they crave. In other words, he's okay with saying idiotic things (such as his claim that the 2012 team would defeat the 1992 Dream Team because the Dream Teamers were a bunch of "old guys"--which is so dumb and off-base that it just makes one laugh) and is okay with the backlash that comes with saying those idiotic things. He just wants to be in the headlines at all costs.

Mathies to LA 2013
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/22/12 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

Quote:
The only thing Bryant can't seem to explain to reporters is why he's so much more popular than his teammates on the Olympic basketball team.

"I don't know. I don't know where it comes from or how that happens," he said Saturday with a laugh. "It all started with the Dream Team in terms of basketball becoming so global. When I came into the NBA, I kind of inherited kind of the globalization of the game, and then having grown up overseas they really kind of laid claim to me because this is where I learned how to play the game, is overseas."

Quote:
"Well, he's been doing it for 16 years in the NBA and in those 16 years the accomplishments are incredible. I mean, they're worthy of a top-five player in the history of the game, really," U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "And then he's been so visible, been all over the world. In others words, he's traveled all over in the offseason. Even when we're on this tour, he's a guy that gets out, meets people. I think he has just made a commitment to being out there and as a result, you know, people follow him."

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/basketball/kobe-bryant-global-star-of-u-s-mens-basketball.html

I wonder if Kobe is staying in the Athlete's Villiage... Laughing

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/22/12 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
I wonder if Kobe is staying in the Athlete's Villiage... Laughing

If it's anything like China in '08 (the most popular Olympian in all sports over there) than he better not be.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/22/12 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they had a close game against Argentina today 86-80. They'll have a tougher match on Tuesday vs. Spain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: