RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Laptop, Desktop or Other?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaceplease

PostPosted: 08/22/05 5:03 pm    ::: Laptop, Desktop or Other? Reply Reply with quote

So what kind of computer do you use? Style, make, model, anything and everything. I am looking to learn more and thought I would ask some of the smartest folks that I know. Share whatever you want about your computer....home, work, cell phone, PDA, whatever!
Thanks for your input.
Smile

PEACE
pilight

PostPosted: 08/22/05 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At home I use an HP desktop.

PostPosted: 08/22/05 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

at work, compaq evo desktop. philips 180/b2 20" lcd monitor. win2k professional. mozilla firefox/eudora (which i can't stand, but we have security issues with outlook. diddling with lotus notes, but it's very clugey, doesn't play nice with other email programs, far as i can see.) steady freddie.

at home, ibook g4 w/12" screen. 60gb, 800mhz (i know - it's almost ancient). mac os 10.3.9 (panther). mozilla firefox/office 2004 for mac w/entourage (which i LOVE). also, virtual pc w/windows xp, which i thought i might need but never have. my workhorse, my digital hub (music, photo editing, video editing) and my most favorite toy, all at once.

also at home, ibm thinkpad x22 w/12" screen. windows xp. mozilla firefox/eudora. my workhorse, unadorned.

oh, okay, cheryl, remember that you asked for all of it! and i'm for anything to keep the monday gremlins at bay.

external drives are lacie d2s, usb/firewire. 80gb and 200gb. they work like a charm, don't heat up, stackable, durable and come with free backup software, silverkeeper.

printer's a pedestrian canon i850, but it does what i need it to do and i'll prolly never ask it to do photos. amazingly quiet and well-behaved, after years of putting up with noisy, balky epsons.

after years with an old handspring pda, traded up to tungsten t5 when they were giving away everything, including wi-fi cards and refunds for turning in your old equipment. love the t5. love it, love it, love it, and love that i can play the sopranos skit from "mad tv" on it with sound and everything. what i hate: that palmone has abandoned mac users, and it'll prolly be my last palm. i just had to pony up for "the missing sync" software because the t5 and entourage weren't playing nice, and i prefer it over apple mail.

if i could buy a new computer, i'd get a new mac, but maybe a powerbook this time. but i'd stick with a laptop as my primary puter because i don't see a need for a desktop model. if i had to buy a new pc laptop, it'd be a new thinkpad, prolly an r40. the thinkpads are real workhorses. not fancy but functional.

Last edited by sambista on 08/22/05 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/22/05 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My personal computer is an IBM Thinkpad. Windows 95, Office 97, AOL 4.0 with a busted 28K internal modem. It's older than dirt, or at least Jordan Swoopes. But it has a floppy drive, and it only freezes once a month, so I'm happy.

My Internet-enabled computer is a Compaq Presario, Windows XP, Office 2003, big ol' HP Pavilion monitor, HP Deskjet wireless printer that doesn't talk to the computer.

My dream computer, which I had my first year of college and which set the tone for my game reports, is/was an iBook. I took that thing everywhere. I even took it to Connecticut for a road game. I still dream about it.

PostPosted: 08/22/05 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okay, like, i promise this'll just be one more post singing praises that relate to apple. one is about the airport extreme, apple's wireless hub. it enables my ibook to talk to my printer wirelessly (queenie's fault, reminding me!) and, of course, makes my ibook wireless. but best of all, it allows me to play my stereo via itunes on my ibook. it's road-ready, being a small brick of roughly about 3x2x1 inches, which plugs directly into the socket.

the other is also queenie's fault (sorry!): i thought it was so cool that my nephew's college loaned him and his classmates ibooks in their last two years of school, then let them keep them upon graduation. his ibook is more souped up than mine, and it's a 14-incher! of course, his dad says, wull, yeah, after the tuition i paid, i basically bought the thing. but they didn't have to do that. i thought it was really cool.

okay, i'm done.

PostPosted: 08/22/05 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Me too. I use to use a Compaq (hated it).

sambista

PostPosted: 08/22/05 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mysticsfan07 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Me too. I use to use a Compaq (hated it).

and now they are one and the same . . .

PostPosted: 08/22/05 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

oh, okay, cheryl, remember that you asked for all of it! and i'm for anything to keep the monday gremlins at bay.

That was one of my ideas by starting this thread. That and I knew that you would have alot of info cause you love your computers.
Do they have names? Laughing
I am afraid to try anything apple because I think I would be hooked and then I would have to spend alot of money and yada, yada,ya...........
i'm not sure what wi-fi is, but have heard of it. That was another thing about this thread. I DON'T know alot and thought tonight would be an ideal time to research it.
Thanks for your very thorough answer. Wink

PEACE
sambista

PostPosted: 08/22/05 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

to borrow some definitions from the web, wi-fi is short for wireless fidelity and is meant to be used generically when referring of any type of 802.11 network. but basically, it means you can connect to the internet wirelessly. pda's have a card slot, into which you can now insert a wi-fi card. then, with software developed specifically for the pda, you can essentially surf the web and/or retrieve your email wherever your wi-fi card can pick up a "hotspot" (a place providing the connection), like starbucks, the airport, etc.

PostPosted: 08/22/05 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm currently on another desktop from Gateway, and I'm liking it so far. I've got a Palm Tungsten E as well, but I haven't figured out how to get it attached to internet yet. Yeah...if you can help, message me on that one.

I have a cell phone, which is attached to AIM. That's good for vacations...and when I'm at the Sting game Saturday and need updates about the other two games that will be going on at the same time.

And yeah...I've got the wonderful iPod, too. If only my computer would agree that it's wonderful. Because if I sneeze the wrong way when connecting said iPod, the computer reboots. Grrr. Another thing that I would enjoy figuring out.

So yeah...I'm techie boy if I ever get them all figured out.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/22/05 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At work my trusty Toshiba Satellite was stolen from the office a few months ago so I now have an ASUS notebook running XP Professional. No, I haven't heard of ASUS either, but it does have a big 1400 x 1050 screen, DVD burner, built-in memory card reader, Wi-Fi, Firewire port, webcam, and a 60GB HDD (most of which is now occupied by MP3s & DivX movies). Performs very well, but I don't trust it so it gets a full backup every month.

At home I have a "select your own components" type PC from my local computer store, which I have since tinkered with to the point that the case and the first hard drive are about the only original bits still remaining.
The fun things on it are the High-Definition Digital TV card - used with the DVD burner to create 'personal backups' of my favourite TV shows, and the broadband modem - handy for downloading TV series that haven't aired in Australia yet and of course viewing WNBA webcasts.

PostPosted: 08/22/05 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my new baby is a Dell dimension 3000 with the super multimedia package

UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor
SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit Sound Card w/surround sound speakers
DVD drive.......CD burner
Dell Digital Jukebox 30GB (ipod type device)
Dell Photo Printer 540

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology (3GHz, 800 FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition

ZYXEL 600series ADSL modem

had to copy this cause I have no idea what it all really means

PostPosted: 08/22/05 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
I've got a Palm Tungsten E as well, but I haven't figured out how to get it attached to internet yet. Yeah...if you can help, message me on that one.

jimmyk, if i have found the right info, here's the bottom line re getting your tungsten e web-ready: "Access to e-mail, Internet, SMS and dialling features require a compatible GSM/GPRS mobile phone. E-mail and Internet features require an Internet account. (All sold separately)." apparently, the device's low power can't accommodate (or rather, palm doesn't support) the palmone wi-fi card for connecting to the web. but i think if you have the right kind of phone, getting on the web would work like earlier versions of palms, where you connected the pda to the phone for the dial-up. palm has its own pda web-browsing software called blazer, which may or may not already be on your device. that kind of hookup does eat up a lot of juice quickly, as does the wi-fi card.

PostPosted: 08/22/05 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've got a Dell, I'm almost ashamed to say. But it was a good deal a couple of years ago and I got it loaded.

P4 2.4 gig
512 rambus DRAM
2 DVD drives, one player and one burner.
19 LCD SAMSUNG SyncMaster 191t.
Windows 2K Pro

Offline I have a refurbished IBM Thinkpad that I do all my writing on. Incredble tool for that. Go to IBM and you can pick up many slim and powerful refurbished Thinkpad models in the area of $400-$800. Can't beat 'em. They just feel like a professional tool. The key strike is astounding for a laptop and for me, that's very important. Most laptops have a very shallow and poorly padded keystrike and that really kills the mood.

PostPosted: 08/22/05 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
I've got a Dell, I'm almost ashamed to say. But it was a good deal a couple of years ago and I got it loaded.

P4 2.4 gig
512 rambus DRAM
Windows 2K Pro

Offline I have a refurbished IBM Thinkpad that I do all my writing on. Incredble tool for that. Go to IBM and you can pick up many slim and powerful refurbished Thinkpad models in the area of $400-$800. Can't beat 'em. They just feel like a professional tool. The key strike is astounding for a laptop and for me, that's very important. Most laptops have a very shallow and poorly padded keystrike and that really kills the mood.

that's an apt description of the thinkpad, jammer. i also understand that samsung monitor is a great value. do you like it?

PostPosted: 08/22/05 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

P4 2.4 gig
512 rambus DRAM
Windows 2K Pro

that's an apt description of the thinkpad, jammer. i also understand that samsung monitor is a great value. do you like it?

It's been good. It's nice and big and it's sharp as hell with good colors. Didn't get the extended Good Guys warranty and the damn screen is like seperating from the frame. They want so much for those EWs. I with I had it cause I'd get a new one. Smile

PostPosted: 08/22/05 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
It's been good. It's nice and big and it's sharp as hell with good colors. Didn't get the extended Good Guys warranty and the damn screen is like seperating from the frame. They want so much for those EWs. I with I had it cause I'd get a new one. Smile

hmmm. not exactly a ringing endorsement.

PostPosted: 08/22/05 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

jimmyk, if i have found the right info, here's the bottom line re getting your tungsten e web-ready: "Access to e-mail, Internet, SMS and dialling features require a compatible GSM/GPRS mobile phone. E-mail and Internet features require an Internet account. (All sold separately)." apparently, the device's low power can't accommodate (or rather, palm doesn't support) the palmone wi-fi card for connecting to the web. but i think if you have the right kind of phone, getting on the web would work like earlier versions of palms, where you connected the pda to the phone for the dial-up. palm has its own pda web-browsing software called blazer, which may or may not already be on your device. that kind of hookup does eat up a lot of juice quickly, as does the wi-fi card.

Hmmm. I've got a mobile phone...but I doubt it's compatible. Not to mention then sorting out all the Internet account stuff. Not worth it.

Especially since playing solitaire seems to sap the crap out of the batteries. Don't even mention using the thing where you can edit Word and Excel documents. One thing I'm definitely not happy with in terms of this thing, the battery life sucks. I'm happy with it, otherwise...it does what I need it to do.

I'd only have a real use for it a few times a year, so I think I'll stick with using my cell phone and have a buddy send me updates via AIM that way.

sambista

PostPosted: 08/22/05 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
sebibb wrote:

Hmmm. I've got a mobile phone...but I doubt it's compatible. Not to mention then sorting out all the Internet account stuff. Not worth it.

Especially since playing solitaire seems to sap the crap out of the batteries. Don't even mention using the thing where you can edit Word and Excel documents. One thing I'm definitely not happy with in terms of this thing, the battery life sucks. I'm happy with it, otherwise...it does what I need it to do.

I'd only have a real use for it a few times a year, so I think I'll stick with using my cell phone and have a buddy send me updates via AIM that way.

i think the e2 was intended to cure a lot of things about e.

PostPosted: 08/22/05 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

hmmm. not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Well sharp in an LCD is expensive as all get out. I paid a measly $800 for this monitor over two years ago and all the LCDs have come down since then. At that time it gave the size and quality of a monitor of twice the price. You've got to really be careful and do your homework with LCD monitors. I guess they've gotten better but the mid to lower end of the price scale will get you an unacceptable and fuzzy monitor.

Bright, razor sharp and great colors and contrast in a 19 inch LCD is a good thing. I thought the seperation at the bottom of the frame would be a problem or the start of problems, but it wasn't. BUT... it would have made a great excuse to get a brand new one had I the warranty.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: