RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Budke and asst die in plane crash
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 11/18/11 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Incredibly sad news.

Condolences to all the families, other staff, players, friends and entire Univ.

played3on3

PostPosted: 11/18/11 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So sad Crying or Very sad My condolences to all involved.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/18/11 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sooner women are going to wear a black band throughout the season in rememberance of Budke and Serna and in support of the OSU womens' team.

FS02

PostPosted: 11/18/11 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't know them, but I just keep remembering how happy they all were the first time the Cowgirls made the tournament. They worked hard for it. So sad.

PostPosted: 11/18/11 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terribly sad news. Thoughts and prayers go out to both of their familes, school, and players.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 11/18/11 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just horrible and shocking. Condolences to the families, players, friends and fans of these outstanding people. They will be missed!

bballfan32

PostPosted: 11/18/11 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hate this for the entire Oklahoma State community.

I never met Budke, but I did meet Serna a couple of weeks ago, and man did she make an impression on me. She was very vibrant and enthusiastic about everything. I can see why she was so important to OSU's recruiting. Budke was a great coach. Both will be truly missed

Kailapea

PostPosted: 11/18/11 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was shocked and saddened when I read about this a little while ago. It is truly a heartbreaking event. My condolences and prayers to the OSU and family, once again touched by tragedy.

PostPosted: 11/18/11 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is truly sad for the all the victims and their families. The pilot and his wife died also.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 11/18/11 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very sad news! My thoughts, prayers and condolencens to all the family and friends of those who were lost. I did follow Okla State season before last and it is just sad for this to happen to any team. Sad

deanjet

PostPosted: 11/18/11 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is terrible news! My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

PostPosted: 11/18/11 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Oh, no. That's awful.

Yes it is. UCSB's Carlene Mitchell tweeted:
Devastated! Lost a great friend, mentor and coach! Kurt Budke gave me a chance as a player and helped Groom me as a coach.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/18/11 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell also knew Serna. Here's what she had to say about both of them in a couple of articles:

Budke:

UC Santa Barbara coach Carlene Mitchell played for Budke at Trinity Valley and helped him win his first national championship at the school. She stayed in touch with her former coach, who helped her get her first head coaching job this year.

"He was so proud. He put in a ton of calls for me and I remember him yelling and screaming in his country drawl when I told him I got it,'' a devastated Mitchell said.

Mitchell, who grew up in Arkansas, said that Budke's plane went down a few miles from where her high school coach lived.

"It's a trip I've made many times,'' Mitchell said. "He used to call me his little Razorback. I'm sick and sad. I don't know the right words right now. His kids and his wife, that was the priority for him."

Serna:

"Miranda was a really great person," said Carlene Mitchell, another of Budke's former players from Trinity Valley who's now the coach at UC Santa Barbara.

"She worked hard. She believed in him. That's why she stayed. ... She had some opportunities to look at some other jobs, but she wanted to bring in players and help him win at Oklahoma State."

toad455

PostPosted: 11/19/11 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

truly, truly sad news. prayers for everyone.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/19/11 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I knew both, Serna a little better than Budke...so incredibly devastating. Good people, good coaches, respected by their peers...

I just cannot believe this happened to them...and that it happened a 2nd time to the same school.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families & friends of them and the OSU community.

RIP Kurt & Miranda...

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/19/11 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The pilot was 82.

PostPosted: 11/19/11 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My prayers go out to all involved especially their families, the team, and the university. What a devastating tragedy, I am still in shock. Was never a fan of OKSt, but not b/c I disliked them, just b/c I'm a UConn/Big East guy. My heart breaks especially for a school that has already gone thru this before. And I pray no one ever has to experience this thing again...EVER!
justynkarr

PostPosted: 11/19/11 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Sooner women are going to wear a black band throughout the season in rememberance of Budke and Serna and in support of the OSU womens' team.

That is so sweet. This is why I love this team so much. I was talking with some other OU fans about how cool it would be if Sherri wore a bright orange blazer in rememberance of him at Bedlam.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/19/11 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
The pilot was 82.
old doesn't nec. mean incompetent. According to the story, the engine was sputtering. It's a reason why I've always avoided single engine planes. I like the idea of having a second one that gives you at least a chance of getting down a bit more slowly.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 11/19/11 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
The pilot was 82.
old doesn't nec. mean incompetent. According to the story, the engine was sputtering. It's a reason why I've always avoided single engine planes. I like the idea of having a second one that gives you at least a chance of getting down a bit more slowly.

When I worked in TV news as a photojournalist and there were times when to cover news stories in CA we'd have to charter small planes to get to the location. I told the assignment desk I wouldn't go on a story if it required me to be in a single engine plane (we had the right to refuse assignments based on safety). My dad was a pilot in WWII and taught pilots at Air France for a time afterwards. He always told me to never fly in a single engine plane.

Of course, this is all irrelevant given the tragedy, but going forward, something to think about. As for the age of the pilot, I do think it's cause for concern because frankly, if there is an emergency situation, someone of that age might not be as quick to respond/react as a younger pilot. There's a reason the airline have mandatory retirement for pilots at age 60.

Living life has its risks though, and these two people were doing something they loved in their lives. We should all be so lucky.

ridor

PostPosted: 11/19/11 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calwbbfan: Your dad advised you never to ride on a single engine plane. I'm intrigued by that advice. Mind telling me (as well as others) why? Is it because a single engine plane tends to fail and there was no back up to that?

I always find this baffling, you see ... if the engine failed, why didn't it glide? I am not a pilot but what's the point of having wings to glide if one could not try it themselves? Of course, injuries would occur but at least, some planes should glide itself without diving head-first onto the ground?

R-

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/19/11 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I do think actually, that there are a rare few airplanes, even maybe a 757, don't hold me to that, that are designed to glide without engine thrust for a bit. But in general, that's just not the way the miracle of flight occurs, and that's not how airplanes are designed. Flight happens when the engine propels the wings of an airplane against the resistance of the air and the wings are designed to create lift. Once that propulsion stops, or the engines die, then the same resistance of the air slows down the airplane almost immediately to the point where it cannot sustain lift or flight.

And 82 is just too old. It's about eyesight, reaction time, the proper reaction, thinking of everything, being able to handle the concentration and stress of a many hour flight, staying awake and alert, etc. Not saying it was a factor here. But the questions will be there has to whether a younger pilot might've foresaw a problem, or reacted in a way to mitigate the situation quicker, preventing a disaster from happening. His wife, who I'm not sure if she was the copilot or not, was 79.

I'm 54, I just drove up from Laguna Niguel two nights ago at night. I used to pride myself on my driving capabilities. I have a great highway car. But the freeways here are a test and dudes for the reasons I stated above, I'm not any where near the same driver I was just five years ago. It's pathetic. And that's just 54. So I'm just being honest and stating that there's a reason why airlines stop pilots from piloting their airplanes at a certain age. I don't know what that ages, but according to someone here in this thread, it's 60 years which is 20 years younger than this pilot was.

I apologize for changing maybe the tone of this thread from grieving and offering condolences to questioning the factors that may have led to the tragedy. But when I read that the pilot was 82 years old I just thought that was a bit much. That fact struck me so I posted it.

PostPosted: 11/19/11 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Different people will age differently. Some might be fine at 82 while others might be incapable in their mid-50's. Perhaps it should be handled like a driver's license. Every state mandates eye tests and road tests every year or two for people of a certain age to get renewed (the age varies by state).

PostPosted: 11/19/11 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Well, I do think actually, that there are a rare few airplanes, even maybe a 757, don't hold me to that, that are designed to glide without engine thrust for a bit. But in general, that's just not the way the miracle of flight occurs, and that's not how airplanes are designed. Flight happens when the engine propels the wings of an airplane against the resistance of the air and the wings are designed to create lift. Once that propulsion stops, or the engines die, then the same resistance of the air slows down the airplane almost immediately to the point where it cannot sustain lift or flight.

Actually, they're all designed to glide (they'd be hard put not to be, thanks to Bernoulli's Principle), but planes are very hard to land without engines, particularly since you don't get a second chance if it isn't done right.

YankeeVol

PostPosted: 11/20/11 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get what you are saying - it was one of my first thoughts, too. And of course that is not to say that anyone brought this on themselves or in any way deserved a tragedy to happen. Very sad all around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: