RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WWC: USA vs. Brazil 7/10/11
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's going to win?
USA
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Brazil
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Scarab

PostPosted: 07/10/11 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a game! Still reeling over here. Just a testament to never giving up.

PostPosted: 07/10/11 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somehow, Erika's dramatics and then calling for a stretcher ... then popping right up outside the field and sprinting back in as the crowd howls in outrage leading directly to the US goal to tie the game... So appropriate.

Also, second goal by Brazil... That line is very generous to them (look at the US defenders' feet!) and still clearly offside.

[img]http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg739/scaled.php?tn=0&server=739&filename=w1ebl.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640[/img]

Link: http://yfrog.com/kjw1eblj

Last edited by kage on 07/10/11 3:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 07/10/11 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, what a game. I'm not a big soccer fan, but watched the men's cup last summer so I figured I'd put it on today. It did not disappoint! Probably the best soccer game I've ever seen... and there were dudes posting on facebook that they were taking back everything bad they've ever said about women's sports Laughing

USA!!!!

ucbart

PostPosted: 07/10/11 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
Wow, what a game. I'm not a big soccer fan, but watched the men's cup last summer so I figured I'd put it on today. It did not disappoint! Probably the best soccer game I've ever seen... and there were dudes posting on facebook that they were taking back everything bad they've ever said about women's sports Laughing

USA!!!!

Technically, yes, that was encrochment, but I have never seen it called that tightly. The part that gets me is that Marta should have won an Academy Award for that acting job. That wasn't even a foul on Beuhler, let alone something that warranted a red card. I think Erica should have been given a red card for what she did, personally.

kage

PostPosted: 07/10/11 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Calling it for encroachment was very harsh. Ref didn't help by calling it 15 seconds after the play was over and the AR was signaling for a Brazilian throw in!

Not to mention, foul should have been Marta's or no foul at all. Seriously. Oscar winning acting from her.

Defender has position on the ball after Marta does her flick.

Marta recklessly does a kung fu kick into the play from behind. OH, WELL DONE. Follow this with dramatics and whiny complaints. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, Abby! And Hope! Being happy!

BCBG25

PostPosted: 07/10/11 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How can you argue that was not a penalty if the defender caught all legs and no ball? You can argue the red card as that was not a clear goal situation, but to argue it wasn't a foul? If that was at midfield nobody would be even contesting it.
In the 2nd half the ref did not show a red card after a handball to a US player who had been carded already, but somehow that goes unnoticed.
The encroachment is like a travel. Just because it goes uncalled so many times it doesn't make it wrong to call it when it happens. It's in the rulebook and everything.
The US showed tremendous heart and the Brazilian players tried to kill time by doing stuff that seriously embarrass me as a fan, but being a soccer fan for a long time and not a once-in-4-years bandwagoner, that doesn't surprise me one bit. Annoying, yes, but it's done all the time in the men's game. I doubt anyone is rushing to inbound if their team is ahead. I don't condone faking injuries though, leave that to Argentina and Uruguay.
As usual, having a short goalie and a suspect defense did Brazil in and nothing the ref called or didn't call. But of course it would make the story a lot less compelling if the Americans didn't feel wronged somehow by forces outside their control...

PostPosted: 07/10/11 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
How can you argue that was not a penalty if the defender caught all legs and no ball? You can argue the red card as that was not a clear goal situation, but to argue it wasn't a foul? If that was at midfield nobody would be even contesting it.

Sure. I'll grant that no one would argue (because it wouldn't be worth it to spend ages dissecting it for a FK when there were a ton on both sides and I have no patience to dissect every single one of them either). Obviously, importance of the impact on the game invites greater scrutiny.

Second, relook at that second picture. Where is Marta's foot? Near the defender's knee. Where is the ball? In front of Marta's foot. Where is the defender's foot? Oh, look. Coincidentally, it is - horizontally that is - in front of Marta's foot and right below the ball. I'll grant that Marta's foot may have been pushed up by Buehler's own kick vertically, but hey, Buehler's foot is on the ball and if Marta's going to be doing spinning back kicks into a defender when the defender is trying to kick the ball, it happens.

Quote:
In the 2nd half the ref did not show a red card after a handball to a US player who had been carded already, but somehow that goes unnoticed.

Carli Lloyd and that was in the first half before Buehler got sent off. I noticed it. Most refs don't call that but hey, Brazil doesn't get shown a second yellow card either when a Brazilian tries to handball a ball back into play near the corner.

(That being said, I would have no arguments with CL being sent off if she had been called that. I would also have argued that studs up attack by Marta on Boxx should have been her second yellow too. That or the horse collar tackle.)

Quote:
The encroachment is like a travel. Just because it goes uncalled so many times it doesn't make it wrong to call it when it happens. It's in the rulebook and everything.

Which is why I said it was harsh not that it was wrong.

Quote:
The US showed tremendous heart and the Brazilian players tried to kill time by doing stuff that seriously embarrass me as a fan, but being a soccer fan for a long time and not a once-in-4-years bandwagoner, that doesn't surprise me one bit. Annoying, yes, but it's done all the time in the men's game. I doubt anyone is rushing to inbound if their team is ahead.

No, definitely not. Taking a little longer on FKs or goal kicks? Done by both sides and showed up in the England game against NZ too. That's annoying but expected.

(Although England managing to waste two minutes by slowly walking to the ball, look around aimlessly for a player, throw in, gain a FK, then have a huddle, followed by an intimidating stare down with a defender, stand around some more sucking in some breath, and then end without the FK ever being taken was certainly... Something.)

Quote:
I don't condone faking injuries though, leave that to Argentina and Uruguay.

That was just stupid and blatant. Yellow card definitely deserved.

Blatant.

Quote:
As usual, having a short goalie and a suspect defense did Brazil in and nothing the ref called or didn't call.

That's misleading when one of Brazil's goals is based off a retake on a PK, had the opponent team with a player off for 65 minutes, and the other goal is based on a clear offsides! Seems like a lot of ref calls and non-calls to me!

Quote:
But of course it would make the story a lot less compelling if the Americans didn't feel wronged somehow by forces outside their control...

Now, this is just petulant. Laughing

Last edited by kage on 07/12/11 3:24 am; edited 4 times in total
BCBG25

PostPosted: 07/10/11 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It wasn't an offside...it doesn't matter what I or you think. The several replays from CBC show that, not sure whether that was what the US broadcast picked up.

http://twitter.com/FOXSoccerTrax/status/90111812627996672

http://twitter.com/FOXSoccerTrax/status/90110895090446336

PostPosted: 07/10/11 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
It wasn't an offside...it doesn't matter what I or you think. The several replays from CBC show that, not sure whether that was what the US broadcast picked up.

I have a picture. LePeilbet is no. 6. The ball is just being kicked. The Brazilian in the very back who is about to receive the ball is clearly offside even with this very generous offside line (which is a feet or so off of LePeilbet's own feet). If you can bring a better and clearer picture showing the Brazilian onside, I will believe it.
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 07/10/11 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the injury faking was just plain tacky and only fired the crowd up even more in the USA's favor. I can understand laying on the field pretending to be hurt, but to be carried off on a stretcher to then just hop off? And people wonder why American's don't take soccer seriously. COME ON.

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 07/10/11 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You want to see diving at its finest? How bout I take you back to the 09 Asian Cup Juniors when the Young Matildas faced off against the home Chinese team ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qbuW6Nsi0

The game was capped off with a brawl, instigated when a Chinese player pushed an Aussie player to the ground, where she was kicked by members of the Chinese team ...

And the Aussies got the fine after all that diving and defending themselves, for unsportsman like conduct Rolling Eyes

Back on topic though, I missed the game cos it was on too late here in Aus (1am start, and I had a 7am work start today) ... sounds like it'd be an interesting one to watch though, so hopefully I'll be able to find it somewhere.

PostPosted: 07/10/11 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still chuckling at Boxx standing there waving for the flag while Marta walked right around her to score. Taurasi would be proud...

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/10/11 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
The US showed tremendous heart and the Brazilian players tried to kill time by doing stuff that seriously embarrass me as a fan, but being a soccer fan for a long time and not a once-in-4-years bandwagoner, that doesn't surprise me one bit. Annoying, yes, but it's done all the time in the men's game. I doubt anyone is rushing to inbound if their team is ahead. I don't condone faking injuries though, leave that to Argentina and Uruguay.
As usual, having a short goalie and a suspect defense did Brazil in and nothing the ref called or didn't call. But of course it would make the story a lot less compelling if the Americans didn't feel wronged somehow by forces outside their control...

No wonder people riot at soccer matches... So touchy Razz

It was a good game, and to quote Diana Taurasi... Arrow

"Brazil and they're dancing ways, they'll dance back to South America. I'm not worried about them."
Laughing

BCBG25

PostPosted: 07/10/11 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

I have a picture. LePeilbet is no. 6. The ball is just being kicked. The Brazilian in the very back who is about to receive the ball is clearly offside even with this very generous offside line (which is a feet or so off of LePeilbet's own feet). If you can bring a better and clearer picture showing the Brazilian onside, I will believe it.

The offside is not off your feet, it's the body projection, the line is crossing over both players, so you actually made my case (or anyone who saw the game from a different angle, Maurine's angle, saw that from that viewpoint, she seems to be a step behind #6). I don't have a screen shot because I wasn't DVR'ing the game.
Like most marginal offside calls, of which we saw a lot of at the men's World Cup and even this year's UCL final, the attacker usually benefits because everybody wants to see more goals. If we have to see it a few dozen times and can't still make up our minds, I don't expect the linesman to get it right 100% of the time.

PostPosted: 07/10/11 9:23 pm    ::: WWC: USA Brazil Reply Reply with quote

From Big Soccer

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forumblog.php?s=6709227b96b7156b24a2997a2a15615f&b=11740

Maybe a bit harsh, but .... Wink

PostPosted: 07/10/11 10:09 pm    ::: Re: WWC: USA Brazil Reply Reply with quote

Orion wrote:
From Big Soccer

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forumblog.php?s=6709227b96b7156b24a2997a2a15615f&b=11740

Maybe a bit harsh, but .... Wink

Link doesn't work...?

PostPosted: 07/10/11 10:46 pm    ::: WWC: USA Brazil Reply Reply with quote

http://www.bigsoccer.com/

Try this.

PostPosted: 07/11/11 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the replay.

Daiane was the one that put in the own goal.

She was the one that missed the PK.

I would hate to be her!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/11/11 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I took a look earlier to see how much a Hope Solo jersey would cost me.

Couldn't find ANY. Is that typical for goalie jerseys? I thought that maybe it was because of them being a different color than the rest of the team, that nobody wanted to carry the inventory for what might be a limited demand.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 07/11/11 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
But the United States, more than any other team, milks this underdog/come from behind/no one believes us/we play for each other nonsense. You would think the #1 ranked team in the world would occasionally deign to act like favorites, let alone play like them, but no USSF team ever takes the easy way.

ESPN's post-match coverage -- interviews with Wambach, Solo, Chastain, Foudy, even Hamm -- has certainly been themed heavily on the notion of American exceptionalism...

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/11/11 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I took a look earlier to see how much a Hope Solo jersey would cost me.

Couldn't find ANY. Is that typical for goalie jerseys? I thought that maybe it was because of them being a different color than the rest of the team, that nobody wanted to carry the inventory for what might be a limited demand.

Yes, you'll rarely see anyone wandering around in a goalkeeping jersey (although replicas are typically available). The uniform is the outfield jersey, and with soccer a fan is typically wearing his team's jersey more than a specific player's. It wasn't until the 90s that they even started using squad numbers and putting names on the back of the shirts - it used to just be 1-11 for the starting lineup and 12-onwards for the subs.

PostPosted: 07/11/11 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just hope they can at least stretch this out a bit and get toe the WC final game. If they lose in semi's, its going to be a MAJOR downer.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: