RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Random WNBA Mention
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hyperetic



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 5223
Location: Fayetteville


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/05/16 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
During the NBA finals tonight, the commentators talked about the WNBA for about a minute or two. The struggles of Phoenix were mentioned, as were the old school Liberty, and the fact that Parker wasn't on the Olympic team.


Sounded a bit scripted


Yes. Yes it did. Especially when Van Gundy spoke of his favorite W team, the Phoenix Suns, um...er...Mercury. To be fair, its could have just been a Freudian slip. And at least, they did it whether they were made to or not. Publicity is publicity.
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10573



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/06/16 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
During the NBA finals tonight, the commentators talked about the WNBA for about a minute or two. The struggles of Phoenix were mentioned, as were the old school Liberty, and the fact that Parker wasn't on the Olympic team.


Sounded a bit scripted


Yes. Yes it did. Especially when Van Gundy spoke of his favorite W team, the Phoenix Suns, um...er...Mercury. To be fair, its could have just been a Freudian slip. And at least, they did it whether they were made to or not. Publicity is publicity.


Van Gundy had some credible things to say, and Mike Breen did do Liberty games.

What did you want? Why wasn't this good enough?

Geez ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1313



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/06/16 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
During the NBA finals tonight, the commentators talked about the WNBA for about a minute or two. The struggles of Phoenix were mentioned, as were the old school Liberty, and the fact that Parker wasn't on the Olympic team.


Sounded a bit scripted


Yes. Yes it did. Especially when Van Gundy spoke of his favorite W team, the Phoenix Suns, um...er...Mercury. To be fair, its could have just been a Freudian slip. And at least, they did it whether they were made to or not. Publicity is publicity.


It's better than commentators slipping up and using the city's NBA team's name during WNBA broadcasts.


Luuuc
#NATC


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 20573



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/06/16 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think those kinds of slips are pretty forgivable. Sometimes a string of words will just roll off the tongue by habit. The fact that he caught it himself and corrected it makes it a non-issue to me.



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
hyperetic



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 5223
Location: Fayetteville


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/06/16 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
During the NBA finals tonight, the commentators talked about the WNBA for about a minute or two. The struggles of Phoenix were mentioned, as were the old school Liberty, and the fact that Parker wasn't on the Olympic team.


Sounded a bit scripted


Yes. Yes it did. Especially when Van Gundy spoke of his favorite W team, the Phoenix Suns, um...er...Mercury. To be fair, its could have just been a Freudian slip. And at least, they did it whether they were made to or not. Publicity is publicity.


Van Gundy had some credible things to say, and Mike Breen did do Liberty games.

What did you want? Why wasn't this good enough?

Geez ...


I gave credit. Like was pointed out, it just seemed a little forced is all.
Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2310
Location: Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/06/16 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
During the NBA finals tonight, the commentators talked about the WNBA for about a minute or two. The struggles of Phoenix were mentioned, as were the old school Liberty, and the fact that Parker wasn't on the Olympic team.


Sounded a bit scripted


Yes. Yes it did. Especially when Van Gundy spoke of his favorite W team, the Phoenix Suns, um...er...Mercury. To be fair, its could have just been a Freudian slip. And at least, they did it whether they were made to or not. Publicity is publicity.


Van Gundy had some credible things to say, and Mike Breen did do Liberty games.

What did you want? Why wasn't this good enough?

Geez ...


I gave credit. Like was pointed out, it just seemed a little forced is all.


See, I didn't think it sounded forced. Van Gundy said Taurasi was his favorite women's player, and that a team led by her shouldn't be performing this way. He's taken an interest in the women's game in the past, calling the UCONN/Baylor game in 2012 I believe.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61598
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/06/16 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Van Gundy was once almost coach of the Mystics



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61598
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/06/16 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DOUBLE!



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10624
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/06/16 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Van Gundy was once almost coach of the Mystics


Quote:
"Maybe he decided it was time to coach some players who would listen to him," said one NBA source.



Wink

I do tend to think WNBA players pay more attention to their head coach more than most NBA players.



_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10573



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/07/16 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
pilight wrote:
Van Gundy was once almost coach of the Mystics


Quote:
"Maybe he decided it was time to coach some players who would listen to him," said one NBA source.



Wink

I do tend to think WNBA players pay more attention to their head coach more than most NBA players.


OT: My favorite magazine cover ever, StevenHW. I bought the magazine ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61598
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/08/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/bill-simmons-breaks-free-his-900291

Quote:
"One of the ironies of my life is that I was definitely a chauvinist with men's and women's sports before. I'd always make WNBA jokes and stuff like that. And now I'm like a feminist, and it's all because of her," he says, as his ponytailed daughter waves at him between plays. "In L.A., they have all these academy teams for boys, and the girls are treated like second-class citizens. The fields we have are worse than the boys', too. It all just drives me fing crazy."



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1313



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/08/16 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/bill-simmons-breaks-free-his-900291

Quote:
"One of the ironies of my life is that I was definitely a chauvinist with men's and women's sports before. I'd always make WNBA jokes and stuff like that. And now I'm like a feminist, and it's all because of her," he says, as his ponytailed daughter waves at him between plays. "In L.A., they have all these academy teams for boys, and the girls are treated like second-class citizens. The fields we have are worse than the boys', too. It all just drives me fing crazy."


Huh. He was still making lame jabs at women's basketball a few months ago. Rolling Eyes


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61598
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/09/16 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA star: Never give up

http://www.ccenterdispatch.com/news/article_38afb5e8-2dd7-11e6-9936-c74ebcc46304.html

Quote:
Former WNBA star and professional basketball player Nicole (Ohlde) Johnson emphasized the importance of making good decisions as part of a Library summer reading Get in the Game program on Monday at the Dexter Park band shell.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61598
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/14/16 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.natchezdemocrat.com/2016/06/14/a-minute-with-minor-local-coach-reminices-college-career-wnba-stint/

Quote:
Minor was 32 years old when she tried out for the WNBA in 1998. She traveled to Marietta, Ga., to compete in a camp before she was offered a role on the Detroit Shock now the Dallas Wings practice squad



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
WfanFrJmp



Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 951



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/26/16 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDD shout out during Delaware roll call tarts at 0:53 mark!!
http://wdel.com/features/delawarerollcalldnc.mp3


LosLynxAngeles



Joined: 26 Jul 2014
Posts: 860



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/26/16 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
EDD shout out during Delaware roll call tarts at 0:53 mark!!
http://wdel.com/features/delawarerollcalldnc.mp3


Awesome!!!! I love how proud the state is of her.


potd41



Joined: 27 Nov 2004
Posts: 2683
Location: Mesa,AZ


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/05/16 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
EDD shout out during Delaware roll call tarts at 0:53 mark!!
http://wdel.com/features/delawarerollcalldnc.mp3



That was AWESOME!!



_________________
"The beast with the bun".
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55102



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/10/16 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.r3dd.it/p/4wun5z/

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_reQpgzMtvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned


Last edited by Shades on 08/16/16 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55102



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/10/16 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arrow



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10624
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/16/16 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On "Feherty" on the Golf Channel, an interview with Bubba Watson also features some shots of his wife Angie wearing a Cleveland Rockers uniform, even though she never played a regular-season game for the Rockers. I can only assume that Angie signed a preseason contract with the Rockers before being cut.

This is the shot the show used...




_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw
StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10624
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the Houston Chronicle:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/See-what-some-of-Houston-s-best-known-buildings-13271964.php

Quote:
Toyota Center replaced the aging Compaq Center (previously known as The Summit) as the home of the NBA team and the go-to venue for major touring concerts coming through the Houston-area. Both the Houston Comets, the city's defunct WNBA team, and the Houston Aeros (RIP homies) hockey team would also call Toyota Center home.



_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw
Silky Johnson



Joined: 29 Sep 2014
Posts: 1727



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First of all, I can't believe that this thread as been dead for twenty-one months. I must have just missed a more recent iteration of this thread laying around, right? If I did, please feel free to merge, or whatever.

Anyway... #TheCompiler was on the Dan LeBatard Show today, and they teased her into naming her Top 5 WNBA players of all time. Dan did throw in a disclaimer on her behalf, that "She doesn't mean to exclude anybody, that she apologizes if she forgets anybody, she doesn't mean to offend anybody, and we badgered her into this," basically making it clear that it was just part of a goofy bit, for their radio show.

That said, the Top 5 WNBA players of all time, according to The Compiler:

5. Tina Thompson
4. Sheryl Swoopes
3. Lisa Leslie
2. Lauren Jackson
1. Diana Taurasi

They were teasing her for not putting herself in her Top 5, and she (presumably) jokingly said, "I'm sixth."



_________________
Professional Hater. The Baron of #HateHard
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15466
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
First of all, I can't believe that this thread as been dead for twenty-one months. I must have just missed a more recent iteration of this thread laying around, right? If I did, please feel free to merge, or whatever.

Anyway... #TheCompiler was on the Dan LeBatard Show today, and they teased her into naming her Top 5 WNBA players of all time. Dan did throw in a disclaimer on her behalf, that "She doesn't mean to exclude anybody, that she apologizes if she forgets anybody, she doesn't mean to offend anybody, and we badgered her into this," basically making it clear that it was just part of a goofy bit, for their radio show.

That said, the Top 5 WNBA players of all time, according to The Compiler:

5. Tina Thompson
4. Sheryl Swoopes
3. Lisa Leslie
2. Lauren Jackson
1. Diana Taurasi

They were teasing her for not putting herself in her Top 5, and she (presumably) jokingly said, "I'm sixth."


Who is "The Compiler" supposed to be?


Silky Johnson



Joined: 29 Sep 2014
Posts: 1727



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Who is "The Compiler" supposed to be?


The player who needed twenty-one more games (basically two-thirds of a season) to break Ticha Penicheiro's assist record. #HateHard



_________________
Professional Hater. The Baron of #HateHard
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15466
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/23/20 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Who is "The Compiler" supposed to be?


The player who needed twenty-one more games (basically two-thirds of a season) to break Ticha Penicheiro's assist record. #HateHard


A name would actually be more helpful.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin