RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Holdsclaw still unsure about her return to the W

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoovie

PostPosted: 01/07/05 4:44 am    ::: Holdsclaw still unsure about her return to the W Reply Reply with quote

But while she is enjoying playing basketball again, she stopped short of saying she will return to the WNBA when the 2005 season tips off on May 21.
I can really embrace my free-spirit nature here, because the people and culture are so laid back. I don't feel like it's a rat race here."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/wnba/2005-01-06-holdsclaw-wnba-europe_x.htm

There's a chance she may not return. She likes it there and she can make more money....If the stars of the league start turning down the league, it might shake things up. Even Kedra has mentioned the claim she feels overseas. I don't know people. At what point will these players throw in the towel and say, "Hey, we tried"

I'm not yet worried about this trend. Having tried so hard to make it work in the league here and still get no love, add in the BS the front office throws at them, I can see them saying the hell with it, and can we blame them.

At this point, we as fans feel like our hands are tied. Because the league is not listening to us or the players. They want our money, but they have a close door policy as far as dialog and involvement Maybe there's a crack in the door, if you're saying something they want to hear). All kinds of flags are going up in front of our faces and the front office keeps blowing smoke up our asses about the state of the league.

Although Val gave a very valid reason why she's leaving, I still think she's jumping ship for reasons yet to unfold. I guess, well have a better picture once we see who they replace her with. That person better have a damn impressive resume, because if they don't and they look like a fall guy, it's going to be over and out. Who they put in that spot, is going to say a lot about the future of the WNBA

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
blzntr33s

PostPosted: 01/07/05 8:45 am    ::: Re: Holdsclaw still unsure about her return to the W Reply Reply with quote

Smoovie wrote:

There's a chance she may not return. She likes it there and she can make more money....If the stars of the league start turning down the league, it might shake things up. Even Kedra has mentioned the claim she feels overseas. I don't know people. At what point will these players throw in the towel and say, "Hey, we tried"

I'm not yet worried about this trend. Having tried so hard to make it work in the league here and still get no love, add in the BS the front office throws at them, I can see them saying the hell with it, and can we blame them.

At this point, we as fans feel like our hands are tied. Because the league is not listening to us or the players. They want our money, but they have a close door policy as far as dialog and involvement Maybe there's a crack in the door, if you're saying something they want to hear). All kinds of flags are going up in front of our faces and the front office keeps blowing smoke up our asses about the state of the league.

Although Val gave a very valid reason why she's leaving, I still think she's jumping ship for reasons yet to unfold. I guess, well have a better picture once we see who they replace her with. That person better have a damn impressive resume, because if they don't and they look like a fall guy, it's going to be over and out. Who they put in that spot, is going to say a lot about the future of the WNBA

Perhaps I'm a bit overly optimistic at this point in my life, but I'd really hate to think that's the case. While you have the likes of Chamique and others enjoying playing overseas, you have Tamika Catchings and others who play in two US Women's Leagues, the NWBL & the W. They're the ones who are trying to make it more profitable for women to stay here in the states.

I'm not sure about the types of pay all players make overseas, but some of the players not in the W make very little money overseas; add that and the fact that it's so far from home, it doesn't sound too tempting to me.

It sounds like Chamique doesn't care much to be pushed at this point in her life. And if that's the case, then perhaps the Spain club is her best bet. She's a Lady Vol, and I feel for her having gone through my own bouts of depression, but if the will to play here just isn't there, is she really good for the league?

IMHO, she'll be back eventually. Everyone goes through phases, and she has to sort things out for herself; but it's just a matter of time. We'll just have to wait and see if she gets through it by May.

There's a lot of fans who are unhappy with the league and their team's ownership, but I'm really hoping the formula they have here in Phoenix is replicated throughout the league. Call me naive, but perhaps teams will follow suit once they see the environment Phoenix attempts to create for the fans. I think every team should have an Executive Comittee, and start to utilize the faithful fans that support the teams.

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/07/05 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Claw is a unique case. She's been stuck with a crappy front office all her career and with her personal issues and the pressure that has been placed on her, it's not surprising she doesn't feel the urge to go back. She's definitely an exception though and nowhere near the rule.
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 01/07/05 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ditto on the point about the Phoenix franchise. I went out to Phoenix to see a game at the end of last season and it was a most enjoyable experience. The arena is great and the fans are even more impressive. I sat between two diverse couples, and could not have had more fun as an "outsider". My team wasn't on the court, so I could just cheer and appreciate whomever was making the great play. My row mates had a blast, too.

They have a wonderful team to watch play basketball in Phoenix and it will only get better with time. The additional things the club does for the fans will make that a winning franchise. Houston used to do things for STH's, but they have seemingly lost that lovin' feelin' for us. My trip to Phoenix gave me hope for this league.

Smoovie

PostPosted: 01/07/05 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a lot of fans who are unhappy with the league and their team's ownership, but I'm really hoping the formula they have here in Phoenix is replicated throughout the league. Call me naive, but perhaps teams will follow suit once they see the environment Phoenix attempts to create for the fans. I think every team should have an Executive Comittee, and start to utilize the faithful fans that support the teams.

I think Phoenix is a very rare and unique case. Because, they have management who genuinely care. If the front office in other cities gave a damn, they would be doing the same thing. If the front offices in the rest of the league gave a damn, they would take a look at what Washington (who had a lack luster underachieving team for years) is doing to sell the "Phonebooth" out. They were putting up the numbers with the Mystics, but not the Wizards, maybe there's something there?

Like I said, who they put in the front office, is going to tell a lot about where they intend to go, with the league.

BTW, I think many of the of the fans would have loved to started up a committee for their team, but management showed them their behinds to kiss. Because I know, they don't want them that deep in the business here in Houston. How dare you even question or suggest something to management here? All I can say is, fans need to demand that dialog. Flood their mailboxes and let them know how you feel. Don't do the one letter thing and have everyone sign it. At the very least, make them see the volume of envelopes addressed to them, from a fan concern about the state of the league and their team.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but these are not little girls playing the game they love with their shutters on. It's business, and most of them know it. The red shiny newness, faded a while ago, with these ladies. Maybe not all the players are treated like royalty overseas, but our superstars are. Without the superstars, what will the WNBA have. A lot of these players are a lot more selfish then they would care to admit. But, adults have to be. "It's business" and who can blame them. They tried![/i]

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/07/05 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/07/05 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DC is a rat race.

Phoenix sure would be good for her. ...Anna and the #3 ?
That would make 5 Lady Vols!

I don't think a few players leaving for jobs overseas will take down the league. Everyone who was invited showed up for the Olympics. I think the W players for the most part really appreciate what they are doing for young people by playing in the WNBA.

Honestly, I'd rather read about Chamique's games overseas than have her come back "home" and not want to play.

Smoovie

PostPosted: 01/07/05 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Claw in Phoenix, on Di's team. I'd hate to see her shunt the growth of that team. Lady Di, Penny, and Anne game will suffer with her on the team. If she can't accept her role.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/07/05 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know it won't happen, and I'm not sure I want it to, but a quartet of Anna-Penny-Chamique-Diana would be pretty damn scary.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 01/07/05 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not as scary as Anna-Penny-Lauren-and Lady Di.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/07/05 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:

It'll never happen...but that would be awesome!! I'd feel bad for the rest of the WNBA.

It would be a ledge-tastic quartet Smile .

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/07/05 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:

It'll never happen...but that would be awesome!! I'd feel bad for the rest of the WNBA.

It would be a ledge-tastic quartet Smile .

You never know... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: