RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2010 US Open Golf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/19/10 10:17 pm    ::: 2010 US Open Golf Reply Reply with quote

Dustin Johnson, Good grief.

Tiger hit a gutsy 3 wood on 18 starting out over the bay, onto the green. Johnson hits driver same line as Tiger over both trees designed to cause trouble and then gets home with a 6 iron outta the rough.

Tiger said jokingly, the guy is "stupid long".

No shit!

PostPosted: 06/19/10 10:24 pm    ::: Re: 2010 US Open Golf Reply Reply with quote

First time I've seen Tiger look like Tiger in a LONG time..good to see. Razz

I'll be interested to see how Dustin does tomorrow, as well as McDowell. Tiger's still very very in this..in fact, pre..um..personal collapse, I would have favored Tiger. Now, I don't know.

My original prediction was -2 wins, now I'm thinking -3 or -4

PostPosted: 06/20/10 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been gone for a couple of days and am just seeing some of this. What's with the greens?

Disease?

Bugs?

Weather?

Is it messing with play?

idchafee

PostPosted: 06/20/10 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dustin Johnson was a total train wreck today.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/20/10 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never would have thought Ernie Phil and Tiger would choke.

PostPosted: 06/21/10 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I've been gone for a couple of days and am just seeing some of this. What's with the greens?

Disease?

Bugs?

Weather?

Is it messing with play?

Pebble Beach has poa annua greens, well I don't think they are 100%, but poa annua is a wild seeded grass that grows fast and seeds heavily, the poa annua also tends to die off in the heat, when you get too much of it you have to replace the greens in warm environments because it all dies off in July and August.

Because of the fast growth and seeds they are bumpy. Playing in Atlantic City the LPGA played similiar greens this week. The greens have always been that way at Pebble.

Add US Open speed, put down hill or side hill, it's really hard to keep a putt on line. Everyone plays the same course.

Most of the bitching about the course is sort of an annual mime. The USGA wants the course to play to about par, pros who don't adapt tend to make a lot of mistakes by not respecting the layout trying to make birdies. Some holes play over par some under par, but the winner is the one who shoots about par, this year is no different.

PostPosted: 06/21/10 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Disease?

Bugs?

Weather?

Is it messing with play?

Pebble Beach has poa annua greens, well I don't think they are 100%, but poa annua is a wild seeded grass that grows fast and seeds heavily, the poa annua also tends to die off in the heat, when you get too much of it you have to replace the greens in warm environments because it all dies off in July and August.

Because of the fast growth and seeds they are bumpy. Playing in Atlantic City the LPGA played similiar greens this week. The greens have always been that way at Pebble.

Add US Open speed, put down hill or side hill, it's really hard to keep a putt on line. Everyone plays the same course.

Most of the bitching about the course is sort of an annual mime. The USGA wants the course to play to about par, pros who don't adapt tend to make a lot of mistakes by not respecting the layout trying to make birdies. Some holes play over par some under par, but the winner is the one who shoots about par, this year is no different.

So what's the benefit of the poa annua greens?

Sounds like a pain in the ass for the greenskeeping crew.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/21/10 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Disease?

Bugs?

Weather?

Is it messing with play?

So what's the benefit of the poa annua greens?

Sounds like a pain in the ass for the greenskeeping crew.

Poa annua is sorta like the Godfather, where it grows, it eventually rules. It makes an offer the greens can't refuse! Actually I think I read that the greens at pebble are all poa annua. I think it's too cool there so it never dies off. So they just let it go. I think Olympic Club in LA is the same way. basically there are two kinds of grass prevalent in cold and cool weather. Poa and bent. Where it's cold, and then hot in the summer, the bent wins. Where it's cool like the West and NE coasts, poa wins.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: