RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WPS adds Western New York Franchise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEF34

PostPosted: 09/24/10 1:56 pm    ::: WPS adds Western New York Franchise Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO, CA (September 24, 2010) – Women’s Professional Soccer has conditionally approved a team from Western New York as its eighth WPS franchise this past week during a vote by its Board of Governors, WPS announced on Friday two days before the 2010 WPS Championship presented by Citi culminates the 2010 season. The Western New York team, owned by Joe Sahlen, will be based at Sahlen Sports Park, in Elma, New York, a suburb of Buffalo. The team’s home games will be split between Rochester, New York, at the 14,000-seat Rochester Rhinos Stadium and the newly-expanded Niagara Field on the campus of Niagara University in Lewiston, New York, giving WPS six soccer-specific stadiums among its eight teams.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/press_releases/100924-buffalo.aspx

I'm glad another team has been approved, hopefully this means the league will continue to grow and remain a steady professional soccer league in the US. I'm a little disappointed that a team has been brought back to LA yet with all the talk about it, but hopefully one is in the works, and if not next season in 2012 the LA Sol will be back.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/24/10 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm also glad to see the Flash added. I'm still pulling for LA to return in 2012, plus I'd like to see Seattle added as well. A team in Dallas has been rumored for a while, but MLS's Dallas team has the lowest attendance, so a WPS team likely wouldn't do well.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: