RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WPS 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 08/28/11 3:57 pm    ::: WPS 2012 Reply Reply with quote

apparently there were potential ownership groups that attended the championship match. These groups represented potential expansion markets in Seattle, Vancouver, Souther California, Hartford(Conn.) & Toronto.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 10/20/11 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hartford, Connecticut is expected to land the next WPS expansion team. An annnouncement is expected sometime next week. The league has also stated that any west coast expansion will be put off until 2013.

http://equalizersoccer.com/2011/10/18/connecticut-expansion-team-rumors-heat-up/

Still hoping either the Freedom or RedStars return for 2012.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 10/22/11 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle would be great.

PostPosted: 10/25/11 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on recent Twitter & Facebook posts, the Long Island based New York Fury is expected to join the league as well. Also, rumors that the 2012 schedule is currently in the process and both the Fury and the rumored Connecticut expansion team are in the mix. The 2012 opening day game is expected to take place in Philly on April 7 vs. the Flash.

The league will also announce by opening day which west coast expansion teams will be joining in 2013. If everything comes into place with Chicago and Washington both looking to return, the league could reach 16 teams by 2016.

CURRENT 6:
NY/NJ Sky Blue FC
Philadelphia Independence
Western New York Flash
magicJack FC(Boca Raton, FL)
Atlanta Beat
Boston Breakers

2012 EXPANSION:
New York Fury(Long Island, NY)
Hartford, Connecticut

2013 RETURNING TEAMS:
Washington Freedom
Chicago RedStars

2013 EXPANSION TEAMS:
Vancouver
Seattle
Portland
Orange County, CA
Dallas or Houston
Toronto

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/26/11 5:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i won't be nieve enough to say long island is in the backyard of NJ but in theory that's a 2nd team in the same market.

And if even ONE person in the front office is affiliated with the NY Power deal's off, same screwballs who wouldn't promote the team, and so disjointed they once didn't get season tickets ON SALE until 2 weeks before the season and then didn't have their SALESMEN remember who was on the team beyond the founders!!!

...hell if they're using Mitchell field I'll point and laugh (HS Facility and well let's just say the roof of the parking lot St. John's uses is a better facility) But they probably are. Nassau is broke so they strongarm, even though hofstra's old FB stadium (which is still maintained for lacrosse) is 500x better and right next door.

Hey I work there...so warning to the liberty, as long as the Power aren't involved, you may not want 7pm start times, take those games I need to miss and go spend my money elsewhere.

PostPosted: 12/14/11 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Waivers granted, Division One status assured for WPS for 2012--season 4 is a go. Smile

toad455

PostPosted: 12/15/11 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
Waivers granted, Division One status assured for WPS for 2012--season 4 is a go. Smile

with a few conditions. League must be at 6 teams for 2013 & 8 teams by 2014. Hopefully some of those expansion rumors come through.

Would like to see 10 teams(possibly even 12) by 2014:

Current 5 teams:
NJ SkyBlue FC
Boston Breakers
WNY Flash
Atlanta Beat
Phialdephia Independence

Potential Expansion:
Connecticut
NY Fury(Long Island)
Seattle
Portland
Souther California

Longshots:
Toronto
Dallas
Denver
Bay Area
Chicago RedStars

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 12/15/11 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No to NY Fury. If your gonna do that move Sky Blue closer to the city, perhaps convert 5000 seat and horribly struggling Riverfront Stadium (The bears are only being held up by the fact that they'd be responsible for bonds if they folded, they TRIED to give it to the yankees but the Mets vetoed it, yes it's a slum but if NY fans will come see the Liberty more than North NJ Suburbanites) in Newark into a soccer facility. Or if you must, Red Bull Arena.

1. Mitchell Field is a rent trap.

2. the LI soccer community has proven it won't support a team (the NY power had the worst attendance by far in the WUSA they got more fans at an HS in northern Jersey than at some games at Mitchell)

If I want a NY Team I want it closer to NYC...Keyspan Park is not a bad idea but getting space from the Cyclones may be tricky and NO playing on a half dirt field.

Worse is if you have NY Fury that means you have 3 teams in a 3 hour radius of each other...compound that with hartford and suddenly you have half the league in one corridor...one that is NOT that big of a soccer community to support 4 teams. (Red Bull/Metros now only have a fanbase after being middling in support for years and having to be bought out by red bull, Philly is a strong market but Sky Blue all but horns in on it, don't get CT at all)

One market I never seen talked about is Raleigh Durham...I know they had issues with the courage but alot of that was poor marketing (the OTHER WUSA Team that didn't have proper marketing in place until days before the season, in fact in the 4 months leading up to the year they changed their name once and logo 3 times. And let's not get into the gay lion flap which made the controversy over Maddie's gender look like a simple case of dress up Laughing ) and an early issue with Fetzer field being knotholed by most fans. US Soccer's stadium in Cary should be used...and I think that'd be a good fit if an owner stepped up.

Portland and Seattle need a team ASAP...that was a failure of the WUSA and will be of WPS.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: