RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Basketball Players
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 08/11/05 6:00 pm    ::: Basketball Players Reply Reply with quote

I was wondering how many posters have actually played basketball and on what level, position, etc.

I'll start...

I played High School, and I was a 3 until senior year. Last year, my senior year, I was forced to play point guard. I've started every game since sophomore year.

Also, has anyone ever reffed?

I've reffed girl's basketball 6th - 8th graders.

Kind of random, just being curious though.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/11/05 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never played any organized ball. I never really liked basketball until I was in HS.

PostPosted: 08/11/05 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I play in a low level mixed competition.

No set position but I'm generally the hustle player. Being shorter, slower and less athletic than most of the guys doesn't help though Embarassed

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 08/11/05 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I became a hustle player last year and a defensive stopper. I didn't really shoot a lot because I was handling the ball and trying to prevent turnovers.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 08/11/05 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I played for one practice. They called me a "forward." I thought they were calling me a Ford because of how big I was. Haven't played on a team since...but I have always found a way to shoot hoops, either in the backyard or (now) in the front yard.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I was a very odd kid.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/11/05 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I played "shooting guard" in fifth and sixth grade. This basically meant I didn't have to touch the ball often, which was fine, because having the ball kind of scared me.

In two years, I never scored.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/11/05 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I played "shooting guard" in fifth and sixth grade. This basically meant I didn't have to touch the ball often, which was fine, because having the ball kind of scared me.

Not until he was much older did he score with balls...

Smoovie

PostPosted: 08/12/05 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

High School and aau, but I put all my work in on the track. Got myself a four year ride at GW. Now I coach, 8 year olds. If I'm not too busy, I scout for a local aau team.

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
boilerjay

PostPosted: 08/12/05 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Played combo guard in high school (3 yrs varsity, 1 JV) Try to play in leagues and tournaments every chance I get.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/12/05 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been playing in mens social leagues for just over 10 years now - predominantly in the lowest available grade Wink
I play shooting guard, occasionally moving to SF if we're fielding a short team on the night (I'm just under 6'0, with zero vertical leap).
Good defender, terrible ball handler, decent outside shooter.

PostPosted: 08/12/05 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I played in Jr High and High School. Was the starting PG for our varsity team for 3 years. We won District my Jr year. I have coached a little boys team, much to the chagrin of their dads. Rolling Eyes
I have also refereed some.

PEACE
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/12/05 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
(I'm just under 6'0, with zero vertical leap)

Hmmm...just under 6-0, zero vertical leap...sounds like half the Mercury...and half the Mercury Brigade. Smile

BCBG25

PostPosted: 08/12/05 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Played up until junior year in college and throughout high school.
Played both guard positions, 5'10", lightning quick, athletic, deadly 3-pointer, career-high 47 pts, and at least one technical/game (here we don't get ejected for being t'd up more than once in a game).
Now I'm only a shadow of myself and playing pick up games with my overweight co-workers lol

PostPosted: 08/12/05 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Not until he was much older did he score with balls...

Ha Ha!

Bitch.

mysticsfan07

PostPosted: 08/12/05 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I played all through Middle School and my Freshman year. I played SG mostly, although coaches always tryed to put me at PG (FINALLY they realized that I could not be trusted bringing the ball up the court). I was fast, but not really quick. I was a defensive stopper/three point shooter, and I was a decent passer.

sambista

PostPosted: 08/12/05 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i've played the rah in the pros for eight years now. (and if you don't know what that is, you can google it.)

PostPosted: 08/12/05 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
i've played the rah in the pros for eight years now. (and if you don't know what that is, you can google it.)

You've played the stock market?
RAH (RALCORP HOLDINGS INC)

41.69 -0.96 (-2.25%) 12 Aug at 12:25PM ET
Open: 42.55
High: 42.65
Low: 41.67
Volume: 44,800
Avg Vol: 215,000
Mkt Cap: 1,235.86M

We know the truth. Bibb is actually short for Bibby and you're really Henry Bibby Shocked

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/12/05 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
sebibb wrote:

You've played the stock market?
RAH (RALCORP HOLDINGS INC)

41.69 -0.96 (-2.25%) 12 Aug at 12:25PM ET
Open: 42.55
High: 42.65
Low: 41.67
Volume: 44,800
Avg Vol: 215,000
Mkt Cap: 1,235.86M

We know the truth. Bibb is actually short for Bibby and you're really Henry Bibby Shocked

Then, by all means Henry, keep up the good work!

sambista

PostPosted: 08/12/05 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

that cut deeply, dts. (sniff!)

PostPosted: 08/12/05 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Come on Hank, at least you've got that championship ring from the Sixers; so what if Mike won't talk to you....come to think of it, your players don't either do they?

sambista

PostPosted: 08/12/05 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
sebibb wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Come on Hank, at least you've got that championship ring from the Sixers; so what if Mike won't talk to you....come to think of it, your players don't either do they?

they talk to me, but i'm not sure they're sincere.

PostPosted: 08/12/05 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

started playing in 3rd grade in Juneau Alaska. didn't have school teams until 7th grade so I played Parks & Rec 3rd-6th. Made the 8th grade team as a 7th grader (as a PF) and made the Freshman team as an 8th grader (PF/SF). Wound up playing 2 years of Freshman ball (was the last JV cut in 9th grade....9th was still considered Jr. High in Juneau). Moved to Sitka to begin High School. Played some JV as a Soph (SF) but missed 17 of 25 games with a torn ligament in my ankle. Did dress for 3 Varsity games when I was healthy. Made Varsity as a Jr. but with 8 Seniors and a coach who only liked to play 7 players, I PLAYED junior varsity (SF/SG)and basically kept stats and waved a towel from the bench during Varsity games. Senior year, I started every game at PG, was honorable mention all conference as well as defensive player of the year in the conference and was honorable mention all state.

Got 2 scholorship offers from NAIA schools but neither was my cup of tea so I turned both down. I attended a Junior College in Des Moines Wa. (those from the Seattle area know that I am glorifying the hell out of that...it's a Community College. Embarassed ). I caught the eye of the head basketball coach at an open gym and he offered me a partial scholorship. I took my physical, failed it due to a degenerative condition in both knees, and immediately retired from the game of basketball on the spot.

I did some ref work for Jr. High games while in High School. Ref'd a lot of games played by high school kids at various basketball camps. It is the single most thankless job there is. But those who do it could always stand to improve their craft. Wink

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 08/12/05 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
at least one technical/game

Shocked

BCBG25

PostPosted: 08/12/05 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PennyTfan1 wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
at least one technical/game

Shocked

It's called the Taurasi syndrome. I never fouled anyone, I was always fouled Wink

PostPosted: 08/12/05 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Played on a team in law school...now play recreationally. Working more on creating my own shot. Have to say, it really helps watching the women's players. While Beard is my favorite, I will never have her left hand or her ability to drive. When it comes to creating space and creating my own shot, The Baby has been very helpful with her side-steps and jump stops.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: