RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Curry wants Sign-and-Trade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 09/09/05 9:29 pm    ::: Curry wants Sign-and-Trade Reply Reply with quote

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_0p.asp?ID=15033

Quote:
Curry has since been cleared medically to resume workouts, but has declined to participate in full-court games until he signs a new contract. The NBA’s insurance carrier, Trustmark, has already stated that it will not cover Curry’s heart this season. This has delayed contract negotiations between the Bulls and Rose as each party seeks more information about how to get a fair deal done.

PostPosted: 09/09/05 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He won't get a long-term deal from a contending team. He's too much of a medical liability.

Mathies to LA 2013
bullsky

PostPosted: 09/09/05 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
He won't get a long-term deal from a contending team. He's too much of a medical liability.

Exactly. He doesnt udnerstand that. He's too much of a liability. I wouldnt mind trading him, but teams either wont want him, or not want to give up much for him. If we trade him, I want something good.

PostPosted: 09/09/05 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He needs to sit out a year and let this "heart abnormality" talk pass. Then maybe a team will take a chance on him.

Mathies to LA 2013
missjoy28

PostPosted: 09/10/05 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eddy wanted Chandler money. But Chandler deserved it because he stepped up his game last season and in the playoffs. Curry still has to improve his defense plus he's got a heart problem. He should keep in mine about the 49er kid that died a month ago. The kid was only 23. He has to prove that this heart isn't a issue. I like Eddy but he's attitude is irritating sometimes.

PostPosted: 09/21/05 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eddy Curry has two 'heart' problems preventing him from getting that big contract...

Obviously, the literal heart problem involving the irregular heartbeat and enlarged heart stuff. I really feel for Eddy that for having to deal with this becasue even if he's medically cleared to play, will he (or we) ever really know for sure that he won't just collapse during a game? Hearts are so unpredictable that even if he's cleared it doesn't necessarily mean that he's ok. I mean, they still haven't even figured out what caused that irregular heartbeat and dizziness back in March when all of this got started. If you don't know what caused it, how can you prevent it from happening again?

I don't think sitting out a year will necessarily help the situation. If he sits out a year, he still won't be able to get insured next year. What he has to do is play unisured this upcoming year for the QO and then next year, if he doesn't have any problems, he'll be able to get insured and teams will be willing to sign him to a large long-term contract. Clearly there is a HUGE risk in playing uninsured next year, but that is likely what Curry will have to do.

The other 'heart' problem with Curry is clearly his lacksidaisical style of basketball. There's no reason why someone as big and agile and athletic as Curry should average less than 5.5 boards per game. The kid is lazy. I don't know if EC has been keeping in shape this summer, but once he signs that big contract, his weight is gonna balloon out of control. Curry has a lot more basketball skill than Tyson Chandler will ever have, but Chandler has heart. As a Bulls fan, I'd rather risk $65 million on a player with less skill and lots of heart than a player with skill but no heart. Basketball skills can be taught, heart cannot.

But then again, true centers are such a rare commodity in the NBA that teams really don't have a choice but to throw money at him. I dunno. Its a complicated issue and I hope that the Bulls do the right thing and everything works out well for both parties. Eddy's got a lot of potential and I don't want the Bulls to quit on him yet, but the heart problems make me nervous.

missjoy28

PostPosted: 09/23/05 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree also hoop!

Curry should be averaging 10 rebounds a game. His weight is also becoming a issue. It's something that he needs to work on before the season. I don't care which team he goes to. The end result will still be the same. Hey we got Songalia! Great addition for the Bulls.

PostPosted: 09/23/05 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah missjoy, the Songaila pickup was good. I don't know too much about him, but he seems like the type of hard-nosed player that will fit in well on this Bulls team. I'm glad we got him on the cheap too. I mean, paying Chandler $65 million dollars is ok, but paying Chris Duhon almost $3 million bucks is just ridiculous.

Regardless as to what happens with Curry's heart stuff, I'm confident that Songaila, Harrington, Chandler and Antonio Davis can hold down the front-court for the Bulls.

I'm just hoping that last year wasn't a fluke and that the Bulls will continue to take steps forward this year. Last season, we easily could have beat DC in the first round if we were healthy.

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/23/05 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

missjoy28 wrote:
Hey we got Songalia! Great addition for the Bulls.

I think Darius has HUGE upside. He's a nice finisher and a nice shooter. I think the Bulls did fine for what they needed to do. Did they need to re-do their whole line-up like the Cavs? No. They needed some key parts. Again, if the Bulls didnt go on that horrid 9 game losing streak to start the season, they might have been up a place. They just need to play as a team and then the wins will come.

PostPosted: 09/24/05 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paxson wants Eddy to take a DNA Test to see if he's okay health wise. But Eddy is refusing to take the test. Damm, this boy is getting on my news with his attitude. Why is he acting like this all the sudden? Mad

PostPosted: 09/24/05 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taking the DNA test would be the best thing for Eddy to do from the perspective of the Bulls organization and the fans. But what if the results come back unfavorable and show that Eddy's basketball career is over? He will have to retire and live for the rest of his life on his 'measly' rookie contract. Chances are, kids that enter the league at 18 year olds are not responisble enough to save their money, especially when they think that they are gonna get a huge contract a few years down the road.

Here's a possible theory: Sometimes I think that he probably got the DNA test done independently and then doesn't want the results known becuase then he won't get his big payday. He needs to get someone to commit big money to him BEFORE the extent of his heart problem leaks out.

I mean, think about it. If there was really nothing wrong with his heart, there would be more teams that were willing to take the risk and just throw money at him. Teams do it all the time. Teams throw money at scrubs and risky players left and right in the NBA. For example, the Nets will risk like $40 million dollars (I actually have no idea how much it was, but it was a lot) on a 35 year old Alonzo Mourning who has a very public history of kidney failure, but no one will take a chance on a 23 year old, agile and athletic big man because of a 'possible' heart problem? ...a heart problem which has been cleared by 3 or 4 of the top cardiac doctors on the planet? There's gotta be more to this than has made the papers cuz that just doen't make any sense to me.

Let's just hope that if Curry's heart problem really is very serious, he won't be stupid enough to risk his life playing for the QO next year just to make some money. Although, in all honesty, I don't trust Curry's judgement.

hoopladreams

PostPosted: 09/24/05 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ooooh...interesting new developments...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-050923bulls,1,2312450.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines.

The Bulls' Stance:
Quote:
"[Maron] has suggested [the test] to get a clearer picture, and that's all we're looking for to make the best decision for the franchise," Bulls general manager John Paxson told reporters Friday at the Berto Center. "I can't casually dismiss that it's available. That would be negligent on my part. It would be negligent to the Bulls.

"We feel if Eddy's under contract with us and accepts the qualifying offer, we have the right to ask him to do certain things to make sure he's capable of playing."

"All we're asking is that he just go a little further in terms of evaluation," Paxson said. "Honestly, I've never felt all along that it's asking too much."

Ultimately, it could provide answers that save Curry's life but end his career. Paxson is sympathetic to his plight but remains firm in his stance.

"Everything we've tried to do is in his best interests, and I think he understands," Paxson said. "I do feel for him. Here's a kid who is in a position to get a contract. Because of this episode, it has changed some things—there's no question."

Curry's Stance:
Quote:
An attorney who represents Curry said Friday his client will refuse the test and the case eventually will end up in arbitration.

"Serious privacy rights are at issue," Alan Milstein said in a telephone interview. Milstein, based in Philadelphia, is a litigator in sports law, insurance law and bioethics.

"We are not about to waive privacy for Mr. Curry or set a precedent for any other NBA player," Milstein added.

"If employers could give employees DNA tests, then they could find out if there's a propensity for illnesses like cancer, heart disease or alcoholism," Milstein (Curry's lawyer) said. "They will make personnel decisions based on DNA testing."

(fyi: there's more to this article...I didn't 'illegally' quote the entire thing)

I didn't know that the Bulls were pushing Curry this hard to get the DNA test. They might not even play him next year without one. Wow.

For both sides to be this adamant and headstrong about this, something else must be going on. But I dunno...do you guys think that asking a player to take a DNA test to rule out a potentially fatal ailment before investing $70 million dollars in them is an invasion of privacy?

missjoy28

PostPosted: 09/24/05 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoop, this mess is starting to get real ugly. I think Streaks might know the answer to that one. I'll ask the other boards as well. I know Paxson wants to make sure that Curry is healthy enough to play. He's even preparing to sit out for the entire season also? Oh lord!Is there any good news? Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 09/24/05 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good news?

Well, I think we can take some solace in the fact that the Bulls' frontcourt seems to be in capable hands with Chandler, Harrington, Songaila, and Davis. Whether Curry is there or not, at least he's not our only competent big man.

But yeah, it does seem like the relationship between Curry and the Bulls has deteriorated beyond repair. Ugly? Yeah, and it only looks to get uglier. So I guess we'll be losing Curry next year to free agency. Kinda sucks. Chicago has had be patient and deal with all of his "growing pains" for 4 years, only to lose him the second he starts to learn to play the game (although he still has a lot of things to learn -- like the complex task of REBOUNDING!). That bites but I guess that's how life goes in the NBA when teams are allowed to draft 18 year old kids.

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/25/05 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eddy does not understand that if he is playing in a Bulls uniform this year and he suddenly collapses and dies, then the Bulls would be the ones to blame. So, in reaction to that the Bulls want to make sure hes okay. Having heartbeat problems isnt the everyday thing. It's very rare and serious. Eddy doesnt get that. The NBA life insurance policy does not cover what he is going through so the Bulls want to make sure that if they invest in him, that they know 100% that he is healthy. Eddy is thinking about basketball and only basketball. You cant think about it that way when you have a condition like his. The Bulls are trying EVERYTHING to keep him here, but do they want him to die? No.

Oh, and I agree Hoopla. The Bulls did what was needed. Add depth to the front court. Allen, Davis, Harrington, Songaila and Chandler are a VERY deep post rotation. It's going to be interesting to see!

PostPosted: 09/26/05 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're right Streaks! Eddy just thinks about money. I talked to my mom about it and she thinks he'a crazy for wanting to skip the DNA test.She was like"Who is going to want him". He better go take that dam DNA Test.

PostPosted: 10/02/05 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now they're trying to work out a sign-and-trade with the Knicks. Maybe I should go back to my old sig-line Rolling Eyes
A healthy Curry is currently better than anyone we already have, I just don't think it's a risk worth taking.

PostPosted: 10/02/05 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear NYK are offering Sweetney and Tim Thomas, but CHI wants either Lee and Arizavic in addition or instead. Idea Thomas because Curry is a base year compensation player, and Sweetney because presumably CHI wants young posts. Crawford wants Curry though... Shocked

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/03/05 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
I hear NYK are offering Sweetney and Tim Thomas, but CHI wants either Lee and Arizavic in addition or instead. Idea Thomas because Curry is a base year compensation player, and Sweetney because presumably CHI wants young posts. Crawford wants Curry though... Shocked

The Knicks would be stupid to want Eddy at this point. What if he drops dead on the court tomorrow? What are they going to do then? People act like this isnt a big deal. Irregular heartbeats arent common or healthy.

PostPosted: 10/03/05 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

The Knicks would be stupid to want Eddy at this point. What if he drops dead on the court tomorrow? What are they going to do then? People act like this isnt a big deal. Irregular heartbeats arent common or healthy.

That's the Knicks..... Exclamation Idea

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/03/05 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Streaks wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

That's the Knicks..... Exclamation Idea

haha very true admiral.

PostPosted: 10/03/05 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Newsflash! Curry has been traded to the Knicks.

Details:

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_0p.asp?ID=16700

PostPosted: 10/03/05 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let him go! He pisses me off with his attitude. After all Pax has done for this kid and this is the things he gets. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 10/03/05 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OKay, the Knicks are officially the dumbest team in the NBA! :X Shocked

Mathies to LA 2013
hoopladreams

PostPosted: 10/04/05 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm...I don't know how I feel about all of this.

On one hand, I'm sad to see Eddy go. Geez, we've gone thru four years of watching Eddy Curry LEARN the game of basketball. We've watched this kid grow up and progress for four years with the hope that all of our patience would payoff when he finally "got it" and became a dominant center in this league. And here we are, four years later, with Tim Thomas and Michael Sweetney. Doesn't seem quite fair, does it?

On the other hand, Eddy Curry is just the kind of basketball player that I can't stand. The kind of player that has all the god-given talent in the world but just doesn't have what it takes between-the-ears. He's lazy. He has a bad attitude. He has no passion for the game. He's all about the money. He's likely to be a lifetime underacheiver.

I felt the same way last year with Jamal Crawford. I liked him as a Bull but he was a very frustrating player to watch. JC and EC are both players that have so much talent that you just wanna keep giving the one-more-year to figure it out. Things worked out for the best when the Bulls let JC go last year, hopefully it will be the same with Curry this year.

And yeah, the Bulls should have just made Isiah Thomas their GM two seasons ago. Woulda made his life a whole lot easier.

Good luck to EC in New York. With JC, Starbury and Larry Brown out there as well, that is gonna be an interesting clash of personalities.

And oh yeah, the rumors about the Knicks cutting Antonio Davis and him returning to the Bulls had better be true. If we gave up Curry and Davis for Sweetney, Thomas and a scrub, I'm gonna be even more upset.

I guess we'll just have to wait till the morning to see the exact terms of the deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: