RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2012-13 Virginia Cavaliers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridor

PostPosted: 10/07/12 4:17 pm    ::: 2012-13 Virginia Cavaliers Reply Reply with quote

This year is the 2nd season of Coach Joanne Boyle.

Before the injuries bit, Virginia lost Ari Moorer & Chelsea Shine to graduation. The former starters took 22 points per game with them.

Virginia also announced recently that the third leading scorer at 9.5, Lexie Gerson will be out of season due to the hip injury. As expected, Erinn Thompson, a player who sparsely played due to the chronic pains in her legs, will discontinue her playing career at UVA.

It left a mix of veterans & newcomers to team up for this season. So this season is largely unpredictable. They retain Ataira Franklin, Simone Egwu, Jazmin Pitts, Telia McCall and Kelsey Wolfe. I just saw the photos of Virginia WBB practices and noticed that Kelsey Wolfe has gotten bigger & stronger. She was a thin but now I see that she's little bit muscular than before.

In addition to the team roster, China Crosby will return after the ACL injury in as many years.

Faith Randolph, Raeshaun Gaffney, Jaryn Garner will join the transfer Sarah Beth Barnette and Sarah Imovbioh as first-year player at UVA. I predict that Sarah Imovbioh will be a huge impact for the team in the long run.

The schedule is brutal.

I predict that the team will finish the season at 23-6; 11-5.

What says you?

Cheers,

R-

BoPeep

PostPosted: 10/07/12 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having watched Coach Boyle's teams quite a bit at Cal, I'm interested to see how she does at another school. Most of her success at Cal was with a recruiting class she inherited (as freshmen, though). It seemed to me like she had trouble holding onto players; she recruited well, but several of the best recruits ended up not playing there, and there were a lot of transfers. Some of these (Tierra Rogers, eg.) were clearly not her fault, and I don't know that any were, but there were an unusual number. I also felt that her teams generally were not very cohesive offensively. These are only impressions, of course, and no telling if they'll translate to another situation; I wish her and the team well.

ball4life

PostPosted: 10/08/12 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This team and it's future is strangely put together as is the staffing. Seems more of a collection of players more so than a team with a purpose. I, like you am hopeful Wolfe can contribute I think if she can be disruptive defensively that she will be an asset. Egwu needs to be a force and Franklin will give 100% of what she has. The strange thing is that they have had high ranked and high level recruits lining up to come their but didn't show interest, it is also a first that I've seen of a married staff, curious to see how effective that will be. Do you know of any other coaching staff marriages how is or did it work out?

ridor

PostPosted: 10/08/12 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know of one - Kellie Harper married Jon Harper - both worked at Auburn and at West Carolina. But at NC State, Jon had to serve as a volunteer coach because NC State does not allow nepotism.

I dont know if it works. But we shall see. From what I see, the O'Neills are quite popular with the players.

R-

ball4life

PostPosted: 10/08/12 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually McNeill not Oneill confused me. Was Harpers husband on the same staff? I know JMU has a recent staff marriage but they are different sports.

ridor

PostPosted: 10/08/12 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McNeills, not ONeills! What was I thinking?!

Yes, Jon Harper served on the same staff with his wife. Even Wikipedia mentioned that as well.

R-

BoPeep

PostPosted: 10/08/12 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

June Daugherty and her husband at WSU. The team is a work in progress, and may always be, but last I heard they were still married, at any rate. I'm sure there are at least one or two in volleyball, can't remember who offhand.

Phil

PostPosted: 10/09/12 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Head Coach Jennifer Rizzotti is married to assistant coach Bill Sullivan

letsski

PostPosted: 10/09/12 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UC Davis head coach Jen Gross is married to assistant coach Joe Teramoto and they have a young son together. It has worked out very well at Davis.

ball4life

PostPosted: 10/09/12 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know if it matters but do we have another example of 2 assistant coaches married?

IM in OC

PostPosted: 10/09/12 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
Don't know if it matters but do we have another example of 2 assistant coaches married?

Jody and Derek Wynn were assts at USC under Mark Trakh.
Jody is the head coach at Long Beach State and Derek is her asst coach.

PS--If Jody is spelled Jodi, dont shoot me Very Happy

Question for the original poster, Ridor

If UV has lost a lot of scoring and you said the schedule is brutal, isnt it a bit optomistic to predict them going 12-1 in OOC play? Also, they only play Duke once in ACC play. Just curious, what is so brutal about the UV schedule or was that sarcasm that I couldnt pick up thru the lines?

ridor

PostPosted: 10/09/12 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad you asked that question, IM in OC. Unlike during the Ryan Era, I can see the confidence in these players under Coach Boyle. The players bought & believed in their coaches that they can do so much more. Even with some losses from last season, you could read UVA players' body language, they are not going to ignore this, that and there. They will learn and rectify eventually. That's what I liked the most about this team. I'm not optimistic at all but with Coach Boyle, I do feel optimistic about her team.

R-

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/09/12 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really like Franklin and if Crosby is healthy she should help. Egwu is a big question mark. 12-1 OOC would be pretty shocking unless they are only playing 150- teams.

ball4life

PostPosted: 10/10/12 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well then it's obvious that it can work. Just had concerns seeing the two together so much over the summer and thinking that they would be more effective at different locations instead of at the same tourney. Of course it saves money paying for one rental car, one hotel room and even one house if that's the focus. UVA must be a really good school because they had a couple of USA BB team members that had them as a first or second choice that they wouldn't even Perdue but went after lower level players at the same positions. I assume it's about fit. Also if you would call one and get no answer you are sure not to get an answer from the other. That being future recruiting, moving to the upcoming season, signature win last year was Tennessee at home, think they beat Maryland also or played them tough. Had loss to JMU in the WNIT to end the season, JMU next beat Syracuse then lost title game at Oklahoma St. They open up against JMU Nov 11th I think, that game will be the marker for the entire season I think. A big win against JMU means major strides from last season a loss will put them on par with last year. Note that JMU always play UVA tough. Brought up recruiting because most of these kids are Ryan's. Faith Randolph can flat out shoot the rock how much freedom will she have to do so?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: