RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/06/11 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are absolutely right! Christon should go to LA and Parker should go to Chicago! Very Happy

PostPosted: 09/06/11 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are absolutely right! Christon should go to LA and Parker should go to Chicago! Very Happy

Sorry, double post.

PostPosted: 09/06/11 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the first step would be to sign Fowles & Young back .

Then go after a power forward & trade Prince or Vandersloot for a bigger guard . I am sorry Sloot & Prince are going to be good players but there just to small to play together .

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 09/07/11 6:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The first thing the Sky must do is re-sign Fowles.

And on a personal basis, I want to see Swords back next year too.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/07/11 6:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles is a restricted free agent so all Chicago has to do is match, And I'm sure Fowles is worth the max in money and years and so that's what she'll get in Chicago, there's no need to worry about her leaving, she can't, unless she pulls a trade me or I won't play and I doubt she would do that.

Chicago needs to draft well, if they get the #1 pick Ogumike, if they get #2 or #3 Shenise Johnson or Striklen (Sp) if they get #4 who knows? And go shopping on the free agent market, make offers to Wiggins, Houston, Carson, langhorne, Anosike and who ever else is a free agent and hope their team doesn't match. Also maybe Pokey can convince some decent internationals to come over.

McCarville and Lyttle are both from the same draft class as Kraayveld, does this mean they're unrestricted free agents next year? If so Chicago should target them.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/07/11 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon you must have been reading my mind! Your entire post are my exact thoughts. You need to take your show to Vegas and earn some big bucks! Smile

PostPosted: 09/07/11 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

defenseallday wrote:
I think the first step would be to sign Fowles & Young back .

Then go after a power forward & trade Prince or Vandersloot for a bigger guard . I am sorry Sloot & Prince are going to be good players but there just to small to play together .

Size is not their problem. Their problem is style of play. Both are ball-dominant guards and have been their entire careers. If Vandersloot's not engaged in the game (i.e. does not have the ball in her hands), then she is useless. If Prince doesn't have the ball in her hands, then she is useless. You're right that they don't complement each other, so one does need to go if Chicago wants to take a step forward. If you want to keep Prince, then you can go after a Runtani Mitchell type guard (someone who will "pass the ball and then get the hell out of the way"). If you want to keep Vandersloot (which is probably the better bet), then get a guard who can shoot coming off screens ala Rip Hamilton.

Mathies to LA 2013
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/07/11 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good points but I don't see either Prince or Sloot going anywhere, so I think what's important for them is to get a SF who can set up outside and make threes on the kick outs. The problem now is that they have a bunch of slashers who slash away but never ever kick the ball back out to a three shooter. Their three shooters now (who are basically just Kraay and Thorne, but sometimes Prince) get their shots from the throw the ball around the exterior method rather than the slash and kick out method. Having a SF who can shoot the three and having an offense that actually takes that into consideration would help immensely. If the whole offense is 1)force the ball into Syl regardless of how many defenders she has on her; or b)drive one on three by the guards - well, the future won't be that bright. They just desperately need to utilize an inside - out game. As much as people here crap on Powell, she would probably be the perfect fit for this team.

And I don't think this team is all that far from being a really good team - it just needs to get melded together in the right way. They now have a coach who I think FAs may want to play for, so if they can get one good FA and one good rookie, this team will be right in the mix.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/07/11 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Vandersloot and Prince playing together successfully is by any means impossible. As Sloot develops and makes better decisions about which passes/shots to attempt, and Prince hopefully develops better shot selection, I think my Bird/Wright comparison from earlier in the season still stands. It's just that neither Sloot nor Prince has the basketball smarts of their counterpart in that comparison yet.

PostPosted: 09/22/11 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just had a great, open and frank interview with Coach Chatman.

Great stuff. It will air next week on Dishin & Swishin.

She described what type of additions she'd like to see on the team...sure described one player almost to the T!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 09/22/11 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I don't think Vandersloot and Prince playing together successfully is by any means impossible. As Sloot develops and makes better decisions about which passes/shots to attempt, and Prince hopefully develops better shot selection, I think my Bird/Wright comparison from earlier in the season still stands. It's just that neither Sloot nor Prince has the basketball smarts of their counterpart in that comparison yet.

They don't have the talent of their "counterparts", either--though Prince may be closer to Wright in terms of pure skill. Prince is a fairly boneheaded player--and it appears that Wright is still boneheaded more often than not, but Wright has always been the far superior defensive talent (though Prince is no slouch on defense herself) due to her ability to guard on the ball and her size.

Sorry, I just don't see it. Sloot's missing a lot more than just "development". She lacks speed, which is a killer for a small/average-sized guard in this league. She's not going to just wake up one morning and have Chris Johnson speed, either. As I said time and time again during the preseason, going from WCC to WNBA is a major culture shock in and of itself. Then to play with players who really don't need you to create their shots (Prince, Canty, and--in some ways--Thorn) complicates matters because it takes the ball out of your hands more than ever in your entire career. Finally, she doesn't have the most patient PG coaches leading her, so the benching was inevitable.

Mathies to LA 2013
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 09/22/11 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

She described what type of additions she'd like to see on the team...sure described one player almost to the T!

Any mention of Carolyn Swords in your conversation?
RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/22/11 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Maybe a former #1 Draft pick?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/23/11 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Didn't get there, wanted to, but she's getting ready to go to Russia so...

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/23/11 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Didn't get there, wanted to, but she's getting ready to go to Russia so...

Is this going to be her last season coaching in Russia, or does she plan to continue coaching there after this season?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/24/11 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of you Sky fans need to do some hard praying. We need to pray to get the first pick the 2012 draft and pray that Elena Delle Donne decides to enter into the 2012 draft. Very Happy

PostPosted: 09/24/11 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
All of you Sky fans need to do some hard praying. We need to pray to get the first pick the 2012 draft and pray that Elena Delle Donne decides to enter into the 2012 draft. Very Happy

With her history of trouble committing to what exactly she wants to do, picking her comes with the same kind of built in "waiting for the other shoe to drop" that comes with Stacey Dales and Chamique Holdsclaw.
sure_thing34

PostPosted: 09/27/11 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sky should keep Fowles (of course), Prince, Sloot, Murphy, Young, and Swords. That is a good group to continue with as they are all young and will all improve even more. Get rid of Kraay, Thorn, Canty, Wisdom-Hilton, and Snow. So I'm looking at about 5 positions available on the Sky for draft picks and free agents to fill. We'll have a top 4 pick in the draft so Ogwumike, Striklen, S. Johnson, or any of (G. Johnson, or Dev Peters) would be a good pick for us since their all forwards and that is our need. We need consistent shooters to help open up things for Syl. We need to stack positions small forwards and power forwards this off season. Hoping Pokey can turn this thing around for next season.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/28/11 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Highlights of Epiphanny Prince's 2011 season
http://www.wnba.com/video/wnba/2011/09/27/PiphPrince2011HighlightsMPEG4mp4-1852150

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/14/11 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky missing playoffs gnaws at Pokey Chatman

Quote:
Chatman is open to anything: to helping her players completely overhaul their games, to simply overhauling the roster altogether. My instinct is that the only player safe from scrutiny is all-star center Sylvia Fowles, who had a spectacular, MVP-caliber season and would have been named WNBA MVP had the Sky made the playoffs.

Quote:
PBM: What is the Sky’s most pressing need?

PC: “A scoring small forward...."

Quote:
PBM: Speaking of perimeter play, what did you think about your two young guards, rookie Courtney Vandersloot and Epiphanny Prince?

PC: “Well, I wasn’t happy. We committed so many turnovers (the Sky led the WNBA in turnovers with about 18 per game) and it seemed like we were often overwhelmed (on the perimeter)."

Quote:
PBM: What about Vandersloot specifically? It’s tough having a rookie point guard.

PC: “It really is. We put a lot on Courtney, especially when (veteran point guard) Dominique (Canty) went down with an injury (that sidelined her for 12 games)."

Quote:
PBM: Are you optimistic for 2012?

PC: “I am and I’m working and I’m anxious. The playoffs are our only option."

sure_thing34

PostPosted: 10/15/11 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From reading that whole article it seems Pokey head is in the right place as far as what the Sky need. Thank goodness she said a "scoring small forward" is the Sky's biggest need. Because as much as Tamera Young improved this year she is not a starting small forward. I only like her off the bench for a good 15-20 minutes a game. She said she was dissapointed in the back court and rightfully she should be way to many turnovers. I get the sense that Pokey needed to really feel this team out to know what players she need to turn this thing around I'm confident she will get the right players on the team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/15/11 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tweety and Houston for starters... Cool

sure_thing34

PostPosted: 10/15/11 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Tweety and Houston for starters... Cool

They would surely help us out Cool

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/15/11 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Sky can get lucky and get the first or second pick in the 2012 draft then they should keep those picks. If the Sky are unlucky and get the third or fourth picks in the 2012 draft then they should trade that pick for a high quality veteran player.

PostPosted: 10/15/11 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
If the Sky are unlucky and get the third or fourth picks in the 2012 draft then they should trade that pick for a high quality veteran player.

Good luck with that Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: