Washington Mystics 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/06/11 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
RP wrote:
I'll take my chances with Alana Beard rather than see Jasmine Thomas starting.

OK, that's just hate. Nobody in the business that is the pro game should take any more 'chances' with Alana. If she shows she can play her game again, then by ALL MEANS keep her. If she's unable to demonstrate she can play, then the business needs to move on. As Jasmine was clearly one of the three brightest spots on the team this season (along with Lang, Mo and a lesser extent Matee), it's just hate to express a preference for a player who can no longer play (if that is the case).

I know Jasmine's game pretty well, so I know she needs a particular kind of player on the floor with her in order to succeed. She has to share the backcourt with another guard with excellent PG skills. If she plays alongside the right kind of player, she will continue to be a bright spot for this team. If she plays with a non playmaking, pure shooting guard, it will not maximize her skillset and she will turn the ball over too much. It's all about the chemistry and whether the Mystics FO will suddenly gain a clue about this essential piece of putting together a successful team.

Is Jasmine a true PG?
I really can't tell. She seems to be a scorer--although her shot is pretty ugly at times, but can she set her teammates up and run an offense. At Duke, they had a terrible offensive team and she was the PG. Although they won many games it was always her carrying the scoring load. I don't see her as an elite PG like Lindsey Harding.

Short answer is "no" Jasmine is not a "true" PG. There are certain parts of the job she does very well, and others, not so much. This is why she would be able to contribute best alongside another guard with PG skills. She is a good ball handler and good slasher, both to get herself to the hoop or to set up a teammate by getting defenders out of position. She's not as great at traditional half court offense.

The player she seems to me to be closest to is Deanna Nolan, except with more PG skills, and obviously less proven ability to score. I've seen her midrange game look very similar to Nolan's, though clearly not at the same level right now. Her speed and hops are very similar to Deanna's and she's a pretty good defender. In fact, she defended Lindsey pretty well in the first game of the back-to-back against Atlanta, as well as scoring on Lindsey.

I don't think Duke's sucky offense should be blamed on Jasmine. More than anything else, the uncreative offense made all the players look worse than they actually are.

~rAf
MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 09/06/11 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems to me that the Mystics are in the worst position in the whole league in terms of how long it may take them to get back to being a good team. And yeah, I took the Shock into consideration. It's just a shame.

PostPosted: 09/07/11 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never say die! NY has made a miraculous recovery. Maybe a Cappie will demand to be traded to the Mystics and Sheila's crapshoot will hit the jackpot with a competent coach.... and there they'll go.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 09/07/11 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Never say die! NY has made a miraculous recovery. Maybe a Cappie will demand to be traded to the Mystics and Sheila's crapshoot will hit the jackpot with a competent coach.... and there they'll go.

What big star in her right mind would "demand to be traded to the Mystics" now? Shocked

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/07/11 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
gopher5 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

How much did SEA pay to get Katie Smith from WAS? Confused

The Storm traded Jasmine Thomas and their 2012 first round pick to the Mystics for Smith and Jacinta Monroe.

Is Katie Smith being paid the max? Question

I don't think so. In an interview earlier in the year on Dishin' and Swishin', Agler said something about Katie taking a pay cut to play for the Storm.

I guess as long as the player agrees they can be paid less than the max. It would be interesting to know if she would agree to it, and if she will be picky about the team she plays for.

She is, listen to my interview with her on the podcast at hoopfeed or via itunes!

xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 09/08/11 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I keep thinking about Nicole Powell and her short stay in Charlotte with Trudy as the coach. It just seems to me that Coleman and Powell are very similar type players. Not that fleet of foot with the ball. Trudy didn't seem to be able to coach Powell and now she can't coach Marissa. Just having a flashback. Will 2012 bring Coleman the MIP Award, on a different team, of course? I don't want this to happen but, if The Mystics keep her as the coach for next year, I think that's what will happen. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 09/10/11 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

I can't see Coleman and Lacey co-existing either. But I'm not sure the Mystics release her. Mo needs a good backup and Gardin isn't it. If Coleman could accept the role, she might be able to turn herself around. And Coleman sells tickets.

Why in the world wouldn't she accept that role? She has proven she isn't a capable starter in the league, so its backup or nothing. If a player of that caliber won't accept that role, she is an attitude and ego I wouldn't want anywhere near my team.

Remember she was a star in college and the #2 pick so cut her some slack as far as accepting a back up role. I think she can. I watched her for many years in college--more than anything she wants to win. For years, Lang and Toliver scored the big points and she did whatever was asked of her.

Exactly - Coleman does whatever's asked of her. Period. It's called coachable. And unfortunately none of us is in practices/team meetings to know what the hell Lacey has asked of anyone. I still feel from a coaching standpoint, she is over her head. Period.

PostPosted: 09/10/11 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's say Alana comes back relatively healthy next season.

PG: Jasmine Thomas/Kelly Miller
SG: Alana Beard/Matee Ajavon
SF: Monique Currie/Victioria Dunlap/Kerri Gardin
PF: Crystal Langhorne
C: Nicky Anosike

I think they gotta trade Coleman and then pick up a post in the draft.

That's really not a bad team.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 09/10/11 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:

Dunlap is getting NO playing time. Hard to believe she figures in the Mystics' future.

abontorab9

PostPosted: 09/10/11 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
nickv1025 wrote:

Dunlap is getting NO playing time. Hard to believe she figures in the Mystics' future.

I'm not going to argue that, and I know where your frustration comes from on the subject, but I would honestly hope Dunlap figures more into the future than DeMya Walker, who will probably be a grandmother before Dunlap gets any significant PT...

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 09/10/11 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
nickv1025 wrote:

I'm not going to argue that, and I know where your frustration comes from on the subject, but I would honestly hope Dunlap figures more into the future than DeMya Walker, who will probably be a grandmother before Dunlap gets any significant PT...

What future?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/11/11 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

What future?

Okay, let's play:

BLOW UP THE TEAM AND START OVER

Rules:
1. Fire Sheila
2. Oops, we're not Ted or able to buy her out
3. Fire Trudi GM and Trudi Coach
4. Hire new GM/Coach (beg Brian Winters to take the job) or your pick for the job
5. Sign new GM/Coach to THREE year contract
6. Players to keep
7. Players to cut or let go (UFA or RFA)
8. Players to trade
9. Other team's UFA/RFA to go after
10. Rebuild through the draft (see #8 - the only way to make the 2012 draft meaningful)

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/11/11 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:

What future?

Okay, let's play:

Rules:
1. Fire Sheila
4. Hire new GM/Coach (beg Brian Winters to take the job) or your pick for the job
6. Players to keep
8. Players to trade
10. Rebuild through the draft (see #8 - the only way to make the 2012 draft meaningful)

1. Oprah buys out Sheila (Sheila returns focus to business she's actually good at)
2. Hee hee...
3. Trudi...you're fired
4. Oprah's not afraid to hire the person most likely to be successful, even if it's a white male
5. Oprah wants a 5 yr contract but owner's group talks her down to 3 yrs
6. Players to keep - Lang, Mo, Jasmine, Alana (if she proves by December she can play)
7-10 to be completed when complete list of UFA, RFA is available

Additional consideration - hire a special consultant for Marissa Coleman, either by someone how getting around the rule where NCAA head coach cannot be hired so the Brenda can be hired or someone else whose job will be to get in Rissa's face and tell her the truth as boldly and loudly as she needs it to become the player she can be.

~rAf
terpsforever

PostPosted: 09/11/11 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:

What future?

Okay, let's play:

Rules:
1. Fire Sheila
6. Players to keep
8. Players to trade

1. Oprah buys out Sheila (Sheila returns focus to business she's actually good at)
2. Hee hee...
3. Trudi...you're fired
4. Oprah's not afraid to hire the person most likely to be successful, even if it's a white male
5. Oprah wants a 5 yr contract but owner's group talks her down to 3 yrs
6. Players to keep - Lang, Mo, Jasmine, Alana (if she proves by December she can play)
7-10 to be completed when complete list of UFA, RFA is available

Additional consideration - hire a special consultant for Marissa Coleman, either by someone how getting around the rule where NCAA head coach cannot be hired so the Brenda can be hired or someone else whose job will be to get in Rissa's face and tell her the truth as boldly and loudly as she needs it to become the player she can be.

Maybe she already knows the truth and plans on working on her game in the off season. A player with her talent who has been playing as long as she has been playing, I'm sure understands what she needs to work on. Give her some credit. I don't think any player who has achieved the success she has achieved is just going to sit around and be happy with where there at. They are always working on improving.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 09/11/11 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We actually played this game with Mechelle Voepel during one of her chats in August:

Quote:
(Q.) If Ted Leonsis genuinely wanted to fix the mess that Sheila Johnson has made of the Mystics in the last ten months and asked your advice as to how, what would you tell him?

Mechelle Voepel (3:08 PM)

I'm guessing the answer can't be for Sheila Johnson to get as far away from the franchise as possible, right? Smile The answer with most teams, with companies, whatever ... is usually the same thing: Developing consistency and stability. The Mystics have done exactly the opposite for much of their existence. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, of course. The Mystics wanted to save money last year and combine the coach/GM jobs. This after their most successful season in which they'd started to develop a little stability. So yet again, they undermined any sense that their fans could count on stability. I would say now they need to find yet *another* coach/GM for next year and then just get out of the way. But I don't sense SJ will ever get out of the way.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/39755/ncaaw-with-mechelle-voepel

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/11/11 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Maybe she already knows the truth and plans on working on her game in the off season. A player with her talent who has been playing as long as she has been playing, I'm sure understands what she needs to work on. Give her some credit. I don't think any player who has achieved the success she has achieved is just going to sit around and be happy with where there at. They are always working on improving.

Sorry terps, Rissa hasn't had enough success in the pro game to satisfy me that she knows what she needs to do to get better. Lang looked just as loss her rookie year and had a substantial disadvantage for her position (height). She had two specific things to work on: shooting outside two feet and post defense. I could be wrong, but I see similar potential from Marissa, but she's had two offseasons to adjust her game and/or improve specific skills. You may not agree with this, but Gardin going ahead of Rissa in the rotation is directly on Marissa, not Trudi. It's up to Marissa to show in practice and games that she can help make the whole team play better.

~rAf
rokky10

PostPosted: 09/12/11 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So going by this week's Mystics Magazine, Coleman's not returning, they talk about Matee and Marissa parting ways and Jasmine's line about being her best friend one day "next summer" says to me it isn't just for the winter break.

from 2:10
http://www.wnba.com/mystics/multimedia/mysmag_8x5.html

PostPosted: 09/12/11 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rokky10 wrote:
So going by this week's Mystics Magazine, Coleman's not returning, they talk about Matee and Marissa parting ways and Jasmine's line about being her best friend one day "next summer" says to me it isn't just for the winter break.

from 2:10
http://www.wnba.com/mystics/multimedia/mysmag_8x5.html

They were talking about parting ways--as in playing overseas on different teams. Although who knows if Marissa is coming back--would not surprise me if she isn't but that's not what they were referring to in the segment. Marissa talked about what a joy it was to see Trudy come into her head coaching role. Blah, blah, blah. I guess it's the party line because I'm guessing there is no way she really feels that way.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 09/12/11 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Sorry terps, Rissa hasn't had enough success in the pro game to satisfy me that she knows what she needs to do to get better. Lang looked just as loss her rookie year and had a substantial disadvantage for her position (height). She had two specific things to work on: shooting outside two feet and post defense. I could be wrong, but I see similar potential from Marissa, but she's had two offseasons to adjust her game and/or improve specific skills. You may not agree with this, but Gardin going ahead of Rissa in the rotation is directly on Marissa, not Trudi. It's up to Marissa to show in practice and games that she can help make the whole team play better.

Don't be ridiculous, Marissa Coleman is a professional basketball player. You don't think she knows what she needs to work on? You don't think people she is close to aren't telling her because they want to see her get better and succeed? Give me a break. I'm sorry, I just don't think Gardin played "better" than Coleman. I don't. You can, but I don't. I'm not saying she played great. Clearly, she didn't take Mo's spot away. And we don't know how she was in practice. I don't and neither do you. I think we both agree that she needs to improve her play.

RP

PostPosted: 09/14/11 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics looking forward after dreadful WNBA season

Quote:
“Our intent is to keep Crystal here as long as we can,” said Lacey, who also is the team’s general manager.

Quote:
Currie’s “stock certainly went up for me,” Lacey said. “I was so impressed with her determination and her competitiveness and her toughness. She is definitely somebody we would love to have come back.”

Quote:
Lacey said she has not yet decided whether she’ll attempt to re-sign veteran guard Alana Beard, whose past two seasons have been derailed by foot and ankle injuries. Beard is continuing to rehabilitate her left foot.

Quote:
Ajavon, who was the team’s second-leading scorer, also is an unrestricted free agent. Lacey said she didn’t “want to speak too soon” as to whether Washington will attempt to re-sign Ajavon, but the coach noted Ajavon “gained some valuable experience” this season.

Quote:
Lacey did say that she plans to try to re-sign forwards DeMya Walker and Kerri Gardin, two midseason acquisitions who ended up in the starting lineup down the stretch.

Quote:
While Lacey said it was too early to say whether Thomas would be the team’s starting point guard next season, she did call Thomas “an extension of me on the floor.”

Yes, we could tell...

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 09/14/11 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ajavon isn't an unrestricted FA. I guess it doesn't matter anyway because Tulsa will probably try to acquire her.

Mathies to LA 2013
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/14/11 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Lacey did say that she plans to try to re-sign forwards DeMya Walker and Kerri Gardin, two midseason acquisitions who ended up in the starting lineup down the stretch.

Laughing Laughing Shocked

This is a priority? What a joke!!

RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/14/11 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
myrtle wrote:

What big star in her right mind would "demand to be traded to the Mystics" now? Shocked

Michelle Baughman's the only one.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 09/14/11 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Dream loses even once to this team next season, I'm raising all sorts of hell. Evil or Very Mad Two losses to them them THIS season was too much to stomach.

Mathies to LA 2013
RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/14/11 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ajavon's old Rutger teammate buddies play for NY. She's from NJ. And Whiz likes athletic players who can play defense.

If my name was Marissa, I'd put a stamp on my ass and jump in the nearest mailbox.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: