RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bye-bye New Orleans???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyk

PostPosted: 08/27/05 11:49 pm    ::: Bye-bye New Orleans??? Reply Reply with quote

I've heard since I was a little boy that if a hurricane big and strong enough hit New Orleans, that it would be flooded so bad that the city would be a goner.

Katrina's coming. We might just be a day and a half from finding out.

Look...at this map.

*shivers*

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/28/05 4:47 am    ::: Re: Bye-bye New Orleans??? Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
I've heard since I was a little boy that if a hurricane big and strong enough hit New Orleans, that it would be flooded so bad that the city would be a goner.

Katrina's coming. We might just be a day and a half from finding out.

Look...at this map.

*shivers*

That's been a nightmare scenario for over a century. For Miami too. But especially New Orleans. They've said that New Orleans is a sitting duck to be actually destroyed by the right storm.

PostPosted: 08/28/05 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, apart from the real threat to the living, thinking of all those above-ground tombs, the city itself in the aftermath could be downright gothic.

PostPosted: 08/28/05 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just updated...Katrina's sustained winds are at an unbelievable 175 miles an hour. I heard this morning that the gusts were going at 191. Wow.

If any of you have anyone down there...heaven knows I hope they're out by now. If it hits just west of New Orleans, that would be the worst, because the northeast quadrant of these things (which is where New Orleans would be in such a scenario) is the worst part.

They're talking storm surge of up to 30 feet. Wow.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 08/28/05 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The mayor has ordered a mandatory evacuation of the city, according to CNN.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 08/28/05 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bad thing is, some people can't get out. I think they're gonna house them all in the Superdome...if that helps.

sambista

PostPosted: 08/28/05 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my friend in seattle called, puzzling over how seriously disastrous this could be, but you wouldn't know it to look at "regular" tv. only when you go to something like cnn or msnbc do you realize there's a potentially devastating tragedy unfolding. she said no way would she hole up in the superdome - said it'd be like being trapped in a fishbowl. i would, but i'd be afraid the whole dome would start sinking; so i'd camp out in the rafters. well, maybe not right on top . . . new orleans is one of four cities in this country i consider so unique as to be little foreign countries of their own. naturally, i'm worried for the residents, but i also hope we don't lose that history and culture. it's such a special place.

PostPosted: 08/28/05 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
The mayor has ordered a mandatory evacuation of the city, according to CNN.

I don't know if my friend down there can evacuate. She works in a hospital. What do hospitals there do in emergencies such as this?

jimmyk

PostPosted: 08/28/05 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would imagine that they've flown anyone out who needs to be. Anyone else...gosh, I don't know. That's a really scary thought.

The pressure in that thing is still dropping...which means it's still strengthening. My heavens...this thing is unbelievable...wind gusts now are estimated up to 212. Oh, goodness...

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GIFS/HUIR.JPG

sambista

PostPosted: 08/28/05 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i keep catching snatches of "the day after tomorrow" on hbo, and it just seems that we're witnessing, piecemeal, weather events that are becoming more dramatic over time.

PostPosted: 08/28/05 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
i keep catching snatches of "the day after tomorrow" on hbo, and it just seems that we're witnessing, piecemeal, weather events that are becoming more dramatic over time.

Day After Tomorrow, eh? I'm watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Boy, would I like to see this movie on the big screen someday.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 08/28/05 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's 100,000 residents in New Orleans who don't have the finances & transportation to leave the city. There are thousands of visitors who will have to wait out the storm in high-rise hotels.

The city is 14 feet below sea level, and is bordered by two bodies of water. New Orleans is essentially a bowl, and with a 20-25' storm surge, it will be under water. That's bone-chilling.

We are potentially witnessing one of the worst weather disasters to strike in the United States, at least in recent history...and it's happening in a highly populated area.

For years throughout the summer, I would watch hurricane coverage on TV and think about how much damage a hurricane could cause. I don't even want to think what New Orleans and surrounding areas will look like come Tuesday. *shivers*

As FEMA officials have said, the worst case scenario for hurricane damage in the United States is a Category 5 hurricane hitting New Orleans dead on. As the mayor of New Orleans said, this is the storm that they have all been fearing down there.

My thoughts & prayers are with everyone who will be affected by this storm. I've had numerous family members live through hurricanes in Florida, but none as bad as this. May everyone be safe, and may there be limited or no casualties.

This is a storm, tragically, that will go down in the history books.

Damn Crying or Very sad

jersey_stupka

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 08/28/05 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

earlier this summer i read "Issac's Storm" which was written by the guy who did "Devil in the White City" (can't recall his name right now), but its a fascinating recounting of the monster hurrican of September 1900 that destroyed Galveston, Texas. There were no warnings as the National Weather Service was in its infancy, and they ignored the warnings of the Cubans who were quite good at dealing with huriicanes. and as they didn't have the modern satellites we have they didn't have a clue that the storm was gathering intensity over the Gulf of Mexico so the hurricane struck without warning on a Saturday morning. Quite a chilling event and story.

at least with Katrina...its being well watched. but everyone shd get the heck outta there. now.

PostPosted: 08/28/05 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pressure keeps going down...sustained winds are now at 184. Gusts well over 200.

Tropical Storm watches all the way up to Middle Tennessee.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 08/28/05 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A 902 pressure...that's 2 or 3 mb's lower than Camille, and Camille was a *strong* hurricane.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/28/05 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
There's 100,000 residents in New Orleans who don't have the finances & transportation to leave the city. There are thousands of visitors who will have to wait out the storm in high-rise hotels.

The city is 14 feet below sea level, and is bordered by two bodies of water. New Orleans is essentially a bowl, and with a 20-25' storm surge, it will be under water. That's bone-chilling.

We are potentially witnessing one of the worst weather disasters to strike in the United States, at least in recent history...and it's happening in a highly populated area.

For years throughout the summer, I would watch hurricane coverage on TV and think about how much damage a hurricane could cause. I don't even want to think what New Orleans and surrounding areas will look like come Tuesday. *shivers*

As FEMA officials have said, the worst case scenario for hurricane damage in the United States is a Category 5 hurricane hitting New Orleans dead on. As the mayor of New Orleans said, this is the storm that they have all been fearing down there.

My thoughts & prayers are with everyone who will be affected by this storm. I've had numerous family members live through hurricanes in Florida, but none as bad as this. May everyone be safe, and may there be limited or no casualties.

This is a storm, tragically, that will go down in the history books.

Damn Crying or Very sad

Absolutely. This is historical. The storm is just bizarre. Barometric pressures are lower than Camille and there's nothing to prevent it from strengthening even further. Heading STRAIGHT for New Orleans.

Get outta town! Leave yo gumbo on the stove and run!

As far as a domestic news story... it's going to be about that bad for the rest of us. God help the people whose lives are going to be changed or taken by this storm, but it could put a hit on the WNBA playoffs as well because the storm is going to rake the entire middle of the country with flooding. It could make traveling anywhere difficult.

Not saying it will, but it could.

PostPosted: 08/28/05 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as a domestic news story... it's going to be about that bad for the rest of us. God help the people whose lives are going to be changed or taken by this storm, but it could put a hit on the WNBA playoffs as well because the storm is going to rake the entire middle of the country with flooding. It could make traveling anywhere difficult.

Not saying it will, but it could.

I remember a couple of years ago when at least 1 , maybe 2 Comets games were postponed/moved (?) when a hurricane was down there. flooded the basement. (this is obviously a vague recollection)

PEACE
sambista

PostPosted: 08/28/05 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Get outta town! Leave yo gumbo on the stove and run!

this certainly isn't a laughing matter - maybe it's whistling in the dark - but that line gave me a chuckle, jammer. you best believe some folks in new orleans are gonna be grabbin' some garlic or whatever other little fixins might make for a good-luck potion in the coming days. (i've never visited a city that had stores where i was too scared to go inside!)

PostPosted: 08/28/05 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow, just imagine the households who don't have tv and (i don't know how but it's certainly possible) have no idea what's coming. i'm guessing they sent trucks out with speakers and stuff, but still, there must be some remote areas that are at risk, just beyond new orleans proper.

PostPosted: 08/28/05 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All day I have been praying for the people in the path of Katrina. If they haven't gotten out or are holed up in the city trying to weather this monster storm prayers are all that's left at this point. We can help after the storm passes.

sambista

PostPosted: 08/28/05 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

damn. people are hunkering down in shrimp boats in houma, la., because they say they can't afford to do anything else. where's the regional evacuation plan? why isn't the national guard trucking these folks, as they would troops, to safety, even if they have to sleep outdoors (vs. lose their lives)?

oh. i forgot. the national guard is . . . occupied.

PostPosted: 08/28/05 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just heard from The Weather Channel that the Superdome can withstand winds up to 200 miles an hour.

So I gather that's why people are going there.

Katrina has weakened just a bit, and could be only a Category 4 when it hits.

Only...wow. I can't believe I'm saying that a Cat 4 is Only a 4. Incredible.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 08/28/05 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is getting rough in New Orleans. Tropical storm force winds are there, but it's gonna get much, much worse.

Katrina's maximum sustained winds at 160mph now. Gusts to 196. Pressure keeps inching upward...now at 904 mb...up from the 902 from earlier, but still one of the top five storms to ever hit here.

Just heard a report from a buoy out in the water reporting waves 33 feet high. *shudder*

Thoughts and prayers go out to anyone who is there or has interests down there.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/28/05 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/28/katrina.doomsday/index.html

This is scary shit.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 08/28/05 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is just horrible.

My thoughts & prayers are with everyone involved.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: