RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Back from Porsche Driving Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herrade

PostPosted: 08/25/05 7:36 am    ::: Back from Porsche Driving Experience Reply Reply with quote

Monday morning I was in the sleepy New England town of Mystic, Connecticut. Monday night I fell asleep in Birmingham, Alabama. Tuesday, I was on one of the top five tracks in the world driving a Porshe Carerra S at very high speeds.

My friend and I took the one-day high-performance porshe driving course at the Barber Motosports Park. I can't say enough about the course, the instructors, the track and the amazing automobiles we got to experience. The students consisted of about 20 good ol boys and me. The instructors were experienced racing drivers, including Hurley Haywood! The students were broken into 4 groups and rotated around a number of different activities: autocross, skid-pad, track time.

Our group first headed to the autocross. I was a bit wimpy at first -- driving someone else's pristine 2005 Boxter is a bit intimidating. Then, we went down to the skidpad, where I kicked ass in a Carerra. My considerable experience driving in snow and ice helped quite a bit. We had gotten a lesson on the causes and corrections of understeer and oversteer, but when I was in the car and the back end started to swing out, I didn't think -- my feet just did the work.

Then, it was to the track where we got the hang of the line in some delicious 2005 Carerras. Barber is a challenging course -- tons of turns and elevation changes make it a bit intimidating for the newbie.

After lunch, we headed back to the autocross where our team competed in a relay-type fashion against other teams. I'm sure some of the guys were thinking they should get a handicap for me, but I handled myself well, and our team took first place! We beat all the other groups -- which included some professional drivers -- by a healthy margin.

Then, we did a bigger autocross in a Cayenne. Wow. You can't call those machines SUVs -- they are high performance racing machines. They are so powerfull, so stable, so smart. I would love to go back and do their two-day Cayenne course, because we only got a glimpse of everything they could do. Truly impressive automobiles.

Finally, back on the track in the Carerra S. After all our experience that day, the track was much easier, and we were easily doing 110 on the straightaways. Coming out of the corkscrew turn and throwing those babies into fourth was like a rollercoaster ride. Amazing. Just when we were feeling good about ourselves, our instructors took us for a turn around the track at racing speeds. Wow.

This was easily one of the most exciting experiences of my life. If you like cars, speed, or some combination thereof, and you've got the cash to spare, get yourself to Birmingham!

http://www.porschedriving.com/
http://www.barbermotorsports.com/

PostPosted: 08/25/05 3:53 pm    ::: Re: Back from Porsche Driving Experience Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
Then, we did a bigger autocross in a Cayenne. Wow. You can't call those machines SUVs -- they are high performance racing machines. They are so powerfull, so stable, so smart. I would love to go back and do their two-day Cayenne course, because we only got a glimpse of everything they could do. Truly impressive automobiles.

I had a feeling you'd come to understand the appeal of those Cayennes... Razz Arrow

Before I bought my 'machine', I went on a similar excursion, but for Mercedes, not Porsche. It was using the souped-up ML55 SUV and certainly influenced my decision to buy. Technology-wise, the Cayenne is better, but it was not even close to being out at the time. And, of course, it costs ~$30k more... If you get the Turbo that is. Next year Porsche will come out with a 500hp version to compete with the new ML, which will probably top out at 450. That engine will be so pumped up I believe they'll be calling that Cayenne the 'Rafael Palmeiro Edition'. Razz

herrade

PostPosted: 08/25/05 4:02 pm    ::: Re: Back from Porsche Driving Experience Reply Reply with quote

mercedes?! bah! porsche is the real deal!

Admiral_Needa wrote:
I had a feeling you'd come to understand the appeal of those Cayennes... Razz Arrow

i would never buy a cayenne, nor would i want one as a gift. they're fun to drive for a day, and they are really impressive. but i would take a carerra, or even a boxter, over a cayenne in a heartbeat.

of course, i think i'll stick with my little VW for a while. great gas mileage, and practical city driving.

btw, admiral, don't ever turn off your PSM. i didn't need it in the carerra, but it saved my ass in the cayenne. they say it should only be turned off if it malfunctions or you're stuck in sand or snow.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: