RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stolen ABL logo?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 06/20/10 10:04 pm    ::: Stolen ABL logo? Reply Reply with quote

Here's the logo for the Hull Stingrays, an English Elite League Hockey team:

Don't you think it looks suspiciously similar to the logo for the Long Beach Stingrays:

PostPosted: 06/20/10 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

interesting. i remember when a minor league basketball team called the Delaware Stars stole the SASS logo and simply erased "silver".

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
FS02

PostPosted: 06/20/10 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy crap, that's shameless. Shocked

PostPosted: 06/20/10 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is shameless. But it's a pretty cool logo, in my opinion (I like the animal mascots).

PostPosted: 06/20/10 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shameless? You bet!

But that could only have happen if you take the logo from a defunct team and/or league. That way, there would be little chance of a trademark lawsuit.

norwester

PostPosted: 06/20/10 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Shameless? You bet!

But that could only have happen if you take the logo from a defunct team and/or league. That way, there would be little chance of a trademark lawsuit.

There could still be a lawsuit by the company or graphic designer who created the logo, though, right? They sold it to the one team, but not the other...

PostPosted: 06/20/10 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
Shameless? You bet!

There could still be a lawsuit by the company or graphic designer who created the logo, though, right? They sold it to the one team, but not the other...

I don't know if cross-country lawsuits is possible? Like pilight said, it's an English team. Is that possible?

PostPosted: 06/20/10 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I remember mentioning about the possibilities of a lawsuit with a similar thread last year, involving a men's team from the ABA called the Cleveland Rockers, who ripped off the WNBA Cleveland Rockers logo. The biggest difference is that the colors are different.

Thre referred thread:
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=611846

The "other" Cleveland Rockers:
http://www.kevanfoxmedia.com/cleveland/

norwester

PostPosted: 06/21/10 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
norwester wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
Shameless? You bet!

I don't know if cross-country lawsuits is possible? Like pilight said, it's an English team. Is that possible?

I don't know...but I thought Copyright laws were international in nature.

PostPosted: 06/21/10 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can't just nick something because it was created in a different country. Might make suing a bit more complicated, but it certainly doesn't make it legal.

That's a really egregious theft. They didn't even change the font or anything. I see a tiny, tiny difference in the eyes, but that's it apart from the colours.

I guess there's a small possibility that they found the logo online, liked it and contacted whoever owns the rights to purchase it, but that seems unlikely. Outright theft seems more probable.

norwester

PostPosted: 06/21/10 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, there is also the glaring difference of a hockey puck versus a basketball in its clutches. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Perhaps someone here should find out the creator of the graphic and email them (if such can be done over the internet). Not that I want to bury some hockey team in England, but my Aunt is a graphic artist, and has been screwed over by companies before stealing her work, so I'm a touch sensitive.

PostPosted: 06/21/10 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arent the NHL's LA Kings the Same Color and logo or close to the Sacramento Kings ?

PostPosted: 06/21/10 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
You can't just nick something because it was created in a different country. Might make suing a bit more complicated, but it certainly doesn't make it legal.

That's a really egregious theft. They didn't even change the font or anything. I see a tiny, tiny difference in the eyes, but that's it apart from the colours.

I guess there's a small possibility that they found the logo online, liked it and contacted whoever owns the rights to purchase it, but that seems unlikely. Outright theft seems more probable.

There are a few small differences. The tips of the wings point down instead of up. The curl of the tail was moved slightly when the ball was replaced with a puck. The bottom of the Stingray was moved up slightly (note how the fang looking ends of the T and Y extend beyond the bottom of the Hull logo but not the Long Beach one).

It is a cool logo, however, and I kinda like the idea of the ABL legacy living on even if it is in an English hockey league.

PostPosted: 06/21/10 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a trademark lawyer by any stretch, but does anyone own the trademark (logo) since the team and the league disbanded ?

rustedsyringe

PostPosted: 06/21/10 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

About a hundred years ago, I remember reading something about how changing 10% of a logo avoids any copyright infringement. Can anyone back that up?

Also, are we sure that there wasn't an agreement between the English team and the Powers behind this logo?

In any case, I agree that I like the legacy living on. And I love stingrays!

rokky10

PostPosted: 06/21/10 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Arent the NHL's LA Kings the Same Color and logo or close to the Sacramento Kings ?

I believe they were both owed by the Maloofs at one point

PostPosted: 06/21/10 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
I'm not a trademark lawyer by any stretch, but does anyone own the trademark (logo) since the team and the league disbanded ?

The artist owns the rights to the logo unless it's deemed creative commons (it most likely wasn't) If it was sold to the team them the majority owner retains the rights after disconsolation

PostPosted: 06/21/10 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember a couple of years ago, just after moving back to Louisville, I was in a Kroger and I saw this guy in his 20s with a Reign t-shirt on...only it wasn't a Reign t-shirt it was for some band (don't remember the name) and the only thing that was different is it didn't say Seattle or Reign in the logo, but other than that it was the exact same even in the color combination.

ddubdawg

PostPosted: 06/21/10 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

double post, sorry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: