RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Athletica may fold

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 16338



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/10 11:10 am    ::: Athletica may fold Reply Reply with quote

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/free-kicks/free-kicks/2010/05/athletica-ac-st-louis-rumors/

they also have the lowest attendance, averaging just a little over 3,000 a game.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13620
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/10 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they get everything worked out. It would be horrible for the league and all the players if another team folded.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 16338



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/10 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
I hope they get everything worked out. It would be horrible for the league and all the players if another team folded.


However, The LA Sol are believed to have new ownership in place for the team to return in 2011. I hope that's true as they were the most successful team in 2009.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13620
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/10 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
I hope they get everything worked out. It would be horrible for the league and all the players if another team folded.


However, The LA Sol are believed to have new ownership in place for the team to return in 2011. I hope that's true as they were the most successful team in 2009.


That would be awesome if they do bring back the Sol. But what happens with the team does it become an expansion team, do former Sol players have the option to come back to LA?



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 16338



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/10 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
I hope they get everything worked out. It would be horrible for the league and all the players if another team folded.


However, The LA Sol are believed to have new ownership in place for the team to return in 2011. I hope that's true as they were the most successful team in 2009.


That would be awesome if they do bring back the Sol. But what happens with the team does it become an expansion team, do former Sol players have the option to come back to LA?


I guess we'll find out in the offseason what exactly happens. It's believed that the league is also looking at Dallas, Seattle, Denver & San Diego for expansion as the league's goal was to be at 12 teams by 2012(see link below).


http://www.examiner.com/x-4128-Boston-Pro-Soccer-Examiner~y2010m4d8-Antonucci-says-WPS-crossmarketing-with-USWNT-and-World-Cup-expanding-broadcast-deals



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13620
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/10 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I guess we'll find out in the offseason what exactly happens. It's believed that the league is also looking at Dallas, Seattle, Denver & San Diego for expansion as the league's goal was to be at 12 teams by 2012(see link below).


http://www.examiner.com/x-4128-Boston-Pro-Soccer-Examiner~y2010m4d8-Antonucci-says-WPS-crossmarketing-with-USWNT-and-World-Cup-expanding-broadcast-deals


Thanks for the link, that would be awesome if the LA Sol returned next season, I miss watching them season.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 16338



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/10 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I guess we'll find out in the offseason what exactly happens. It's believed that the league is also looking at Dallas, Seattle, Denver & San Diego for expansion as the league's goal was to be at 12 teams by 2012(see link below).


http://www.examiner.com/x-4128-Boston-Pro-Soccer-Examiner~y2010m4d8-Antonucci-says-WPS-crossmarketing-with-USWNT-and-World-Cup-expanding-broadcast-deals


Thanks for the link, that would be awesome if the LA Sol returned next season, I miss watching them season.


They were the best team in 2009. Even if St. Louis folds, with LA returning and possibly Seattle & Denver joining(my top 2), the league should still be in good shape.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13620
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/10 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I guess we'll find out in the offseason what exactly happens. It's believed that the league is also looking at Dallas, Seattle, Denver & San Diego for expansion as the league's goal was to be at 12 teams by 2012(see link below).


http://www.examiner.com/x-4128-Boston-Pro-Soccer-Examiner~y2010m4d8-Antonucci-says-WPS-crossmarketing-with-USWNT-and-World-Cup-expanding-broadcast-deals


Thanks for the link, that would be awesome if the LA Sol returned next season, I miss watching them season.


They were the best team in 2009. Even if St. Louis folds, with LA returning and possibly Seattle & Denver joining(my top 2), the league should still be in good shape.


Being the best team in 2009 doesn't mean much if LA is granted an expansion team, especially if may of the former Sol players don't return. I think a lot of fans are still unhappy about the Sol folding and the way the WPS handled it.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
MattinDE



Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 325



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/30/10 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really a shame to see the Athletica go. At halftime of the Philadelphia vs. Washington game, they said that the Athletica's sponsors pulled out. That's why everything went south. Sad Before the Independence came into the league, the Athletica were my favorite team.
jimmyk



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 3999
Location: Bristol. TN


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/01/10 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MattinDE wrote:
It's really a shame to see the Athletica go. At halftime of the Philadelphia vs. Washington game, they said that the Athletica's sponsors pulled out. That's why everything went south. Sad Before the Independence came into the league, the Athletica were my favorite team.


I would like to know who those sponsors are so I don't use them anymore.

Although, I must say, it saddens me to see Citi's logo on every player's shirt. Those people are nothing but pond scum.


MattinDE



Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 325



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/02/10 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just call the Atlanta Beat the "Athletica East". They signed Hope Solo, Lori Chalupny, and Aluko (an English forward). WOW! Talk about an overnight overhaul! Smile

Shannon Boxx went to FC Gold Pride to join Marta.
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13620
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/02/10 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MattinDE wrote:
Just call the Atlanta Beat the "Athletica East". They signed Hope Solo, Lori Chalupny, and Aluko (an English forward). WOW! Talk about an overnight overhaul! Smile

Shannon Boxx went to FC Gold Pride to join Marta.


This sucks, not only for the players, but for the league. Losing two of the best teams from 2009 has to be tough for the league to handle. I hope the other 7 teams are able to stay strong for the rest of the season and can help keep the league running. I hope LA gets a team back and I hope this time the owners will be in it for the long haul not just one year.

This is such a great opportunity for women soccer players and it sucks to see it crumble before your eyes like it is. I hope it can become a stable force and once stability is found they can begin growing.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
jimmyk



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 3999
Location: Bristol. TN


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/03/10 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MattinDE wrote:
Just call the Atlanta Beat the "Athletica East". They signed Hope Solo, Lori Chalupny, and Aluko (an English forward). WOW! Talk about an overnight overhaul! Smile

Shannon Boxx went to FC Gold Pride to join Marta.


Holy cow. Hope Solo is in Atlanta. A trip to Georgia really needs to be in my future.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 16338



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/06/10 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just hope the rumors of the LA Sol returning come through. I'd also like to see Seattle given a team, if there's ownership out there.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin