RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bibby's departure less surprising than his hiring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/17/05 5:29 pm    ::: Bibby's departure less surprising than his hiring Reply Reply with quote

http://msn.foxsports.com/wnba/story/3899772?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=90

As the Sparks rolled into the last third of the season, they were fighting for a playoff berth. Yet in a game against Connecticut that was still winnable, Bibby removed Holdsclaw and Leslie from the game in the last four minutes and the Sparks went on to lose.

Site Admin

PostPosted: 08/17/05 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like this one:

Consider the hiring of Joe Bryant as an assistant. Want to know how it happened?

"I was going to the practice facility just to work out with them and they asked me what I was doing," Bryant said. "I said I had nothing going on until October when I am coaching a team in Tokyo. So they said, "Would you like to hang around?' And I said, 'Why not?' "

Yes, that is certainly a good way to hire assistant coaches.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/17/05 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's an AMAZING piece. Wish there was this kind of sports journalism going on around the league all the time.

That's not to say Bibby bears no responsibility for the Sparks failings. About a week before he was fired, I interviewed him after a practice and there was some surreal moments in the conversation.

The strangest one occurred when Bibby was talking about Teasley, who is on the injured list with a foot injury.

"Our point guard Nikki Teasley hasn't played at all this year," Bibby said.

The record shows that Teasley started 19 games and averaged 29 minutes a game. So later in the interview, I asked if Bibby meant that Teasley had been hurt all year and simply limited by her injury.
"She's been hurt all year and she hasn't played at all for us," Bibby insisted.

As Holdsclaw would say: Hello!

PostPosted: 08/17/05 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jan Hubbard does a nice job for FoxSports.

It looks more and more like they lucked into getting MCoop.

PostPosted: 08/17/05 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are you kidding? Everyone loves to see the Sparks suffer, myself included, but this is a little much. Bibby really DID have no clue.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 08/17/05 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
That's an AMAZING piece. Wish there was this kind of sports journalism going on around the league all the time.

That's not to say Bibby bears no responsibility for the Sparks failings. About a week before he was fired, I interviewed him after a practice and there was some surreal moments in the conversation.

The strangest one occurred when Bibby was talking about Teasley, who is on the injured list with a foot injury.

The record shows that Teasley started 19 games and averaged 29 minutes a game. So later in the interview, I asked if Bibby meant that Teasley had been hurt all year and simply limited by her injury.

Wow! Did your interview get printed anywhere?

Maybe someone in management had one surreal conversation too many.

Keegan

PostPosted: 08/17/05 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:

Tot and Penny have been sharing their stash.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/17/05 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
dukemayo wrote:

Tot and Penny have been sharing their stash.

And to think some people told Brandy Reed she didn't have a future in dealing...

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/17/05 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Are you kidding? Everyone loves to see the Sparks suffer, myself included, but this is a little much. Bibby really DID have no clue.

How about the Sparks? For fans like us, you know, with brains and stuff Wink isn't it just scary as hell to know that the people in charge of some of the most important franchises in the league, are so negligent as to hire coaches like this? To think that they put these kinds of people in charge of these kinds of players. The best women's professionals in the world! "Just... whatever is the coach now and he's going to be yelling at you like you're dogs, ladies. He doesn't know anything about your profession. But you listen to him anyway and do everything he says."

And now Jellybean! In charge of Lisa Leslie and Chamique Holdsclaw?

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I hate to always go back to Houston (the old Dean Martin song) but the whole situation there pisses me off because I really feel that there's a similar negligence at work in the Comets organization. They were ready to trade Sheryl Swoopes, by God, in the off-season. Trade your m------ f----ng SELF, grits-for-brains! I won't rehash the rest of my issues with them, but they've been, in my mind, positively IRRESPONSIBLE with the Comets this season.

It makes me feel like the owners or the league just doesn't care, or, like they all know something we don't. Llike this is all going POOF after this season.

PostPosted: 08/17/05 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Wow! Did your interview get printed anywhere?

dukemayo. Laughing I pasted this from the article that pilight linked to in the first message in this thread.

PostPosted: 08/17/05 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that story is absolutely amazing. we all suspected this was going on (i think we all did), but to see it in print . . . amazing. could you just see bibby watching pick-a-player-any-player and going, "damn, she's good." and with all due respect to tina, but hello - he'd never heard of sheryl swoopes? or holdsclaw? this guy's a legend in his own mind, to be a bubble boy who is completely disconnected to the sport outside his own little world.

what i can't figure is, okay, so the porch light's on and no one's at home at penny toler's house, but wouldn't sheer dollars and sense drive mr. buss to make better choices?

PostPosted: 08/17/05 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is that Toler had minimal input on the coach hiring. No way a former W player would have gone that way. I don't think WNBA teams are generally organized in such a way that the GM has that kind of power over the coach.

PostPosted: 08/17/05 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
My guess is that Toler had minimal input on the coach hiring. No way a former W player would have gone that way. I don't think WNBA teams are generally organized in such a way that the GM has that kind of power over the coach.

Which is to say nothing good about the way WNBA teams are generally organized. lol!

PostPosted: 08/17/05 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Isn't Bibby like the polar opposite of Coop? Coop was a friend to the players and promoted positive type feelings and such, where as Bibby was aloof and basically let the players have little to no input whatsoever, not to mention the fact that he didn't know the first thing about the women's game.

(Please spare me the Coop wife beating, yada yada, all the players genuinely liked him, and that was pretty evident, when he left.)

Of course I also think Bibby is a genius, but he has absolutely no people skills, and you gotta have both to be a coach, at the least he needed some assistants around him that could be friends to the players and could get what Bibby was trying to do across to the players.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/17/05 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not good or bad. Isiah Thomas is both GM and president of basketball operations for the Knicks. You see how well that's working. Only a couple of WNBA teams have those duties shared.

PostPosted: 08/17/05 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bibby would be an ideal candidate to create and coach a team for a boot camp for teenage first offenders.

PostPosted: 08/17/05 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

Damn, he even tried to give him a chance to fix it. Sounds like, his marbles might be loose.

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 08/17/05 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
bibby would be an ideal candidate to create and coach a team for a boot camp for teenage first offenders.

He may be ready for Oz.

herrade

PostPosted: 08/18/05 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the only thing that's surprising to me is how long it took to show him the door. same thing with trudi in charlotte. why wait until the end of the season? why didn't both of them get axed at the all star break?

BCBG25

PostPosted: 08/18/05 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's not good or bad. Isiah Thomas is both GM and president of basketball operations for the Knicks. You see how well that's working. Only a couple of WNBA teams have those duties shared.

One of them being the Liberty. And we see how that's going...at least the coaching job went to someone familiar with women's basketball... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/18/05 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
the only thing that's surprising to me is how long it took to show him the door. same thing with trudi in charlotte. why wait until the end of the season? why didn't both of them get axed at the all star break?

ego

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: