RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2012
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnyK

PostPosted: 09/05/11 4:57 am    ::: Washington Mystics 2012 Reply Reply with quote

RFA's: Crystal Langhorne, Matee Ajavon, Nicky Anosike, Kerri Gardin
UFA's: Alana Beard, Monique Currie, Kelly Miller, DeMya Walker (assuming she was picked off waivers, not signed as a FA)

They own Seattle's and Atlanta's first round picks, their own and Indiana's third round picks.

They've got Dunlap, Thomas, Coleman under contract.

So who'll be their next RFA holdout under Lacy? And the most pressing question: when will SportsGuru return to tell us about how deep next year's draft is?

Last edited by JohnyK on 09/05/11 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 09/05/11 7:38 am    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2012 Reply Reply with quote

JohnyK wrote:
UFA's: Alana Beard, Kelly Miller, DeMya Walker (assuming she was picked off waivers, not signed as a FA) ....

They've got Currie, Dunlap, Thomas, Coleman under contract.

Are you sure about Currie?

Remember that at the start of this season, some folks on here thought it might not be a smart move for the Mystics to keep the injured Currie (at the time she was supposed to be out all season), saying she could walk away next season since she'd be a UFA.

Also, at the start of yesterday's broadcast, the Mystics' announcers said there would be 8 free agents on the team after this season (they never distinguished between UFA and RFA), and you've only listed 7. I can't recall their full list, which was up on the screen, and the video is still blacked out on Live Access.

JohnyK

PostPosted: 09/05/11 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, not sure. She re-signed before the 2010 season. In the release they didn't mention a term, so I assumed it's for pretty much the standard 3 seasons.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/05/11 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Check the 'In other news' section here: http://wnbalien.wordpress.com/2011/08/11/wnba-today-08102011-everybody-plays/ . I don't print stuff like that unless I'm as close to 100% certain as I can get (which is pretty close Wink).

PostPosted: 09/05/11 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

K, fix'd.

Amy22

PostPosted: 09/05/11 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
So who'll be their next RFA holdout under Lacy?

You weren't really posing that as a question, were you? You were just trying to avoid another groin kick to Mystics fans by not using the name of the obvious next escapee (ahem, Crystal Langhorne). Although I suppose it could be Anosike too.

Also, doesn't anyone else find having eight free agents on that team at one time odd? Especially for a franchise that isn't going to get anybody to sign with them as a free agent. They may have to grossly overpay just to get Beard and/or Currie to come back despite the fact that the two hold little to no value for any other team.

And even though she's under contract, I can't see Coleman and Lacey co-existing for another year. If this team isn't folding, it feels like this off-season could be a bigger mess than last year.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/05/11 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine that they're going to have Trudi Lacey back. While the team's struggles are partly due to the injury situation of Beard and Currie, they should still be a lot better than they are.

If coaching is a crapshoot, it's time for a new shooter.

PostPosted: 09/05/11 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I can't imagine that they're going to have Trudi Lacey back. While the team's struggles are partly due to the injury situation of Beard and Currie, they should still be a lot better than they are.

If coaching is a crapshoot, it's time for a new shooter.

Interesting idea. Given that the Mystics gave up a great GM/Coach duo for the sole reason of combining them into one person, then giving up on either Lacey, the Coach or Lacey, the GM means finding someone else to be the GM/Coach. That is, unless they're going to reverse the only piece of PR that made the slightest shred of sense. But, for now, let's assume they're gonna hold onto the decision to combine GM and Coach.

So, who would be great/good/halfway decent candidates for the Mystics GM/Coach? And, really, this should be restricted to anyone who had a decent record as a GM/Coach previously, or at least a decent record as a Head Coach and appears to have a good eye for talent.

In the halfway decent category, we have Marianne Stanley, current assistant coach for the Styx. She has a halfway decent record as a head coach (for the Styx). Judging by the perplexed looks on her face during the current season, I'm guessing she's a better judge of talent than Trudi Lacey.

I'm hoping somebody has ideas in the great or good categories for us to discuss. I've really talked myself out of everyone I could think of. If there's not a candidate who even looks better than Trudi or Marianne, the Styx are actually better off sticking with the known mediocre, perhaps giving Marianne a bigger say in personnel and playing time decisions.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 09/05/11 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brian Winters was recently released from his NBA scouting position. He had a good record with Indiana.

Nancy Darsch might be prime for another head coaching run after a long tenure as an assistant. If Marynell Meadors can do it, why not?

Van Chancellor isn't doing anything. He had a great record as a WNBA coach.

Patty Coyle has a better record in the WNBA than Stanley. So does Carolyn Peck. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/05/11 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amy22 wrote:
Quote:
So who'll be their next RFA holdout under Lacy?

You weren't really posing that as a question, were you? You were just trying to avoid another groin kick to Mystics fans by not using the name of the obvious next escapee (ahem, Crystal Langhorne). Although I suppose it could be Anosike too.

Also, doesn't anyone else find having eight free agents on that team at one time odd? Especially for a franchise that isn't going to get anybody to sign with them as a free agent. They may have to grossly overpay just to get Beard and/or Currie to come back despite the fact that the two hold little to no value for any other team.

And even though she's under contract, I can't see Coleman and Lacey co-
existing for another year. If this team isn't folding, it feels like this off-season could be a bigger mess than last year.

I can't see Coleman and Lacey co-existing either. But I'm not sure the Mystics release her. Mo needs a good backup and Gardin isn't it. If Coleman could accept the role, she might be able to turn herself around. And Coleman sells tickets. Mo is from
DC. She will want to stay for that reason. All of her friends and family are here. Lang is a RFA and the Mystics will match any offer. I can't see her wanting to go anywhere but the Mystics or the Liberty. She is from NJ and is a UMD grad. Ajavon is the bigger question mark, I think. Does she want to stay? Again, I am guessing she does. She is close to home and has invested a couple of seasons with the team. Unless a spot open up on the Liberty, she stays.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/05/11 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:

I can't see Coleman and Lacey co-existing either. But I'm not sure the Mystics release her. Mo needs a good backup and Gardin isn't it. If Coleman could accept the role, she might be able to turn herself around. And Coleman sells tickets.

Why in the world wouldn't she accept that role? She has proven she isn't a capable starter in the league, so its backup or nothing. If a player of that caliber won't accept that role, she is an attitude and ego I wouldn't want anywhere near my team.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/05/11 10:46 am    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2012 Reply Reply with quote

JohnyK wrote:
UFA's: Alana Beard, Monique Currie, Kelly Miller, DeMya Walker (assuming she was picked off waivers, not signed as a FA)

They own Seattle's and Atlanta's first round picks, their own and Indiana's third round picks.

They've got Dunlap, Thomas, Coleman under contract.

So who'll be their next RFA holdout under Lacy? And the most pressing question: when will SportsGuru return to tell us about how deep next year's draft is?

OK, here's my first stab at GM roster decisions:

RFA's:
KEEP - Lang, Ajavon, Gardin
LET GO - Anosike* (sign and trade for late 1st/early 2nd rd pick)

UFA's:
KEEP - Currie, Walker
LET GO - Beard (sigh), Kelly Miller

On contract:
KEEP - Thomas, Dunlap
TRADE - Coleman

So, here's the core for 2012
PG Jasmine Thomas
SG Matee Ajavon
SF Monique Currie, Kerrie Gardin
PF Crystal Langhorne, Vickie Dunlap
C DeMya Walker

NEEDS (in order of importance
Shooting Guard
Center
Point Guard

TRADE: Coleman and 1st round pick for LA 1st round pick

UFA signings:

SG Erin Thorne

Draft:

1st round pick from LA: Shenise Johnson or Shekkina Strickland

Late first round/early second round pick (from Anosike RFA sign and trade): Lynetta Kizer

Now the Mystics roster looks like this:

PG: Jasmine Thomas, Erin Thorne (I know she's a SG)
SG: Ajavon, Johnson or Strickland
SF: Currie, Gardin
PF: Lang, Dunlap
C: Walker, Kizer

That's one open roster spot if this franchise could possibly attract a free agent with experience playing the point. Maybe they should try to keep Kelly Miller after all, though I think she'll try to return to Phoenix.

I know this is not much of an upgrade over this year's team, but we'll continue to see just how badly Sheila Johnson screwed up this franchise for the short and long term.

Obviously having Currie back would be big.
If Dunlap goes to the same skills improvement off season 'camp' that Langhorne went to, she could be a suitable back up to Lang.
Thorne - I liked what I saw out of her in Chicago
Shenise Johnson - immediate contributor as shooter, slasher, defender
Lynetta Kizer - she's big (though much trimmer than before) and would benefit learning from veteran Walker

Big question: would LA make this trade? Does anyone think reuniting Coleman with Toliver will help Coleman? Or would they think the LA vets could whip Coleman into shape like they did Toliver? Does LA really think Prahalis could be their PG of the future?

Next biggest question: will the Styx give up on Anosike this quick? Or will she stick as the 11th roster spot instead of Kelly Miller until Kizer shows she can play in this league?

And really the biggest question: will VeGuru return to let us know that Trudi will sign all the free agents (including AB) and win the league next year, since the only problem with this year was the absence of Currie and Beard.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/05/11 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

I can't see Coleman and Lacey co-existing either. But I'm not sure the Mystics release her. Mo needs a good backup and Gardin isn't it. If Coleman could accept the role, she might be able to turn herself around. And Coleman sells tickets.

Why in the world wouldn't she accept that role? She has proven she isn't a capable starter in the league, so its backup or nothing. If a player of that caliber won't accept that role, she is an attitude and ego I wouldn't want anywhere near my team.

Coleman has already proved she is neither a starter not a decent backup for the Mystics. Winning sells more tickets than an underperforming local college star with a stinky attitude.

~rAf
terpsforever

PostPosted: 09/05/11 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Remember she was a star in college and the #2 pick so cut her some slack as far as accepting a back up role. I think she can. I watched her for many years in college--more than anything she wants to win. For years, Lang and Toliver scored the big points and she did whatever was asked of her.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 09/05/11 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Coleman has already proved she is neither a starter not a decent backup for the Mystics. Winning sells more tickets than an underperforming local college star with a stinky attitude.

Why do you say she has a "stinky attitude"? I don't see that at all. No, she is a competitor who wants to play.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/05/11 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
I can't see Coleman and Lacey co-existing either. But I'm not sure the Mystics release her. Mo needs a good backup and Gardin isn't it. If Coleman could accept the role, she might be able to turn herself around. And Coleman sells tickets. Mo is from
DC. She will want to stay for that reason. All of her friends and family are here. Lang is a RFA and the Mystics will match any offer. I can't see her wanting to go anywhere but the Mystics or the Liberty. She is from NJ and is a UMD grad. Ajavon is the bigger question mark, I think. Does she want to stay? Again, I am guessing she does. She is close to home and has invested a couple of seasons with the team. Unless a spot open up on the Liberty, she stays.

If Lang starts making a Harding-style fuss, Whisenant should be all over that. Some kind of combination of Powell/Mitchell/2012 first-round pick/even Vaughn for Langhorne would be huge for NY. Pierson goes back to being a Sixth Woman of the Year award candidate, Cappie has the Gasol to her Kobe...

Sorry, Mystics thread. Don't wanna push anyone over the edge.

PostPosted: 09/05/11 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Brian Winters was recently released from his NBA scouting position. He had a good record with Indiana.

Nancy Darsch might be prime for another head coaching run after a long tenure as an assistant. If Marynell Meadors can do it, why not?

Van Chancellor isn't doing anything. He had a great record as a WNBA coach.

Patty Coyle has a better record in the WNBA than Stanley. So does Carolyn Peck. Laughing

Hey, I did list Stanley as halfway decent, which is about the same as Trudi Lacey. Stanley's familiarity with DC would give her an edge over Coyle or Peck (and I know Peck was added in for the laughter value).

Brian Winters. Didn't Indiana get a lot better after he left? I could see him wanting to be a GM and Coach after having to deal with the players Krauschopt (sp?) picked.

And I'm assuming Van Chancellor's there for the laughter value as well. No way he's leaving the deep south or returning as a head coach. I can see him being a 'special assistant' somewhere in the south, close enough for him to see his grandchildren regularly.

~rAf
rokky10

PostPosted: 09/05/11 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Why do you say she has a "stinky attitude"? I don't see that at all. No, she is a competitor who wants to play.

Exactly, Coleman's probably one of the nicest people in the W, my only fault with her is that she's lost a lot of her edge as a player.

PostPosted: 09/05/11 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="readyAIMfire53"]
pilight wrote:

Brian Winters. Didn't Indiana get a lot better after he left? I could see him wanting to be a GM and Coach after having to deal with the players Krauschopt (sp?) picked.

Not really. They were good with him. They made the finals without him, but otherwise haven't won a play-off series. They also got Katie Douglas after he left, which made them instantly much better. Even then, the first season after he left and Dunn took over, they were only .500.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/05/11 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Look at her through Mystics eyes instead of Terp eyes. I think just about everyone with 20/20 WNBA vision could see Coleman has had her head screwed on backwards. I still think she has the talent, but seriously needs specific skill development and attitude adjustment.

Hey, I've never really liked Toliver (and it has nothing to do with 'the shot'), but she has turned into a decent player in the 'W'. First, they had to put her in her correct position (SG). Then the veterans had to beat the 'mopey' out of her. The emergence of Toliver in LA is actually the main reason I think Coleman could also learn to be a player there.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/05/11 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rokky10 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Exactly, Coleman's probably one of the nicest people in the W, my only fault with her is that she's lost a lot of her edge as a player.

I'm quite certain Coleman is a very nice person and her teammates seem to all like Marissa, the person. Perhaps 'stinky' wasn't the right choice of words. How about substituting 'lack of effort' for 'stinky'? For me, anyone getting paid should be making the effort to play to their potential. Either she's not good enough, or she's not making the effort. I choose option B. For me, her lack of effort is equivalent to a "stinky" attitude. I'm not ready to say she's just not good enough to do OK in this league. But I don't want to imply that she's some kind of lockerroom poison (a la Kara Braxton), cuz I haven't heard anything like that.

~rAf
allenleavell

PostPosted: 09/05/11 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Look at her through Mystics eyes instead of Terp eyes. I think just about everyone with 20/20 WNBA vision could see Coleman has had her head screwed on backwards. I still think she has the talent, but seriously needs specific skill development and attitude adjustment.

Hey, I've never really liked Toliver (and it has nothing to do with 'the shot'), but she has turned into a decent player in the 'W'. First, they had to put her in her correct position (SG). Then the veterans had to beat the 'mopey' out of her. The emergence of Toliver in LA is actually the main reason I think Coleman could also learn to be a player there.

That will solve a two teams problems because getting prahalis is not the answer it may help COLEMAN OUT BEING on the left coast.She take yoga class are something to help her get back on track.I dont think she was as bad off as lil mopey but I can see her needed some skill development.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/05/11 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

They added Katie Douglas immediately after he left, and their record hasn't been any better. They went 21-13 in each of his last three seasons, essentially the same as Dunn's most recent three.

Quote:
And I'm assuming Van Chancellor's there for the laughter value as well. No way he's leaving the deep south or returning as a head coach. I can see him being a 'special assistant' somewhere in the south, close enough for him to see his grandchildren regularly.

I think Van is done. Since you placed such an emphasis on record, I thought I'd throw out the guy with the best record of anyone. He's a much better coach than Stanley.

I would not be shocked to see the Mystics make a run at Carol Ross.

PostPosted: 09/05/11 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brian Winters is a guy I'd like to see get another shot in the WNBA. Didn't think he deserved to be canned at the time.

PostPosted: 09/05/11 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with rAf, Coleman needs an attitude adjustment. I watched her in college and I've watched her on the Mystics. She has the skills, she just doesn't seem to have the right mindset to handle the demands of the pro game. I love watching Marissa and I hope she can turn this around.

Random other points: I don't think reuniting Marissa and Kristi would help either one of them. And I don't think Lang will demand to be traded away from the Mystics.

Finally: rAf, did you really say something kind about Kristi? I think I just saw a pig flying past my window. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: