RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Purdue announces schedule :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/31/05 8:27 pm    ::: Purdue announces schedule :( Reply Reply with quote

And the OOC portion is ridiculous! Only Texas, DePaul and Notre Dame are potential ranked teams, and the game against Texas isn't guaranteed. Home games are Arkansas State, Butler Notre Dame and IPFW. I may not be getting season tickets this year after all.

This had better not be the start of a trend ...

Nov. 18 BUTLER 7 p.m.
Nov. 25 vs. George Washington~ 1 p.m.
Nov. 26 vs. South Carolina/Texas~ 1/3:30 p.m.
Nov. 29 ARKANSAS STATE 7 p.m.
Dec. 1 at Western Michigan 7 p.m.
Dec. 3 at DePaul 7 p.m.
Dec. 7 NOTRE DAME 7 p.m.
Dec. 11 vs. Valparaiso^ 2 p.m.
Dec. 19 vs. Centenary* 4:30 p.m.
Dec. 20 at Mississippi State/vs. Morehead State* 4:30/7 p.m.
Dec. 29 WISCONSIN 7 p.m.
Jan. 1 OHIO STATE (Comcast) 1 p.m.
Jan. 5 at Indiana 7 p.m.
Jan. 8 at Michigan 2 p.m.
Jan. 12 at Minnesota (Comcast) 7 p.m.
Jan. 19 PENN STATE 7 p.m.
Jan. 22 at Illinois 2 p.m.
Jan. 26 MICHIGAN STATE (Comcast) 8 p.m.
Jan. 29 NORTHWESTERN 2 p.m.
Feb. 2 at Iowa 7 p.m.
Feb. 5 at Penn State 2 p.m.
Feb. 9 IPFW 7 p.m.
Feb. 12 MINNESOTA (ESPN2) 3 p.m.
Feb. 16 MICHIGAN 7 p.m.
Feb. 19 INDIANA (Comcast) 1 p.m.
Feb. 23 at Ohio State 7 p.m.
Feb. 26 at Wisconsin 2 p.m.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 08/31/05 9:11 pm    ::: Re: Purdue announces schedule :( Reply Reply with quote

Centenary? Valparaiso? Butler? Not trying to diss Purdue's schedule, but those are weak teams.

The Arkansas State game is interesting. I think that program might be on the rise. Didn't Arkansas State upset Arkansas last year?

I'm sorry PUMatty Crying or Very sad .

Keegan

PostPosted: 08/31/05 9:30 pm    ::: Re: Purdue announces schedule :( Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Centenary? Valparaiso? Butler? Not trying to diss Purdue's schedule, but those are weak teams.

Some big teams have established series against smaller schools for geographic or traditional reasons. You will find Pacific and San Francisco on Stanford's schedule every season (though SF seems to be missing this upcoming season).

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/31/05 9:50 pm    ::: Re: Purdue announces schedule :( Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:

Diss away. The fans are ....

Keegan wrote:
Some big teams have established series against smaller schools for geographic or traditional reasons. You will find Pacific and San Francisco on Stanford's schedule every season (though SF seems to be missing this upcoming season).

Valpo, Butler and IPFW aren't established series, but Purdue does try to play teams in the state. We have played Valpo fairly regularly and have also gone to Indiana State in recent years. I don't mind playing them, although the three in one year is a bit much. Word is Curry is trying to help them position themselves for NCAA bids, which would only help Purdue. I am not sure how playing them helps there cases, but I don't mind it. A lot of Purdue fans will travel to Butler and they will make more money off that game that a bunch of others put together.

The lack of more decent teams is the real problem. We have always had a good mix of top teams, good teams, and a couple of cupcakes. The mix is not good this year.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/31/05 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke and Purdue had back-to-back neutral court matchups (in Raleigh and Indy, so not-so-neutral courts). I was hoping the teams would continue the series...maybe start a home-and-home set.

Matty, our OOC isn't great either. We have Texas on the road, Tennessee at home. We have Auburn at home. We have Penn State on the road, as the return trip of a home-and-home. We have Old Dominion on the road. And we also have Arkansas State at home. Not that great, though the Texas and Tennesse games should be good.

With the ACC only playing 14 games, Duke is the only team to have UNC and Maryland twice. That should help in terms of playing top-25 opponents.

Keegan

PostPosted: 08/31/05 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish the Pac-10 would reduce conference games from 18 to 14. Washington State, Cal and Oregon State twice a season is just too much (though the latter two may improve with their new coaches and talent influx in Cal's case). We could then improve our non-conference schedule.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/31/05 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
I wish the Pac-10 would reduce conference games from 18 to 14. Washington State, Cal and Oregon State twice a season is too much (though the latter two may improve with their new coaches and talent influx in Cal's case). We could then improve our non-conference schedule.

I wish Keegan would stop rooting for Stanford, when Duke has the best AIS player (pre-Richards) to ever come to the States for uni.

Keegan

PostPosted: 08/31/05 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

West Coast bias? Laughing

I like Cal a lot too (and that was before Boyle and the possibility of Gemelos and Darrett)

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 09/01/05 4:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's making me cranky these days, is the AIS are pretty much approaching young players with the line 'If you want to keep in BA's good books, you'll come to the AIS and not go to Uni in the states.' I know there are certain programs in the US that would only hinder our girls' developement, however there are certain programs that would help our national team become solid across the board - and for many years to come. I'll speak from what I have as experience - a young player I've been working with for the last year or so (a lot of the Aussies will know who I'm refering to, and I hope you'll understand my desire to keep her unnamed right now) still has a year and a half left of highschool, she has a VERY promising career and she's already established herself as a decent player in the ABA ranks (there is another player I can think of right now from one of the Brisbane clubs who fits into this rant also). So many people have been telling this certain player to 'Stay in Australia. There's no point in you going to the US, you'll only get lost in the system.'

What I dont get, is why Basketball Aus is trying so hard to restrict the advancement of our players. Do they WANT us to win or not?

I know that headed a little bit off topic, but I felt the need to rant.

PostPosted: 09/01/05 4:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well you could go to the AIS *and* then go to college (see Jessica Foley, Eleanor Haring, Gabrielle Richards, Hanna Zavecz).

I think I know the player you're talking about AAEmotion and I'd certainly advise her to seriously consider college (especially considering past rants about certain aspects of basketball here).

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 09/01/05 5:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gee, Keegs, those rants wouldn't have anything to do with post coaching in Australia would they? Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: 09/01/05 5:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAEmotion wrote:
Gee, Keegs, those rants wouldn't have anything to do with post coaching in Australia would they? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Maybe Wink

Or just general ranting about Jan Stirling but your charge won't have to worry about that... (at least I hope not!)

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 09/01/05 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh dear god, I hope she doesnt have to worry about that! Haha Laughing

PostPosted: 09/01/05 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think for a year where Purdue could go deep in the NCAA Tourney, they would beef up their competition to a level that could make them a 2 seed or a 1 seed over a 3 or 4. Oh well, Purdue is dangerous this year. They are one of the Big Ten's best, if not the best from that conference. And this year, they'll be experienced. Go Boilers!

pilight

PostPosted: 09/01/05 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
I would think for a year where Purdue could go deep in the NCAA Tourney, they would beef up their competition to a level that could make them a 2 seed or a 1 seed over a 3 or 4.

After North Carolina last year, I think it's safe to say that strength of non-conference schedule doesn't matter at all.

PostPosted: 09/02/05 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leave it up to Purdue in getting a POWDER PUFF schedule like this one, hope ND KICKS THEIR BUTT. Evil or Very Mad

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 09/13/05 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

00NDROCKS wrote:
Leave it up to Purdue in getting a POWDER PUFF schedule like this one, hope ND KICKS THEIR BUTT. Evil or Very Mad

The powerpuff sched may not be all Curry's fault. She complained in May about trouble assembling a schedule, and gave some reasons for it:
http://www.boilerstation.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050805/SPORTS02010202/508050325/1047/SPORTS020102

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: