RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Assistant Coach Movement (2012-13)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/15/12 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Noticed on Twitter that former St. John's grad assistant Eric Thibault is now at VCU. Good pickup for them. He's learned fast. (I'll miss seeing Coach T at St. John's games, though.)

PostPosted: 08/18/12 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if they ever heard of an assistant coaching from home? Meaning he is in one state and his team is in another?

Yes, I am talking about Maine's Todd Steelman. He is living in Muncie, yet is recruiting and supposedly coaching from there as well.

PostPosted: 08/18/12 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if they ever heard of an assistant coaching from home? Meaning he is in one state and his team is in another?

Yes, I am talking about Maine's Todd Steelman. He is living in Muncie, yet is recruiting and supposedly coaching from there as well.

Maybe he just hasn't moved to Maine yet? Since coaches spend most of July on the road, it doesn't make sense to pay rent on a place in Maine, if he isn't going to be there for most of the month. Or maybe his place in Maine won't be ready until Sept. 1st?

BallState1984

PostPosted: 08/19/12 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, he is telling people he is coaching from home and he has no intention of moving his family.

PostPosted: 08/28/12 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio University announced today that it will in fact have assistant coaches for the upcoming season. Patricia Charity, Elaine Powell and Jeffrey Marshall have been hired as assistants. Powell is probably the best known of the three, having played for the Detroit Shock's 2003, 2006 and 2008 championship teams. Last year's assistant coaches all left the program for unstated reasons.

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/082812aaw.html

PostPosted: 09/07/12 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Word is that Martin Clapp has resigned at Purdue. He had taken a leave of absence for health reasons either last year or the year before, so his resignation could be related.

lola528

PostPosted: 09/07/12 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Word is that Martin Clapp has resigned at Purdue. He had taken a leave of absence for health reasons either last year or the year before, so his resignation could be related.

Maybe "health related" is the correct term---or not---in any event, I hope SV has a short list of replacements (GOOD ONES, please!) who would be willing to jump in right away with both feet...

BallState1984

PostPosted: 09/07/12 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am thinking Matty is right with the health angle for Martin Clapp. Sara White is still the SID for WBB and if he left for another job or was fired, I would doubt she would still be at Purdue.

PostPosted: 09/08/12 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty sure the DUI arrest the day before was the reason...

http://www.jconline.com/article/20120907/SPORTS02010202/309070028/Clapp-resigns-Purdue-women-s-basketball-assistant-coach

Really awful timing for this team...wow.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/08/12 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Pretty sure the DUI arrest the day before was the reason...

http://www.jconline.com/article/20120907/SPORTS02010202/309070028/Clapp-resigns-Purdue-women-s-basketball-assistant-coach

Really awful timing for this team...wow.

Damn. Wasn't expecting that to be the reason.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 09/09/12 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think things are starting to fall into place and make sense. I am wondering if Clapp's LOA was alcohol related.

PostPosted: 09/26/12 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.jconline.com/article/20120926/SPORTS02010202/309260021/Wisdom-Hylton-joins-Versyp-s-coaching-staff

Quote:
Wisdom-Hylton is expected start Oct. 1, the first day of official practice

PostPosted: 09/26/12 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.jconline.com/article/20120926/SPORTS02010202/309260021/Wisdom-Hylton-joins-Versyp-s-coaching-staff

Quote:

The article does not indicate that this is just for the coming season, which makes it seem like she is a permanent staff member.

Sure would be nice for Versyp to recognize the deficiencies in her staff and try to hire someone who could fill them. But apparently not.

lola528

PostPosted: 09/27/12 11:39 am    ::: :: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

The article does not indicate that this is just for the coming season, which makes it seem like she is a permanent staff member.

Sure would be nice for Versyp to recognize the deficiencies in her staff and try to hire someone who could fill them. But apparently not.

Wondering why you think that LWH will not be up to the job? She has some experience (from when Clapp had his LOA); she has played at a high level in HS and at Purdue (Elite Eight), has played in the WNBA and overseas, is young and can relate to the recruits and is very enthusiastic about Purdue, the job, and the current staff. She also has contacts in the Chicago area, as well as on the West Coast. She is intelligent and has a super personality. What about her do you not like for this position? Who did you think SV was going to find who would be willing to jump ship a few short weeks before the start of the season--who would "fill the deficiences in her staff"? Just wondering.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/27/12 4:22 pm    ::: Re: :: Reply Reply with quote

lola528 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Wondering why you think that LWH will not be up to the job? She has some experience (from when Clapp had his LOA); she has played at a high level in HS and at Purdue (Elite Eight), has played in the WNBA and overseas, is young and can relate to the recruits and is very enthusiastic about Purdue, the job, and the current staff. She also has contacts in the Chicago area, as well as on the West Coast. She is intelligent and has a super personality. What about her do you not like for this position? Who did you think SV was going to find who would be willing to jump ship a few short weeks before the start of the season--who would "fill the deficiences in her staff"? Just wondering.

If this is an interim hire for the coming season, I think it is fine. I expected Versyp to either hire LWH or Carol Duncan if that was the approach.

If this is the permanent hire, I think it is really disappointing. She has virutally no experience and is not proven in the area that needs the most help on this team - recruiting. I know you like to rah-rah and think everything is going great with this program, but there are major deficiencies at Purdue and the chances that she is the best candidate to fill them seem awfully low to me.

But I like very little Versyp does and has done with this program, so maybe I am just being negative.

lola528

PostPosted: 09/27/12 6:59 pm    ::: Re: :: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
lola528 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

If this is an interim hire for the coming season, I think it is fine. I expected Versyp to either hire LWH or Carol Duncan if that was the approach.

If this is the permanent hire, I think it is really disappointing. She has virutally no experience and is not proven in the area that needs the most help on this team - recruiting. I know you like to rah-rah and think everything is going great with this program, but there are major deficiencies at Purdue and the chances that she is the best candidate to fill them seem awfully low to me.

But I like very little Versyp does and has done with this program, so maybe I am just being negative.

Even PHS was unproven when she started her coaching career. I think Lindsay could turn out to be an excellent recruiter. Obviously SV thinks so or she would not have hired her. Lindsay is retiring from playing and will be devoting all her time to this position, and takes it seriously and I feel certain she will go the extra mile to make it work. But as you say, I like to rah-rah and you like to gripe, so I guess we'll have to wait and see how it works out.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/27/12 10:20 pm    ::: Re: :: Reply Reply with quote

lola528 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
lola528 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Even PHS was unproven when she started her coaching career. I think Lindsay could turn out to be an excellent recruiter. Obviously SV thinks so or she would not have hired her. Lindsay is retiring from playing and will be devoting all her time to this position, and takes it seriously and I feel certain she will go the extra mile to make it work. But as you say, I like to rah-rah and you like to gripe, so I guess we'll have to wait and see how it works out.

If she turns out to be the next Pat Summitt like you suggest, I will certainly admit to being wrong .... What a ridiculous comparison to make. I guess they should have hired me too, since I had also am unproven just like Pat was Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I admit I hadn't seen that she was leaving the WNBA. That is a little bit of an improvement.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 10/02/12 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heard from a usually-reliable source that Georgia Tech's Asst Coach Janie Mitchell just quit.

Didn't hear anything about future plans.

lola528

PostPosted: 10/02/12 2:34 pm    ::: Re: :: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
lola528 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
lola528 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

If she turns out to be the next Pat Summitt like you suggest, I will certainly admit to being wrong .... What a ridiculous comparison to make. I guess they should have hired me too, since I had also am unproven just like Pat was Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I admit I hadn't seen that she was leaving the WNBA. That is a little bit of an improvement.

I did *not* suggest "she is the next Pat Summitt." I merely said that EVEN Pat Summitt was unproven when she started. Every coach is unproven when they start, and that is not a ridiculous statement. There was NO "comparison." It is unfair to claim that she was a poor hire because she is just starting. She could well turn out to be another PHS....or not...but we don't know that yet, do we? Well, apparently you think you do. I'm willing to give her a chance and see how she does. Since I am a fan, and she is the new hire, that's about all I can do at this point. You would be well advised to do the same instead of gritching.

allenleavell

PostPosted: 10/08/12 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Heard from a usually-reliable source that Georgia Tech's Asst Coach Janie Mitchell just quit.

Didn't hear anything about future plans.

Jaye Nayreau is not at Central Arkansas anymore.The head coach is in over her head.Sandra Rushing former head coach from Delta State.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: