RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA gets no Respect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhoenixxLily
I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 08/21/10 4:51 am    ::: WNBA gets no Respect Reply Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of the WNBA. The organization and its players don't get the visibility, respect, airtime, or sponsorship money that they deserve. In fact if you look at the amount of money the players receive it will make your jaw drop...on average they get paid just over the amount my mother makes (an elementary school teacher who makes next to nothing) and in some cases they make less than her. The real point I think people should be aware of, is all the misogynistic rambling that surrounds the league. It even comes from unlikely sources: women.

So, here are a few links to demonstrate what I'm talking about. Any trip down the #wnba hashtag on twitter and you can find craziness from mostly men. But, the oddness doesn't stop there.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/25923/wnba-the-joke-continues/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704296704575431552382023476.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/433244-why-the-wnba-should-shut-it-down

Example twitter posts:

@beatpunk Halftime was sponsored by Vagisil. #wnba

Tickets are still available for the Atlanta Dream. I wish I had the time to subject myself to something worse than waterboarding. #WNBA (tweeted by @bcthomas)

@Pat_Egan Joe Morgan and John Miller make a #MLB game seem as boring as an #MLS game. Or even worse a #WNBA game....if that's possible #Phillies #Mets

@buckk20 I swear these #wnba bitches got some of the hardest faces I've ever seen gotdamn!

@BraceFaceShawty I'd rather watch 2fat bitches wrestle in mud than attend a #WNBA game

You get the idea....and some of them are just awful and hyper sexual. Oddly enough you get the most of these tweets during a WNBA game when fans are twittering away and using the #wnba hashtag. As a side note, one point of anger among fans are the silly and numerous foul calls made by refs. There are times when they call fouls that make no sense (even the announcers voice they don't know where they came from) and other times they ignore blatant fouls. It's almost as if they could care less. The NBA and WNBA share refs and it appears that said refs can't cope with the physicality and aggression that comes with WNBA games...half of those calls wouldn't exist in the NBA.

Example tweet from a fan:

@Mo_Brown2524 @wnba be really really nice if sometime in my lifetime the officiating caught up to the level of play in this league! I'm just sayin! LOL

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/21/10 5:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Firstly, welcome to Reb's!

Secondly, yeah, this is nothing new to us.
Something about females having a go at traditionally male-dominated activities really brings out people's bitterness, insecurities and general immaturity. And yes - surprisingly, women are often found amongst the most vocal haters. Go figure.

When I read crazy stuff like that though, I don't feel bad at all. When people need to throw logic and fairness out the window to express their ill-will, it's pretty much an admission that they've got nothing real.

At first I really didn't like Debbie Schlussel. Nowadays she just cracks me up. She is clearly desperate for attention, poor woman. She claims to not care about the WNBA, yet admits to writing about it repeatedly. So already you know she's a little bit cuckoo. Her resorts to lower and lower insults with each column is proof of her desperation for responses.
My strong advice would be for no one to give her any (and for that matter, not even click on her links).

As for the money issue though, no one is entitled to expect payment for something unless there is demand for what they do. That's just common sense. Right now, the demand just isn't there for the WNBA that would justify the ludicrous salaries that some athletes (including some females) command.
The best players still make good money, and the "worst" WNBA players still make enough to make ends meet, so to put it in perspective they still don't do too bad for 4 months work. There are certainly plenty of intelligent and hard-working people posting here that would happily take a WNBA minimum salary right now.

PostPosted: 08/21/10 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why give the haters more attention? Confused

CRASH

PostPosted: 08/21/10 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LilyJadeRose;
Welcome to the junkies!

As for the W not getting an respect...... ummmm........
Welcome to the junkies. Laughing
Like Luuuc stated, this isnt anything new or anything we havnt heard before.... pretty much the same tired shit year after year. Wink

PostPosted: 08/21/10 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to Reb's

They don't respect us but we don't respect them either. The difference is that we ignore them, at least I do. I'll have to when they want to tell me how bad my books are (future books) for trying to use women's basketball to entertain people. They're jerks. Especially DS. She's just crying for attention.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 08/21/10 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Title IX does not apply in professiongal anything, so get over the ladies being treated the same way as men. Those who have grown up with that mentality are always going to be shocked and amazed when they find themselves in the real world.

Agreeing with Luuuc that until the market progresses, the salaries will be what they will be. And yes, none of them do too badly for four months work. I am a superstar at doing my job, with two degrees, and 35+ years work experience...and I don't make 40% of what the highest paid among the WNBA make in terms of their W salaries. But then, I can't do their job, and they probably can't do mine either...so we are both where we are supposed to be...living our lovely lives.

Stop listening to the misogynist bozos and blaze your own path...

PostPosted: 08/21/10 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to Junkies!

PostPosted: 08/21/10 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

At first I really didn't like Debbie Schlussel. Nowadays she just cracks me up. She is clearly desperate for attention, poor woman. .

Lil Debbie and most of her commentors are funny as hell.

She is STILL bringing up the FU from "Lute Olsens Granddaughter" which makes me laugh and laugh...one because she seems proud that she can bring up someone related to someone with stature in her mind noticed she existed....and two it wasn't even Julie who sent the e-mail it was Diana Laughing

Last edited by caune on 08/21/10 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/21/10 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Debbie Schlussel is an ugly, ugly human being. Her articles have obvious homophobic and racial overtones, which she attempts to hide under the guise of humor. If she and I were the last two human beings on earth, I'd rather off myself than associate with her.

But whatever. I love the game for what I feel it offers, as everyone else here does. Like most everyone else here, I'm thinking about ball when the game is happening...not the other stupidity about how the players look, etc. I think it's really difficult for these narrow-minded people to believe that there are fans out there who actually watch this purely for the sake of basketball. Screw 'em.

PostPosted: 08/21/10 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Firstly, welcome to Reb's!

Secondly, yeah, this is nothing new to us.
Something about females having a go at traditionally male-dominated activities really brings out people's bitterness, insecurities and general immaturity. And yes - surprisingly, women are often found amongst the most vocal haters. Go figure.

When I read crazy stuff like that though, I don't feel bad at all. When people need to throw logic and fairness out the window to express their ill-will, it's pretty much an admission that they've got nothing real.

At first I really didn't like Debbie Schlussel. Nowadays she just cracks me up. She is clearly desperate for attention, poor woman. She claims to not care about the WNBA, yet admits to writing about it repeatedly. So already you know she's a little bit cuckoo. Her resorts to lower and lower insults with each column is proof of her desperation for responses.
My strong advice would be for no one to give her any (and for that matter, not even click on her links).

As for the money issue though, no one is entitled to expect payment for something unless there is demand for what they do. That's just common sense. Right now, the demand just isn't there for the WNBA that would justify the ludicrous salaries that some athletes (including some females) command.
The best players still make good money, and the "worst" WNBA players still make enough to make ends meet, so to put it in perspective they still don't do too bad for 4 months work. There are certainly plenty of intelligent and hard-working people posting here that would happily take a WNBA minimum salary right now.

Thanks for the welcome Very Happy i suppose i'll never get past the fact that some of the most vicious haters are women...not that there are haters in general (that's just to be expected). i just don't understand how one woman can be so negative about another woman solely because she is a woman. it would be alright if it were a case of, well i don't care for basketball so the wnba just isn't my thing, or i don't care for player xyz because she has an ego. instead it's well this is a bunch of women so it's automatically crap. the closest analogy is when hillary clinton was running for president..i couldn't stand her and i'm still not sure she's handling secretary of state very well. but it had nothing to do with the fact that she was a woman...i don't like her personality and i didn't like the policy she was proposing. but my opposition never stemmed from the fact that she was a woman, as many of her criticisms did. i suppose that is my main disgust at articles like debbie's.

meliflaw

PostPosted: 08/21/10 6:14 pm    ::: Welcome, LJR! Reply Reply with quote

(Great avatar, by the way.)

When the sneers and other shenanigans get to me, I try to remember going to Key Arena for the first time last summer and watching the Storm beat the Dream in overtime--and being part of the SHRIEKING, STOMPING, WILDLY ENTHUSIASTIC fanbase there, all ages, persuasions, colors, etc. They are the future, and so are we.

PostPosted: 08/21/10 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love the avatar. I have to ask- do you hang out at ontd_political?

(now with spelling variations)
PhoenixxLily
I Voted

PostPosted: 08/21/10 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Love the avatar. I have to ask- do you hang out at ontd_political?

i'm not even sure what that is lol. but i've had that picture for a few years now...and every time a white, male, middle aged u.s. senator gets up and starts spouting off about how they know what the american people want and what they want is that everyone non-white,a male, or middle aged stay right where they are...well. anyway. i just love this picture lol.

kwnyc

PostPosted: 08/21/10 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
So already you know she's a little bit cuckoo.

Is there an emoticon for "understatement"? Schlussel is a nasty wingnut who seems meaner and more of an attention-seeker than Ann Coulter. She's a rabid bigot and fearmonger. If she LIKED the WNBA, then we'd have problems.

ilovewnba

PostPosted: 08/21/10 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For all of the WNBA haters....

Kiss my ass!

http://sexywomenofbasketball.blogspot.com
http://luvwnba.blogspot.com
hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/22/10 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll add my voice to the welcomers. Sit down, kick your shoes off and make yourself at home. You're among fellow fans.
HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 08/22/10 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome aboard as well....

a mere 35 years ago, for those women fortunate enough to even get paid to play basketball (i am talking pre WBL), lets just say, I know people that spend more on their cable bill then what they got per month for playing upwards of 30 games.

I would love to see these women make much more today...yet until the demand grows, I do see the salaries growing a lot.

We just have to keep supporting the best way we can and help educate others around us.

And getting some bigger sponsors like we have seen over the last couple of years for specific teams helps as well.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: