RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

W needs to fix playoff system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/30/05 5:36 pm    ::: W needs to fix playoff system Reply Reply with quote

http://msn.foxsports.com/wnba/story/4823818?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=90

The league made a smart move this year, extending the championship series to a best-of-five with a 2-2-1 format. But the first two rounds are best-of-three, which isn't so bad if it is a 1-1-1 format. But the league has a 1-2 format with the better team starting on the road then having the final two games on the road.

PostPosted: 08/31/05 7:03 am    ::: Re: W needs to fix playoff system Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/wnba/story/4823818?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=90

The league made a smart move this year, extending the championship series to a best-of-five with a 2-2-1 format. But the first two rounds are best-of-three, which isn't so bad if it is a 1-1-1 format. But the league has a 1-2 format with the better team starting on the road then having the final two games on the road.

Yep, if you have to play the first one on the road, then the next two on the road, I'd say that's a distinct disadvantage no matter what team got it.

PostPosted: 08/31/05 7:36 am    ::: Re: W needs to fix playoff system Reply Reply with quote

Wink

Actually I think the 1-2 playoff format is the best we can do until we can make all the playoff series best of five, which we shouldn't do until the league grows quite a bit.

A 1-1-1 series would mean another series of airplane trips for everybody on both teams-- not a negligible expenditure. It would also reduce the chance of a 3-game series, which you maximize by making the first game the one the underdog is most likely to win. And while the fatigue factor (from repeated commercial air travel) in just one 1-1-1 series probably doesn't matter much, a lower seed that has won two three-game 1-1-1 series is going to be significantly more fatigued from the back-and-forth travel than a higher seed-- enough to affect the outcome of the championship series.

1-2 isn't perfect, but as long as the teams fly commercial it's probably the best we can do.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/31/05 8:15 am    ::: Re: W needs to fix playoff system Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
A 1-1-1 series would mean another series of airplane trips for everybody on both teams-- not a negligible expenditure. It would also reduce the chance of a 3-game series, which you maximize by making the first game the one the underdog is most likely to win.

If we reduce the number of three game series, which happen in about 60% of the best-of-threes now, it will also reduce the travel cost increase.

Having the higher seed at home first will also help attendance. The Comets just clinched a playoff spot Friday and are hosting a playoff game Tuesday, and you wonder why they can't sell it out? Most people won't buy playoff tickets until the team has actually made the playoffs. Better to let the teams that clinched weeks ago have the early games, they'll have more lead time on ticket sales that way.

PostPosted: 08/31/05 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The team with home court already wins more than 75% of the time under the 1-2 format. How lopsided would series be if it's really hurting teams with home court?

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 08/31/05 10:22 am    ::: Re: W needs to fix playoff system Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If we reduce the number of three game series, which happen in about 60% of the best-of-threes now, it will also reduce the travel cost increase.

Having the higher seed at home first will also help attendance. The Comets just clinched a playoff spot Friday and are hosting a playoff game Tuesday, and you wonder why they can't sell it out? Most people won't buy playoff tickets until the team has actually made the playoffs. Better to let the teams that clinched weeks ago have the early games, they'll have more lead time on ticket sales that way.

You're right about attendance, but do we really want to reduce the number of three-game series? AND to do it in a way that further disadvantages lower-seed teams (by adding air travel and cumulative fatigue) if they force such series and win them?

To get more people to come to the lower seed's home game, it might be better to increase the time between the last reg-season game and the first playoff game. Or even to stop having playoff games on Tuesdays, though I suppose those decision involve TV networks' schedules as well (for all I know ESPN2 is grateful for the programming on a Tuesday, but might not want the W all day on Sat).

pilight

PostPosted: 08/31/05 10:25 am    ::: Re: W needs to fix playoff system Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
To get more people to come to the lower seed's home game, it might be better to increase the time between the last reg-season game and the first playoff game.

I would have waited until next Tuesday to start.

PostPosted: 08/31/05 10:40 am    ::: Re: W needs to fix playoff system Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
accommodatingly wrote:
To get more people to come to the lower seed's home game, it might be better to increase the time between the last reg-season game and the first playoff game.

I would have waited until next Tuesday to start.

Good idea.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/31/05 10:55 am    ::: Re: W needs to fix playoff system Reply Reply with quote

Both of the visiting teams seemed to do OK last night ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: