RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Worst Buffy episodes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/09/05 9:26 am    ::: Worst Buffy episodes Reply Reply with quote

OK, I'm bored. So, I'll entertain Cam and the rest of the Buffy fans with my list of the worst 10 Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes...

10 THE PACK - Season 1. Demonic Hyenas. Nuff said.

9 FOOL FOR LOVE - Season 5. Spike reminisces. A yawner.

8 HIM - Season 7. Didn't we do this once? Oh yeah, in season 2's "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered". This was the one episode that made me think BtVS had run its course.

7 LIVING CONDITIONS - Season 4. Buffy has a roommate from hell! Worse, the ending was stolen from a Star Trek episode, "The Squire of Gothos", without even a Buffy-like twist on it.

6 ALL THE WAY - Season 6. Dawn at her absolutely most annoying. How can she not recognize a vampire after years of living with the slayer? Luckily this ep was buried in the "Once More with Feeling" hype, as the musical episode came the next week.

5 REPTILE BOY - Season 2. Buffy and Cordelia, who hate each other, go to a frat party together. There they are attacked by an impossibly phallic snake creature. Contrived doesn't even begin to explain the plot here.

4 BEER BAD - Season 4. TV is a good thing. Bright colors. Music. Tiny little people. I never cared much for BtVS when it was moralizing, and this is perhaps the worst episode in that regard.

3 WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE - Season 4. Our hero spends the whole ep in Riley's bedroom. It's possible to have a good ep in which Buffy plays a small part, but this ain't it.

2 DOUBLEMEAT PALACE - Season 6. Throughout the first six seasons, BtVS took classic horror scenarios and put a twist on them. This is their try at Soylent Green. Well, sort of. Instead of a grand conspiracy, there's just a woman with a lamprey in her head. Perhaps the most amazing thing is that Buffy remained employed at the DoubleMeat Palace for five more episodes.

1 SPIRAL - Season 5. Look, I'm all for surrealism. However, the scoobies in the Winnebago being chased by guys with swords and chainmail is just too much. Fox announced they were dropping the show right after this ep, which can't be a coincidence.

PostPosted: 08/09/05 9:59 am    ::: Re: Worst Buffy episodes Reply Reply with quote

Pretty good, but with a very important exception. "Restless," from Season 4 is No. 1 on my list by a long, long distance. It's the only episode I couldn't get myself to watch all of. There is a reason why only two of Whedon's big thematic experiments ("Once More, With Feeling," "Hush") are remembered.

I would also add "Superstar" from Season 4. Jonathon was only once an interesting character, and this was definitely not it.

For me, these two would replace "Spiral" and "Where the Wild Things Are" which I think you are a little too hard on. Sure they aren't great, but ....

No surprise that Season 4 is so well-represented.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/09/05 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really liked both "Restless" and "Superstar".

Season 4 was very inconsistent. Some very good eps along with some very bad. Adam could have been an interesting big bad if done right, instead he was underutilized. Buffy only saw him three times all season.

PostPosted: 08/09/05 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

No accounting for taste, I suppose Smile

pilight wrote:
Season 4 was very inconsistent. Some very good eps along with some very bad. Adam could have been an interesting big bad if done right, instead he was underutilized. Buffy only saw him three times all season.

I think Season 4 could have been much better had it focused less on Riley and more on the Initiative as a whole. Riley was a real bore, but the idea of the Initiative and Adam could have been really interesting if explored more. I liked the idea of the military unit and would have liked them to be something of an occassional presence during the remainder of the show. Even if it was for no other reason to let us finally stop relying on Xander's "military training."

herrade

PostPosted: 08/09/05 11:01 am    ::: Re: Worst Buffy episodes Reply Reply with quote

i would generally say that every episode from the last season would be on my list. IMO, the series should have ended with buffy's death in season 5. of course, season six had a few gems that i wouldn't give up -- tabula rasa in particular. that ep made the angel version, spin the bottle, look like the cheap knock-off it was.

i agree with the shittiness factor of all the eps in pilight's list, except maybe the pack.

PostPosted: 08/09/05 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

i liked restless, too. superstar was ok, though buffy's weakness grated on me.

PostPosted: 08/09/05 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
2 DOUBLEMEAT PALACE - Season 6. Throughout the first six seasons, BtVS took classic horror scenarios and put a twist on them. This is their try at Soylent Green. Well, sort of. Instead of a grand conspiracy, there's just a woman with a lamprey in her head. Perhaps the most amazing thing is that Buffy remained employed at the DoubleMeat Palace for five more episodes.

The absolute worst!

I enjoyed season seven. I used to think season six was my least favorite, but then I remembered how annoying the initiative was in season four.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/09/05 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worst Buffy regular character: Riley Finn. He was so vanilla, he was making me lose interest...and he made Buffy lose interest as well. Right behind him was Dawn, circa seasons five and six.

Angel was my favorite Buffy character, though I really liked the entire cast.

And we know that Anya is PUMatty's favorite!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/09/05 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Worst Buffy regular character: Riley Finn. He was so vanilla, he was making me lose interest...and he made Buffy lose interest as well. Right behind him was Dawn, circa seasons five and six.

Actually Faith is my favorite. I love Eliza and I loved Faith's complexity. And her scenes with the Mayor just crack me up.

Spike is probably second.

Anya is a great font of one-liners and I think that Emma Caufield is a comedic genius who should be working regularly. But I didn't think the writers let the character's depth come out often enough. Although, her speech in "The Body" puts me in tears every time I see it.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/09/05 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Dawn was by far my least favorite regular. Spike was closing on her when the series ended, however.

My favorite was Tara.

I've expressed my thoughts on Angel several times. He was too old to be messing around with a 16 year old, even if you don't count his years as a vampire. That always creeped me out.

PostPosted: 08/09/05 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Dawn was by far my least favorite regular. Spike was closing on her when the series ended, however.

My favorite was Tara.

I've expressed my thoughts on Angel several times. He was too old to be messing around with a 16 year old, even if you don't count his years as a vampire. That always creeped me out.

I am glad to see someone else with that response to Angel. I was always a little creeped out by it and couldn't buy the Grand Love Story between the two. The brooding was also quite tiring.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/09/05 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The brooding was also quite tiring.

Oh, I loved that. Nothing like unavailable men to make me swoon...

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/09/05 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few lesbian friends have commented that the actress playing Tara was one of the few straight actors who was "believeable" as a lesbian.

Keegan

PostPosted: 08/09/05 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn is definitely my least favourite. At least Riley had some good looks to distract me Wink Angel was annoying too - still trapped in adolescence after several centuries? Yipes!

Doublemeat Palace is probably my #1 worst ep as well. Several more which deserved to be mentioned is the Inca Girl and Fish Monster eps from Season 2. Actually most of Season 6 qualifies as crap (and that's where I basically stopped watching).

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/11/05 2:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Actually Faith is my favorite. I love Eliza and I loved Faith's complexity. And her scenes with the Mayor just crack me up.

Spike is probably second.

Anya is a great font of one-liners and I think that Emma Caufield is a comedic genius who should be working regularly. But I didn't think the writers let the character's depth come out often enough. Although, her speech in "The Body" puts me in tears every time I see it.

Ah, Faith. I loved the soft butch look of her. And if a discussion of Faith isn't enough to bring Bluewolf out of retirement, I don't know what will!

Anya was annoying at first, but she really grew on me with her one-liners, literal interpretation, and sheer blunt nature.

And where is the love for Drusilla? I loved Juliette Landau. Oh, and that line Spike had in season 7 ("You're not Dru; she was crazier than you are") when speaking with the First was priceless.

As for the worst villain, I am tempted to put Adam there, but as Pilight noted, we don't know what would have happened had there been more interaction with Buffy. So I am going with Warren, who just irked me. At least Andrew had the whole sexual ambiguity thing for comedic relief.

Overall most annoying Buffy character (after Riley being my least favorite regular and Warren being my least favorite villain)...HARMONY.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/16/05 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, I should have mentioned "Hell's Bells" from season 6. Not a bad ep overall, but I still don't get how Xander believes the old man is him when there's about a foot of height difference between them.

PostPosted: 08/16/05 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

faith was hot. the way eliza played the scenes with buffy to pull up all that sexual tension was delicious.

i think willow and giles were my two favorite characters. i know giles didn't do much, but he was solid -- a relief sometimes from the babbling prats. allison hannigan just made willow so believable in her innocence, both as a force of good and of evil.

i found tara physically attractive, but the character always annoyed me. she may have been my least favorite regular.

glory was the most annoying villan; the first was the worst.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/16/05 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hit "Doublemeat Palace" again in my DVDs last night. I had forgotten how bad it was. And, frankly, as a former fastfood worker, I can't help but be a little offended Rolling Eyes

BCBG25

PostPosted: 08/16/05 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I consider myself a freak. I never liked Buffy, Seinfeld, Friends, etc...always liked the HBO series better...go figure...

PostPosted: 08/16/05 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I consider myself a freak. I never liked Buffy, Seinfeld, Friends, etc...always liked the HBO series better...go figure...

i never liked seinfeld, friends, or any of the HBO series!

i also don't like the L word. the plots are melodramatic; the characters are inane and lack chemistry; the whole LA thing annoys me; and i know this is shallow, but they just don't look or live like any lesbians i know.

i like laurel holloman, though. i'll always have a soft spot for randy and evie!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/16/05 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

I was not a Seinfeld fan...and I have never seen a full episode of Friends.

Buffy, Absolutely Fabulous, the Golden Girls, and Sex and the City. Ahhh, classics.

And from Buffy, my favorite line:
"Mom, what about home school? You know, it's not just for scary religious folks anymore."

herrade

PostPosted: 08/16/05 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Buffy, Absolutely Fabulous, the Golden Girls, and Sex and the City. Ahhh, classics.

for me its northern exposure, twin peaks, the x-files, buffy, and wonderfalls, which only lasted 13 eps.

x-files was my biggest obsession(GA was yummy in the 90s), though NX and TP probably would have been bigger if i were fully internet versatile at the time. i really wanted alias to be the next big thing for me, but it hasn't panned out.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/16/05 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

You and millions of other people... Exclamation Friends seemed to run out of gas in 2001, but luckily Survivor came along. Seinfeld seemed to get an inflated following simply because it was based in NYC. Everyone at Cornell built their study breaks around that show. Shocked That and ER, but I knew a lot of pre-meds...

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/16/05 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

You and millions of other people... Exclamation Friends seemed to run out of gas in 2001, but luckily Survivor came along. Seinfeld seemed to get an inflated following simply because it was based in NYC. Everyone at Cornell built their study breaks around that show. Shocked That and ER, but I knew a lot of pre-meds...

And Cornell is clearly in NYC. And no other TV show has ever been based there which explains why "Seinfeld" was more popular than "Mad About You" or "Felicity" for eample.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 08/16/05 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love Deadwood, probably my favorite show right now(when it comes back on) . Babylon5 was great, Buffy was great, Angel was getting better when it finished, L-Word ok, I think Weeds is gonna be good,(check it out Camm, it just seems like something you would like), the 2nd ep was on last night, it's pretty good.

Now for my really funky shows, I love "Gilmore Girls" and I also like "Everwood" , and of course I loved Dead Like Me and also Farscape was an awesome Sci-Fi show, hated to see it go, they did at least give us some closure in that small mini-series type finish.

I enjoyed the Treks for a while, It waned over the years, I watched nearly all of Deep Space 9, and most of Voyager, but I started waning on the last one, just couldn't keep my interest and it went head to head with another show that I can't remember what was, may have been Angel, but I kept getting farther and farther behind. Xena was great also.

Edited to add: I'm wondering if the this new "Night Stalker" will be any good this fall, Kolchak the sequel Smile Loved Karl in the original, he was a hoot.

Last edited by rebkell on 08/16/05 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: