RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles and Melbourne Threatened...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/12/05 3:14 am    ::: Los Angeles and Melbourne Threatened... Reply Reply with quote

I don't know why this threat is being downplayed. The mayor and chief of police here in LA said there's no credible specific threat to LA, which is total bullshit. And they both looked like they were scared shitless. I'm no terrorism expert but it doesn't look like there's a whole lot of them working for the US government who could tell their ass from a hole in the ground so I'm not inclined to trust their assertions that there's probably nothing to this.

To me this is specific and the guy is a known entity. They're downplaying it because they say he's small potatos in the Al Qaeda organization. But that's the last they knew of the guy. Maybe he's come up. Maybe they like using him because he's an American. Why would Al Qaeda let this guy make empty threats from Pakistan?

I can't even find a link to the story on the New York Times or CNN.

Question Question Question

PostPosted: 09/12/05 3:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay. I guess it's an ABC News exclusive.

Sept. 11, 2005 In an apparent Sept. 11 communiqu broadcast on ABC News, an al Qaeda operative threatens new attacks against cities in the U.S. and Australia.

"Yesterday, London and Madrid. Tomorrow, Los Angeles and Melbourne, Allah willing. And this time, don't count on us demonstrating restraint or compassion," the tape warns. "We are Muslims. We love peace, but peace on our terms, peace as laid down by Islam, not the so-called peace of occupiers and dictators."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Investigation/story?id=1115448&page=1

PostPosted: 09/12/05 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Okay. I guess it's an ABC News exclusive.

Sept. 11, 2005 In an apparent Sept. 11 communiqu broadcast on ABC News, an al Qaeda operative threatens new attacks against cities in the U.S. and Australia.

"Yesterday, London and Madrid. Tomorrow, Los Angeles and Melbourne, Allah willing. And this time, don't count on us demonstrating restraint or compassion," the tape warns. "We are Muslims. We love peace, but peace on our terms, peace as laid down by Islam, not the so-called peace of occupiers and dictators."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Investigation/story?id=1115448&page=1

Hmmm. I hope to any higher deity that nothing happens in either of those cities.

Why Melbourne?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/12/05 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Why Melbourne?

I'm guessing because Melbourne is host to Australia's 2 biggest sporting events - the AFL Grand Final, in just under 2 weeks, when just under 100,000 people fill the MCG stadium, and the Melbourne Cup (our Kentucky Derby), held in November, and attracting even more people than the grand final.
The thought of a terrorist threat to either of those events would have people seriously shitting themselves.
(Including me, as I'm hoping to go to the game if my team can win this Saturday)

PostPosted: 09/12/05 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Why Melbourne?

I'm guessing because Melbourne is host to Australia's 2 biggest sporting events - the AFL Grand Final, in just under 2 weeks, when just under 100,000 people fill the MCG stadium, and the Melbourne Cup (our Kentucky Derby), held in November, and attracting even more people than the grand final.
The thought of a terrorist threat to either of those events would have people seriously shitting themselves.
(Including me, as I'm hoping to go to the game if my team can win this Saturday)

Oh Shocked . Well, I hope that every city is safe and that nothing happens.

Thanks for the information.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 09/12/05 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn't Australia have troops in Iraq?
That could be one thing, as shortly after the London attacks, Al Qaeda vowed to attack Rome and Copenhagen (Italy and Denmark also have troops in Iraq).

PostPosted: 09/12/05 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, we do.
When George asks us to jump our only response is "how high?"
For that reason we've always been fairly high up on the hit list.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: