RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Name Your....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sipfinest

PostPosted: 09/25/12 10:16 pm    ::: Name Your.... Reply Reply with quote

.... All Time Starting Five For Your Favorite School

Mine is Tennessee

G Lawson
G Randall
C Parker
F Catchings
F Holdsclaw

PostPosted: 09/25/12 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn

PG:Bird
SG:Taurasi
SF:Moore
PF:Lobo
C:Charles
Dennis1361

PostPosted: 09/26/12 2:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not possible but can pick favorites over the years 22 to be exact.
For example how does one pick between Azzi, Goodenbauer and Sonja Hennings? Or choose between Appel, Whiting and Folkl? Or players such as Pohlen, Pederson, Wiggins and Powell. Where does Jaime Carey fit? And Starbird? And for sure there will never be another Vanessa Nygard, not ever. And I have yet to mention the Ogwumike sisters and what about Rachel Hemmer's frshman year where she carried us to the promised land.
A lo of good players who have brought great pleasure to thefans as well as all the other playerswho were and are essential to the team

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 09/26/12 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford:

PG: Jennifer Azzi
SG: Candice Wiggins
SF: Kayla Pedersen
PF: Nneka Ogwumike
C: Brooke Smith

sipfinest

PostPosted: 09/26/12 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Stanford:

PG: Jennifer Azzi
SG: Candice Wiggins
SF: Kayla Pedersen
PF: Nneka Ogwumike
C: Brooke Smith

wow... Pedersen over Powell, Starbird, and Nygaard? Smith over Appel, Whiting-Raymond, Scott-Richardson, and Mulitauaopele?

PostPosted: 09/26/12 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford...
G Azzi
G Wiggins
C Appel
F Powell
F Ogwumike

Connecticut
G Bird
G Taurasi
C Charles
F Sales
F Moore

PostPosted: 09/26/12 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

North Dakota State had a successful run at the DII level in the 90s winning 5 national titles in 6 years. The transition to Division 1 has not been successful and it also muddies the answer to the question of best all time. Are the current Division One players better than the Division II players of the past but less successful because of the level of adversary? How would past DII teams fair against DI competition?

Here's my fave Bison Team :

Jody Buck (Division II): 2nd in assists and 1st in steals and lead Bison to 1st National Title.
Pat Smykowski (Division II): 1st in assists and 2nd in steals, number 2 all time leading scorer and 4th in 3 pt. fg %.
Darci Steere (Division II): 5th in scoring and 6th in rebounding and on the 1993 and 1994 national title games.
Kasey Morlock (Division II): Bison scoring leader and # 4 rebounder. '94, '95, '96 and national title teams. 3 time DII first team AA.
Katie Lorenz (transition period): Top 10 scorer Top 5 in steals and assists;

Last edited by NoDakSt on 09/26/12 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
sipfinest

PostPosted: 09/26/12 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
North Dakota State had a successful run at the DII level in the 90s winning 5 national titles in 6 years. The transition to Division 1 has not been successful and it also muddies the answer to the question of best all time. Are the current Division One players better than the Division II players of the past but less successful because of the level of adversary? How would past DII teams fair against DI competition?

Here's my fave Bison Team :

Jody Buck (Division II): 2nd in assists and 1st in steals and lead Bison to 1st National Title.
Pat Smykowski (Division II): 1st in assists and 2nd in steals, number 2 all time leading scorer and 4th in 3 pt. fg %.
Darci Steere (Division II): 5th in scoring and 6th in rebounding and on the 1993 and 1994 national title games.
Kasey Morlock (Division II): Bison scoring leader and # 4 rebounder. '94, '95, '96 and national title teams.
Katie Lorenz (transition period): Top 10 scorer Top 5 in steals and assists;

Good stuff

PostPosted: 09/26/12 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue is really hard, because basically all of the best players have been wings.

Something like:

PG: Ukari Figgs
SG: Steph White
SF: Katie Douglas
PF: Stacey Lovelace
C: Leslie Johnson

Leaving Shereka Wright and MaChelle Joseph off seems all kinds of wrong.

sipfinest

PostPosted: 09/26/12 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Purdue is really hard, because basically all of the best players have been wings.

Something like:

Collegiately, I think I would have to go with Wisdom-Hylton at the 4 and Lovelace at the 5

PostPosted: 09/26/12 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Something like:

Collegiately, I think I would have to go with Wisdom-Hylton at the 4 and Lovelace at the 5

Couldn't go wrong with LWH, but Johnson was just a beast during her time at Purdue. I did mean to put her at PF and Lovelace at C though.

sipfinest

PostPosted: 09/26/12 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Something like:

Couldn't go wrong with LWH, but Johnson was just a beast during her time at Purdue. I did mean to put her at PF and Lovelace at C though.

Another wing that you discussed and one of the most productive players in Purdue history would be Katie Gearlds

PostPosted: 09/26/12 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Something like:

Another wing that you discussed and one of the most productive players in Purdue history would be Katie Gearlds

Gearlds had a good career for sure, but watching her and White, Douglas, Wright, and Joseph, she really isn't in the same category. But certainly a really good player at Purdue.

sipfinest

PostPosted: 09/26/12 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Something like:

Gearlds had a good career for sure, but watching her and White, Douglas, Wright, and Joseph, she really isn't in the same category. But certainly a really good player at Purdue.

Joseph was a point guard wasnt she?

PG: Figgs / Joseph
SG: White / Gearlds
SF: Douglas / Wright
PF: Wisdom-Hylton / Johnson
C: Lovelace / Cooper

What you think?

PostPosted: 09/26/12 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Something like:

What you think?

Maybe she was and I am remembering wrong. I didn't get to see her play very much and was awfully young when I did. As a volume scorer I wouldn't want her as the point guard on my all-time team if I was actually putting it on the floor.

I would probably list Joy Holmes before Gearlds (I always felt like Gearlds contributed less than the sum of her stats while great players contribute more, but that might just be me), but you can't go wrong with either choice. Looking at that list of players makes me really sad about where this program has gone in recent years.

sipfinest

PostPosted: 09/26/12 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
sipfinest wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Something like:

What you think?

Maybe she was and I am remembering wrong. I didn't get to see her play very much and was awfully young when I did. As a volume scorer I wouldn't want her as the point guard on my all-time team if I was actually putting it on the floor.

I would probably list Joy Holmes before Gearlds (I always felt like Gearlds contributed less than the sum of her stats while great players contribute more, but that might just be me), but you can't go wrong with either choice. Looking at that list of players makes me really sad about where this program has gone in recent years.

Holmes Harris was a 4 wasnt she?

PostPosted: 09/26/12 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU.

No brainers are Fowles and Augustus. It gets murky after that.

For point guard, Erica White was a fixture for several years during their recent Final Four stint. And Pokey and Katrina Hibbert hearkened back to another era.

Wing players have been in abundance for LSU, including recent contributors Allison Hightower, Marie Ferdinand, Scholonda Hoston/Dorrell/Robinson, and a throwback Cornelia Gayden.

Forwards have included Julie Gross who was a key contributor in the pre-NCAA days, and more recently, LaSondra barrett.

My picks:

pg: Temeka Johnson; (honorable mention, back-up,or whatever: Pokey Chapman)
w: Joyce Walker - early 80s and programs all-time leading scorer; ( Cornelia Gayden)
w: Augustus; (Marie Ferdinand)
F: Detrina White - undersized, oft-injured, high leaping, rebounding machine; (Julie Gross)
C: Fowles; (Marie Jackson -mother of the world's greatest player Smile )

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/26/12 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke:

PG: Lindsey Harding
PG/SG/SF: Georgia Schweitzer
SG/Wing: Alana Beard
SF: Monique Currie
C: Alison Bales

I did not see Chris Moreland play, so I left her off of the team, but she was the best low-post player in Duke history.

sipfinest

PostPosted: 09/26/12 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
LSU.

No brainers are Fowles and Augustus. It gets murky after that.

For point guard, Erica White was a fixture for several years during their recent Final Four stint. And Pokey and Katrina Hibbert hearkened back to another era.

Wing players have been in abundance for LSU, including recent contributors Allison Hightower, Marie Ferdinand, Scholonda Hoston/Dorrell/Robinson, and a throwback Cornelia Gayden.

Forwards have included Julie Gross who was a key contributor in the pre-NCAA days, and more recently, LaSondra barrett.

My picks:

pg: Temeka Johnson; (honorable mention, back-up,or whatever: Pokey Chapman)
w: Joyce Walker - early 80s and programs all-time leading scorer; ( Cornelia Gayden)
w: Augustus; (Marie Ferdinand)
F: Detrina White - undersized, oft-injured, high leaping, rebounding machine; (Julie Gross)
C: Fowles; (Marie Jackson -mother of the world's greatest player Smile )

Good stuff...

PostPosted: 09/26/12 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Duke:

PG/SG/SF: Georgia Schweitzer
SG/Wing: Alana Beard
SF: Monique Currie
C: Alison Bales

I did not see Chris Moreland play, so I left her off of the team, but she was the best low-post player in Duke history.

SG: Alana Beard
SF: Georgia Schweitzer
PF: Iciss Tillis
C: Michele Van Gorp

PostPosted: 09/26/12 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia

PG: Teresa Edwards
SG: Kelly Miller (I moved her to off guard because of Edwards)
W: Deanna Nolan
PF: Katrina McClain
C: Janet Harris

I had a tough time trying to fill this list out. It was hard to omit Roundtree, but I chose to leave her out because she only played two years at Georgia. I debated putting her as my wing, but chose not to have three point guards in the line-up. My honorable mentions would be:

Saudia Roundtree
La'Keshia Frett
Tasha Humphrey
Lisa O'Conner
Wanda Halloway

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 09/26/12 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland

G-Kristi Toliver
G-Deanna Tate
F-Marissa Coleman
F-Crystal Langhorne
C-Vicky Bullet

Bullet is more of a forward, but there is no way she or Lang will be left off any list of the greatest Terp players. In a few years Alyssa Thomas will replace Coleman.

Uconn
G-Sue Bird
G-Diana Taurasi
F-Maya Moore
F-Swin Cash
C-Tina Charles

Cash over Lobo? Absolutely. Leading scorer and rebounder for the best team in history, best defender on her team and seriously underrated in 2002 despite being named a Kodak All American.

Stanford
G-Jennifer Azzi
G-Candice Wiggins
F-Nicole Powell
F-Nneka Ogwumike
C-Val Whiting

HM to Sonja Henning and Jayne Appel

Duke
G-Lindsey Harding
G-Alana Beard
F-Monique Currie
F-Georgia Schweitzer
C-Alison Bales

Virginia
G-Dawn Staley
G-Tammi Reiss
F-Monica Wright
F-Wendy Palmer
C-Heather Burge

North Carolina
G-Marion Jones
G-Ivory Latta
F-Tracy Reid
F-Camille Little
C-Erlana Larkins

A bit udersized, but Little and Larkins were the heart and soul of the team
during their heyday.

Tennessee
G-Dena Evans
G-Kellie Jolly
F-Tamika Catchings
F-Chamique Holdsclaw
C-Candace Parker

Yeah I know Parker is more of a forward, but one of the best college players ever will not be left off this list.

Notre Dame
G-Skylar Diggins
G-Beth Morgan
F-Katryna Gaither
F-Deveraux Peters
C-Ruth Riley

Jacqueline Batteast was a Big East POY and All-American, but Peters' defense and willingness to do the dirty work puts her over the top here.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/26/12 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA

Erica Gomez
Ann Meyers
Denise Curry
Jackie Joyner-Kersee
Natalie Williams

This was tough, leaving off players like Maylana Martin, Janae Hubbard, Anita Ortega, Nikki Blue, Lisa Willis and Noelle Quinn, but I think Erica Gomez and Ann Meyers could be the best backcourt players in UCLA history, Denise Curry is the all time leading scorer in program history, and Jackie Joyner-Kersee and Natalie Williams can score and clean up the glass inside. Perhaps Markel Walker and Jasmine Dixon could move up, depending on how this season plays out, though I haven't seen every player in UCLA history, but from what I've seen, been watching since 1999, Markel is probably the most versatile player I've seen, though Noelle Quinn might be up there as well.

sipfinest

PostPosted: 09/26/12 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So would USC be considered like this....

G - Cooper
G - Miller
C - Leslie
F - Thompson
F - Pam McGee

PostPosted: 09/26/12 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida
G - Amanda Butler
G - Merlakia Jones
C - Tammy Jackson
F - Delisha Milton-Jones
F - Murriel Page