RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team WikiLeaks? Nothing but repugnant terrorists.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclair

PostPosted: 12/08/10 10:15 pm    ::: Team WikiLeaks? Nothing but repugnant terrorists. Reply Reply with quote

Fire fire fire. Discuss.

PostPosted: 12/08/10 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right, releasing a bunch of words is the same as hijacking an airplane or blowing up a building.

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 12/08/10 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like this will be a short thread, then. Wink

TonyL222

PostPosted: 12/08/10 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Right, releasing a bunch of words is the same as hijacking an airplane or blowing up a building.

Rolling Eyes

It's possible that the words released can reveal contacts, methods, procedures, and get people killed. I'm not sure I would use the term "terrorist", though.

PostPosted: 12/08/10 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Why do terrorists hijack a plan or blow up a building? To create chaos in society. To prove that they've got big dicks.

Orchestrated disruptions of service? Releasing of nuclear code options? Why do you suppose Assange started this thing? I say, it was about ego and throwing his weight around. Creating chaos in society. Now that he's been arrested, he's off to prove that his dick is the biggest of all through his minions.

PostPosted: 12/09/10 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eclair wrote:
pilight wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Why do terrorists hijack a plan or blow up a building? To create chaos in society. To prove that they've got big dicks.

Orchestrated disruptions of service? Releasing of nuclear code options? Why do you suppose Assange started this thing? I say, it was about ego and throwing his weight around. Creating chaos in society. Now that he's been arrested, he's off to prove that his dick is the biggest of all through his minions.

Or it could be that you're looking at it through what YOUR motivations might be and his actually might be nobler. Just sayin'. As for me, I haven't decided what I think of him at this point. A puzzle of freedom of the press, transparency, and security. Though I'm not quite convinced that security is as much at risk as some egos.

PostPosted: 12/09/10 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Anonymous and WikiLeaks are formally affiliated. Anonymous doesn't formally ally with anybody. But when they sympathize with someone, that someone's enemies better watch out.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 12/09/10 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Rolling Eyes

It's possible that the words released can reveal contacts, methods, procedures, and get people killed. I'm not sure I would use the term "terrorist", though.

If it was that important, we would have had tighter security on it.

PostPosted: 12/09/10 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Rolling Eyes

If it was that important, we would have had tighter security on it.

Inside job (Ft Levenworth is in this kids future). Never the less, it IS important and security should be tighter. Lax security doesn't excuse espionage.

PostPosted: 12/09/10 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am taking a bit different angle on all of this.

What happened is bad in itself.

What concerns me even more is that it (the event) happened.

Someone got into something they shouldn't have and is creating a lot of trouble.

I'm going to take that one step further.

Anyone hear of the term "CLOUD"?

That's were we use applications not local and potentially store all of our data as well out on the cloud.

It is a big sales thing right now. We have people drooling over this at my company.

Well. now if all your data is out on the Cloud and it gets hacked or taken down....your company or if it is your own data, you could be screwed.

Now if most companies go this route including governments, etc. No terrorist will need to bomb anywhere. Crash the cloud and it brings everything to a halt.

I don't think it is farfetched at all. People have brought down paypal because of wikileaks scandel.

I don't ever want my data just on a cloud. Backup locally imo.

Think if they knock down the communication carriers, etc.

I do think something bad like this will happen. Been in the field over 20 years with emphasis on computer security before most people even realized what that meant.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
pilight

PostPosted: 12/09/10 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://sowhyiswikileaksagoodthingagain.com/

PostPosted: 12/09/10 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting take on a Wiki leaks side story/character....

http://www.examiner.com/law-enforcement-in-national/wikileaks-leaker-to-be-honored-as-hero-california

....with a bizarrely unfinished ending.... Shocked

Quote:
While the President Barack Obama and his administration are calling for an end to the Bill Clinton-initiated "don't ask, don't tell" policy for gays and lesbians in the U.S. military, most Americans are being told only half the story.

Hmmm. Question

PostPosted: 12/10/10 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:

Someone got into something they shouldn't have and is creating a lot of trouble.

That's were we use applications not local and potentially store all of our data as well out on the cloud.

It is a big sales thing right now. We have people drooling over this at my company.

Well. now if all your data is out on the Cloud and it gets hacked or taken down....your company or if it is your own data, you could be screwed.

Now if most companies go this route including governments, etc. No terrorist will need to bomb anywhere. Crash the cloud and it brings everything to a halt.

I don't think it is farfetched at all. People have brought down paypal because of wikileaks scandel.

I do think something bad like this will happen. Been in the field over 20 years with emphasis on computer security before most people even realized what that meant.

Yet they want me to put all our patients medical records including personal identifiers in a database (personal health record) that can be accessed by all the patient's caregivers, third party payers and the federal and state government. If you think that can be done and still be secure from a human factors standpoint, much less a technical one, you have WAY too much faith in both computers and people.

Notwithstanding the fact that standards for interchange have not even been developed yet we are plunging headlong into this brave new world. Count on hearing about serious wholesale leaks of health and related financial information in the not distant future. As for me, I will drag my feet as long as I can, but there will be no avoiding putting all our patients records out there in the next few years and there will be no avoiding leaks of information.

PostPosted: 12/10/10 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:

Your description of "Cloud computing" is a phenomenological one - data just "out there" floating in this ubiquitous cloud. For us old timers, cloud computing is not much more than a modern extension of a centralized computing and storage platform (like the old mainframes), some remote acces terminals with limited computing power(like the old dumb terminals now called network appliances), and some mechanism to link the two - the Internet (public clouds) or intranets (private clouds).

There are many security concerns inherent with cloud computing. But in many ways it offers better security. Instead of vital data scattered across literally millions of persoanl computers - each providing a looslely controlled access point for hackers, sabatours, and espionage - you centralize the data, applications, and computing power; and provide access devices with limited storage, controlled funtions, no ports for external storage, action logging etc.

With the data centrally stored you can put up multiple rings of security protections. I like to visualize it like a aircraft carrier strike group. When a Navy aircraft carrier moves into a region - it's more than just the carrier. It's a flotilla of frigates, destroyers, cruisers, and attack subs so that the carrier is protected from below, surface, and the air through multiple layers.

The biggest issue with cloud computing - especially public clouds - is your dependence on the cloud for access to data, applications, and services. As seen over the last few days, even some pimply faced kids can launch "denial of service" attacks. At best these are annoyances. At worst, they can cripple an entity's ability to operate. There are other, greater threats than this though (google the term "Advanced Persistent Threat").

Last edited by TonyL222 on 12/10/10 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/10/10 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
The biggest issue with cloud computing - especially public clouds - is your dependence on the cloud for access to data, applications, and services. As seen over the last few days, even some pimply face kids can launch "denial of service" attacks. At best these are annoyances. At worst, they can cripple an entity's ability to operate. There are other, greater threats than this though (google the term "Advanced Persistent Threat").

I just googled that term 7 million times in the last 3 minutes and got nothing.

*shrugs*

PostPosted: 12/10/10 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Advanced Persistent Threat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Persistent_Threat

http://www.mandiant.com/services/advanced_persistent_threat/

PostPosted: 12/10/10 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Interesting take on a Wiki leaks side story/character....

http://www.examiner.com/law-enforcement-in-national/wikileaks-leaker-to-be-honored-as-hero-california

....with a bizarrely unfinished ending.... Shocked

Quote:
While the President Barack Obama and his administration are calling for an end to the Bill Clinton-initiated "don't ask, don't tell" policy for gays and lesbians in the U.S. military, most Americans are being told only half the story.

Hmmm. Question

Having read the story and noticed all of the references to Manning being gay and liking "lesbian activist" Rachel Maddow, I think what he's trying to say is that gays and lesbians are security risks and that we shouldn't let them in the military. On the other hand, he may just think gays and lesbians are icky. It's hard to be sure.

Barrister15

PostPosted: 12/10/10 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I may very well be the only person that doesn't give a damn (or isn't really following) this whole Wikileaks thing.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 12/10/10 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
I think I may very well be the only person that doesn't give a damn (or isn't really following) this whole Wikileaks thing.

Me either except to the extent I see a couple of dichotomic political themes emerging.

1) The leftists are celebrating the act while simultaneously ignoring the obvious perfidious guilt of the Obama administration

2) Right wing nuts are focused on castrating the perpetrators while ignoring the obvious political themes out there to be exploited to their advantage... for now.

All in all I think the Wikileaks crowd has lost and lost badly. Certainly with the American people. They may be corrupt and incompetent govt. officials but dammit, they are ours so butt out.

This is why the "world hates us because" theme never gains any traction with the American people. Most just don't care what the rest of the world really thinks. And that is the way diplomacy is actually played. The whole point of it is national interest, and every national government plays that way. Except when you get some empty suit in charge...

So this is really about nothing, except to the extent sources are exposed or endangered. This is just criminal. So that is why I would like to see the whole espionage thing pursued here. Otherwise this will just keep happening.

Or just add some of these Wikileaks guys to the predator drone target list Mr. President ...

PostPosted: 12/10/10 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The funny thing to me is that the people who are most up in arms about this are the same ones who insist that there's no right to privacy...

PostPosted: 12/10/10 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The funny thing to me is that the people who are most up in arms about this are the same ones who insist that there's no right to privacy...

and who is it that insists that there's no right to privacy?

PostPosted: 12/10/10 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Pick a Republican, any Republican

PostPosted: 12/10/10 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Pick a Republican, any Republican

Oh yea, that is why they hate folks like the defunct Air America or Keith Olberman, or Chris Matthews, or so. Republicans believe that the more they let leftists talk, the deeper they dig themselves. Pus leftists are just frigg'n funny.

Republicans don't hate the left, they love em, especially when they talk.

Have you seen the Protest Warrior videos. They are frigg'n hilarious. Way better than anything you can find on the Tea Party.

Have you read Coulter's columns, books? She LOVES the left. She loves the NY Times, that is why she quotes them and belittles them every week.

If the left wing didn't talk, she would have to sell that boney rear end of hers.

But just for fun, let's keep score.

Let's play a game called put up, or shut up.

You guys can go first, and this won't take long because right wing blogs, pretty much all of them, bag and tag this sort of thing. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/10/10 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:

You guys can go first, and this won't take long because right wing blogs, pretty much all of them, bag and tag this sort of thing. Laughing

(Oh, they DOOO, do they??)

Using your hunting metaphor, I say Van and Other Right Wingers, then, have little dicks. Yes, that's right. Small penises.

This story....(and many of Van's anecdotes)...

http://www.free-press.biz/usa/testosterone.htm

...in the light of THIS story...

http://dmgd.org/

....proves my point. Cool

PostPosted: 12/10/10 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

(Oh, they DOOO, do they??)

Using your hunting metaphor, I say Van and Other Right Wingers, then, have little dicks. Yes, that's right. Small penises.

This story....(and many of Van's anecdotes)...

http://www.free-press.biz/usa/testosterone.htm

...in the light of THIS story...

http://dmgd.org/

....proves my point. Cool

I see you can't win the game so you attack the messenger.

With respect to your small penis reference. I guess that means you must be a big dick.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: