RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Storm unlikely to keep Sam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/05 6:14 am    ::: Storm unlikely to keep Sam Reply Reply with quote

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seattlestorm/2002156320_storm21.html

PostPosted: 01/21/05 6:31 am    ::: Re: Storm unlikely to keep Sam Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm interesting. Sac is a frontrunner? Does this mean they'll give up DeMya or Tangela? They were close to maxed out on salary cap. They'll finally get the small forward they need but while Sam has the skills, she doesn't have the mental focus and it's likely she's going to get worse, not better. I think Seattle giving her up is not a bad thing, especially if she gets what she wants (70k plus).

EDIT: Damn typos

Last edited by Keegan on 01/21/05 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 01/21/05 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a veteran squad such as Sac is a good fit for her. She won't have to force the issue as she has been prone to throughout her career. I've never been a fan of her game, but I was impressed by the way she played within the concept of team last season. That credit might go to Donovan, but Sac isn't bad in the coaching department themselves.

boogiezen

PostPosted: 01/21/05 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think it's a good move. we need another small forward. though i hope Alicia thompson will stay...

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 01/21/05 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alicia Thompson has made it clear that she won't play for any other coach but Donovan...so she will likely still be in Seattle.

I saw Sam of the bubble before the end of last season. The next one to go will probably be Adia Barnes, which means there will basically only be Thompson left to cover the three. Donovan is not a fan of rookies, so a free agent or some player that gets waived at the $43,000 mark will have her attention.

Seattle can't afford to not resign Tully. There aren't too many veteran point guards that will sit behind Bird the way Rizzotti had to sit behind Perot in Houston.

The Storm need a backup at the two guard...that is their problem area. And the irony is that Barnes could do that for them...and even play defense, too.

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/21/05 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
The Storm need a backup at the two guard...that is their problem area. And the irony is that Barnes could do that for them...and even play defense, too.

There are quite a few candidates in this year's draft for backup 2 - Erica Smith-Taylor, Jessalyn Deveny, Natasha Brackett, Tanisha Wright, Anne O'Neil or even Belinda Snell Wink I don't think there'll be any problems there unless Anne stuffs up the draft (uh oh...)

Simone Edwards will also be gone. Rookie posts are cheaper bench warmers!
Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/21/05 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few years ago I saw a Monarchs fan @ Sac wearing a Sheri Sam San Jose Lasers jersey. I always thought she'd end up there. I think they'll keep Tangela but have to give up DeMya - she's worth more than they'll have left to pay.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/21/05 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Ashley Battle out of UConn? She'd be cheap, can play some D, and has a much improved shot. Or Caity Matter from Ohio State? If her team goes deep in the tourney, her stock will go up.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 01/21/05 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To reiterate, not to the point of nausea, Anne Donovan is probably not going to go with a rookie to restaff a Championship calibre team. I'm not sure that she would even consider Augustus if she was coming out this year...and that's how strong her opinion is regarding rookies contributing right away.

Of course, the first pick of the first round is not an issue when your team wins the Championship!!!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/21/05 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
How about Ashley Battle out of UConn? She'd be cheap, can play some D, and has a much improved shot. Or Caity Matter from Ohio State? If her team goes deep in the tourney, her stock will go up.

Ashley is really something. When I was @ ASU for the glorious defeat of UConn (sorry!) Ashley was the clearly the leader on the floor (Barbara hobbled a bit at the time)
Ashley almost had a triple double - if you count turnovers!

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/21/05 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah... She played awesome that game, but no one else did. I think sometimes she's even a little too quick for herself.

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/21/05 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Ashley Battle will end up like Adia Barnes - a journeywoman known for her D.

I hope Anne seriously considers Belinda Snell. She's not exactly a typical 'rookie' and paired with Thompson and a defensive stopper, a solid wing rotation could be formed. I just hope Anne doesn't get the idea of playing LJ more at the 3.

The more I think about it, the more expendable Sheri becomes. I still haven't forgiven her for that defensive lapse at the end of Game 2 in the finals. I think the Storm could easily cover for her production.
pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/05 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
The more I think about it, the more expendable Sheri becomes. I still haven't forgiven her for that defensive lapse at the end of Game 2 in the finals. I think the Storm could easily cover for her production.

Sam had a defensive lapse for the last 40 minutes of game 2. Sales was so open she looked like she was doing shooting drills.

PostPosted: 01/21/05 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
There aren't too many veteran point guards that will sit behind Bird the way Rizzotti had to sit behind Perot in Houston.

Rizzotti never sat behind Perrot. Rizzotti was in the ABL while Perrot was playing. Rizzotti sat behind Sonja Henning in 1999 and Janeth Arcain in 2000.

PostPosted: 01/21/05 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sam had a defensive lapse for the last 40 minutes of game 2. Sales was so open she looked like she was doing shooting drills.

lol!

Quote of the Day!!!!

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 01/21/05 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:
There aren't too many veteran point guards that will sit behind Bird the way Rizzotti had to sit behind Perot in Houston.

Rizzotti never sat behind Perrot. Rizzotti was in the ABL while Perrot was playing. Rizzotti sat behind Sonja Henning in 1999 and Janeth Arcain in 2000.

Thanks for the corrected history...but that makes my example even more relevant, I think. Rizzo was certainly as good as Henning at the time and Arcain is not a natural pg. Jen didn't deserve to sit the bench anywhere she played...IMHO.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/21/05 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's very tough when you can't sign an important player for a $5,000 difference. The salary cap in the W is really a joke compared to ANY pro sports. I don't like hard caps. How long till we have a soft cap like the NBA and MLB? And luxury taxes that will be paid only by the NY and LA teams? Wink
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, we've already discussed it, but it is a JOKE that you have to lose an integral part of a championship team for that type of money difference...

PostPosted: 01/21/05 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Thanks for the corrected history...but that makes my example even more relevant, I think. Rizzo was certainly as good as Henning at the time and Arcain is not a natural pg. Jen didn't deserve to sit the bench anywhere she played...IMHO.

I saw Rizzotti play in PG hell. She was extremely tentative and didn't seem to be willing to play at the speed of Swoopes and Coop. In 2000 she was the third option at point, behind Arcain and Co Washington. I suspect it was mostly playing for Van that made her that way. When was elsewhere she looked much, much better.

PostPosted: 01/21/05 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The hard cap is no fun for fans who love their teams, but for the growth of the league, it's important to prevent a team with good financial backing from taking over.

Barnes's d is solid. Unfortunately, she never was able to regain the imporvements in her shooting game she'd made just before her ACL/MCL injury. As soon as her shooting got a little shaky, she stopped putting it up at all. Last year, teams would just not cover her at all when she had the ball, because they knew she wasn't going to ever take a shot. 2s who can't shoot aren't a hot commodity, but her leadership skills and work ethic could help a young team.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 01/21/05 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
It's very tough when you can't sign an important player for a $5,000 difference. The salary cap in the W is really a joke compared to ANY pro sports. I don't like hard caps. How long till we have a soft cap like the NBA and MLB? And luxury taxes that will be paid only by the NY and LA teams? Wink
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, we've already discussed it, but it is a JOKE that you have to lose an integral part of a championship team for that type of money difference...

My main beef with the cap is how low it is. As with the case with the Storm, after LJ, Sue and Betty, there really isn't enough money to pay anybody else--to get FA or to keep the ones you have. The only way to fill their talent holes are with draft picks, which will only be low ones, so good luck. A 2005 roster with the Big 3 surrounded by 'Merry Minimums' isn't going to be as dangerous/versatile and not as fun to watch. And who knows what Sacramento is going to look like with their cap restraints... And I'm still trying to figure out how LA gets away with having so many All-Stars and ex-Lib players on their team. Exclamation

There's a high level of talent floating around, compared to just a few years ago. Now players like Semeka Randall and Rita Williams are opting for desk jobs because no team can afford to pay them decently even though they could contribute decently.

It's a shame about Sam, but in the end I think they should just pay her the money. Seattle will be drafting low for many years, there aren't any good SFs with assist potential realistically available out there, and I think Alicia Thompson is fools gold.

Of course, Chelle is a role player willing to play on the cheap, Sam is 30, and the fans haven't really been behind her in her slump, so I wouldn't be suprised if they let her walk. Of course, Donovan might be criticized for making the big trade considering how well Nicole Ohlde is doing... Confused

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 01/21/05 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral wrote:

"My main beef with the cap is how low it is. As with the case with the Storm, after LJ, Sue and Betty, there really isn't enough money to pay anybody else--to get FA or to keep the ones you have. The only way to fill their talent holes are with draft picks, which will only be low ones, so good luck."

One way to look at it is that each of the teams has to deal with the same demon on that point. That's why there may not be another "dynasty" the way there was in Houston...a team just can't pay for that much talent anymore.

The CBA has completely pushed the 5+ year players who have not become stars or superstars out of the system. They do have some game left, but as already stated, there is just no money left in the box for them.

mb

PostPosted: 01/21/05 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The hard caps are good...sports with no caps have bleak futures.

Institute a luxury tax if you must, yet don't let salaries spin out of control.

The WNBA's CBA isn't perfect, yet the teams and players all live by the same rules. There are protections for rookies and vets.

It will be a few years before everything falls into place.

Hypothetical:

If a NBA player making 10+ million dollars a year were to say: "Here's $2 million of my salary for my local WNBA team to use..." would it generate positive or negative publicity?

Hockey is in a sad state, when poker and billiards reruns outdraw the NHL games televisised last year.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 01/21/05 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Admiral wrote:

"My main beef with the cap is how low it is. As with the case with the Storm, after LJ, Sue and Betty, there really isn't enough money to pay anybody else--to get FA or to keep the ones you have. The only way to fill their talent holes are with draft picks, which will only be low ones, so good luck."

One way to look at it is that each of the teams has to deal with the same demon on that point. That's why there may not be another "dynasty" the way there was in Houston...a team just can't pay for that much talent anymore.

The CBA has completely pushed the 5+ year players who have not become stars or superstars out of the system. They do have some game left, but as already stated, there is just no money left in the box for them.

Well back when Houston was winning titles, many teams were only 1-deep, 2-deep star-wise. So for Houston to be 5-deep, it was pretty ridiculous Razz Back then, I probably would have advocated a CBA that better dispersed the available talent.

However, because of the good drafts and contraction, today many clubs already go 4-deep which has resulted in better and more exciting teams (MIN, PHO, SAC, SEA, DET etc). But if teams can't pay more than 3 stars, there's only so much a team can get better.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/21/05 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MB,
I've often thought that a NBA player should be able to "sponsor" the local W team if he chose to.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 01/21/05 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
MB,
I've often thought that a NBA player should be able to "sponsor" the local W team if he chose to.

Howard Schultz would 'sponsor' the Storm more if he could, but he can't even fly the team on a private jet to away games because that would be unfair to teams who can't afford that advantage. I think that just making the cap larger would address most of my concerns. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: