RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

TV games: same old, same old...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/13/05 11:11 am    ::: TV games: same old, same old... Reply Reply with quote

Ok, so I was putting together my 3 teams' schedules in order to explore possibilities and trip dates.
I noticed a pattern that's really getting annoying. We need new plotlines, for real. I'm really tired of the same old stories on NYT...it's getting too predictable. And I only looked at NY, DC and CT's tv schedules.

Phoenix @ NY: ok, so what's the story this time? Last year this game was on national tv. Ok, first Taurasi visit to the Garden as a pro was it. Now what? First visit as reigning ROY? Trying to please UConn fanbase since we have no connections to them anymore? The same fanbase that has Becky starting because she's so UConn-ish...

NY @ Houston: the battle of the 4-times losers against the 4-time winners??? It'll be like that always until we lose one more final and then we'll up by 1!

Seattle @ NY: Sue Bird, the former Christ the King and UConn star, returns to her hometown, this time as a WNBA champion. Ok, this one has a new twist to it. I can see the headlines and the trade talk all over again.

NY @ CT: the rematch of the 2004 ECF finals. NY will have several ECF rematchs like that...

Indiana @ DC: two former Lady Vols going up against each other. For the 19893th time.

Phoenix @ CT: uh, duh.

Seattle @ CT: uh, duh and rematch of the Finals.

CT @ Minnesota. uh, duh. Again.

Seriously, I am TOTALLY disappointed with the schedule and tv schedule, but I guess that's what the majority wants.

PostPosted: 01/13/05 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll play devil's advocate and be the network guy for purposes of this discussion. First "flaw" in your logic is the same complaint I have had in the past, that it's the same old teams, but let me try to explain network thinking.

Phoenix @ NY: ok, so what's the story this time? Last year this game was on national tv. Ok, first Taurasi visit to the Garden as a pro was it. Now what? First visit as reigning ROY? Trying to please UConn fanbase since we have no connections to them anymore? The same fanbase that has Becky starting because she's so UConn-ish...

NY has been, is now, and will be one of the flagship franchises. If any team has fans throughout the country it's NY, that's why so much coverage. It is the biggest stage, and Diana is the "biggest player" in the eyes of the networks. She is the meal ticket, that men and women nationwide will watch. This is covered for the value of biggest player on biggest stage. Oh, and don't blame us UConn fans for Becky starting!

NY @ Houston: the battle of the 4-times losers against the 4-time winners??? It'll be like that always until we lose one more final and then we'll up by 1!

See NY comments above, now add Swoopes to the mix, and the fact Houston still has a rep as a national power in the non-real fans area. It is logical for the network to want to show Sheryl on the big stage.

Seattle @ NY: Sue Bird, the former Christ the King and UConn star, returns to her hometown, this time as a WNBA champion. Ok, this one has a new twist to it. I can see the headlines and the trade talk all over again.

Yes Bird comes home, but it's still the champions on the biggest stage. The Libs are considered network money as much as any team is. They will be milked.

NY @ CT: the rematch of the 2004 ECF finals. NY will have several ECF rematchs like that...

ECF rematch, opportunity to showcase Mohegan Sun, Eastern Conf finalists with exciting to watch Lindsay. Add in the network's burning desire to make this a local rivalry and you have a tv game.

Indiana @ DC: two former Lady Vols going up against each other. For the 19893th time.

Gotta show a couple of different teams, so let's see what kind of pull Alana may have, and we better put her against Miss "All American" from the USA Olympic team, Tamika. The Mique intrigue will add more spice. At least it gets the UT fans, if not any non-hardcore WNBA fans in the network eyes.

Phoenix @ CT: uh, duh.

I don't think I have to explain

Seattle @ CT: uh, duh and rematch of the Finals.

The Bird factor is more important than the finals to the networks. She gets the second biggest reaction of any returning player to CT. She has also not played her best in CT, and they will be looking to see "the big game" on national TV when it comes.

CT @ Minnesota. uh, duh. Again.

Last year this was not broadcast. It was an awesome game with a massive crowd turnout. The network won't miss that twice.

So, that's what I think they're thinking. I agree, it's not a great schedule by any means, and it would be nice to see a mix of teams. Where's LA, Detroit, etc?

BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/13/05 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's been always like that. It's not about the Liberty, it's about MSG.
And we won't have stars of mass appeal while Blaze is the GM, we'll always have superstars playing against us on our "big stage".

PostPosted: 01/13/05 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every team should wind up on TV at least once. But it looks like every team except SASS does, unless I missed something.

I agree that Conn at Lynx is a no-brainer: that game virtually sold out last year (we'll see if Lynx can make anything close to similar attendance without the day-camp kids, who accounted for several thousand tickets).

BCBG, if you put together the national TV schedule, with the same number of games on ABC and the same number on ESPN, which games would you choose? I'm serious.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/13/05 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd keep Indy/DC

That's always a good match-up. They bring out the best in each other.

LA/Sac should always be televised. They bring out the worst in each other - lol!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: