RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

we are not refugees
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cometsfan05

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:24 pm    ::: we are not refugees Reply Reply with quote

people for the last time those poor people in louisiana are not got damn refugees

a refugee is is an exile who flees from another contry, they did not they are americans they pay taxes just like everyone else and the media is not helping with the portrayl of these poor black people it seems like if a white person stole something they found it but if a black person is seen with something oh they looters lets get them it's ashame that my people meaning my black brother's and sisters were left there to die but that dumb governor of louisiana will get hers you basically left them people there to die I mean do you honestly think they would have stayed if they had the money and transportation to do so I dont think so

So I just wanted to say they are not fuckin refugees they are americans who need all the help and support they can get right now

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
ref·u·gee
n.
One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

Sounds fairly applicable to me.
And just FYI, they are not all Americans.

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Quote:
ref·u·gee
n.
One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

Sounds fairly applicable to me.
And just FYI, they are not all Americans.

I will refrain from making the comments I wanna make to you like I said you dont understand the situation any way so shut up you are probally one of those people who dont really care it happened im saying that because of the comment you just made but whatever dont bother me any way holla

sambista

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i hear what you're saying, cometsfan, and i respect your opinion. i could refer to this definition of the word:

ref·u·gee (rĕf'yʊ-jē') n.

[French réfugié, from past participle of réfugier, to take refuge, from Old French, from refuge, refuge. See refuge.]

but i'm personally using this word in the connotative sense, to reflect my anger at the way my people are being treated. they are being treated as refugees. as if they are not americans worthy of the highest level of attention, aid and relief.

if this offends you on a level that you find intolerable, i won't use it again. but i wanted to explain why i was using it.

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am so sorry I took it the wrong way totally I apologize I understand that this is hurting and dissapointing alot of people regardless or race color and gender it's just ashame and I think it hurts me more cause I am black and I want something done better than the way it was handled I respect your opinion and you Very Happy

sambista

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luuuc makes a good point, and i'm trying to see your point, too, cometsfan. i know people could rip my post, too, by arguing there are also white people in the flood zone. but we know what this is really about. it's about race and class and economics. still, doesn't make what luuuc has said untrue. in fact, i was flashing on the huge brasilian community (and some brasilians who live here in the u.s. know that they might not be "black" in brasil, but they sure as hell are here!). i just picked up a couple of brasilian papers yesterday, struggling to read what i could.

bottom line, it still comes down to race and class and economics. it is the reality of the united states. indeed, most of the world.

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Refugee = person seeking refuge. Is that not what is happening here?

Ohhhhh, snap! Cometsfan is offended by having their fellow Americans compared to the regular types of refugees you see, who are just worthless Africans, Asians, and so on... I get it... my bad.

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think a lot of us are stressed. i'm in the news business, and i've not had much sleep this week, not only working day hours and night hours but having this story so in my face nonstop that now it has kind of possessed me. even when i've gone to bed, i've left the tv on so i wouldn't miss anything. i called a colleague this morning, said i couldn't let this story go. she said, "you need to let it go" and advised me to get out of the house. that was two hours ago, and i'm still trying. so, apologies, and i'm gonna (try to) sign off for now.

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lord Luuuc has spoken!

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Ohhhhh, snap! Cometsfan is offended by having their fellow Americans compared to the regular types of refugees you see, who are just worthless Africans, Asians, and so on... I get it... my bad.

you can refrain making comments to me cause I dont care for what you have to say at this current moment

and you are worthless you piece of shit

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guess I put my foot in it, huh.

All I was trying to say is that a 'refugee' does not necessarily belong to any particular racial or economic category, it is just someone who needs help getting out of a situation.
IMO, any connotations you put on that word are due to your own prejudices.

I honestly didn't mean to come off as a "lord" of any sort Embarassed

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Chili, if we move Vietnamese, they are evacuees. If they come to us to be evacuated, they are refugees.

Sir, yes sir! Mad

However these people are labelled, they need help and lots of it. Blame and finger pointing can come later.

PostPosted: 09/03/05 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

you can refrain making comments to me cause I dont care for what you have to say at this current moment

and you are worthless you piece of shit

I beg to differ. I happen to know that Luuuc is worth at least a couple rounds of booze and a few laughs Wink

Razz

Seriously, this is a time of crisis for our country. I know tensions are high right now. The most important thing is that no matter who or what the people of New Orleans are labelled as, they are in dire need of help.

- Diana Taurasi

Last edited by thatGAgirl on 09/03/05 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 09/03/05 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The people displaced from this hurricane are refugees in my opinion. While they may not be taking refuge from religious or political persecution in a foreign country, they are taking refuge from the fact that they have nothing and that there are limited supplies/shelter and disease-ridden water everywhere that they have to wade through.

They are refugees at this point. They are seeking refuge from the harsh reality of having *nothing* left, except for their lives. They need food, water, shelter, somewhere to get clean, medicince, etc...that makes them no different than someone coming here to seek refuge from their home country. The people impacted by this hurricane need help, and a lot of it.

Last edited by BBallFanCT729 on 09/03/05 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slovydal

PostPosted: 09/03/05 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc was absolutely right. A bit harsh - but right.
The people fleeing N.O. are by definition refugees. Americans are so used to refugee meaning, "those poor people from far away that need our help" it's no wonder there was confusion as to what the term meant.

mikejofm

PostPosted: 09/03/05 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PEACE! They are displaced persons. They are our sisters and brothers, just like the displaced persons in Afaganastan and Iraq and Sudan and many other African and South American countries.

PostPosted: 09/03/05 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

This thread is even more pointless than the threads INTENDED to be fluff. Of all the things to discuss about New Orleans, people are worrying about the use of the word "refugee". Yeah, you have your priorities straight.
herrade

PostPosted: 09/05/05 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Of all the things to discuss about New Orleans, people are worrying about the use of the word "refugee".

language is important -- the words we use to describe things affect the way we understand them, and therefore the resources we apply to the situation. it's that old foucauldian notion of how discourse affects the material world. there's more to that process than a dictionary definition.

many people are concerned that using the term "refugee" is a means of "othering" the people affected by katrina. jessie jackson noted -- in very intellegent remarks about the subject -- that because "refugee" is so often used to apply to people who have been ejected from a country for political reasons, when used in the current situation it destabilizes the citizenship of those involved. it only adds to the sentiment of many political and social leaders that these are second-class citizens.

NPR has decided to use the term "evacuee", and i think that's a good move.

PostPosted: 09/05/05 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I subscribe to Luuuc's POV

Luuuc wrote:
All I was trying to say is that a 'refugee' does not necessarily belong to any particular racial or economic category, it is just someone who needs help getting out of a situation.
IMO, any connotations you put on that word are due to your own prejudices.

As well as the earlier one:

Quote:

FWIW, the term "refugee" has been repeatedly used in the news down here. In reference to all those fleeing the hurricane.
herrade

PostPosted: 09/05/05 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

two articles discussing jackson and others' comments re the refugee question:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/bal-te.refugees05sep05,1,7837078.story?coll=bal-news-nation

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16494573%255E1702,00.html

PostPosted: 09/05/05 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks - interesting reading.

To me though, it sounds like people from "developed" countries claiming that they can't have/be refugees because they're somehow inherently superior to the countries they perceive to have "real" refugees. I can understand their POV but I don't attach any baggage to the term "refugee" (and I'm probably in the minority) and I think they're fussing over nothing.
smenko

PostPosted: 09/05/05 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, Keegan, I believe it is the feeling of the evacuees who probably feel they should have the right to be called whatever they want or don't want. They do not wish to be called refugees. Political a statement as that may be. Perception has granted them the right to feel negative about the connotation. I, for one, believe that evacuees fit the description of their predictament just fine.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/05/05 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a political semantic game. Their needs are unchanged regardless of the terminology.

PostPosted: 09/05/05 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i sort of come down on the pilight/keegan side of this one.

Folks and the Baltimore Sun quoted one dictionary definition. But other dictionary definitions (starting with the OED) are broader, and would apply to this situation. Dictionary definitions are, as herrade says, not the end of the debate. But they do reflect the way people use words, and at least some of the time when people use the word, they mean something other than a victim of political oppression.

"Evacuee" is a fine alternative. But it actually sounds less serious than "refugee." I would think that, if we're trying to help these folks, we need to make this sound as serious as possible to impress on political leaders and everyone else how important it is to act.

Jessee Jackson said "To see them as refugees is to see them as other than Americans." I really don't see why that follows. Nor do I really agree with the herrade's descriptive claim that the use of the term, in a foulcauldian constructionist sense, destabilizes their citizenship.

I think the central point can be stated more simply, less esoterically.

The government (and society, and the media, or whatever you want to say) hasn't responded well enough or quickly enough. It hasn't treated the victims of this tragedy with the care they deserve. You can say that the poor treatment suggests that the government views them as less than full citizens...

... but more fundamentally, you can just say that the government views them as less than full humans. Calling them "refugees" as opposed to "evacuees," if it really has any significance, is really the least of the worries.

herrade

PostPosted: 09/05/05 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Nor do I really agree with the herrade's descriptive claim that the use of the term, in a foulcauldian constructionist sense, destabilizes their citizenship.

that was not my claim, but rather jackson's. my claim would be that these people were already rendered subcitizens by the structural conditions that had condemned them to lives of poverty before katrina hit. calling them refugees just underscores that fact.

the term "refugee" has always had a political connotation that did not apply to the initial displacing effects of the hurricane. given the federal government's mismanagement of the situation, however, it may soon be fitting to call the evacuees refugees.

the names society collectively gives to people are never insignificant. consider the charged shifts in meaning of terms like freedom fighter/terrorist, civil insurrection/war, looting/foraging, intelligent design/creationism, pro-life/anti-choice, morning after (or abortion) pill/emergency contraception, partial-birth abortion/d&x procedure. given the rhetorical battles perpetually fought on the nation's cable news networks, i would think that fact wouldn't escape any politically attentive person.

these are the questions you have to ask yourself: why did the media start calling those affected by katrina refugees rather than "victims", "evacuees," or "survivors"? what resonance does such a word have for the american public given recent historic-political events? which news sources and political leaders are using the term and in what context? how does the term "refugee" play into or work against the well-critiqued media depiction of katrina survivors as lawless blacks? what is at stake in such depictions?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: