RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Swoopes wouldn't mind wearing a Shock jersey next year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 08/28/11 11:37 am    ::: Swoopes wouldn't mind wearing a Shock jersey next year Reply Reply with quote

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20110828_29_B1_CUTLIN844087

Quote:
"To be able to say I was part of turning this organization around, I would love to be able to do that."

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/28/11 12:53 pm    ::: Re: Swoopes wouldn't mind wearing a Shock jersey next year Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Swoopes said a perfect-world scenario would be to return in 2012 and announce before the season that it will be her farewell tour.

"In every city we go to, it would give me an opportunity to thank the fans and say 'this is it, I'm done' and kind of move on," she said.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

PostPosted: 08/28/11 1:22 pm    ::: Re: Swoopes wouldn't mind wearing a Shock jersey next year Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20110828_29_B1_CUTLIN844087

Quote:
"To be able to say I was part of turning this organization around, I would love to be able to do that."

Great article! I am so loving Swoopes' ability to bring out the positive while enduring the difficult. I hope she's able to give Lizzie a reason to come back after the Olympics next year. I think having this franchise finish the year with hope for the future, combined with the post-Olympic season being shorter bodes well for Lizzie's return.

~rAf
MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 08/28/11 1:37 pm    ::: Re: Swoopes wouldn't mind wearing a Shock jersey next year Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Quote:
Swoopes said a perfect-world scenario would be to return in 2012 and announce before the season that it will be her farewell tour.

"In every city we go to, it would give me an opportunity to thank the fans and say 'this is it, I'm done' and kind of move on," she said.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

Now I am going to hear Yul Brynner's "Pharoah" voice every time I read one of your posts . . .

PostPosted: 08/28/11 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sounds good. and hopefully the Shock will be better next year as well. maybe even winning up to 10 games.

would also like to see the league schedule a preseason game in or near Houston, possibly against the Sparks if Thompson is still there next year. A farewell for Comets' fans to say goodbye to Swoopes and Thompson.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/28/11 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the way she has been playing lately i wouldnt mind to see her with the Shock next season!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/28/11 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for Sheryl, but if those quotes had come from Lisa, she'd have been crucified on here.

Mathies to LA 2013
Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/28/11 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Good for Sheryl, but if those quotes had come from Lisa, she'd have been crucified on here.

Agreed. My first reaction was pretty negative as most players do not declare a farewell tour to "thank the fans" (which of course means a chance for the fans to thank them). The only thing that tempers this is that she really has been able to make a difference for the Shock.

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 08/28/11 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to know if any teams can use this Sheryl Swoopes during the playoff push. She said that her body is just now feeling like she wished it felt at the beginning of the season.

I think Swoopes who felt blackballed and pushed aside by the league lately is always talking about being grateful to the fans. Check out all the stuff she was saying at the all-star game even if she just was being politically correct. I'm taking her at face value. She means to thank the fans. What would the fans being doing? And she damn sure isn't getting a court named after her or a jersey retirement.

jaye

PostPosted: 08/28/11 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Agreed. My first reaction was pretty negative as most players do not declare a farewell tour to "thank the fans" (which of course means a chance for the fans to thank them). The only thing that tempers this is that she really has been able to make a difference for the Shock.

lisa could say "i love the fans at rebkell" and she'd get crucified here Laughing

we don't "all" agree on much here... but one thing that i think rubbed everyone the wrong way was that swoopes didn't get the sendoff she deserved... i don't care if she sucks the rest of this season and the next... she deserves a farewell tour....

she DID look good today tho.... didn't she... Smile i hardly agree with wdltw on anything at all... but i think he's got the right idea with his post on whether seattle is kicking themselves right about now.... Laughing

PostPosted: 08/28/11 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I LOVE YOU SHERYL SWOOPES!

Shades

PostPosted: 08/29/11 3:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
sounds good. and hopefully the Shock will be better next year as well. maybe even winning up to 10 games.

would also like to see the league schedule a preseason game in or near Houston, possibly against the Sparks if Thompson is still there next year. A farewell for Comets' fans to say goodbye to Swoopes and Thompson.

Maybe Thompson can go play for the Shock, since Sparks fans don't seem to be appreciating her now Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
suemar

PostPosted: 08/29/11 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Maybe Thompson can go play for the Shock, since Sparks fans don't seem to be appreciating her now Wink

I joking said the same thing about Thompson and Swoopes last night.
Wont happen but..
and so much for Swoopes being washed up.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

lisa could say "i love the fans at rebkell" and she'd get crucified here Laughing

we don't "all" agree on much here... but one thing that i think rubbed everyone the wrong way was that swoopes didn't get the sendoff she deserved... i don't care if she sucks the rest of this season and the next... she deserves a farewell tour....

she DID look good today tho.... didn't she... Smile i hardly agree with wdltw on anything at all... but i think he's got the right idea with his post on whether seattle is kicking themselves right about now.... Laughing

nevermind the storm, we have a championship trophy, even without her. what about all the other teams who passed her up for a couple years? wouldn't give her a chance. any of them could have picked her up during that time. did they? no. maybe those are the folks who should be kicking themselves.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/29/11 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah. Apart from really regretting the way her time ended in Seattle, I don't regret not having her. I'm really happy that he body is feeling better now, and love what she's doing for the Shock. Fountain of Youth.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jesus christ man.... seattle misjudged... plain and simple... "we don't need her" is just sour grapes... and the way seattle just dumped swoopes was callous... i like seattle... but it was what it was....

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
jesus christ man.... seattle misjudged... plain and simple... "we don't need her" is just sour grapes... and the way seattle just dumped swoopes was callous... i like seattle... but it was what it was....

seems like you're mixing up your bb sense (seattle was supposed to carry her on the roster for over two years while she got back into shape? she wasn't contributing at the time. no one had a crystal ball to know that she would. the league had just dropped the roster size to 11.) with your emotions (distaste over how she was let go).

again, why not look at all the other teams that had the opportunity to pick her up, but didn't? if seattle is guilty of misjudgement, so are they.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:

At the beginning of the year, Swoopes was ordinary. It took quite a few games before she looked like she does now. No other team would have been able to wait for her to regain her form. The way she was let go was a bit harsh but Seattle did end up much higher without her than with her. The fact that she could not hook up with another team until now should also say something about how other teams viewed her potential.

psheehy

PostPosted: 08/29/11 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

I stick by my words. Once Leslie retired I became a fan because she no longer plays for LA. To top it off, I love any owner has put money into advancing the game. I can always praise the skills she displayed playing USA basketball. No love for current Sparks players here though.

1) Think about "what if?" he had gotten that lottery ball in 2015....
2) Remember to watch some NCAA games
3) Invest in mystical restorative ointments for hips, knees, backs and well everything.
cherrystreet

PostPosted: 08/29/11 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
jaye wrote:

At the beginning of the year, Swoopes was ordinary. It took quite a few games before she looked like she does now. No other team would have been able to wait for her to regain her form. The way she was let go was a bit harsh but Seattle did end up much higher without her than with her. The fact that she could not hook up with another team until now should also say something about how other teams viewed her potential.

The year Sheryl Swoopes was there she didn't hurt that team at all. That team was pretty good record wise. The truth of the matter is that had LJ not got hurt Swoopes probably would have received her fifth ring that year.

She was a good mentor for Tanisha Wright but I just feel like Brian Agler didnt have an attachment and didn't want to pay her that amount of money when he could start Wright and bring Svet plus another player for Swoopes. Its business so that's not the problem.

The problems was that Sheryl spent that whole time in stage play and helping Alger at a few camps and he didn't have the balls to let her know. But someone said lesson learn, don't underestimate the heart of a champion. Great that Swoopes is now starting to produce.

Genero36

PostPosted: 08/29/11 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
The year Sheryl Swoopes was there she didn't hurt that team at all. That team was pretty good record wise. The truth of the matter is that had LJ not got hurt Swoopes probably would have received her fifth ring that year.

She was a good mentor for Tanisha Wright but I just feel like Brian Agler didnt have an attachment and didn't want to pay her that amount of money when he could start Wright and bring Svet plus another player for Swoopes. Its business so that's not the problem.

The problems was that Sheryl spent that whole time in stage play and helping Alger at a few camps and he didn't have the balls to let her know. But someone said lesson learn, don't underestimate the heart of a champion. Great that Swoopes is now starting to produce.

I guarantee you that he has that kind of attachment to Katie Smith.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/29/11 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
cherrystreet wrote:

I guarantee you that he has that kind of attachment to Katie Smith.

He also has a much longer and more successful history with Katie Smith

Most people hate poetry
Genero36

PostPosted: 08/29/11 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Which is why I think he will have an attachment to her, irregardless of her lack of production this year.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/29/11 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Which is why I think he will have an attachment to her, irregardless of her lack of production this year.

Difference with Katie and her production was that her shot just wasnt falling early in the season(just like with Swin now) and Agler knew that was just a matter of time. She still provided very good defense, hustle plays etc. Now she has been picking up on the offensive end, shooting much better from the field.

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 08/29/11 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Difference with Katie and her production was that her shot just wasnt falling early in the season(just like with Swin now) and Agler knew that was just a matter of time. She still provided very good defense, hustle plays etc. Now she has been picking up on the offensive end, shooting much better from the field.

Actually, Swoopes and Katie are about the same player. With Swoopes have a very slight edge in points and rebounds. It really comes down to loyalty and like pilight said Agler knew can't and Swoopes not too much. It was just the way he handled it and then only two season later goes after a player that is about the same as the one he let go. I guess perception is everything because I think many believe KT to be the better player.

In my original post I wasn't trying to compare the two at all. Just saying the Storm probably would have likely won even if Swoopes was on the team or not.[/b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: