RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

brasilians in a battle of the bulge? tell me it's not true!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 01/13/05 1:29 pm    ::: brasilians in a battle of the bulge? tell me it's not true! Reply Reply with quote

Beaches for the Svelte, Where the Calories Are Showing
By LARRY ROHTER

Published: January 13, 2005

RIO DE JANEIRO, Jan. 6 - Fat Brazilians? In a body-conscious society whose gifts to global culture include the girl from Ipanema, the tanga bikini and Gisele Bündchen and other supermodels, the idea seems heretical. Yet a controversial government study released late last month confirms it: Brazil is experiencing an epidemic of obesity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/13/international/americas/13brazil.html?oref=login&8hpib

okay, SOME brasilians may be overweight, but they do NOT have cellulite. not like americans. that's one of the big giveaways.

PostPosted: 01/13/05 9:48 pm    ::: Re: brasilians in a battle of the bulge? tell me it's not tr Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

okay, SOME brasilians may be overweight, but they do NOT have cellulite. not like americans. that's one of the big giveaways.

Oh yes, we do. And newsflash, you don't have to be overweight.
All you need to do is drink 4 bottles of coke everyday, like I do lol

PostPosted: 01/14/05 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

don't even try, bcbg. i said "not like americans." nobody wears cottage cheese thighs like we do!

PostPosted: 01/28/05 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Better look at those pics again.

The New York Times is in hot water again. On Jan. 13, the paper ran a story by Larry Rohter on the spread of obesity and illustrated the story with pictures snapped by freelance photographer John Maier on the fabled Ipanema Beach in Brazil.
The only problem, the "fat" Brazilians depicted in the photos weren't Brazilians at all, but were visiting European tourists. At least that's what the Rio de Janeiro daily O Globo was reporting yesterday.

http://www.nypost.com/business/38943.htm

PostPosted: 01/30/05 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mel, you're backing this up with a story from the Post? What, you think you're Prof now? Smile

PostPosted: 01/30/05 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A fairly respectable newspaper (like The Times used to be) had already run the news here, so I'd already read it. I didn't think it'd make it to The Post, but I don't they'd miss a chance to take a shot at The Times. That's the kind of news they like.
With so much talk about hunger, to imagine there are more Brazilians overweight than starving, it's really something that challenges some government policies and priorities.
Not to mention it's a myth buster Wink

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: