RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2013 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 04/12/13 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too bad you all discount Clarendon so much. She's better than many of you seem to think. Guess we'll find out on Monday what teams in the W think.

jap

PostPosted: 04/12/13 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
Too bad you all discount Clarendon so much. She's better than many of you seem to think. Guess we'll find out on Monday what teams in the W think.

Yes, I liked how she played during the national title run. She can run a little point; she's decent from downtown (31.3%), and she has a very nice midrange game. Her overall FT% was only 69.9% so she needs to do some work at the charity stripe. Her pull up midrange jumper appears almost as reliable as a layup.

PostPosted: 04/12/13 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:

How would you rank them?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/12/13 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:

She had a great tournament run and came up big in big games - all to the plus (and the reason she is even in the discussion). She also has 'heart' and 'motor.' This year she got her % up enough to not be terrible, but for a shooting guard, she's really not a great shooter, and she really isn't a PG and her defense is not great either. All those things to me point to a doubtful W career.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/12/13 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:

She had a great tournament run and came up big in big games - all to the plus (and the reason she is even in the discussion). She also has 'heart' and 'motor.' This year she got her % up enough to not be terrible, but for a shooting guard, she's really not a great shooter, and she really isn't a PG and her defense is not great either. All those things to me point to a doubtful W career.

This also describes Mathies, but of course you value defense.

PostPosted: 04/12/13 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

true. (and Mathies is much better from 3) but especially if a player doesn't have some other astoundingly good skill, they have to at least be a good defender.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/12/13 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago Sky draft preview

http://www.wnba.com/draft/2013/preview_2013_sky.html

Quote:
"First of all, missing those two players (Prince and Fowles) was not the reason why we didn't make the playoffs," said Sky Head Coach Pokey Chatman.

Come on, Pokey! Piph was lighting the league up and we were 7-1. It ain't no coincidence that we just start losing when she got hurt.

Quote:
"And I know people are anxious about what direction we will go. So, let me be clear. It's quite simple. We sit down and assess our roster and the players we have, and then we look at the players available to us and make the smartest decision for the Chicago Sky. It's not really about 'this player is better than that player.' It's about which player can best improve the Chicago Sky."

Pokey, you're scaring me..

Quote:
Speaking of improvement, Chatman also mentioned a Sky player who she felt made strides despite last season's team struggles.

"Courtney Vandersloot, I think she turned a corner last year," said Chatman of the third-year guard out of Gonzaga. "She had to learn the pace of the league, the physicality of the league and with last year being her second season, she showed some good signs."

Unfortunately, this still won't be enough for people to stop the "Sky to the Sky" campaign.

Quote:
Areas of Improvement
Scoring
Three-Point Shooting
Free Throw Shooting

Delle Donne - 26.0 PPG, 45.6 3FG%, 92.1 FT%

I rest my case..

Last edited by mavcarter on 04/12/13 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 04/12/13 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Randy wrote:
Raven,

BTW - notice that 3 coaches that went for "potential" and ignored Hayes last year all got fired - Whiz (Cain), Thibault (Dabo) and Trudi (Barrett, Novasel.

If Alexander falls that far, I hope the Dream pick her over Bentley. We don't really need her, but she'd be the best of the rest.

Oooh, I think I've posted that a few times haven't I? "Potential gets you fired."

So, we're saying three coaches got fired for not drafting a backup guard who shot 39% from the field and 30% beyond five feet?

I guess not. I didn't realize she was that bad. But looks like you hit on the reason MM got fired.

I thought she played better down the stretch, especially when McCoughtry wasn't with the team. Maybe some other Dream fans can attest to this because it seems she started very slow to begin the season.

She broke her nose in the preseason and was running around with a mask for several weeks at the start of the season. She did play a lot better around mid season when she was starting for Angel.

DigginsWiggins

PostPosted: 04/12/13 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Quote:
"First of all, missing those two players (Prince and Fowles) was not the reason why we didn't make the playoffs," said Sky Head Coach Pokey Chatman.

Come on, Pokey! Piph was lighting the league up and we were 7-1. It ain't no coincidence that we just start losing when she got hurt.

Quote:
"And I know people are anxious about what direction we will go. So, let me be clear. It's quite simple. We sit down and assess our roster and the players we have, and then we look at the players available to us and make the smartest decision for the Chicago Sky. It's not really about 'this player is better than that player.' It's about which player can best improve the Chicago Sky."

Quote:
Speaking of improvement, Chatman also mentioned a Sky player who she felt made strides despite last season's team struggles.

"Courtney Vandersloot, I think she turned a corner last year," said Chatman of the third-year guard out of Gonzaga. "She had to learn the pace of the league, the physicality of the league and with last year being her second season, she showed some good signs."

Unfortunately, this still won't be enough for people to stop the "Sky to the Sky" campaign.

Quote:
Areas of Improvement
Scoring
Three-Point Shooting
Free Throw Shooting

I rest my case..

Who were you making your case to?

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/12/13 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DigginsWiggins wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Areas of Improvement
Scoring
Three-Point Shooting
Free Throw Shooting

I rest my case..

Who were you making your case to?

No one, just felt like saying it.

PostPosted: 04/12/13 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chip wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ok, this is probably my final guess...

1. Phoenix - B. Griner
2. Chicago - E. Delle Donne
3. Tulsa - S. Diggins
4. Washington - K. Bone
5. New York - T. Hawkins
6. Seattle - K. Alexander
7. New York - T. Hill
8. San Antonio - T. Young
9. Indiana - C. Davis
10. Los Angeles - K. Faris
11. Connecticut A. Mathies
12. Minnesota - A. Bentley

13. Atlanta - L. Moore
14. Minnesota D. Wilson
15. New York - S. Rodgers
16. San Antonio - L. Clarendon
17. Washington S. Smith
18. Seattle Storm C. Jeffrey
19. Washington Mystics A. Goodrich
20. San Antonio Silver Stars K. Penn
21. Indiana Fever - A. Martin
22. Los Angeles Sparks M. Walker
23. Connecticut Sun C. Poppens
24. Minnesota Lynx N. McKenith
3rd round in no particular order: B.Chambers; J.James; W. Rolle; A. Ritchie; K. Williams; H. Steed; Godbolt; H. Mershon; B.Alverson; C.Hopkins

Am thinking Tulsa may give Rolle a good look at #29 assuming she isn't taken earlier.

Luv those Liberty Picks Laughing Laughing Laughing

I might return as a Liberty fan again, if this worked out! Laughing

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/13/13 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I might try one more Sunday night because Heck I enjoy making lists but this is meant to be my final prediction.

1. PX Griner
2. Chi EDD
3. Tulsa Diggins
here is where it gets hard
4. Wash Hill their need is too great at SG to pass up the best scoring option on the board.
5. NY Bone bigger/stronger is BL motto, she can learn from Ford and Braxton.
6. SEA Faris Seattle looking to 2014 decides to go with a strong defensive fit and compliment to Bird, Wright and Stricklen for the future.
7. NY Rodgers fits the bigger/stronger mold can learn from and compliment Pondexter, Carson and Smith. Offense off the bench.
8 Hawkins Hughes in shock that she's there picks Hawkins while NY is still on the clock.
9. Ind Young fits nicely behind Catch in the line up.
10. LA Mathies Best 3 point shooter and defender of the remaining combo guard choices.
11. Conn Alexander AD coached against her last season and is psyched for a quality big, she can come on slowly behind Charles.
12. Minn Clarendon a little bit of a surprise but defense, flexibilty and IQ make her a decent replacement for Wiggins.

round 2 mostly for fun

13 Atlanta Bentley they need someone who can play the 1 and defend
14 Minn L. Moore thinking that J-Mac is replacing Taj, and Adair, Peters and Harris can grow into covering the post they look for a back up PG spot that Thorn vacated.
15 NY Walker bigger/stronger defender off the bench at the 3
16 SA Goodrich lucking out with Hawkins round one means no more spots in SA, but Goodrich has that Tully vibe so maybe Hughes takes a look.
17 Wash S. Smith someone needs to back up Curry
18 Seattle C. Davis they still need some posts
19 Wash Jeffreys is she better than Ajevon or Novosel Maybe, can she cover the point for 10 minutes probably, should she have fallen this far doubtful.
20 SA Penn Why not audition one more post
21 Seattle Brewer why not audition one more post
22 LA C Hopkins maybe LA does need a back up PG
23 Conn Leonor Rodriguez Why not? thought I'd try someone different.
24 Minn Rolle give her a training camp this year to see if she's got something, maybe bring her back in the future, if one of your young bigs doesn't work out.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/13/13 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I might try one more Sunday night because Heck I enjoy making lists but this is meant to be my final prediction.

1. PX Griner
2. Chi EDD
3. Tulsa Diggins
here is where it gets hard
4. Wash Hill their need is too great at SG to pass up the best scoring option on the board.
5. NY Bone bigger/stronger is BL motto, she can learn from Ford and Braxton.
6. SEA Faris Seattle looking to 2014 decides to go with a strong defensive fit and compliment to Bird, Wright and Stricklen for the future.
7. NY Rodgers fits the bigger/stronger mold can learn from and compliment Pondexter, Carson and Smith. Offense off the bench.
8 Hawkins Hughes in shock that she's there picks Hawkins while NY is still on the clock.
9. Ind Young fits nicely behind Catch in the line up.
10. LA Mathies Best 3 point shooter and defender of the remaining combo guard choices.
11. Conn Alexander AD coached against her last season and is psyched for a quality big, she can come on slowly behind Charles.
12. Minn Clarendon a little bit of a surprise but defense, flexibilty and IQ make her a decent replacement for Wiggins.

round 2 mostly for fun

13 Atlanta Bentley they need someone who can play the 1 and defend
14 Minn L. Moore thinking that J-Mac is replacing Taj, and Adair, Peters and Harris can grow into covering the post they look for a back up PG spot that Thorn vacated.
15 NY Walker bigger/stronger defender off the bench at the 3
16 SA Goodrich lucking out with Hawkins round one means no more spots in SA, but Goodrich has that Tully vibe so maybe Hughes takes a look.
17 Wash S. Smith someone needs to back up Curry
18 Seattle C. Davis they still need some posts
19 Wash Jeffreys is she better than Ajevon or Novosel Maybe, can she cover the point for 10 minutes probably, should she have fallen this far doubtful.
20 SA Penn Why not audition one more post
21 Seattle Brewer why not audition one more post
22 LA C Hopkins maybe LA does need a back up PG
23 Conn Leonor Rodriguez Why not? thought I'd try someone different.
24 Minn Rolle give her a training camp this year to see if she's got something, maybe bring her back in the future, if one of your young bigs doesn't work out.

Youe draft would certainly work out really well for most teams, if it falls that way. I'd argue a few points, but overall this one is hard to improve upon. If both Moore and Bentley are available at 13 I'd go for Moore. We have plenty of good defenders on the Dream.

redann

PostPosted: 04/13/13 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/9162462/wnba-espnw-mock-draft

redann

PostPosted: 04/13/13 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/9162759/wnba-wnba-draft-hinges-washington-mystics-no-4-pick

redann

PostPosted: 04/13/13 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebecca Lobo ‏@RebeccaLobo 12 Apr

I'm excited to watch two OSU players in the WNBA this summer : Ohio State's Tayler Hill and Oklahoma State's Toni Young.

Rebecca Lobo ‏@RebeccaLobo 12 Apr

@JPQ904 Griner will go first . Then EDD, then Diggins. Libs might get Bone, Hill, Young or Hawkins.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/13/13 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Lobo's been convinced EDD was going #2 for ages. There were several comments and tweets from her during the NCAA tournament about seeing her play for the Sky. Should Chatman pull a surprise and go with Diggins, one of the most amusing aspects will be seeing Rebecca's jaw drop on ESPN2 Very Happy.

PostPosted: 04/13/13 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, Lobo's been convinced EDD was going #2 for ages. There were several comments and tweets from her during the NCAA tournament about seeing her play for the Sky. Should Chatman pull a surprise and go with Diggins, one of the most amusing aspects will be seeing Rebecca's jaw drop on ESPN2 Very Happy.

Check out how we have voted on who will have the best pro career. Votes split between Griner and EDD. Diggins getting close to zero. If Pokey picks Skylar, she will not last the season as GM/Coach.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/13 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Check out how we have voted on who will have the best pro career. Votes split between Griner and EDD. Diggins getting close to zero. If Pokey picks Skylar, she will not last the season as GM/Coach.

It's possible that the poll won't produce accurate results.

PostPosted: 04/13/13 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:

Here's what Laimbeer thinks:

Quote:
"You can probably go more backward [on
the draft board] with tournament play
than you can go forward," New York coach
Bill Laimbeer said. "But there are
occasions where somebody moves up
one, two, or three spots."

If you valued Clarendon's Tournament play at the highest, that would mean she would move from mid 2nd Round to upperish 2nd round. I think you're trying to move her up about 12 or more spots.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/13/13 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

It's possible that the poll won't produce accurate results.

Possible? Absolutely. But when we're talking mock drafts, we're talking what we think is most likely to happen. And what is most overwhelmingly likely is Pokey picks EDD.

~rAf
lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/13/13 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Power back and another stab at a Draft:

1. Phoenix - Brittney Griner
2. Chicago - Elena Delle Donne
3. Tulsa - Skylar Diggins
4. Washington - Tayler Hill
5. New York - Kelsey Bone
6. Seattle - Kelly Faris
7. New York - Sugar Rodgers
8. San Antonio - Tianna Hawkins
9. Indiana - Toni Young
10. Los Angeles- Layshia Clarenden
11. Connecticut - A'dia Mathies
12. Minnesota - Lindsey Moore

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/13/13 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A note on Clarendon, who I first saw in high school:

The least effective shot in basketball, in terms of points produced per shot, is the midrange jumper. The reason few shoot it is that it doesn't help you win as much as threes or shots close to the basket. (Also, it's a very difficult shot that requires great leg strength.)

I'm not convinced Clarendon does anything well at the WNBA level, and it also seemed like she couldn't really consistently dominate games in the Pac-12. But she's a good basketball player with no real weaknesses either.

PostPosted: 04/13/13 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington might regret trading the #7 for Vaughn.

They could've landing Bone & Hill,Hawkins or Young.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/13/13 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Washington might regret trading the #7 for Vaughn.

They could've landing Bone & Hill,Hawkins or Young.

If he had known Bone was coming out, yeah I would say so. But not knowing that, I think he covered his bases.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next
Page 78 of 81

Jump to: