RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Free Agents
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/16/05 12:25 am    ::: Free Agents Reply Reply with quote

So, who's worth signing out of these UFAs? Let's see...

Adia Barnes: Defender/energy player. Not a threat on offense. Strictly a bencher. Not a bad choice if you need that kind of thing.

Tully Bevilaqua: Studly backup PG. Might start on a team with issues, like Houston.

Ruthie Bolton: Streak shooting off guard. Back in the day she could be really scary when she was on, lately she looks like someone with one foot in the retirement home.

Alisa Burras: Big post. Really big. I mean really, really big. I mean physical-embodiment-of-Lisa-Leslie's-ego big. Worth signing if you want to test the effectiveness of your new conditioning program.

Edna Campbell: Inspirational cancer-surviving guard. Past her prime, but useful in short bursts.

Amisha Carter: Rarely seen forward. Cut by the Lib, signed by the Shock, played in two games. A project at best.

Adrienne Goodson: An oldie, but a goodie. Had a career best year in rebounding last season. Won't take well to coming off the bench, so don't sign her unless she'll start or you want lockerroom issues.

Lady Grooms: Pregnant wing. She's a Lady. Whoa whoa whoa, she's a Lady

Jessie Hicks: Reserve post. Once got a blocked shot on Haixa Zheng. Had a surprisingly good year in 2004.

Pollyanna Johns-Kimbrough: Journeyperson. Has been drafted, waived, assigned, traded four times (including twice for first round picks in the 2002 draft), and taken in a dispersal draft.

LaTonya Johnson: Veteran bencher. Was cut by the worst team in the league before the season started, but still found a roster spot in Houston. Has squeezed more career from less talent than anyone in league history.

Tiffani Johnson: Underrated post. One the two UFAs that were starters for a league champion (Sheri Sam is the other). Has talent and size, but is rarely keen to use either. If you can figure out how to keep her motivated, she can be really good.

Merlakia Jones: Shakey former All-Star. Has been trending downward for the last few seasons. Still useful, and impossible to dislike.

Nikki McCray: Much vilified shooting guard. Defensive stopper. Had a career best shooting percentage in 2004. Someone will sign her and be glad that they did. Don't hate her because she's beautful!

Murriel Page: Original Mystic. Started about half the time in Washington last year, but is better suited to a reserve role. One of the top 10 rebounders in league history.

Wendy Palmer: Most Improved Player. Well, one of the two MIPs anyway. 2004 numbers were mostly right around her career averages. Good player who should draw alot of interest on the FA market.

Jocelyn Penn: College superstar. Scored four points in three minutes during 2004. I still think she could be a very good player if given a chance.

Tari Phillips: Force of Nature. Injured most of 2004, didn't play well when she wasn't. Was good in 2003 and great before that. Certainly worth a roll of the dice, she could come up big.

Jennifer Rizzotti: Backup PG. The only UFA with two WNBA championship rings. Sat out last season, unknown whether she will return.

Sheri Sam: League Champ. Has been dogged by bad attitude whispers throughout her career. Despite that, she's athletic & skilled and will be a major player of interest in the FA signing period.

Gwen Slaughter: Undrafted rookie. The Lynx signed, released, then re-signed her. Has played 7 career minutes. If you go to visit her, don't take your pet lamb.

Tangela Smith: Odd person out. Despite have her lowest PPG and RPG since 1999 and lowest FG% since 1998, Smith is widely seen as the prize of the UFA crop. She stepped up in a big way in the playoffs last season.

Charlotte Smith-Taylor: Hyphenated forward. Had career highs in PPG, RPG, and FG% in 2004. Could be a steal for someone in a Forward rich UFA group.

Mandisa Stevenson: Rookie post. Played limited minutes in alot of games for the SASS. Didn't make much of an impression.

Jurgita Streimikyte: MIA. Hasn't played in the W since 2001.

Andrea Stinson: Female Michael Jordan. There was a good bit of fanfare about Katie Smith passing Stint for #3 on the all-time scoring list, but there was very little said when Stinson finished the season #3 and Smith #4. Stinson has clearly lost at least a step, but she still has enough game to play for someone in this league.

Stephanie White: Local Hero. I'd be surprised if she wound up anywhere other than back in Indiana.

Michele Van Gorp: Out center. Got far more attention for something she said in an interview than anything she's ever done on a WNBA court. In truth, neither is particularly newsworthy. Should find work on an open minded team that needs a backup post.

Teresa Weatherspoon: Done. I love Spoon, but she needs to hang it up.

PostPosted: 01/16/05 12:40 am    ::: Re: Free Agents Reply Reply with quote

Pilight,
That's a really good summary of the Free Agents.
I think Ruthie has a lot to offer still. You're right about Stephanie - she'll be in Indy as a player or assistant coach.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 01/16/05 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Liberty should get Amisha Carter back and drop Bethany, Carter could give them a few double/double's during the season.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/16/05 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now there's an assessment I can get down with! I love some of the descriptions- how on earth could you get all that out with your tongue planted so firmly in your cheek?

Me, if the Liberty want to get in the Wayback Machine and give a draft pick another try, I'd go with Sonja Mallory, not Amisha Carter. But I'd ditch Erin to do it, not Bethany.

(now with spelling variations)
sambista

PostPosted: 01/16/05 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

working from your list, pilight, these are the players i think could reinvent themselves under a new set of circumstances, a new coach or a new system. that means people like sam could break out without going anywhere, if something changed; and people like goodie and johns never really lost it, imo, but need a new scenario to draw out their talents. players like pjk and penn are still really waiting for their shots, having always been cast as nothing more than second-stringers.

tully
edna
goodie
pjk
lake
stinson
sam
tangela
penn

tari and palmer don't need re-inventing. just let 'em play.

lake and stinson should get every advantage, every favor, in my book. they've earned it.

i'd like ruthie to retire before it looks like she was asked to go. i'm convinced that she has come to lean on her 3-point prowess so much that even she doesn't feel confident doing anything else. unlike lake and stint, she's barely one-dimensional. don't leave like a has-been, ruthie. you'll still keep your title as the most ripped player in the league.

tiffani: pilight, i can't believe you're defending the girl. she is innately lazy. that's not gonna change. that she bothers to wake up, pay attention and make a play every now and then does not earn her a spot on even the worse team.

mccray: i'm kinda feeling you here, pilight, because it's hard to see what's keeping her from playing well. i think her little bball light has gone out, for whatever reason. she's got the talent, but it's just not happening. i don't see it coming back.

surprise darkhorse: pollyanna johns-kimbrough

PostPosted: 01/16/05 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Me, if the Liberty want to get in the Wayback Machine and give a draft pick another try, I'd go with Sonja Mallory, not Amisha Carter.

mallory - there's another one who never got a fair shot. for the liberty, i wouldn't mind trying out pjk and ditching donaphin. pjk has a killer instinct that hasn't been fully tapped. but anyone paying attention when she was in miami saw what she was capable of.

PostPosted: 01/16/05 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
tiffani: pilight, i can't believe you're defending the girl. she is innately lazy. that's not gonna change. that she bothers to wake up, pay attention and make a play every now and then does not earn her a spot on even the worse team.

I've been cast in the role of Tiff defender for virtually her entire Comet career, I have to stick with that to the end. She's maddening because she has alot of ability and shows it just enough to make you want to keep her around. I suspect someone can motivate her, which will lead to another round of Van bashing for letting her go.

PostPosted: 01/16/05 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the basketball gods must be watching over tiff because her wake-up calls always seem to come at critical times, and she gets applause for her single feat of the game. but i doubt anyone will bash van in your scenario. instead, they'll express awe that anyone was able to draw the work out of old tiff.

PostPosted: 01/16/05 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Now there's an assessment I can get down with! I love some of the descriptions- how on earth could you get all that out with your tongue planted so firmly in your cheek?

Me, if the Liberty want to get in the Wayback Machine and give a draft pick another try, I'd go with Sonja Mallory, not Amisha Carter. But I'd ditch Erin to do it, not Bethany.

Erin imo is a goner anyway that's why I didn't say get rid of her, and Carter is a PF like Donaphin that's why I said drop Donaphin (among other reasons). Sonja Mallory should have been kept too, the Liberty are so stupid sometimes when it comes to who should they keep and who to let go. I would like Sonja to come back, she might be the banger the Libs are looking for.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/16/05 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle would be the perfect fit for Tari.

PostPosted: 01/16/05 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Seattle would be the perfect fit for Tari.

I believe she played for the Seattle ABL team.
BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/16/05 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I imagine the only reason Tari had to want to remain on an East Coast team was her mom. I can see her signing with a WC team now, but I really would love to see her taking it to the Lib 4 times or more.
She compliments LJ very well. She's more of a banger, a better offensive player than Vodichkova and she would take the pressure off of LJ as well. I just don't know if they have cap room to sign her.
Another team that could be a good fit for her is Houston, but I really don't want her to sign there. Not that it matters anyway...

PostPosted: 01/17/05 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tari will be in CT taking Wendy's place trust me.

No one seems to have ever taken this option seriously, but the Sun's primary need is a post, and who's better out there? They're not going to get a starter out of the draft, and I don't see this team coming so close last year and going backwards with an inexperienced not ready player in there.

She won't get closer to her mother, she said she likes the atmosphere around the arena (ie shopping and good restaurants), so what doesn't fit?

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 01/17/05 10:09 am    ::: Re: Free Agents Reply Reply with quote

You forgot to mention:

Jessie Hicks: Puked her guts out at MSG while w/ Orlando...LOL!!!

Looking at all these FA, I have to say NONE of this seem a good fit for the Libs, except MAYBE Tangela Smith. We need a banger and REAL PG, so that we can get rid of KB. We have plenty of shooting guards, our 3 spot is good...but we need a banger when we lose Tari. I certainly hope SOMEONE can put her differences aside and sign the girl but whatever.

pilight wrote:
So, who's worth signing out of these UFAs? Let's see...

Adia Barnes: Defender/energy player. Not a threat on offense. Strictly a bencher. Not a bad choice if you need that kind of thing.

Tully Bevilaqua: Studly backup PG. Might start on a team with issues, like Houston.

Ruthie Bolton: Streak shooting off guard. Back in the day she could be really scary when she was on, lately she looks like someone with one foot in the retirement home.

Alisa Burras: Big post. Really big. I mean really, really big. I mean physical-embodiment-of-Lisa-Leslie's-ego big. Worth signing if you want to test the effectiveness of your new conditioning program.

Edna Campbell: Inspirational cancer-surviving guard. Past her prime, but useful in short bursts.

Amisha Carter: Rarely seen forward. Cut by the Lib, signed by the Shock, played in two games. A project at best.

Adrienne Goodson: An oldie, but a goodie. Had a career best year in rebounding last season. Won't take well to coming off the bench, so don't sign her unless she'll start or you want lockerroom issues.

Lady Grooms: Pregnant wing. She's a Lady. Whoa whoa whoa, she's a Lady

Jessie Hicks: Reserve post. Once got a blocked shot on Haixa Zheng. Had a surprisingly good year in 2004.

Pollyanna Johns-Kimbrough: Journeyperson. Has been drafted, waived, assigned, traded four times (including twice for first round picks in the 2002 draft), and taken in a dispersal draft.

LaTonya Johnson: Veteran bencher. Was cut by the worst team in the league before the season started, but still found a roster spot in Houston. Has squeezed more career from less talent than anyone in league history.

Tiffani Johnson: Underrated post. One the two UFAs that were starters for a league champion (Sheri Sam is the other). Has talent and size, but is rarely keen to use either. If you can figure out how to keep her motivated, she can be really good.

Merlakia Jones: Shakey former All-Star. Has been trending downward for the last few seasons. Still useful, and impossible to dislike.

Nikki McCray: Much vilified shooting guard. Defensive stopper. Had a career best shooting percentage in 2004. Someone will sign her and be glad that they did. Don't hate her because she's beautful!

Murriel Page: Original Mystic. Started about half the time in Washington last year, but is better suited to a reserve role. One of the top 10 rebounders in league history.

Wendy Palmer: Most Improved Player. Well, one of the two MIPs anyway. 2004 numbers were mostly right around her career averages. Good player who should draw alot of interest on the FA market.

Jocelyn Penn: College superstar. Scored four points in three minutes during 2004. I still think she could be a very good player if given a chance.

Tari Phillips: Force of Nature. Injured most of 2004, didn't play well when she wasn't. Was good in 2003 and great before that. Certainly worth a roll of the dice, she could come up big.

Jennifer Rizzotti: Backup PG. The only UFA with two WNBA championship rings. Sat out last season, unknown whether she will return.

Sheri Sam: League Champ. Has been dogged by bad attitude whispers throughout her career. Despite that, she's athletic & skilled and will be a major player of interest in the FA signing period.

Gwen Slaughter: Undrafted rookie. The Lynx signed, released, then re-signed her. Has played 7 career minutes. If you go to visit her, don't take your pet lamb.

Tangela Smith: Odd person out. Despite have her lowest PPG and RPG since 1999 and lowest FG% since 1998, Smith is widely seen as the prize of the UFA crop. She stepped up in a big way in the playoffs last season.

Charlotte Smith-Taylor: Hyphenated forward. Had career highs in PPG, RPG, and FG% in 2004. Could be a steal for someone in a Forward rich UFA group.

Mandisa Stevenson: Rookie post. Played limited minutes in alot of games for the SASS. Didn't make much of an impression.

Jurgita Streimikyte: MIA. Hasn't played in the W since 2001.

Andrea Stinson: Female Michael Jordan. There was a good bit of fanfare about Katie Smith passing Stint for #3 on the all-time scoring list, but there was very little said when Stinson finished the season #3 and Smith #4. Stinson has clearly lost at least a step, but she still has enough game to play for someone in this league.

Stephanie White: Local Hero. I'd be surprised if she wound up anywhere other than back in Indiana.

Michele Van Gorp: Out center. Got far more attention for something she said in an interview than anything she's ever done on a WNBA court. In truth, neither is particularly newsworthy. Should find work on an open minded team that needs a backup post.

Teresa Weatherspoon: Done. I love Spoon, but she needs to hang it up.

sambista

PostPosted: 01/17/05 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okay, anybody who wants to trash my idea, form a line, but i say if the liberty wants someone who'll be tenacious in the post, someone unafraid of banging - someone FROM THE LIST only - get pollyanna johns kimbrough and TURN HER LOOSE. convince her she's NOT second string, give her free reign, and watch her go. she had her best year in miami (rothstein drew something out of her, and she was just becoming a real ass-kicker) and one of her worst years in houston. van will never let her play and, based on ny's record of poor choices, patty's got nothing to lose.

PostPosted: 01/17/05 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lib should look at the restricted FAs. Make an offer to Maria Stepanova. The Merc aren't likely to match a serious offer, they've been burned enough by no-show Barbie too many times. She might come to New York, especially once Baranova tells her about the fair sized Russian community there.

PostPosted: 01/17/05 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the Lib has much money to offer her. They probably commited a lot of money to Becky and the Waffle. Do I notice a trend?
Interestingly, Baranova wasn't listed as a UFA, so it means she's signed too? Or even cored?
I know Becky, C-Rob and the Waffle signed multi-year deals, so who did we core? VJ? Weird...

PostPosted: 01/17/05 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Baranova signed a multi-year deal.

PostPosted: 01/17/05 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight I posted in the other free agent thread. I thought Little Debbie was a FA? If yes, what happened there do you think?

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/17/05 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We already HAVE a blonde Euro! If you guys really want a Euro, at least get a redheaded model! Sheesh...

Last I heard, VJ was cored. For once, Blaze did something right. It's nice to see almost everyone safely under contract.

As for PJK... I like her. I really do. She's another example of why I miss Ron Rothstein so much. I'm not surprised she turned into an ass-kicker: wouldn't you if your parents showed the appallingly bad judgement of naming you Pollyanna? I don't know if it's our turn to have her yet; her career goes around in circles, you know: Charlotte, Cleveland, Miami, Charlotte, Cleveland, Houston. Doesn't she have to end up in Charlotte again before she can do anything new?

Ah yes, the Jessie Hicks incident. I still remember Taj and Pee-Wee helping clean up the mess. To add insult to... er, illness?... we lost that game.

(now with spelling variations)
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 01/17/05 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see Baranova & Stepanova kicking it at Brighton Beach and eating all those Russian delicacies, however, is Maria what the Libs need?? She's not incredibly tough and while she'll be a bit closer to "home" in NY, I'm not completely sold on her!

Who knows? Maybe the Lib brain trust will get their asses in gear and actually get someone who will STICK and send the 'kids' packin' (i.e. KB, Erin AND for cripe's sake BETHANY)!!!

pilight wrote:
The Lib should look at the restricted FAs. Make an offer to Maria Stepanova. The Merc aren't likely to match a serious offer, they've been burned enough by no-show Barbie too many times. She might come to New York, especially once Baranova tells her about the fair sized Russian community there.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/17/05 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keira, "dahling", we know Donaphin is not going anywhere but the Garden locker room. Or should I say dressing room, since she's a ballerina? Wink

PostPosted: 01/17/05 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One Russian post player I wouldn't mind having is Tatiana Shchegoleva. Heck, we should use Brighton Beach to attract all the good Russian players to NY!
If they're all goofy and talented as our very own Supernova, that is...

PostPosted: 01/17/05 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no-show barbie! hahahahahahahahahaha! no, she doesn't have the right stuff to represent in new york city. i've been chewing on this for a while, that, much as i hate what the sparks have come to represent in a lot of people's minds, the liberty need to start showing a similarly tough persona. then use it along with whatever may still be intimidating to opponents about playing in the garden and being stared down by new york fans. (in other words, we're not taking full advantage of that.) if not tarnado, then tarnado attitude. and the kind of toughness that d-train exudes, like "i know you don't want some of this!" baranova has earned her badge of honor - she may not be looking to bang, exactly, but she's not backing down either. neither is the baby. so no to barbie, yes to pjk, and anybody else who looks like an ass-kicker. that would automatically eliminate erin and the ballerina. wauters is on the bubble, because i could swear she actually whinces when arms fly under the basket. the liberty need to walk the walk, talk the talk, then play completely straight up so that when asses get kicked, there will be no excuses. grrrrrrrrrrrr!

PostPosted: 01/17/05 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well said, bibb. I waste my time and energy behind the visitors' bench heckling opposing teams' players and the team has to be tough on the court not to make me look like a fool (which happens, more often than not).
D-Train and The Baby are tough as nails. Becky used to be tough when she was coming off the bench and had to fight her way up. Now she just whines and makes faces. Our last great warrior is gone now with Tari.
The "don't touch me!" attitude and "get the f*&%^$ outta here" blocks and subsequent menacing glares.
Oh man, will I ever miss her...we need DeMya.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: