RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

I have an FBI file
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/30/10 10:29 am    ::: I have an FBI file Reply Reply with quote

Way back in 1990, I was arrested at an anti-Gulf War rally in Jacksonville FL. I was never charged and they released us the next day.

Today, here in Macon, there's a welcome home parade for some local reservists who are coming back from Afghanistan. I had some business to attend to downtown, so I was walking that way when a man called me out by name (first and last). I was surprised to be addressed, then I turned and saw a two guys I did not know dressed in suits. I didn't say anything and he asked me if I was Mister Brown. I said yes, and he asked me if I was the same Mister Brown who was arrested in Jacksonville. I said yes again, and then he started asking what I was doing downtown. At that point I figured I better find out who these guys were and what they wanted. Long story short, my name was on a list of people who live here and might try to disrupt the parade. The FBI had even distributed my picture (albeit several years old) along with who knows how many others.

Most people hate poetry
Realcomplicated

PostPosted: 07/30/10 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hi Mister Brown, I'm Ms. Brown Smile

sambista

PostPosted: 07/30/10 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

double post. see below.

Last edited by sambista on 07/30/10 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
sambista

PostPosted: 07/30/10 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

swear to god, pilight, that's just about the scariest shit i've read here in a long time. we're talking about 20 years ago. TWENTY. if they have the resources to home in on you like that after 20 years - AND consider you a viable threat, in li'l ole macon, georgia - where the FREAK are the resources hunting down genuine suspects? why are osama bin laden and his crew (offshore and onshore) so freakin elusive?

what the freak.

sbjules

PostPosted: 07/30/10 12:02 pm    ::: Re: I have an FBI file Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Way back in 1990, I was arrested at an anti-Gulf War rally in Jacksonville FL. I was never charged and they released us the next day.

Today, here in Macon, there's a welcome home parade for some local reservists who are coming back from Afghanistan. I had some business to attend to downtown, so I was walking that way when a man called me out by name (first and last). I was surprised to be addressed, then I turned and saw a two guys I did not know dressed in suits. I didn't say anything and he asked me if I was Mister Brown. I said yes, and he asked me if I was the same Mister Brown who was arrested in Jacksonville. I said yes again, and then he started asking what I was doing downtown. At that point I figured I better find out who these guys were and what they wanted. Long story short, my name was on a list of people who live here and might try to disrupt the parade. The FBI had even distributed my picture (albeit several years old) along with who knows how many others.

Oh my god!! From 1990! That is truly frightening. I was in plenty of demonstrations against the Vietnam war back in the 60s, but was never arrested, so I never bothered to file a freedom of info form to see what they "had" on me. Should we salute the g-men following Reb Kell's boards now?

caune

PostPosted: 07/30/10 12:44 pm    ::: Re: I have an FBI file Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
pilight wrote:

Oh my god!! From 1990! That is truly frightening. I was in plenty of demonstrations against the Vietnam war back in the 60s, but was never arrested, so I never bothered to file a freedom of info form to see what they "had" on me. Should we salute the g-men following Reb Kell's boards now?

WTF?
That seems an insane waste of our money tracking anti war demonstrators from 20 years ago Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/30/10 1:02 pm    ::: Re: I have an FBI file Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
pilight wrote:

Did you know that criticizing the New York Liberty and Carol Blazejowski is a federal offense? Razz

braveniler58

PostPosted: 07/30/10 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No wonder the Government sucks.

PostPosted: 07/30/10 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eeegads. Is J Edgar Hoover still alive and back in charge? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/30/10 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskie wrote:

Yes, and he's wearing Vera Wang. Razz

[just for that alone, I guess that should get me yet another page added onto my file.]

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/30/10 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight, did they let you carry on with whatever you had to do downtown, or were you required to leave the area until a day without a welcome home parade?

icey23

PostPosted: 07/30/10 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW thats crazy WELCOME TO REBKELL UNDERCOVER PEOPLE.

PostPosted: 07/30/10 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight, did they let you carry on with whatever you had to do downtown, or were you required to leave the area until a day without a welcome home parade?

They let me go on about my business. I didn't even know the parade was going on until I got down there.

Most people hate poetry
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/30/10 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And this is the best country in the world, folks ... or so I am told at least.

bridgehere

PostPosted: 07/30/10 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course, Mr. Brown's nefarious plans could have been thwarted by the
FBI's alertness. Twisted Evil

TonyL222

PostPosted: 07/30/10 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ya gotta admit this is kind of impressive. Facial recogniton technology seems to have matured to the point where it can pick a "suspect" out of a crowd and apply an appropriate "aging" algorythm to it.

How would the FBI know that Mr Brown did not have a nefarious plan?

PostPosted: 07/30/10 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
Ya gotta admit this is kind of impressive. Facial recogniton technology seems to have matured to the point where it can pick a "suspect" out of a crowd and apply an appropriate "aging" algorythm to it.

How would the FBI know that Mr Brown did not have a nefarious plan?

Okay, TonyL222, this is where my very liberal politics meet my need to protect people. I didn't think it was so horrible. I mean I don't know. If I knew all that the government was doing and the results, maybe I could have an opinion.

norwester

PostPosted: 07/31/10 5:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On one hand, that's pretty chilling and crazy. On the other hand, they let you go about your business, so they were actually doing their job rather well, I think. If someone like Mr. Brown ran into the parade with a bomb, later we'd excoriate the FBI for having records that he could have been a threat (i.e. had a history of anti-war activity) and not acting on it. As long as they just asked you a couple of questions and let you go on your way, I don't necessarily have a problem with it.

But it must be freaky to have something like that (having an FBI file) confirmed in so concrete a way. Weird.

PostPosted: 07/31/10 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Huskie wrote:

Yes, and he's wearing Vera Wang. Razz [just for that alone, I guess that should get me yet another page added onto my file.]
...BUTTT....you actually EARN points for giving JEdgar credit for enough taste to have selected Wang. Never woulda happened in real life Laughing

Folks, *I* personally feel much safer knowing Kev is under surveillance. We all know what a rabble rouser he can be here. Can you IMAGINE what a major metropolitan area like Macon has to contend with, having him in their midst on a daily basis..?? Ibetchya half their security budget is blown on *watching* KevvyStatMan, as he's known in FBI files. Cool

Seriously, tho...here's my take on it. Kevin, I would guess Macon isn't an actual hotbed of Radicalism, right? So they have 3-4 G-men assigned to things like parade security, and they gotta be sure they look good, so they dig up old files, see you on it (among a few others) and start looking for you around the parade site. bingo! There you are...they call you out, say a few words (so's you know you're spotted) and they've done their job.

Is it freaky to an Average Joe like you? Sure. But, honestly, if they'd have suspected you were REAL trouble, I'm sure they'd have kept their mouths shut and just tailed you all around town, etc. If I were you, I'd consider it a badge of honor...you're a US citizen of note!

sambista

PostPosted: 07/31/10 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
On one hand, that's pretty chilling and crazy. On the other hand, they let you go about your business, so they were actually doing their job rather well, I think. If someone like Mr. Brown ran into the parade with a bomb, later we'd excoriate the FBI for having records that he could have been a threat (i.e. had a history of anti-war activity) and not acting on it. As long as they just asked you a couple of questions and let you go on your way, I don't necessarily have a problem with it.

you're right, regarding the "if." but someone who was arrested 20 years ago and never charged with anything . . . technically, that could be called a "history" of anti-war activity, but it's not any kind of pattern warranting an alert. now it's entirely possible that the fbi had intel that there would be some disruption at this particular event. thinking on it further, that's the only way i can imagine the fbi had the resources to be on the scene and actively vetting people on the street. that, or it was a slow day in the macon fbi offices. none of that changes my concern about whether the fbi is using its resources efficiently. i mean, why should they be any different from most government entities where wastefulness is commonplace?

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/31/10 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Once you're in the files, you're in the files until you die, but I have to say it strikes me as peculiar that one arrest for an anti-war rally would be sufficient for them to put you on a list of people to watch for in the future. Mostly, it seems like a waste of resources.

The alternative explanation above, that the list of potential people to worry about in Macon is pretty small and that there wasn't much else for the local agents to do, strikes me as entirely plausible. You know, if you're supposed to make a list of the 10 most threatening people, in some places you're going to run out of real threats around number 3, but that doesn't stop them from filling out the rest of the list.

The bottom line is that FBI agents, like all law enforcement, are paid to be suspicious, and their general view of the world tends to be that anybody who hasn't colored completely within the lines is a risk. That attitude, in the long run, is why there's no way to completely end abuses by law enforcement agencies, and I'm not sure there's any way to get rid of it and still have an effective police force.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/25/15 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'still spooky when they know who you are and details about you when you haven't identified yourself and don't expect it.

Couple years ago my wife and I were taking a vacation. Amtrak from NY to Toronto, Trans Canada train to Jasper and Vancouver, and then fly home.

Now, Amtrak had our names, but no car or seat number, and it was a long train. We could have been seated anywhere on it. Nonetheless, at Niagra Falls, three ICE agents, in full body armor and carrying assault rifles, walked right up to us and addressed us by name, asking a slew of questions with great detail such as why we had one way tickets to Toronto.

I guess our answers were adequate because they didn't search us, unlike a fellow passenger, a woman traveling alone, who had her suitcases completely emptied onto a table in the cafe car.

I still to this day think it was very creepy how much they knew, and still don't know how they identified us and knew exactly where we were seated. I could have understood the questions if they had come after looking at our passports, but they knew us by sight before we provided any ID.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/25/15 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know that there's an FBI file on me. But I've never had the experience of having been picked out of a crowd while going about my business. It would be unnerving.

PostPosted: 08/25/15 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the other hand I am happy to learn that you've been arrested. Laughing

Gotta put those priors in your file!

PostPosted: 08/25/15 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
I know that there's an FBI file on me.

What the hell did YOU do? Shocked Wink

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: