RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Solheim Cup 2011: Killian Castle Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/20/11 12:36 am    ::: Solheim Cup 2011: Killian Castle Ireland Reply Reply with quote

Up first, Junior Solheim Cup. I don't know all of these players; but some end up being pros like, Pressel, Creamer, Thompson, Korda.

They are all obviously top college recruits. They are all under 18 years old, or were when they qualified. I think these are qualified by AJGA points.

These matches tend to go to the home team, even more so than than the senior matches. This year it's in Ireland here are the pairings, the Margui match is in bold.

EU is the first listing vs USA

Round 1 (Foursomes Matches)
08.00 – Lauren Taylor and Charley Hull v Mariah Stackhouse and Jaye Marie Green
08.11 – Lisa Maguire and Leona Maguire v Emma Talley and McKenzie Talbert
08.22 – Amy Boulden and Emma Nilsson v Kyung Kim and Summar Roachell
08.33 – Manon Gidali and Celine Boutier v Esther Lee and Gabriella Then
08.44 – Emilie Alonso and Luna Sobron v Lindsey Weaver and Ashlan Ramsay
08.55 – Antonia Scherer and Margaux Vanmol v Karen Chung and Alison Lee

The McGuire twins are the top EU players I think, well at least one of em is. Talley is USA's top player. She just set the AJGA record with 4 consecutive wins. This came late because she was interrupted in her quest earlier this summer to play the US Open as an alternate. I had never heard of Talbert, but a quick study finds her to be a state girls HS champion as a freshman, and #2 player on the boys HS team, as a freshman. That was 2009. Uh that's all I need to know about her.

Should be an interesting match and might be a harbinger of the final result.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/20/11 12:39 pm    ::: Re: Solheim Cup 2011: Killian Castle Ireland Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Up first, Junior Solheim Cup. I don't know all of these players; but some end up being pros like, Pressel, Creamer, Thompson, Korda.

They are all obviously top college recruits. They are all under 18 years old, or were when they qualified. I think these are qualified by AJGA points.

These matches tend to go to the home team, even more so than than the senior matches. This year it's in Ireland here are the pairings, the Margui match is in bold.

The McGuire twins are the top EU players I think, well at least one of em is. Talley is USA's top player. She just set the AJGA record with 4 consecutive wins. This came late because she was interrupted in her quest earlier this summer to play the US Open as an alternate. I had never heard of Talbert, but a quick study finds her to be a state girls HS champion as a freshman, and #2 player on the boys HS team, as a freshman. That was 2009. Uh that's all I need to know about her.

The American youngsters played hard this morning but got their butts handed to them 5-1.

This afternoon they have a chance at coming back 4.5 - 1.50; but it is very close today.

http://www.ladieseuropeantour.info/tic/tmlsmon.cgi?tourn=PJS4~season=2011~

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/20/11 1:50 pm    ::: Re: Solheim Cup 2011: Killian Castle Ireland Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:

Jr team USA came back 4-2. Europe leads 7-5. Team USA needs 7 of 12 match points tomorrow to be the first Jr. Solheim Cup team to win on foreign soil. Well done girls!

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/21/11 9:16 am    ::: Re: Solheim Cup 2011: Killian Castle Ireland Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

Jr team USA came back 4-2. Europe leads 7-5. Team USA needs 7 of 12 match points tomorrow to be the first Jr. Solheim Cup team to win on foreign soil. Well done girls!

Jr team USA Retains the Cup! Jr team USA won the 12 singles matches 7 - 5 to tie the score 12-12. Tie retains the cup. This is the first Jr team to win on foreign soil! The Sr. team has done it only twice.

Here is the complete scoring:
http://www.solheimcup.com/content.php?id=1427&pid=1030

Eta: Congratulations to Karen Chung who played the Anchor match, her half point tie was the winning point. Matches don't get closer than this. Would that the Senior matches be this close!

I'd have to check; but this thing came down to the last three matches, the final match ended on the 18th hole. So this thing ended, after two days, 24 matches, 54 holes, this thing ended on the last putt, last hole, last match. I don't think there has ever been a Ryder cup or Solheim cup that went down to the last match on the 18th hole.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/21/11 1:46 pm    ::: Re: Solheim Cup 2011: Killian Castle Ireland Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

Jr team USA Retains the Cup! Jr team USA won the 12 singles matches 7 - 5 to tie the score 12-12. Tie retains the cup. This is the first Jr team to win on foreign soil! The Sr. team has done it only twice.

Here is the complete scoring:
http://www.solheimcup.com/content.php?id=1427&pid=1030

Eta: Congratulations to Karen Chung who played the Anchor match, her half point tie was the winning point. Matches don't get closer than this. Would that the Senior matches be this close!

I'd have to check; but this thing came down to the last three matches, the final match ended on the 18th hole. So this thing ended, after two days, 24 matches, 54 holes, this thing ended on the last putt, last hole, last match. I don't think there has ever been a Ryder cup or Solheim cup that went down to the last match on the 18th hole.

I was wrong on this, they played foursomes in the singles matches, and it was actually Lindsay weaver who finished this match. [actually I was right I think] I wasn't there but if weaver teed off ahead of Chung and won 2&1; Then Chung had to be the anchor and the player that won the match]

Quote:
As the drama intensified, Alonso’s compatriot, Celine Boutier, could only halve with Karen Chung and moments later Lindsay Weaver sealed America’s all-important 12th point with a 2&1 win over England’s Charley Hull.

“I’m not sure I can begin to put into words how I’m feeling right now,” said the American captain, Meg Mallon, a veteran of seven Solheim Cup matches and the winner of four Major titles, including two US Women’s Opens.

“I didn’t know these kids very well at the start of the week. I knew their records but it wasn’t until I watched them play that I worked out what they could do.

“Today, basically, what I tried to do was to put my energy players out first and my calm putters out last and I’d like to think it worked.

“It’s great to defend the title but my heart goes out to the European team,” she added. “They played with such class and sportsmanship they didn’t deserve to come out on the wrong side of this result. It’s been an unbelievable week and something I will never forget.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/golf/2011/0921/1224304514120.html

This was just an extraordinary event from what I can surmise. There were no stars, not on the USA side, everyone won points and everyone lost some points, it was just a great team effort, hard fought wins and hard fought losses, which says a lot about how good the Europe side was...

beknighted

PostPosted: 09/21/11 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a great result. As you say, a tie on foreign soil is pretty impressive, particularly for the juniors.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/21/11 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
That's a great result. As you say, a tie on foreign soil is pretty impressive, particularly for the juniors.

It's a shame this one ain't on video; like I said, no Ryder Cup or Solheim cup team match has ever been this close. Extraordinary.

I have to say and I think USA Captain set the tone, these are very classy sport matches. These girls are just blessed and thankful to be there. So I think I understand what Meg was saying when she says the Euro team didn't deserve the result.

It was so hard fought, so many holes, so many shots, the fact that USA won on the last hole from the last shot, it really doesn't mean anything, the big picture really is important here, at least that is what I think.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/21/11 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now on GC, a great story on Team USA's Mariah Stackhouse.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/22/11 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the opening ceremonies right now on GC. Hard to explain why I enjoy this pomp and circumstance. Tradition breeds history and history grows the event I guess.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/22/11 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Watching the opening ceremonies right now on GC. Hard to explain why I enjoy this pomp and circumstance. Tradition breeds history and history grows the event I guess.

Good grief, I've often wondered how hard it must be for team Europe to so consistently dress out their team with such crap. I mean seriously, do they seek out the most incompetent fashion coordinator on the planet? Inexplicable; really...

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/22/11 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Here are the four games in the opening session of the 2011 Solheim Cup, foursomes matches that tee off Friday morning:

• Michelle Wie/Cristie Kerr, USA, vs. Maria Hjorth/Anna Nordqvist, Europe
• Paula Creamer/Brittany Lincicome, USA, vs. Karen Stupples/Melissa Reid, Europe
• Stacy Lewis/Angela Stanford, USA, vs. Catriona Matthew/Azahara Munoz, Europe
• Brittany Lang/Juli Inkster, USA, vs. Suzann Pettersen/Sophie Gustafson, Europe

http://golf.about.com/b/2011/09/22/solheim-cup-friday-morning-pairings.htm

First of all; I should be sleeping right now. Between the WNBA playoffs and this thing starting at 2:00am live; I'm pretty much fucked the next few days. I did sleep in this morning Wink

Picking these matches is like picking lottery numbers... good luck with that!

First, the Euro side as a group has just been playing well lately. Next a strategery comment. The euros tend to ride their best horses into the ground while the Yanks like to baptize their rookies early. No rookies (well Lewis) in the first pairing for USA; Look for O'Toole and Hurst to come out in the afternoon fourballs I think.

Men or women, the Euros always win the Foursome (alternate shot format); the Jrs. lost 5-1. The Yanks tend to win the singles matches. I think it's just culture and this is true, men or women. I think Americans just can't handle the idea of hitting a bad shot and forcing a team mate to clean up the mess. This is just not in the American DNA.

The above said I'll try to pick the matches.

Match 1), give that one to the Euros. Wie is putting like crap, Kerr missed her first cut in years.

Europe 1-0

Stupples and Reid are playing well; Reid just won on the LET; but too much USA fire power, give it to Creamer and Bam Bam. This is Rosie's stopper match. Worst case 3-1 Europe.

Europe 1-1.

Lewis is the hottest American over 16 years old right now, Stanford has been consistent, they should win but I'm saying a half.

Europe 1.5 -1.5

This is Europe's stopper match. Too much fire power.

Europe 2.5 -1.5.

Can't wait to see the fourball afternoon pairings!

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/23/11 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Quote:
Here are the four games in the opening session of the 2011 Solheim Cup, foursomes matches that tee off Friday morning:

• Michelle Wie/Cristie Kerr, USA, vs. Maria Hjorth/Anna Nordqvist, Europe
• Paula Creamer/Brittany Lincicome, USA, vs. Karen Stupples/Melissa Reid, Europe
• Stacy Lewis/Angela Stanford, USA, vs. Catriona Matthew/Azahara Munoz, Europe
• Brittany Lang/Juli Inkster, USA, vs. Suzann Pettersen/Sophie Gustafson, Europe

http://golf.about.com/b/2011/09/22/solheim-cup-friday-morning-pairings.htm

First of all; I should be sleeping right now. Between the WNBA playoffs and this thing starting at 2:00am live; I'm pretty much fucked the next few days. I did sleep in this morning Wink

Picking these matches is like picking lottery numbers... good luck with that!

First, the Euro side as a group has just been playing well lately. Next a strategery comment. The euros tend to ride their best horses into the ground while the Yanks like to baptize their rookies early. No rookies (well Lewis) in the first pairing for USA; Look for O'Toole and Hurst to come out in the afternoon fourballs I think.

Men or women, the Euros always win the Foursome (alternate shot format); the Jrs. lost 5-1. The Yanks tend to win the singles matches. I think it's just culture and this is true, men or women. I think Americans just can't handle the idea of hitting a bad shot and forcing a team mate to clean up the mess. This is just not in the American DNA.

The above said I'll try to pick the matches.

Match 1), give that one to the Euros. Wie is putting like crap, Kerr missed her first cut in years.

Europe 1-0

Stupples and Reid are playing well; Reid just won on the LET; but too much USA fire power, give it to Creamer and Bam Bam. This is Rosie's stopper match. Worst case 3-1 Europe.

Europe 1-1.

Lewis is the hottest American over 16 years old right now, Stanford has been consistent, they should win but I'm saying a half.

Europe 1.5 -1.5

This is Europe's stopper match. Too much fire power.

Europe 2.5 -1.5.

Can't wait to see the fourball afternoon pairings!

Europe leads 4.5 - 3.5 after the first day. USA is lucky it's not a lot worse.

beknighted

PostPosted: 09/23/11 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So they were even in the morning and the Europeans won the afternoon.

And I guess that Paula Creamer will be in every match, since she's the only U.S. player who's 2-0.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/23/11 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

And I guess that Paula Creamer will be in every match, since she's the only U.S. player who's 2-0.

Yea, Creamer was clutch in both matches but Pressel made the winning putt on 18, sandwiched in between two birdie tries by Davies and Reid. Reid and Davies both beat it, Pressel and Creamer hit first on about every hole with longer clubs until 18 Pressel out drove everybody. Creamer is hitting kinda short these days.

But the player of the day was Ryann O'Toole, pair with Xtina Kim she came out and carried Kim for a while. She hits it big, her irons are solid and big. Five birdies from her on the day. If she has an issue in her young career it's controlling distance on her irons. She is a solid putter. With all the pressure and controversy over her selection to the team, and then missing three straight cuts coming in, she proved Rosie right today. They halved the match but it was a big half. Kim was a great selection for Ryann, and next she goes off with Pressel.

Here are the Friday Morning Pairings in the foursome matches.

Caroline Hedwall/Sophie Gustafson vs. Angela Stanford/Stacy Lewis
Karen Stupples/Christel Boeljon vs. Morgan Pressel/Ryann O'Toole
Maria Hjorth/Anna Nordqvist vs. Brittany Lang/Juli Inkster
Catriona Matthew/Azahara Munoz vs. Cristie Kerr/Paula Creamer

I'm not going to do any more picking; but I like our chances of splitting the Saturday matches which is probably what it will take for America to win on Sunday.

Rosie runs a golf vacation business that caters to women. Anyway I think this experience gives her a real good feel for knowing what personalities fit best and of course in this latest pairing she has adjusted with players that either played well or should play well, (Stanford/Lewis). I like the Inkster/Lang pairing as a good personality pairing. Neither one of these are the rah rah; ribbon; face paint types Laughing

Lewis was dead weight today. No fire and no putts made. Bam Bam hasn't made a putt in 36 holes which is why she is sitting down.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/24/11 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Yea, Creamer was clutch in both matches but Pressel made the winning putt on 18, sandwiched in between two birdie tries by Davies and Reid. Reid and Davies both beat it, Pressel and Creamer hit first on about every hole with longer clubs until 18 Pressel out drove everybody. Creamer is hitting kinda short these days.

But the player of the day was Ryann O'Toole, pair with Xtina Kim she came out and carried Kim for a while. She hits it big, her irons are solid and big. Five birdies from her on the day. If she has an issue in her young career it's controlling distance on her irons. She is a solid putter. With all the pressure and controversy over her selection to the team, and then missing three straight cuts coming in, she proved Rosie right today. They halved the match but it was a big half. Kim was a great selection for Ryann, and next she goes off with Pressel.

I'm not going to do any more picking; but I like our chances of splitting the Saturday matches which is probably what it will take for America to win on Sunday.

Rosie runs a golf vacation business that caters to women. Anyway I think this experience gives her a real good feel for knowing what personalities fit best and of course in this latest pairing she has adjusted with players that either played well or should play well, (Stanford/Lewis). I like the Inkster/Lang pairing as a good personality pairing. Neither one of these are the rah rah; ribbon; face paint types Laughing

Lewis was dead weight today. No fire and no putts made. Bam Bam hasn't made a putt in 36 holes which is why she is sitting down.

Watching Europe try to win a Solheim Cup over the last decade is like watching Lucy serve up the football for Charlie Brown. Sooner or later you would think Chuck would quit focusing on the football and kick the crap outta Lucy!

Europe extended their lead to 7-5 in the foursomes 2.5-1.5. Pressel and O'Toole got the only win for USA. Stanford and Lewis got stomped, Lewis got in her down prissy mood. I guess Rosie told her to clean up her attitude, quit affecting my team, and get you ass back out there and play golf, With O'Toole! They owned that match all day.

Rosie talked a bit about O'Toole, and how she talked to her twice a week after the pick trying to help her deal with her demons. Picking a rookie pro, ; OToole started the year in AA ball, she got 7 starts in the majors for a last place team, and then got traded to the Yankees for the World Series. That's tuff folks. O'Toole is 2-0-1 in the series. The Yankees would take that.
USA won the afternoon fourballs 3-1 and are tied 8-8 going into the 12 singles matches.

6:10 a.m. -- Paula Creamer, United States, vs. Catriona Matthew, Europe

6:20 a.m. -- Stacy Lewis, United States, vs. Sophie Gustafson, Europe

6:30 a.m. -- Morgan Pressel, United States, vs. Anna Nordqvist, Europe

6:40 a.m. -- Juli Inkster, United States, vs. Laura Davies, Europe

6:50 a.m. -- Vicky Hurst, United States, vs. Mel Reid, Europe

7 a.m. -- Brittany Lincicome, United States, vs. Christel Boeljon, Europe

7:10 a.m. -- Brittany Lang, United States, vs. Sandra Gal, Europe

7:20 a.m. -- Christina Kim, United States, vs. Maria Hjorth, Europe

7:30 a.m. -- Michelle Wie, United States, vs. Suzann Pettersen, Europe

7:40 a.m. -- Ryann O'Toole, United States, vs. Caroline Hedwall, Europe

7:50 a.m. -- Angela Stanford, United States, vs. Azahara Munoz, Europe

8 a.m. -- Cristie Kerr, United States, vs. Karen Stupples, Europe

This is a young deep Talented Team Europe with less baggage than past years and The USA team is not firng on all cylinders. None of these matches are ever gimmies but I like USA winning half the points and keeping the cup.

ETA: They are replaying the foursome matches right now on GC, and it's edited so it's more like greatest hits I think.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/25/11 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Watching Europe try to win a Solheim Cup over the last decade is like watching Lucy serve up the football for Charlie Brown. Sooner or later you would think Chuck would quit focusing on the football and kick the crap outta Lucy!

Europe extended their lead to 7-5 in the foursomes 2.5-1.5. Pressel and O'Toole got the only win for USA. Stanford and Lewis got stomped, Lewis got in her down prissy mood. I guess Rosie told her to clean up her attitude, quit affecting my team, and get you ass back out there and play golf, With O'Toole! They owned that match all day.

Rosie talked a bit about O'Toole, and how she talked to her twice a week after the pick trying to help her deal with her demons. Picking a rookie pro, ; OToole started the year in AA ball, she got 7 starts in the majors for a last place team, and then got traded to the Yankees for the World Series. That's tuff folks. O'Toole is 2-0-1 in the series. The Yankees would take that.
USA won the afternoon fourballs 3-1 and are tied 8-8 going into the 12 singles matches.

This is a young deep Talented Team Europe with less baggage than past years and The USA team is not firng on all cylinders. None of these matches are ever gimmies but I like USA winning half the points and keeping the cup.

ETA: They are replaying the foursome matches right now on GC, and it's edited so it's more like greatest hits I think.

Yikes, it's cold, windy and rain blowing side ways. Both teams front loaded their pairings, Creamer 5 down to Matthew. I didn't like that one, Creamer got no rest, 71 holes played before today.

Kerr was scheduled for the anchor match against Stupples, she had to withdraw with a bad wrist. a lot of close matches. USA 4 up in two matches. Kerr also played 71 holes; I was concerned about this match anyway.

Right now it's 9-8 Europe; but realistically it's 10-10. Looking like USA has to run the table on the back end.

Game on; let the toughest team win.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/25/11 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Yikes, it's cold, windy and rain blowing side ways. Both teams front loaded their pairings, Creamer 5 down to Matthew. I didn't like that one, Creamer got no rest, 71 holes played before today.

Kerr was scheduled for the anchor match against Stupples, she had to withdraw with a bad wrist. a lot of close matches. USA 4 up in two matches. Kerr also played 71 holes; I was concerned about this match anyway.

Right now it's 9-8 Europe; but realistically it's 10-10. Looking like USA has to run the table on the back end.

Game on; let the toughest team win.

It came down to the end, but Charlie Brown finally kicked Lucy. Laughing

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/28/11 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have not read a word on this just little ole me.; so what I say is just me.

First, I'm a homer, no question there; Lucy, I watched these matches and USA was running up hill, miraculously, they run up hill pretty fucking good!

So, how to encapsulate? Well, as someone who acquired autographs, Lee Trevino, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus; same day same hat.

How to describe what has happened to the LPGA? It sucks. This place is about WNBA, not LPGA. But, economically speaking, The LPGA has lost 1/3 of their business. A rookie, you have a green light to strut your stuff; not in this world. In this world you get 10 bullets, good luck.

The Solheim Cup.

Three cheers for Europe! USA did not lose; Europe won the damn thing, and it was fun to fucking watch!

Players who made a name.

Mel Reid
Caroline Hedwall
Ryan O'Toole
Vicky Hurst

These 4 young players proved their metal.

For the USA, O'Toole was the lucky loser; 7 starts on the LPGA; her match ended up being the one, the decider. Never mind this rookie lost nary a point, but as luck would have it, the cup came down to her ability to thread a shot into a tight spot, she missed her target about three feet, three feet! Ryan O'Toole, YOU ROCK!

The Euros played better golf, and in the end it was some great fucking golf! The players I list above; hopefully great things are about to come for all...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: