RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

US Women's Open (Golf)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 07/06/10 1:47 pm    ::: US Women's Open (Golf) Reply Reply with quote

Can't remember when the last time I was so exicited about a golf tournament.

- One of the best venues in golf, Oakmont, and it's telegenic.
- A true battle for number one, Kerr, Shin, Miyazato.

My gut pick is Shin. Mainly, her fairway percentage stat and the fact she does not get down, does not get whipped.

Miyazato or Kerr could both easily win as well.

Lots of good ink already, this week will indeed be about women's golf, a rare feat...

PostPosted: 07/07/10 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, twas the night before the Open...

I think there are a few items out there. It has been extremely hot, so they have to put a lot of water on the greens, which are Poa, and apparently they are the best in the country, but for sure if they don't keep them cool, they will be toast in the heat. This will slow them down and make them more receptive to iron shots.

SO, the big question this week is score. Will it be over or under, who knows? For sure the USGA can make this course so frigg'n hard, the number could be anything. Personally, I think they in their wisdom or sympathy, tend to set up the Women's Open more fair than the men's, which I think makes for a better tournament.

That said, I don't think it would be a bad thing if the winning score was 5 over par, so long as the course is fair.

For the 2 or three readers actually interested, I think you will find the "favorites" listed here:

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5672&mforum=professionalgol

I used to play this game, but quit for two reasons, I'm a competitive person, so I was just not willing to spend the time it takes to do this intelligently every week.

Basically in this contest, you will find that about eight players get picked by everyone, albeit not ranked the same. After that you go with trend lines, horses for courses, and the last couple picks you have at least half dozen where the numbers look the same, so you pick a couple of them, by recent play, or a particular stat, or whatever.

What I noticed this time is there are no horses for courses picks.

There is only one horse you can pick in this case, Julie Inkster, runner up the last time women played here. But Inkster is a horses for courses gal, she won the US Open at Prairie Dunes in Kansas, the same course she won a US Amateur, (she won three back to back) only person who comes to mind doing the same thing was Tiger.

So If I was playing this game, I'd pick Inkster, probably place her around #10.

The other reason I quit playing was I just don't like watching golf where I might be compelled to root against a player, the best player wins every week, so rooting against them really sucks IMO. Laughing

Last edited by vanyogan on 07/08/10 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total
vanyogan

PostPosted: 07/07/10 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
U.S. Womens Open is must-see TV

<snip>

Caddies reportedly are wagering the winning score on the 6,613-yard, par-71 layout could be as high as 14-over par, with one caddy who was part of an Open win predicting a score of eight over.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/fromthebunker/2010/07/07/us-womens-open-is-must-see-tv/

ETA:

Quote:
We came into this championship with the mind-set of saying: Listen, were going to have the women play three years after the men. Lets try to see how the women play Oakmont and virtually try to set it up in the same manner, Davis said Wednesday.

The differences, Davis added, were in the details.

Youve got to have the golf course shorter because they cant hit as far, he said. And you cant have the greens as firm because they cant spin the ball quite as much. And with the women not being quite as strong and not having the clubhead speed of men, the rough is less.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/08/sports/golf/08golf.html

I think what is interesting about this quote, is the golf course setup guy is saying let's set it up (on a skill level) as same as the men, but then he lists the things that have to be different for the women.

So you could take this statement two ways, you could say well, women are weak, so they are cheating the course by makiong it easier. First of all, Not! Just try, any guy, scratch golfer, I don't give a crap, just try to play this course as set up for the women. It will eat your ass for breakfast, and there won't be anything left for frigg'n lunch...

The way I take it is the guy is saying the skills are the same but men and women are different, so he wants to set it up accordingly.

It would be SO cool if the winning score was the same as the men's...

PostPosted: 07/08/10 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good grief! Scoreboard watching is rather fun this week, the darn thing changes big time by the minute!

K-mac, Stanford, and Creamer all got out to a great start.

But here is the most interesting card by far! Bam Bam, she turns at even par, but only made TWO PARS! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.lpgascoring.com/22752/scorecards/80142.html

ETA: Oh good grief!!! I just checked the stats.

6 fairways, 8 GIR, 18 putts! WTF BAM! four birdies, hits eight greens (birdied the 250 yard par 3 8th), and turns at even par? It's strait to the mental hospital for you Bam.

Not, I played a nine just about like this one time in the Bakersfield City Championship, I had 3 feet to go 4 under after five holes, and I'm sure I was close to leading since I started only 4 back, Aggggggghhhhhhh!, I turned at even par after another birdie at the 9th.

ETA Again:OK, lets analyze this. She doubled a hole, so that was her missed green.

Assume, she three putted that one, she made four birdies, so that is 4 one putts, so she three putted for double, and three putted three other holes, four three putts so that gets you to 18 putts.

She also just three putted the 10th for bogey.

Hang in there Bam!

Addendum, OK, this is weird, on the front she made a double plus 2 other bogeys. SO, that means she either 3 putted for a par, or her double was a four putt. But if the double was a four putt, that means she missed a green and one putted par, I'm so confused! Laughing

She must have three putted a par 5, for par. Yep, I'm going with that one Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/08/10 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
So, twas the night before the Open...

I think there are a few items out there. It has been extremely hot, so they have to put a lot of water on the greens, which are Poa, and apparently they are the best in the country, but for sure if they don't keep them cool, they will be toast in the heat. This will slow them down and make them more receptive to iron shots.

SO, the big question this week is score. Will it be over or under, who knows? For sure the USGA can make this course so frigg'n hard, the number could be anything. Personally, I think they in their wisdom or sympathy, tend to set up the Women's Open more fair than the men's, which I think makes for a better tournament.

That said, I don't think it would be a bad thing if the winning score was 5 over par, so long as the course is fair.

For the 2 or three readers actually interested, I think you will find the "favorites" listed here:

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5672&mforum=professionalgol

I used to play this game, but quit for two reasons, I'm a competitive person, so I was just not willing to spend the time it takes to do this intelligently every week.

Basically in this contest, you will find that about eight players get picked by everyone, albeit not ranked the same. After that you go with trend lines, horses for courses, and the last couple picks you have at least half dozen where the numbers look the same, so you pick a couple of them, by recent play, or a particular stat, or whatever.

What I noticed this time is there are no horses for courses picks.

There is only one horse you can pick in this case, Julie Inkster, runner up the last time women played here. But Inkster is a horses for courses gal, she won the US Open at Prairie Dunes in Kansas, the same course she won a US Amateur, (she won three back to back) only person who comes to mind doing the same thing was Tiger.

So If I was playing this game, I'd pick Inkster, probably place her around #10.

The other reason I quit playing was I just don't like watching golf where I might be compelled to root against a player, the best player wins every week, so rooting against them really sucks IMO. Laughing

Oh for fucks sake, the answer is already apparent, it's going to be a big number.

K-mac has an interesting round going, she has missed 5 greens, but missed only one fairway, and she is at even par, so that tells me she is missing the ball short, and that is your best chance to make par. Miss long you are fucked. Miss pin high, you have a chip or pitch shot that will break 15 - 30 feet. Ouch, can't wait to see the coverage, 4 hours on ESPN2.

PostPosted: 07/08/10 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just looking at the numbers, the stats, the putting numbers are amazing, it seems like anyone with under 30 putts today will be somewhere on the leader board. But most likely will be leading the damn thing...

Right now that person looks a lot like K-mac.

PostPosted: 07/08/10 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amateur Kelli Shean (U of Arkansas)leads at 2 under, just starting her back nine.

Gulbis just eagled the short, drivable par 4 17th, great stuff so far.

ETA: This is fun to watch, the kid is not stressing out at all. Only seen a couple holes, she left her approach shots short but had great touch putting up hill from off the green. She has a great little golf swing as well.

Laughing

Shean drives it into the church pews, leaves her second shot well short of the green, leaves her pitch shot 30 feet short, and then drains the putt for par! Laughing Laughing Laughing

ETA:
This is fairly common, an amateur, or someone unknown leading an Open, but normally, the player is just unconscious, oblivious, that is NOT the way this kid has played.

This kid is grinding, she has her frigg'n boy friend on the bag ( a foot and half taller than her, does not know crap about golf, no pressure there bud!), but this girl is grinding, I've never seen anything like the way this kid is playing, not from an amateur...

ETA Again:

OFFS! Even though ESPN told us this early on, the kid is deaf, she wears hearing aids in both ears, ogh good grief, and to fuck things up even more,

On 9, her 18th, her tee shot was basically going to be in the first cut, a good lie to go for the green on a par 5, oh no, her ball ended up in a divot, a deep fucking divot, she took a smart pill and just dug it out with a short iron.

Her third ended up 90 feet away, rolling down 90 feet, three tiers. She left the ball 20 feet below the hole, (another smart pill). Finished one under, it's one of the best rounds I have ever seen an amateur play, man or woman, in a US Open.

So, there ya go...

PostPosted: 07/08/10 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Want some company in this thread? Wink

vanyogan

PostPosted: 07/08/10 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen13 wrote:

Well, it would be nice, but of course I understand that folks work, so they can't watch, but I have to re-state this, the round that Kid outta U of Arkansas played was maybe the best Open Amateur round I have ever seen, because, it was a grinder... amazing is what it was, and no doubt there will be a lot of ink tonight describing it, are you kidding me?

That said, Lang is leading right now, honestly, this is just another typical round of golf for Brittany Lang, so it will be interesting how she feels tomorrow...

PostPosted: 07/08/10 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay Van I want your opinion...

Whose going to win a tournament first, Tiger or Michelle?

My gut says Tiger. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/08/10 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

I have no idea, Wie shot fucking 82, something like that, so, she may go to Stanford, she may be some sorta smart, but any idiot with her talent should be able to get around in par. You hit some short club in the short grass, you keep your ball below the hole, you two putt up the fucking hill, you shoot 73 like every other great fucking golfer on the planet, that is what you do, nope, Wie shoots 82...

TIGER.

PostPosted: 07/08/10 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I have no idea, Wie shot fucking 82, something like that, so, she may go to Stanford, she may be some sorta smart, but any idiot with her talent should be able to get around in par. You hit some short club in the short grass, you keep your ball below the hole, you two putt up the fucking hill, you shoot 73 like every other great fucking golfer on the planet, that is what you do, nope, Wie shoots 82...

TIGER.

I didn't watch, but from watching her plenty..

She must have gone in the water or something and completely derailed.

Now, I also think she'll have a really good round tomorrow..perhaps even sneak into the cut, but won't have a shot at contending.

edit: oi, +11 is only 78th..wow..

PostPosted: 07/08/10 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

TIGER.

Now, I also think she'll have a really good round tomorrow..perhaps even sneak into the cut, but won't have a shot at contending.

There is a 10 shot rule on the cut, other than that it is top 60 and ties.

PostPosted: 07/08/10 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

TIGER.

There is a 10 shot rule on the cut, other than that it is top 60 and ties.

After I wrote this, I had to go pick up some food, and I was thinking about it, and I'm a bit ashamed to say this but I'm going to anyway.

When I look at Wie's talent, and I see how she plays (her scores), I'm beginning to think she just has no respect for the courses and the players, that is the way I am starting to feel about it, Wie has talent like nobody's business, so I'm starting to not buy into the whole, "I'm just trying to play the best I can". I'm starting to believe she simply does not respect the game or the players she is charged with defeating...

ETA: I guess I need to translate this statement.

Basically in golf, the first rule is, you have to be honest with yourself. You have to accept the numbers, good or bad, no matter what you shoot, the number is your grade so to speak.

So I guess what I am saying is I don't believe that Wie quite accepts the numbers, I think in her head she thinks she is better than everybody else. Well, Missouri, show me sweetheart!

PostPosted: 07/08/10 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think so.

I think she's a choker. She has more pressure on her than anyone else..and there's a part of me that thinks that perhaps..she doesn't actually want to be a golfer..and that her parents want her to be a golfer..

PostPosted: 07/08/10 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I don't think so.

I think she's a choker. She has more pressure on her than anyone else..and there's a part of me that thinks that perhaps..she doesn't actually want to be a golfer..and that her parents want her to be a golfer..

Well, and this is conjecture, of course, but I don't think she is a choker, I think if you look at her record, Hell!, look at that bunker shot she hit that ended up winning her first tournament on the LPGA!

I don't think she chokes, I think that she just does not accept the score, the grade, I think she gets on the driving range and hits shots nobody else with tits can hit, and then she gets on the course and reality sets in, I simply think she can not reconcile her result verses what she does in practice...

PostPosted: 07/08/10 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Whalen13 wrote:

Well, it would be nice, but of course I understand that folks work, so they can't watch, but I have to re-state this, the round that Kid outta U of Arkansas played was maybe the best Open Amateur round I have ever seen, because, it was a grinder... amazing is what it was, and no doubt there will be a lot of ink tonight describing it, are you kidding me?

That said, Lang is leading right now, honestly, this is just another typical round of golf for Brittany Lang, so it will be interesting how she feels tomorrow...

I taped this and Shean easily could have been -6 for her round. Left a bunch of birdie chances out there.

I never expect Lang to win anything. Always in contention at a major though.

Rooting for Christina Kim just to see what the celebration would be like.

Fans got a treat with the Major winners pairing with Nordquist, Kerr and Tseng.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 07/08/10 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
Whalen13 wrote:

I taped this and Shean easily could have been -6 for her round. Left a bunch of birdie chances out there.

I never expect Lang to win anything. Always in contention at a major though.

Rooting for Christina Kim just to see what the celebration would be like.

Fans got a treat with the Major winners pairing with Nordquist, Kerr and Tseng.

Wow!, I've ben writing these LPGA threads forever!

Shean played the best amateur round I can remember in an Open, man or woman, what I liked about it was she really seemed to be having fun, if you are going to lead an an Open, as an amateur, FFS, enjoy it, and she did. She was sorta not involved until she heard Ernie Els was watching, apparently that really shook her up...

I agree, this is just another typical round of Brittany Lang, frankly she did not hit the ball that well, so if she goes out and hits the ball the way she knows how, could be another 69...

Chistina Kim is the BOMB!

Yep, watching that foursome would be awesome. Kerr played well, but don't underestimate Nordquist... she is just the kind of player that could win this thing.

Personally, I like K-mac at this point...

PostPosted: 07/08/10 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OFFS! Just scanned the LPGA page, they DID NOT interview Shean.

OK, Kelli, I seriously apologize for saying this,

OFFS! The lone amateur, no interview, she is deaf! She is a product of the Ernie Els foundation,

I'm speechless... what fucking planet?

Sigh Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/08/10 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
I don't think so.

Well, and this is conjecture, of course, but I don't think she is a choker, I think if you look at her record, Hell!, look at that bunker shot she hit that ended up winning her first tournament on the LPGA!

I don't think she chokes, I think that she just does not accept the score, the grade, I think she gets on the driving range and hits shots nobody else with tits can hit, and then she gets on the course and reality sets in, I simply think she can not reconcile her result verses what she does in practice...

Ok, and there is smoke literally coming outta my ears right now, I shall try to remain calm.

Press tent, interviews, LPGA, USGA, interviewed Wie after her fucking 82.

Are you god damned kidding me? Why in the fuck are they interviewing a one time winner, of no real ranking in the LPGA after shooting God damned 82!?

No fucking wonder the girl is living in fucking fantasy land....

PostPosted: 07/09/10 6:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kids, I apologize for my language, you need to know that foul language will get you exactly no where in life...

PostPosted: 07/09/10 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some scoring commentary before the game comes on the tube.

Shean shot Harvey Martin today, plenty good enough kid, you made the cut in your first US Open, and you are still in it!

[no matter how bad things get, you always want to beat the snowman, so Harvey Martin is the way you do that Wink ]

Lang shot 74, still there at plus 1.

Kerr shot 71, right there at plus 1.

Christina Kim! Shot 72, in at plus 2 after two rounds. Most likely just one shot outta first tonight...

PostPosted: 07/09/10 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sucks that PLAY is suspended for the day,

BUT, it's great that they went ahead and called it early, the players get to leave, the course staff and volunteers know what's going on. Hopefully tomorrow they get back on schedule.

ETA:

Just a bit of comment on the situation, play is suspended for the day.

I'm not sure exactly what changes they can make over night, but I do think the main reason they sent everyone home is they did not want to give somebody a couple of hours opportunity to attack this course, so they will come back tomorrow.

They can't change the pins, but I assume they can shave the greens.

The above said, I think the players finished right now, Kerr, Lang, C. Kim, they have to be happy, they have the rest of the day off, and won't have to tee it up until 2 or 3 Saturday afternoon. I think this is a huge deal for Kerr, since I have questioned her fitness.

But for those who are in the middle, or have not started their 2nd round, I think it is catch 22. On the one hand you would take par in a heart beat. But on the other hand, the course is likely going to be soft in the morning so it's an opportunity to shoot a low number. That could be enough to win the damned thing.

PostPosted: 07/09/10 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This seems to happen every year at one of the majors. The interesting thing is that even though I don't know how this course will play, you can pencil Inkster in for a low score on saturday(if she makes the cut).

Of the rounds finished, I think it was most important for Alexis Thompson. She seems to tire late in rounds, so only having to play 18 tomorrow is great. As well as it is good to see the 15 yr old making the cut.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 07/09/10 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
This seems to happen every year at one of the majors. The interesting thing is that even though I don't know how this course will play, you can pencil Inkster in for a low score on saturday(if she makes the cut).

Of the rounds finished, I think it was most important for Alexis Thompson. She seems to tire late in rounds, so only having to play 18 tomorrow is great. As well as it is good to see the 15 yr old making the cut.

Inkster, I think she played herself out of it.

Thompson, I won't go there except to say, she pocketed some serious change when she turned pro.

Look at Myazato, or look at the say top ten Koreans, well, it costs a pretty chunk of change to have your logo on these players

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: